Bowles and Macc have earned their extensions

Phillyjet

4 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

So what if it was a Thursday night game. This was a much more important game for the Bills and they got dominated. If it was the reverse and the Jets sh*t the bed nobody here would be providing the jets with any Thursday night game excuses. We would be killing them and rightly so. I love how every game the Jets win people make excuses. 

Good point, a win is a win and both teams were in the same position with shorter time to prepare.  Maybe this win reflects on our ability to game plan or our opponents gaining an edge with the added time to game plan against us.  not sure but time will tell.  we have over a week to prepare for tampa and I hope we continue to grow and come out with a win.  I wasnt trying to make thursday night excuses just putting that fact out there.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SMC said:

The only saving grace for this season is that it looks more and more likely that Darnold and Rosen are staying in school.  That way, when the Jets suck really bad next year they'll have a shot at the top pick.

Personally I don't think a young QB was ever in play. Between mega whiffing on Hack and Bowles history so far we will be finding a veteran QB. Cousins, Smith or whoever else shakes free will be the QB. Guessing we keep McCown for a back up, cut Petty and keep Hack around for one more year because progress and shit. Pretty sure we were never as interested in drafting a young QB as we were made out to be. Tank? No. These guys been coaching  for 8-8 from the get go. 

18 minutes ago, SMC said:

The only saving grace for this season is that it looks more and more likely that Darnold and Rosen are staying in school.  That way, when the Jets suck really bad next year they'll have a shot at the top pick.

Maybe we give Bowles an extension. This way he feels nice an cozy and says f it, now I can play Petty or Hack and not worry about my job. boom. Number 1 pick 2019.

40 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well that is the biggest support for Bowles. In a season where most people believed the Jets would be hard pressed to win one game, the Jets have won 4.

"Most People" are idiots, and that doesn't make our four wins special, it makes people presuming we'd be 0-16 and preordering their Jets Darnold Jerseys ignorant of reality.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

No.

Getting one solid performance from a multi-year-underperforming defense does not earn an extension.

And McCown gap filling does not earn Macc and extension either.

Exceeding laughably inaccurate fan "expectations" does not warrant extensions.  Wins and playoff seasons and franchise QB's and Top 10 defenses do that.

they got rid of dead weight, we were told that they would be 0-16, and it is already clear that top to bottom they are a better team than last year.  So this is not about one game.

I don't know what to think or say. On one hand, we whiffed on Watson and he is now out for the season, not that it would have happened the same way had he been here, but still, we whiffed, no doubt. On the other hand, last night the Jet defense played as well as any Jet defense I have seen since the late 90's Parcells defense for 3 1/2 quarters. I think we are winning despite ur HC. He had Jenkins and Lee playing out of position since they were drafted, and only over the last couple of weeks did he get the brainstorm to let them rush the passer and voila. 

I need to see them continue

Remember that time that Rex won a meaningless game and got to keep his job because our idiot fanbase enjoyed whooping it up? Remember the impact that had on the direction of the franchise? How it closed the aperture during our GM search? How the GM we ended up with was at odds with the coach, and both effectively wasted two complete years of player acquisition and development? Or what QBs we missed out on as a result of the coach/GM/draft-position fallout? Should I go on...

Cause. Effect.

I don't like to root for the Jets to loose, my point though... is that our dopey ass fans and owner are too reactionary for meaningless wins to not be ultimately damaging. If we netted a few meaningless wins for the lulz, it'd be one thing. But, with us, we get a few junk wins and then the chorus of "extend him" drowns out the track-record of failure... leading to even deeper levels of failure. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

333544C8-9011-46FA-A6A8-005DEEBBF3AC.gif

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Remember that time that Rex won a meaningless game and got to keep his job because our idiot fanbase enjoyed whooping it up? Remember the impact that had on the direction of the franchise? How it closed the aperture during our GM search? How the GM we ended up with was at odds with the coach, and both effectively wasted two complete years of player acquisition and development? Or what QBs we missed out on as a result of the coach/GM/draft-position fallout? Should I go on...

