Colin Kaepernick is being blackballed, and I'm very upset about it

Warfish

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's the type of player that unless you are going to start, makes no sense to have on your team. He's a distraction. Tebow was the same thing. Who needs a media circus centered around a backup QB?

I don't disagree with you but when you are talking about Savage vs. McGloin, would he really be automatically considered a backup? 

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2742242-texans-nfl-cross-the-kaepernick-point-of-no-return-after-deshaun-watson-injury?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Let the anger flow through you, and let the threadnaught begin.

th?id=OIP.49YhiIyRUhyRwvab779a0gEsDw&pid

Nice thread rename, but I'm not upset about it at all.  But many other folks seem to be.

The-Big-Bang-Theory-Drinking-Game-Penny.

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

I don't disagree with you but when you are talking about Savage vs. McGloin, would he really be automatically considered a backup? 

No. In Houston he might not be after the Watson injury. I was just talking about around the league in general. He's the type of guy a team would only bring in if he was going to start and play.

He just isn't worth the clown show and backlash from some fans that it would cause. I could see if he was actually a good player but he was pretty terrible his last few years. Employers who pay the salaries of these players do have the right to hire and not hire anyone that they choose. 

His last 2 years were really bad. That's why I didn't know why everyone got upset teams weren't picking him up.

They let it escalate into a race issue when it shouldn't have been one. Then, having owners and Goodell making statements just keeps making it all about race when it should just be about his talent.

Simply put he's not good.

If Kap really believes in what he is standing for than I respect the fact that he is protesting for what he believes in.

That said, he chose this life, he decided to make his protest, and it was obvious that the protest would upset a lot of people being that it (arguably) involved defiance of a patriotic symbol.

He chose to put this this spotlight on himself, in public, at his place of work. 

To rebel at work without expecting consequences would be juvenile.

I personally don’t have any ill will towards him, but he chose this life and he has been successful. People took notice and have followed him.

Finally, he is not that good. I liked him a lot as a player about 3+ years ago, that ship sailed.

9 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

If Kap really believes in what he is standing for than I respect the fact that he is protesting for what he believes in.

That said, he chose this life, he decided to make his protest, and it was obvious that the protest would upset a lot of people being that it (arguably) involved defiance of a patriotic symbol.

He chose to put this this spotlight on himself, in public, at his place of work. 

I personally don’t have any ill will towards him, but he chose this life and he has been successful. People took notice and have followed him.

Finally, he is not that good. I liked him a lot as a player about 3+ years ago, that ship sailed.

The bolded part is the thing however what is he standing for (or kneeling for) in particular?  It is some hazy poorly defined semi idea lthat no one knows the object behind.

Also people are getting sick of the old 'Yo make my point I have to try and wreck something else to get attention.

24 minutes ago, GATA said:

His last 2 years were really bad. That's why I didn't know why everyone got upset teams weren't picking him up.

They let it escalate into a race issue when it shouldn't have been one. Then, having owners and Goodell making statements just keeps making it all about race when it should just be about his talent.

Simply put he's not good.

Kaepernick's play has certainly regressed over the last few years, but there's no way anyone can convince me that there are 96 better QB's than him in the NFL right now.  We all know what's happening here. 

Just now, BrickTamland said:

I think this is fair. Kaepernick was aware of the consequences and he plowed ahead. He’s clearly sincere about the issue and will be remembered as a significant political figure of the time. I don’t necessarily blame individual owners for making a business decision in their individual markets and not taking on the attendant baggage for a player who wasn’t playing at a high level in the first place.

That said, the NFL as a whole comes away from this looking like the insular, out of touch cowards they are, and they deserve both the short- and long-term damage that they’ve incurred in their handling of this matter, both specifically and in the macro sense. The smart move would have been to call Paul Allen and induce him to put Kaepernick on the Seahawks as a backup. That’s a region, a base, a team, and a coach that could handle it, and the issue would have been dead in two weeks. Instead, the NFL pandered to a relatively small and declining piece of America who will mostly be dead by the time Kaepernick retires, and the Bob McNair’s and Jerry Jones’s of the NFL will have burned every bridge to that younger demo that the league was already struggling to attract. I predict that Jones will end up firing Goodell and consciously installing a woman or Tony Dungy as commissioner, and that commissioner will spend the first ten years of their tenure trying to convince millions of alienated 20 year olds that the NFL is super-woke and inclusive now. 

I still think  Kap was sitting during the anthem because he was upset that he wasn't starting. When he got randomly caught, he made up some nonsense about social injustice. He also wore socks showing cops as pigs. He is getting what he deserved and if I was an NFL owner I wouldn't want Kap on my team and if I was a head coach I wouldn't want this distraction in my locker room. 

