First Three Picks of 2018

Warfish

How would you feel if this came to pass?

Jets picking 5th.

Pick #1/#5:  RB, Saquon Barkley, Penn State

Pick #2/#37:  QB, Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Pick #2/From Seattle:  TE, Mark Andrews, Oklahoma

Based on the oft-stated view here and elsewhere that Mayfield will not go in the first round no matter how many 600 yard games he has.

Forte gone, Barkley to be paired (int he short term) with Powell and McGuire, but Barkley/McGuire the long term 1-2 RB punch.

Mayfield, Hack (I suppose) and some Vet likely to be QB in 2018, Mayfield in 2019.

Andrews, Leggett (if he heals), Thomlinson and Safarian provide a great stable of passcatching and blocking TE's.  If Leggett doesn't pan out or Sefarian wants more money, we're still set.

WR already solid with Kearse/Enunwa/Robinson/Stewart/Hanson for 2018.

O-line would be a major priority with our bazillion dollars in cap space for Free Agents.

Defense gets less love (later picks and some FA money) for a change.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If we don't get a chance for the QB I would like to take the left side of the Notre Dame oline with picks 1 and 2.  (I say this without studying the draft eligible players much as of yet other than qbs.)

just give e their LT and I would be fine 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets picking 5th.

Based on the oft-stated view here and elsewhere that Mayfield will not go in the first round no matter how many 600 yard games he has.

Forte gone, Barkley to be paired (int he short term) with Powell and McGuire, but Barkley/McGuire the long term 1-2 RB punch.

Mayfield, Hack (I suppose) and some Vet likely to be QB in 2018, Mayfield in 2019.

Andrews, Leggett (if he heals), Thomlinson and Safarian provide a great stable of passcatching and blocking TE's.  If Leggett doesn't pan out or Sefarian wants more money, we're still set.

O-line would be a major priority with our bazillion dollars in cap space for Free Agents.

Sign me up.

It’s way too early to do this.  Not knowing draft order, college injuries, free agency fallout, combine drop-offs, pre-draft arrests, and freakish out-of-nowhere risers, it’s impossible to gauge next seasons roster changes. 

But for fun, I can see one of two distinct “directions” to take the team: 

(The First) If we sign a big money FA QB (i.e., Cousins)

1. OT, Mike McGlinchey. (play him at RT for his first season or two, or move Beachum there). 

2a. OC/OG, Billy Price. (2006 all over again, tackle/center...but if we’re going to invest 15% of our cap space into the QB position, let’s protect him).

2b. WR, Auden Tate. Give Cousins another big-bodied target to pair w Enunwa on the outside...make that investment in Cousins look like a really good decision.

——— 

(The Second) we draft our FQB

1. QB, Baker Mayfield. He’s too Brees-like & Jamal Adamsly for this front office to pass on.

2a. OC/OG, Billy Price. Wesley Johnson is the biggest liability on our entire offense, regardless of who plays UNDER center,  we need to upgrade his snapper. 

2b. WR, Auden Tate. So, the only real difference between scenario 1 & 2, is the first pick. I like Tate’s size & body control. Plus, I still anticipate having Kearse & Anderson on the field as we transition to an almost exclusive 3 and 4 WR set offense. 

Tate is our new bmarsh. We need the 2015 bmarsh back. 

———

With our other picks we need to draft another QB flier. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

A running back a 5 overall is just stupid enough to happen.

Only a team that would draft a safety in the top 10 would then go with a running back the next season so I guess the Jets qualify. Screw this organization if they pick anything but a QB in round one.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets picking 5th.

Mayfield is definitely getting drafted in the first round. The Jets cannot afford to wait till round two and get stuck with the scraps like Falk or Browning. We better either trade up for Darnold or Rosen or pick the best QB available when our pick comes up in round one.

Sorry but no running back is worthy of a top 10 pick and Barkley is so incredibly overrated. Franchise QBs can lead you to championships while good running backs are a dime a dozen and easy to find. After ignoring the QB position in the last draft Maccagnan or hopefully his replacement MUST do whatever it takes to find this team a franchise QB in the first round of the 2018 draft.

On 11/5/2017 at 8:08 AM, Warfish said:

Jets picking 5th.

I would be okay with this. My only thought is if we (assuming we are GM and Coach) know we want Mayfield I think we may trade back into 1st rd to get the extra year on the contract and just to make sure we get him and no-one trades ahead of us in 2nd rd.

There are just too many teams that need a long term solution at QB right now.  Mac needs to find which QBs he likes to lead this team and then do what ever it takes to get them.  

The options are giving a blank check to Cousins,

Trading 1-15 for Garappolo

Trading a king’s Ransom to move up for Darnold or Rosen, 

or drafting Mayfield at 15 ( or where we end up).

At no point is there EVER an option of trading down to get your franchise QB.  

Buffalo and NE have 4 of the top 34 picks so moving down and trying to play Madden GM is gonna guarantee we have McCown battling Ryan Tannehill in 2018.  

The fans have been more than patient.  Mac and Bowles better find their QB this offseason and that doesn’t mean only re-signing McCown.

Archived