Question For The Tank Crowd

TuscanyTile2

I was absolutely in the tank crowd from day 1 but I have to admit this team has won me over.  We're not getting a top 2 pick with 4 wins and we could've easily had 5 or 6 wins.  I'm back to rooting for us to win.  Anyone else here who has changed from pro-tank to pro-winning?

That said, I fully realize McCown is not the answer and I don't know what we're going to do this offseason now.  But this team is fun to watch and does show promise.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I so love not having a franchise qb

I hear you.  That was why I was pro-tank in the first place.  But realistically now we're not going to be in position to draft one now (at least not without a big trade). 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The good news, Tuscan, is that the Jets are simultaneously winning and tanking, it’s just that they’re tanking 2018 and 2019 instead.

Certainly possible if McCown gets re-signed and pulls a "Fitz year 2" with us next year.  That would be the "Jets way" for sure.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hear you.  That was why I was pro-tank in the first place.  But realistically now we're not going to be in position to draft one now (at least not without a big trade). 

Certainly possible if McCown gets re-signed and pulls a "Fitz year 2" with us next year.  That would be the "Jets way" for sure.

There is no point in us trying to play hard for 7-9 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Plenty of room for all you tanker a**holes over on the Giant fans sites.

Dude - I rooted for a tank because I wanted what would be best for the team for the long-term.   I'm tired of the team being awful to mediocre year after year after year.

This may yet turn out to be the Jetsiest  of all Jet regimes.

After realizing Petty and Hack are not the answer they enter a season with a tangible and realistic goal of getting at or near the top of the draft in a QB rich class and they maneuver themselves right back down the food chain.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Dude - I rooted for a tank because I wanted what would be best for the team for the long-term.   I'm tired of the team being awful to mediocre year after year after year.

The last team to totally tank, the Colts, have won crap since they got Luck, and are in far worse shape right now than the Jets could ever be. Also, the two best QB's on the planet, Rodgers and Brady, were a late 1st and 6th round pick. The only team in my lifetime(will be 60 in a month) that ever was rewarded for obvious tanking was the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early 1980's who tanked for Mario LeMieux, and were handsomely rewarded.

While I was clearly in the tank crowd, there was never a moment that I openly rooted for the team to lose.  Being in the tank mode, was a benefit of sitting through a potential disaster of a season plus lowering the risk of going through it very often going forward.

I went against my instinct and got the ticket and have watched each game.  The team has been surprising and fun to watch, there are caveats.  

We are are young and improving on defense.  Adams, Maye, Lee have played better than I thought they would.  

We are old and limited on offense.  McCown is playing way better than any of us could have predicted.  But can he win against a legit team?  

The position that the team is in right now could go either way.  If we don’t get Cousins, they will have to bring McCown back.  If they are aggressive and go after a QB in the draft, they can sit for most of next season.  And won’t need 9 rookies on the team next year so we could go all in on a move up.

If they are not aggressive and think we can just roll with McCown, there will be ANOTHER rebuild going on in 2019.

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

After realizing Petty and Hack are not the answer they enter a season with a tangible and realistic goal of getting at or near the top of the draft in a QB rich class and they maneuver themselves right back down the food chain.

“Tank like a Jet”

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

The last team to totally tank, the Colts, have won crap since they got Luck, and are in far worse shape right now than the Jets could ever be. Also, the two best QB's on the planet, Rodgers and Brady, were a late 1st and 6th round pick. The only team in my lifetime(will be 60 in a month) that ever was rewarded for obvious tanking was the Pittsburgh Penguins in the early 1980's who tanked for Mario LeMieux, and were handsomely rewarded.

They’re probably still in very good position to get things turned around though.  They’ve made some awful personnel decisions and Chuck Pagano should’ve been fired a while back. 

But a top pick that they can trade down with can really be a difference maker. And they have the most critical piece of the puzzle already on the roster. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

They also tanked for Sid the Kid.  

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I read that both Darnold and Rosen may stay in school. Now what. It would be real Jetsy if they went 0-16, 1-15 and that happened. I like this team and I am glad they are not tanking. You don't have to tank to get a quality QB. 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They’re probably still in very good position to get things turned around though.  They’ve made some awful personnel decisions and Chuck Pagano should’ve been fired a while back. 

