Bowles and Mac won't go after Kirk Cousins bec low expectations is a godsend for them

Jetsbb

On 11/5/2017 at 11:25 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Idk if Buffalo is good or not either. But for me the biggest reason for my optimism in regards to Bowles and Maac is that everyone picked this team to be really bad and they are clearly not.

maybe.  It could also mean that football reporters are idiots.  And we are just a 6-10 team a year after being a 5-11 team.  Not really progress.  We are going to keep tossing years at Macc and Todd until they get our win total up to 10?  I don't know.

7 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Just to play devils advocate, when it came to Fitz, it did seem to me that Bowles did have at least a major say in picking his QB. Do you really think if Bowles went to Mac and said, we did a big evaluation on him, and we don't think he fits what we want to do, Mac has enough authority to ignore him and sign Cousins anyway? Not trying to argue, just trying to have a discussion.

Well there is no doubt that Bowles 100% handled the Fitz thing wrong. The day after the season saying Fitz was the starter, just terrible. I think Bowles learned from that. He is no longer friendly with the media. I think the fallout from that is a big reason why.

But if Macc only brought Bowles back because Bowles wanted him, then that is terrible. 

I think if Macc wants cousins and Bowles doesn't, the O\C is going to have a big vote. At the end of the day Macc has to do what he thinks is best, he is getting graded on the roster. If the head coach and O\C don't want Cousins, Macc can listen and not sign him but he would have to come up with a better option then. Because they can't roll out the same 3 QBs next year.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. Any player or pick is an asset. Please do try to keep up. And before you say McDougle was not an asset, they just traded a 5th rounder because they were thin at CB. Where did McDougle play? Oh. Right. 

Yeah one that couldn't stay healthy. An asset that is injured. Hmmm

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Yes but he never really got playing time because of his health. So..... BTW. Terrence Brooks has played 8 games of the 9 this year. So your original point is basically dumb

No it isn’t. You can’t even understand my original point. Brooks was inactive because they didn’t need him. I’d imagine they’d be hard pressed to find a spot for him moving forward barring injury. Safeties like him you can find on the street for nothing. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

No it isn’t. You can’t even understand my original point. Brooks was inactive because they didn’t need him. I’d imagine they’d be hard pressed to find a spot for him moving forward barring injury. Safeties like him you can find on the street for nothing. 

Ok. What was your original point?

If they don't go after an available Cousins its because they didn't think he was worth his desired price or because they'd rather commit to something else (draft pick/HackenPetty/A. Smith)

Expectations are gonna ramp up after this "rebuild" year no matter what. They need a plan at QB no matter what.

9 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Besides, I don't want them to go after Kirk Cousins. I want them to both sign a middle to low tier FA QB and draft a QB.

I don't want Cousins. He's a poor man's Dave Krieg. And I don't want another JAG, hack, or major rookie project either.

11 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I've said all along that Bowles sucks. We need to hire Gruden and stick with him. Morton would stay as well if we brought Gruden in, so at least there would be some continuity. Then when we do get a good QB he can be properly developed. Rogers is absolutely god awful and needs to go. 

Bowles can grow and improve as a HC, no? There's gotta be a learning curve for HCs too, don't ya think?

5 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If he's making the same mistakes in year 3 as he did in year 1.. probably not

This !

Time management- use of timeouts , lack of halftime (or anytime adjustments), admitting you don't know who is or is not on your team to reporters ... The job of HC is too much for him ... I would love to see him make improvements in these areas over the second half of this season ... But why is there going to be a miracle light bulb going off after 2&1/2 seasons of being the burned out bulb on the Christmas tree ?

21 minutes ago, ljr said:

This !

Time management- use of timeouts , lack of halftime (or anytime adjustments), admitting you don't know who is or is not on your team to reporters ... The job of HC is too much for him ... I would love to see him make improvements in these areas over the second half of this season ... But why is there going to be a miracle light bulb going off after 2&1/2 seasons of being the burned out bulb on the Christmas tree ?

don't you think these complaints are overstated

time management use of timeouts. How many bad examples of this are there?

Lack of halftime adjustments is not something you cant prove. You really think the Jets coaches don't make adjustments? 

