Bowles and Macc have earned their extensions

Phillyjet

There you have it.  THey are outperforming expectations, young guys are developing.  The talent is not there yet, but continuity is the name of the game here.  It's time we had a regime that settled in for a while and really focused on drafting and player development.

Discuss.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah OP, at this point I almost feel like I've been pissed at Bowles because Hack stinks.  In 2016 sure, in a lost season he should have let the youngsters play more regardlees of their terribleness.  This year there really isn't that much to complain about.  Hopefully he's growing into this job.  

9 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

There you have it.  THey are outperforming expectations, young guys are developing.  The talent is not there yet, but continuity is the name of the game here.  It's time we had a regime that settled in for a while and really focused on drafting and player development.

Discuss.

let's just say the bowles launch clock has gone backwards again.  there's still plenty of football left and they need to continue to play hard and smart the rest of the way.  the way they let buffalo come back shows they have a ways to go.  when you're up 34-7 with 7 minutes or so left you win the game 34-7. period.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

let's just say the bowles launch clock has gone backwards again.  there's still plenty of football left and they need to continue to play hard and smart the rest of the way.  the way they let buffalo come back shows they have a ways to go.  when you're up 34-7 with 7 minutes or so left you win the game 34-7. period.

lol, nice turn of a phrase, :) 

7 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Bowles sucks. If you want to go by the record, the Jets should probably be at least 5-4 right now. They don't finish games and the defense at times has really underperformed, 

Bowles should be in the running for Coach of the Year.

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

lol, nice turn of a phrase, :) 

i've said all season the best thing that can happen is finding out if bowles is the right guy for next season. so far, they've played two very complete games where all phases played well. if they keep it up he should stay.

I'm so happy with the development of our younger players this off season. Darron Lee has put together 3 really strong weeks in a row. Demario Davis is having a great year and has earned a contract. Adams and Maye are really good. Our D-Line is finally playing up to expectations and Ealy has been a great addition. Claiborne has played really well. Daryl Roberts is showing something.

On Offense you have ASJ and McGuire who look like keepers. Bowles and Maac are accomplishing what they needed to accomplish this year. They deserve extensions.

The team is young and plays hard every week.

47 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Bowles should be in the running for Coach of the Year.

if they had finished off Miami and one of the other 2 (NE, Falcons) i think he'd be a top contender for the COTY.  This was considered the worst roster in the league.    6-3 ha..

problem is i think they have a pretty hard schedule coming up.  but even if they lose most of the games the team seems to be playing hard and we are just a QB away from the playoffs..

Mac was never really a question. He's done a good job here as our GM.

Hold your horses on Bowles. He needs to get the team playing well to close the season in order to keep his job. We're not in that territory yet, there's still a lot of ball to be played.

MAcc has done a solid job. Still needs to find a QB, but has done a solid job. 

Bowles is the one that has impressed me this year. True, his in game management sucks at times, but he has this team playing as a unit and believing in itself. Tough to do when you are consistently labeled as the worst team in the NFL preseason

Macc isn't going anywhere and that's a good thing.

Bowles is going to get extended barring a total collapse.  I'm indifferent to keeping him but at least they're playing hard and the chemistry is solid.  Rogers is the one that I'd love to see go but that doesn't appear to be a possibility.

I think Bowles is better at his job than Mac is.

I would bet that the Jets do not go 4-4 in their last 8 games, but they seem to be satisfying the criteria that the Johnsons set for them.  

Mac should not make next year's draft picks without supervision.

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Discuss.

No.

Getting one solid performance from a multi-year-underperforming defense does not earn an extension.

And McCown gap filling does not earn Macc and extension either.

Exceeding laughably inaccurate fan "expectations" does not warrant extensions.  Wins and playoff seasons and franchise QB's and Top 10 defenses do that.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No.

Getting one solid performance from a multi-year-underperforming defense does not earn an extension.

And McCown gap filling does not earn Macc and extension either.

Exceeding laughably inaccurate fan "expectations" does not warrant extensions.  Wins and playoff seasons and franchise QB's and Top 10 defenses do that.

I have to agree with this, also you have to temper the 'greatness' of our performance with it being a Thursday night game.  Not nearly as much preparation goes into these games.  Need continued growth/performance from this team and players individually.  That being said, i enjoyed the win and look forward to continued growth in tampa next sunday!

Macc isn't going anywhere. He has some duds but every GM does. He's done a great job outside of landing a QB. He's built a good young team that can win games without a franchise QB. Now he has to do that or eventually he will be gone but not after this year. 

Bowles is still a bad in game manager. And I wouldn't trust him with a young QB. If we signed a guy like cousins then maybe they could justify keeping bowles but I'd prefer to go in a new direction.

We were picked to be one of the worst teams in NFL history.  No talent on the squad they said.  But the coaching and front office has managed quite well.  I wouldn't say the Johnsons will make any sudden changes.  The squad is actually looking like it might produce some talent.

I have been a critic of both of them but they do deserve some kudos as well. This team was pronounced to have the worst roster in the NFL by all of the self proclaimed experts on this board and elsewhere yet they are 4-5 and could have easily been 6-3. Macc has made some questionable draft picks like picking Hack in second and not picking Watson, but overall has done good things. He had an overpaid, underachieving team last year and rightly purged the roster. Mangold, Revis, Marshall, Decker, Harris are all gone and either not in the NFL now or not producing. They were the right moves and saved millions. His pickups of Ealy, ASJ, Kerley, and Claiborne were good moves as was his trade oh Richardson, a guy we were never going to sign, to Seattle for Kearse and a second. Bowels, I'm still not sold on but he has them playing very hard and and competing every game. They seem much better prepared than they were last year. He still has his brainfarts and I can't stand that he is as emotional as a mannequin but he has done some good things with this roster and young players. I think they are both going to be extended and at this point I won't have to jump off a bridge when that happens. 

15 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I have to agree with this, also you have to temper the 'greatness' of our performance with it being a Thursday night game.  Not nearly as much preparation goes into these games.  Need continued growth/performance from this team and players individually.  That being said, i enjoyed the win and look forward to continued growth in tampa next sunday!

So what if it was a Thursday night game. This was a much more important game for the Bills and they got dominated. If it was the reverse and the Jets sh*t the bed nobody here would be providing the jets with any Thursday night game excuses. We would be killing them and rightly so. I love how every game the Jets win people make excuses. 

The only saving grace for this season is that it looks more and more likely that Darnold and Rosen are staying in school.  That way, when the Jets suck really bad next year they'll have a shot at the top pick.

Extending Mac i am ambivalent about, I always feel a GM should actually get to run an organization with a coach he picked and is totally on the same page with.  We have not had that with Mac or idzik before him.

Bowles is awful and should be fired 100% for sure but will get an extension non the less setting us up for more years of coach favoritism, sh*tty in game coaching and poor coaching all the way around.

The fact that the 1st time in about a full season and a half the D played as it should each week and look as prepared as it should each week does no tfill me with confidence that he can do this each week.

Archived