It isn't collusion, it's just business. But in the twitter-age, everything is a conspiracy theory and everyone is a racist. It's unfortunate, because I think a player like Kap would be a perfect fit for the Texans right now. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is fair. Kaepernick was aware of the consequences and he plowed ahead. He’s clearly sincere about the issue and will be remembered as a significant political figure of the time. I don’t necessarily blame individual owners for making a business decision in their individual markets and not taking on the attendant baggage for a player who wasn’t playing at a high level in the first place.

That said, the NFL as a whole comes away from this looking like the insular, out of touch cowards they are, and they deserve both the short- and long-term damage that they’ve incurred in their handling of this matter, both specifically and in the macro sense. The smart move would have been to call Paul Allen and induce him to put Kaepernick on the Seahawks as a backup. That’s a region, a base, a team, and a coach that could handle it, and the issue would have been dead in two weeks. Instead, the NFL pandered to a relatively small and declining piece of America who will mostly be dead by the time Kaepernick retires, and the Bob McNair’s and Jerry Jones’s of the NFL will have burned every bridge to that younger demo that the league was already struggling to attract. I predict that Jones will end up firing Goodell and consciously installing a woman or Tony Dungy as commissioner, and that commissioner will spend the first ten years of their tenure trying to convince millions of alienated 20 year olds that the NFL is super-woke and inclusive now. 

Yes. NFL mucked it up.

They are and will continue to reap the negative energy that they brought upon themselves. And there will be some kind of late reactionary measure like what’s suggested above.

The Anthem protests have become such that even New England I don't think could sign him after seeing how the fans up there handled the protests.

If Al Davis were alive Kap would have been a Raider a long time ago.

Right now I don't think there is an NFL team out there that could sign him without a major fan backlash, or even a team fracturing if they did sign him. Pittsburgh there are rumors about that locker room having issues, The Giants ? No way, New England (see above)

At some point though I do think Kap will be back in the league. Just gonna have to be with a franchise that is willing to deal with all the bullsh!t that it would bring.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That said, the NFL as a whole comes away from this looking like the insular, out of touch cowards they are, and they deserve both the short- and long-term damage that they’ve incurred in their handling of this matter, both specifically and in the macro sense. The smart move would have been to call Paul Allen and induce him to put Kaepernick on the Seahawks as a backup. That’s a region, a base, a team, and a coach that could handle it, and the issue would have been dead in two weeks. Instead, the NFL pand sered to a relatively small and declining piece of America who will mostly be dead by the time Kaepernick retires, and the Bob McNair’s and Jerry Jones’s of the NFL will have burned every bridge to that younger demo that the league was already struggling to attract. I predict that Jones will end up firing Goodell and consciously installing a woman or Tony Dungy as commissioner, and that commissioner will spend the first ten years of their tenure trying to convince millions of alienated 20 year olds that the NFL is super-woke and inclusive now. 

Kaep is so sincere about the issue that as soon as he was unemployed, he said he would stand again, because the issues have been "resolved". How convenient....

This is not a left wing or right wing issue like you want to make it out to be...

The NFL's mistake was not stopping the kneeling, and letting it get out of hand. Regardless of what you think about Kaep's original cause, and his sincerity, when you wholesale start boycotting the national anthem, you are making it about America, and all that America stands for. And plenty of people in the middle and right believe there is much more to America than a handful of overhyped, situations. People should protest the issues all they want, it is the right of every American, but when you make it about America the whole, instead of individual incidents, you lose a lot more people that way. The NFL should have nipped this in the bud, but they are too afraid of the players to do so.  

Whatever your politics this is a bad thing. He's not the first player blackballed in the NFL. His lawyer said the other day that he might be signing with a team soon. But he wasn't signed before or during training camp and even with all these injuries not signed. Even though third stringers and guys who've never even thrown a pass in the NFL have jobs. It's obvious he's being blackballed because he's available and talented enough to be on an NFL roster. I don't blame him for suing them. 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

As soon as a team would sign him, it would be all about him and not the team. What coach would want to deal with that? Especially at this point of the season.

Exactly. And thats the biggest reason why he doesn't have a job IMO. He's to much of a distraction. If the talent was worth the distraction that would be one thing, but it's not. 

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Kaep is so sincere about the issue that as soon as he was unemployed, he said he would stand again, because the issues have been "resolved". How convenient....

This is false. It’s something Breer made up and had to retract.

Archived