Cause. Effect.

I don't like to root for the Jets to loose, my point though... is that our dopey ass fans and owner are too reactionary for meaningless wins to not be ultimately damaging. If we netted a few meaningless wins for the lulz, it'd be one thing. But, with us, we get a few junk wins and then the chorus of "extend him" drowns out the track-record of failure... leading to even deeper levels of failure. 

^^^^

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Only thing is the jets aren't going to suck any worse next year than they do now, not with 90 mil to spend and hopefully a decent draft. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

^^^^

Amazing how much of this fanbase will accept the same racket over and over and over again and not even realize they’re doing it. I swear I’m gonna run a three-card monty table in the MetLife parking lot at Jets games and make millions.

I will be the first to admit, I would like to see both of them gone. That said, I am a firm believe that the most important thing a HC can do is hire good coordinators. He seems to have hired a good OC, something our previous 10,378 HC's have not been able to do.

I also think Mac is a puppet who allows Bowles to dictate his personnel decisions (Fitz and others) far more than I would like, but a learning curve in a job like this is probably to be expected.

The odds of us replacing either with better prospects is not great given our idiot owner, so if they decide to keep them both another year and see if they are growing into their respective jobs, I won't complain.

Now, if one is fired without the other, I will lose my sh*t.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Cause. Effect.

This team is 4-5 and were so damn close to being 6-3. If we were sitting here at 6-3 would you have called those wins junk? I know this team still needs a QB and some help in other areas but I see definite progress with them this year. Their 2 worst games of the season were the first 2 and since then they have won 4 of 7 and lost 3 games by 7, 3, and 5 points and 2 of the 3 played in last years superbowl. Macc has made mistakes but I like what he has done overall. I have hope as a fan that we can spend the 90 mil we have efficiently and have a decent draft and Im not going to apologize for actually liking the fact that this team competes and has won some games. God forbid. 

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Cause. Effect.

Revise history much?  Absolutely noone wanted Rex to win that game!  

This f*cking fanbase.  Win one game and everyone should get a lifetime extension.  Nevermind that we're doing it with a 38-year old QB and 32-year old RB, with not one elite player on the roster, and 0 impact players at premium positions.

I'm OK with giving Bowles another year.  But an extension for either?  And especially for Maccagnan?  F*ck you. 

We, the fans, are why this franchise sucks.  Us. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Should also be pointed out here that the powerhouse Bills team we just beat is also undergoing a full-on rebuild.

They were 200:1 odds to win the Super Bowl.  If it weren't for us being 1000:1, the Bills would have had the distinction of having the worst Vegas odds in NFL history. 

The fact that they've won 5 games is more of a reflection of the franchise being so much healthier without Rex around, and little to do with the talent they have (or lack). 

I'm cool with keeping the status quo and letting both ride out the final year of their contracts. Macc gets one more draft and next season to prove that most of his picks are solid contributors and needs to find a better QB than McCown. Bowles has to coach the team to at least 8 wins next year. If both those things happen, we can talk extension. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should also be pointed out here that the powerhouse Bills team we just beat is also undergoing a full-on rebuild.

Once again making excuses for a win. Go figure. That Bills team was 5-2 coming in despite a full rebuild as you call it. You also forgot to mention the thursday night excuse. You're slipping. Has there been 1 win this year that doesn't have a ******* excuse attached to it? 

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Amazing how much of this fanbase will accept the same racket over and over and over again and not even realize they’re doing it. I swear I’m gonna run a three-card monty table in the MetLife parking lot at Jets games and make millions.

The best part comes in March, when the same people fluffing Maccagnan for “building through the draft” and “rebuilding the right way” start creaming their jeans because we gave a combined $100 million to Trumaine Johnson, Nate Solder, and John Brown.