Admitting he didn't know about the trade? You realize it was probably just a time issue and it has happened to other coaches and why is that a Bowles issue? Feels like you threw that in there because you need something to complain about.

The dolphin loss is the big negative for this staff.

Here is fact. He's had limited rosters and limited options at the most important position. Fitz, Geno, Petty, McCown, Hack. And he's been able to squeeze career years for Fitz and McCown. 

How many current head coaches would you be happy with? Who is doing that much more with this roster? Fans wanted the #1 pick and a new coach when that had no guarantee of success for the Jets.

Adams and Maye are here for four years (maybe 5 for Adams).  The Jets are on the clock to get decent asap.

This past year was really the only tankable one.  The Jets will attempt to improve the QB position in some way in 2018.  Option one will be to go hard for a FA-to me 1-2 year big contracts are fine for someone who could get the Jets to the playoffs.  I can see Smith or Brees (or even Cousins) being better fits because of the WCO.  If they do that they will also draft a QB somewhere, likely a second round reach again.  Manning is less of a fit for the Jets offense, but maybe the Jets take him if the Giants dump him.

If they cannot sign a decent FA QB they will draft high.  That could involve trading picks.  I am ok trading up-look at how it worked out for the Eagles.  I am not ok with trading high picks for veterans-that is bad.   Yes, it used to happen before, but I think it seldom worked out, and with the new CBA, etc. it is not what smart teams do today.

32 minutes ago, varjet said:

Adams and Maye are here for four years (maybe 5 for Adams).  The Jets are on the clock to get decent asap.

This past year was really the only tankable one.  The Jets will attempt to improve the QB position in some way in 2018.  Option one will be to go hard for a FA-to me 1-2 year big contracts are fine for someone who could get the Jets to the playoffs.  I can see Smith or Brees (or even Cousins) being better fits because of the WCO.  If they do that they will also draft a QB somewhere, likely a second round reach again.  Manning is less of a fit for the Jets offense, but maybe the Jets take him if the Giants dump him.

If they cannot sign a decent FA QB they will draft high.  That could involve trading picks.  I am ok trading up-look at how it worked out for the Eagles.  I am not ok with trading high picks for veterans-that is bad.   Yes, it used to happen before, but I think it seldom worked out, and with the new CBA, etc. it is not what smart teams do today.

I can't see them trading all their draft picks to move up and get one of these QBs who might not even be that good,keep hearing rumors that Darold might stay in school another year too. we have to go the free agent route I believe maybe Glennon will be available again besides Cousins,Smith and Brees

1 hour ago, skippyy said:

I can't see them trading all their draft picks to move up and get one of these QBs who might not even be that good,keep hearing rumors that Darold might stay in school another year too. we have to go the free agent route I believe maybe Glennon will be available again besides Cousins,Smith and Brees

Glennon is not good generally and would not be good for this offense.  He will likely be available.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

In my opinion Cousins will demand too much $$$ Macc will use that money to strengthen other positions and we will draft a QB possibly Mayfield or Allen and play it out. 

Cousins will demand alot of money.  Someone has to pay it.  We can see how that rolls, but all things considered it could be the Jets who are willing to pay him the most money.

If the Jets cannot sign a FA QB, their options could be to take Mayfield and potentially pass on another position with better measureables.  I do have a feeling that Mayfield would be there when the Jets pick, because GMs will not want to pick a short QB that high.  Mayfield could also be there when the Jets pick in Rd 2, as Brees was.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Glennon is not good generally and would not be good for this offense.  He will likely be available.

Cousins will demand alot of money.  Someone has to pay it.  We can see how that rolls, but all things considered it could be the Jets who are willing to pay him the most money.

If the Jets cannot sign a FA QB, their options could be to take Mayfield and potentially pass on another position with better measureables.  I do have a feeling that Mayfield would be there when the Jets pick, because GMs will not want to pick a short QB that high.  Mayfield could also be there when the Jets pick in Rd 2, as Brees was.

We need a QB in the draft #1 pick has to be the best QB available with the pick, no waiting until round 2 or round 3. 