But a top pick that they can trade down with can really be a difference maker. And they have the most critical piece of the puzzle already on the roster. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

They also tanked for Sid the Kid.  

We should hire their scouts:D

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was absolutely in the tank crowd from day 1 but I have to admit this team has won me over.  We're not getting a top 2 pick with 4 wins and we could've easily had 5 or 6 wins.  I'm back to rooting for us to win.  Anyone else here who has changed from pro-tank to pro-winning?

That said, I fully realize McCown is not the answer and I don't know what we're going to do this offseason now.  But this team is fun to watch and does show promise.

I don't wank to tank in anything. But unless they are going to win the SB, I want the highest draft pick possible.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Bingo! If you have faith that McCagnan will identify a top QB, then the argument might hold some water. I'd say the jury is way, way out on that one, to be kind.

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I read that both Darnold and Rosen may stay in school. Now what. It would be real Jetsy if they went 0-16, 1-15 and that happened. I like this team and I am glad they are not tanking. You don't have to tank to get a quality QB. 

It does seem like there's merit to this argument.  The Texans got the most exciting QB mid-1st round.  Mahomes (though we don't know what he is yet) was also picked around then too.  Last year was supposed to be a terrible QB class but it might turn out to be pretty good after all.  So it's certainly no exact science.  That's for sure. 

Heck, though, the most surprising thing is how well McCown has played. The guy was 2-20 in his last 22 games.  He has 4 wins this year and it could've easily been 6.

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

They also tanked for Crosby and that worked out for them but there are no guarantees. The Oilers have tanked for a decade and finally hit the jackpot when they got McDavid but before that all those overall number 1 picks didn't help. Tanking guarantees nothing. 

5 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

We would take Rick Mirer instead of Bledsoe, or Leaf over Manning.

3 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

They also tanked for Crosby and that worked out for them but there are no guarantees. The Oilers have tanked for a decade and finally hit the jackpot when they got McDavid but before that all those overall number 1 picks didn't help. Tanking guarantees nothing. 

But it is good for Maxx's business.-_-

38 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

RLLOL.  That was a beauty of a post!

photo3kix.jpgA couple of years ago I spotted he and Fluery bumbling around in the Short Hills Mall my wife and I followed him to put a jinx on, he went into Kiehls a lotion place while his teamates  waited outside dressed like they were in the 80's.

I was never on the "Tank Crew" and I must admit this team has surprised the hell out of me so far. With a call or two and a couple of favorable turns this team could be 7-2 or 6-3. I never would have pegged them for that coming in. I think Tampa is winnable and after that anything can happen. Do I expect them to be a playoff team? No but with the state of mediocrity in the AFC anything is possible. Could the Jets make the playoffs at 9-7? Or 8-8? That was unthinkable to me but Denver is looking vulnerable  and I think they beat the Chargers easily providing the D keeps playing like they did against Buffalo. As for the other games who knows? Look at me being all positive and sh*t. Not used to that as a Jet Fan. It will be fun while it lasts though and I am excited for the upcoming games so I'm good with it.

The tank broke down early. Its gone. The good thing now about this season is we get a lot of young guys experience (maye, Adams), we get the team to learn to play tough through adversity and actual become a team. McCown helps because he is a competent, functional QB so he helps the development of guys like Anderson, Jenkins, and McGuire, but I wish Stewart and Hansen were getting more time. 

And we get to see a young Jet team (minus McCown, average age 26) develop chemistry and a culture.

And now we know what holes need to be filled...(long term QB starter, OLB/ER, OL)

4-5. The tank....is......gone......

c08.png

1 hour ago, section314 said:

The Colts have made some horrific decisions since drafting Luck.  And they still made it to the AFC championship game on his back.  

I was firmly entrenched in the tank camp when the season began, but that ship has sailed.  The team looked really Thursday night and I enjoyed watching them.  At this point, we are likely to win between 6 & 8 games.  Does it really make much of a difference if we pick 10th or 15th.  Either way, we are going to have to either get lucky, trade a ton of draft capital, or pay a ton of $$$ to get a franchise QB.  It is what it is.

I am enjoying watching these guys play.  I actually checked the wild card standings this morning.  

Archived