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Personally I don't think a young QB was ever in play. Between mega whiffing on Hack and Bowles history so far we will be finding a veteran QB. Cousins, Smith or whoever else shakes free will be the QB. Guessing we keep McCown for a back up, cut Petty and keep Hack around for one more year because progress and sh*t. Pretty sure we were never as interested in drafting a young QB as we were made out to be. Tank? No. These guys been coaching  for 8-8 from the get go. 

Sounds like it. This winning culture of playing hard and having fun is great if i could trust that the guy picking players had a clear roster building plan and knew how to evaluate a qb. 

42 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Cause. Effect.

Yeah but Macc is doing it the right way (passing on a QB for a safety is good now)

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Personally I don't think a young QB was ever in play. Between mega whiffing on Hack and Bowles history so far we will be finding a veteran QB. Cousins, Smith or whoever else shakes free will be the QB. Guessing we keep McCown for a back up, cut Petty and keep Hack around for one more year because progress and sh*t. Pretty sure we were never as interested in drafting a young QB as we were made out to be. Tank? No. These guys been coaching  for 8-8 from the get go. 

We should throw three firsts and 20 kilos at Jim Irsay for Andrew Luck.

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This f*cking fanbase.  Win one game and everyone should get a lifetime extension.  Nevermind that we're doing it with a 38-year old QB and 32-year old RB, with not one elite player on the roster, and 0 impact players at premium positions.

I'm OK with giving Bowles another year.  But an extension for either?  And especially for Maccagnan?  F*ck you. 

It's not about 1 game. There have been many fans who are pleased with some of the progress this team and some of it's younger players have shown. Since the first 2 games this team has competed and could easily be 6-3. There is hope. Maybe we get a Cousins or Smith, maybe we have a good draft, maybe our young guys keep developing, maybe we spend some of that 90 mil to upgrade other areas. It's not as dire as some of the Eors proclaim. 

7 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Once again making excuses for a win. Go figure. That Bills team was 5-2 coming in despite a full rebuild as you call it. You also forgot to mention the thursday night excuse. You're slipping. Has there been 1 win this year that doesn't have a ******* excuse attached to it? 

Did you type out the *******?

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You 2 must have been busy at Ilk HQ this morning scrambling for talking points:

9ae397ee04cb94b9ae04911fd1f22ff2.jpg

30 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I'm cool with keeping the status quo and letting both ride out the final year of their contracts. Macc gets one more draft and next season to prove that most of his picks are solid contributors and needs to find a better QB than McCown. Bowles has to coach the team to at least 8 wins next year. If both those things happen, we can talk extension. 

The NFL is a passing league. Any metric you point to can illustrate this... but Macc's best option at QB during year 3 of his tenure is Josh McCown. That alone is a fireable offense, yet people want to talk extenstion for this clown. Unreal.

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Better to have a realistic perspective on the situation than to gush over Macc despite building one of the worst rosters in football in his 3-year tenure. 

The wins over Jacksonville and Buffalo would be nice if they're taken in a vacuum.  But they're not.  There's a bigger picture here.  This team isn't contending for anything legitimate anytime soon, and especially not if Macc is in charge drafting like he has done so far. 

But sure, yeah, give Macc an extension and lets roll with a guy who can't properly evaluate QB's, and thus needs to bring in an ancient veteran to cover up for his mistakes. 

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

It's not about 1 game. There have been many fans who are pleased with some of the progress this team and some of it's younger players have shown. Since the first 2 games this team has competed and could easily be 6-3. There is hope. Maybe we get a Cousins or Smith, maybe we have a good draft, maybe our young guys keep developing, maybe we spend some of that 90 mil to upgrade other areas. It's not as dire as some of the Eors proclaim. 

Kirk Cousins probably isn't coming here, but if he does, we're sure to overpay for him.  And he just isn't worth the kind of coin he'll get on the open market.  Let someone else do that. 

We need to nail our pick at QB.  Just one time, we need to nail it.  And the guy who took Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round cannot be the guy to make that pick. 

Want the franchise to build off the surprising progress by some of our young players at mostly non-premium positions?  Extending Maccagnan isn't the way to get there. 

Archived