On 11/5/2017 at 1:50 AM, Jetsbb said:

Jets are 4-5 last in the division and Bowles continues to make inane in game decisions that blow it for them in the 4th quarter when coaching makes the real difference. Yet here we are praising Bowles and company for how great they are doing. I remember a time the fan base wanted to lynch Mangini after going 9-7 with Favre. Oh yea Mangini was then fired. The QB of Bowles dream would be a Mark Sanchez who would really lower expectations. He could go 7-9, 8-8 and keep cashing those paychecks. Raise expectations with a franchise QB and then Bowles deficiencies would become really apparent.

Expectations are ALWAYS high, and I believe Bowles is on the hot seat because of mismanagement of personnel. One example is Buster Skrine's game against Miami in which Bowles KNEW that Miami had a mismatch against Skrine with Kenny Stills, a 6'3" WR that Skrine couldn't cover with a blanket. Yet this defensive 'genius' stuck with his man to man coverage and a backup QB tore the Jets apart with passes to the overmatched Skrine. I don't hear too many on this board 'praising' Bowles either.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

we have to go the free agent route I believe maybe Glennon will be available again besides Cousins,Smith and Brees

Glennon!!!??? Really????! Obviously you haven't watched any Bears games. Mitchell Trubisky has ALREADY taken Glennon's job. He TOTALLY SUCKS and I wouldn't give him the time of day never mind an NFL contract. Cousins or Smith are the ONLY FA's I would go after and that is AFTER the Jets take a QB number one. I like several college QB's including Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph - if his knee is right - and Darnold of course. 

22 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

don't you think these complaints are overstated

time management use of timeouts. How many bad examples of this are there?

Lack of halftime adjustments is not something you cant prove. You really think the Jets coaches don't make adjustments? 

Admitting he didn't know about the trade? You realize it was probably just a time issue and it has happened to other coaches and why is that a Bowles issue? Feels like you threw that in there because you need something to complain about.

The dolphin loss is the big negative for this staff.

Here is fact. He's had limited rosters and limited options at the most important position. Fitz, Geno, Petty, McCown, Hack. And he's been able to squeeze career years for Fitz and McCown. 

How many current head coaches would you be happy with? Who is doing that much more with this roster? Fans wanted the #1 pick and a new coach when that had no guarantee of success for the Jets.

Overstated time management?  I don't think so ... This & the game plan adjustments as the game is played are the 2 things that really "stick in my craw".

should the QB's get some of the blame for wasting TO's yes ...should the OC? Yes ... But def the largest part rests on Bowles head. Managing play calling / 45 second clock/ hurry up O (do we even have such a thing this year?) / plays coming in late from the sideline? ... These are the type of SNAFU's I want to be seeing improvements on over an HC's career ... But I'm not.

was it Rex who put someone on staff just to send the plays in in a timely manor? Whoever it was .... Looks like we need to Do it again ... Self evaluation... If this can not be corrected by Bowles on his own then do whatever it takes to improve it. Is Morton in charge of all this during the game? Then. Tear him a new *$$Hole & let him know this can't be tolerated 

Heavy is the head that rests the crown ... It falls on you to do something Bowles .

as far as the live game adjustments... I believe it was the Thurs. night game they posted stats on how many points we score per quarter.  It was something crazy that basically said

Q1 - Awesome #'s

Q2 - Good #'s

Q3 - Bad #'s 

Q4 - Pitiful #'s

Eyeball test tells you that they are coming into games with a good plan ... Then as the game goes on ... We are not doing what needs to be done but the other team is.

just like Time Management... There is plenty of blame the go around for this. McCown is a choker ... As the game goes on and gets tight he makes more stupid decisions... We are playing young guys who may not be quite as comfortable as teams with more seasoned veterans as the game wears on ... But just as above ... Bowles is at the top .... F that $h*t man !!!  Tear into these guys making mistakes... Call running plays 5 out of 6 downs if we're up by 3 scores with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  Talk to your RB's to finish the play inbounds ... Stick a younger guy in for consistent poor performers like Skrine ... The 3rd string RB did a good job as punt returner last week ... Let that be his job to lose this week ... Make some changes already ... Enough of just leaving the veterans in even if they are playing badly week in & week out !!!!

anyway , I'll stop there ... If this doesn't save after hunting & pecking on the iPad for 30 minutes I'm gonna $h*t a brick !

On 11/5/2017 at 12:50 AM, Jetsbb said:

Jets are 4-5 last in the division and Bowles continues to make inane in game decisions that blow it for them in the 4th quarter when coaching makes the real difference. Yet here we are praising Bowles and company for how great they are doing. I remember a time the fan base wanted to lynch Mangini after going 9-7 with Favre. Oh yea Mangini was then fired. The QB of Bowles dream would be a Mark Sanchez who would really lower expectations. He could go 7-9, 8-8 and keep cashing those paychecks. Raise expectations with a franchise QB and then Bowles deficiencies would become really apparent.

Cool thread.  Do you post here often?

On 11/5/2017 at 1:50 AM, Jetsbb said:

that's just foolish talk.  building a team is more than getting one player.  frankly the way this team is being built is encouraging.  not that they don't need a qb but it's plenty obvious they can play well with a qb who has some limitations.  mccown is a game manager type.  he's not going to scare anyone with his arm.

as for the fourth quarter losses, if the team can't run it's hard to preserve leads.  the jets have not been a really good run blocking team.  against the bills they used the te to run block more than in the previous games and it seemed to work.  it's a good thing when the qb is limited to 20-24 passes per game.

fyi, i didn't want to lynch mangini.  sh*tty was the guy who screwed the offense up.

11 hours ago, ljr said:

Overstated time management?  I don't think so ... This & the game plan adjustments as the game is played are the 2 things that really "stick in my craw".

should the QB's get some of the blame for wasting TO's yes ...should the OC? Yes ... But def the largest part rests on Bowles head. Managing play calling / 45 second clock/ hurry up O (do we even have such a thing this year?) / plays coming in late from the sideline? ... These are the type of SNAFU's I want to be seeing improvements on over an HC's career ... But I'm not.

was it Rex who put someone on staff just to send the plays in in a timely manor? Whoever it was .... Looks like we need to Do it again ... Self evaluation... If this can not be corrected by Bowles on his own then do whatever it takes to improve it. Is Morton in charge of all this during the game? Then. Tear him a new *$$Hole & let him know this can't be tolerated 

Heavy is the head that rests the crown ... It falls on you to do something Bowles .

as far as the live game adjustments... I believe it was the Thurs. night game they posted stats on how many points we score per quarter.  It was something crazy that basically said

Q1 - Awesome #'s

Q2 - Good #'s

Q3 - Bad #'s 

Q4 - Pitiful #'s

Eyeball test tells you that they are coming into games with a good plan ... Then as the game goes on ... We are not doing what needs to be done but the other team is.

just like Time Management... There is plenty of blame the go around for this. McCown is a choker ... As the game goes on and gets tight he makes more stupid decisions... We are playing young guys who may not be quite as comfortable as teams with more seasoned veterans as the game wears on ... But just as above ... Bowles is at the top .... F that $h*t man !!!  Tear into these guys making mistakes... Call running plays 5 out of 6 downs if we're up by 3 scores with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter.  Talk to your RB's to finish the play inbounds ... Stick a younger guy in for consistent poor performers like Skrine ... The 3rd string RB did a good job as punt returner last week ... Let that be his job to lose this week ... Make some changes already ... Enough of just leaving the veterans in even if they are playing badly week in & week out !!!!

anyway , I'll stop there ... If this doesn't save after hunting & pecking on the iPad for 30 minutes I'm gonna $h*t a brick !

Thats the thing, I feel this 2nd half wasting TO is overstated. I see it every week. I believe I am remembering it correctly when we played the Pats and Falcons, they both used 2nd half TOs. Sometimes it's a good thing to use a TO. Yes it hurt us in the Pats game? but it's definitely not a Jets problem.

As for the 2nd half adjustments, yes the Dolphin game should be put on the coaches. They should have figured out a way to pull that victory. Maybe take some TOs to slow the momentum before it got out of hand. But the way you laid it out, we should be undefeated then if we had a good coaching. 

Archived