Todays games...

Beerfish

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

How much do you think Kirk will get next season, and how much are you willing to give him?

Don't know, don't care, that's why we have a GM. Pay him a ton up front since we'll have so much money in 2018. Macc won't do anything crazy & has actually done a good job with contracts not inhibiting our near future. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Don't know, don't care, that's why we have a GM. Pay him a ton up front since we'll have so much money in 2018. Macc won't do anything crazy & has actually done a good job with contracts not inhibiting our near future. 

So, you're so confidant in Kirk Cousins that you want to get him whatever the cost, then?

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

So, you're so confidant in Kirk Cousins that you want to get him whatever the cost, then?

No, what I'm saying is I'll trust Macc to create a contract that would work. I still don't think the Skins let him out the door but strange things happen in NFL. 

Stay away from Cousins.  Not at the price and commitment he will want.

As an aside I still wretch every time a team tries to defend a last play hail mary.  Washington took it to one whole level of awfulness with their one man rush.  3 guys standing at the lines of scrimmage doing nothing but protecting against the qb run on the last play another couple 20 yards down the field.  It still lets the offense load up and throw up the hope ball and have a legit change to catch it.

I might drop 6 into the endzone but I would rush 5 players every single time.  If teams actually pressured the Qb a guy like aaron rogers would have 2 or 3 less last second wins.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

True the Bills do..;)

Speaking of the Bills, I noticed that Goff threw TDs of 50+ yards to both Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins yesterday (Woods had 2TDs).  The Rams seem to be doing just fine with WRs that BUF gave up on.  Maybe, just maybe, it wasn't the WRs?

13 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yuck. Too much for my taste.

I never understand why Jets fans squabble over an extra $2-3m in player salary, when it comes to the most important position in the game, and the different between wasting another couple seasons or not, or continuing our decades-long streak of futility or changing sh*t for real.

Honestly, I've concluded that Jets fans don't actually want a winner. They'd go through such an identity crisis it would give them feels that just aren't worth the it in the long run. Keep sh*t the same. It's safer that way.

12 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

The weird part is that even if we get Cousins, with the way McCown has been playing up to now, it won't be THAT much of an improvement over this year.   

Have to disagree with you on this one a bit. Cousins opens up the Jets running game because he's EXCELLENT at throwing open WRs. He has a much quicker release & a lot more velocity & accuracy on 25-30 yard outs and back shoulder throws and seam routes. His passes get there QUICK. 

That completely changes the dynamic of how defenses try to stop the run. Safeties & LBs have to make much quicker decisions if they've moved into the box to stop the run. If the Jets somehow got Cousins & Sequan Barkley was staring them in the face they could play offense similar to the Cowboys.

I know we need Oline but they could always not resign Johnson & go after Eric Wood, a very underrated Center with good movement skills. Shell will be better next year too. Maybe draft best available olineman @ with that 2nd number 2?

I don't think you need a quote unquote #1 WR in the WCO. A lot of teams seam to force the ball too much to their stars. Fitz did that all the time with Marshall. 

Beachum-Carpenter-Wood-Winters-Shell

Barkley-Powell-McGuire

Enunwa-Kearse-Stewart-Anderson-Hansen-ASJ-Thomlinson

Kirk Cousins-Hackenberg- Finley

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I never understand why Jets fans squabble over an extra $2-3m in player salary, when it comes to the most important position in the game, and the different between wasting another couple seasons or not, or continuing our decades-long streak of futility or changing sh*t for real.

Honestly, I've concluded that Jets fans don't actually want a winner. They'd go through such an identity crisis it would give them feels that just aren't worth the it in the long run. Keep sh*t the same. It's safer that way.

Keep those pesky bandwagon fans away Ape .

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Have to disagree with you on this one a bit. Cousins opens up the Jets running game because he's EXCELLENT at throwing open WRs. He has a much quicker release & a lot more velocity & accuracy on 25-30 yard outs and back shoulder throws and seam routes. His passes get there QUICK. 

That completely changes the dynamic of how defenses try to stop the run. Safeties & LBs have to make much quicker decisions if they've moved into the box to stop the run. If the Jets somehow got Cousins & Sequan Barkley was staring them in the face they could play offense similar to the Cowboys.

I know we need Oline but they could always not resign Johnson & go after Eric Wood, a very underrated Center with good movement skills. Shell will be better next year too. Maybe draft best available olineman @ with that 2nd number 2?

I don't think you need a quote unquote #1 WR in the WCO. A lot of teams seam to force the ball too much to their stars. Fitz did that all the time with Marshall. 

Beachum-Carpenter-Wood-Winters-Shell

Barkley-Powell-McGuire

Enunwa-Kearse-Stewart-Anderson-Hansen-ASJ-Thomlinson

Kirk Cousins-Hackenberg- Finley

Nice write-up, thanks Jester.  Agree completely on our WR's being good to go as is, esp with the expected return  of Quincy E returns

41 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nice write-up, thanks Jester.  Agree completely on our WR's being good to go as is, esp with the expected return  of Quincy E returns

I read this morning that according to ESPN Stats and Information, the Jets wide receiver corps has the fewest drops in the league.

They may not be flashy, but they are reliable.

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I just turned it on and 5 minutes later the Rams convert on 3rd & 33 - on a relatively short pass - with the Giants sending 7 DBs on the field.

Glorious.

Eli Apple pulled a 2016 Revis on that play; wanted no part of tackling.  Embarrassing...

30 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I read this morning that according to ESPN Stats and Information, the Jets wide receiver corps has the fewest drops in the league.

They may not be flashy, but they are reliable.

That's right. So if Enunwa comes back he'd be REALLY effective because he can play wide, line up inside with ASJ (as a hybrid TE), play in the slot with  ASJ & Thomlinson in a pseudo 3 tight end set, or 4/5 wide with Enunwa in the TE role. Really, really sucks he got hurt but we probably don't demand Kearse in the Sheldon trade. What will really determine if we're set at WR is if either Stewart/Hansen develop, but if it's BOTH that would be just amazing. 

Does anyone know if Enunwa has been seen around? At games? Taking this offense in.

8 minutes ago, baamf said:

Eli Apple pulled a 2016 Revis on that play; wanted no part of tackling.  Embarrassing...

Tough to be a newer coach with an expensive veteran squad, a load of injuries & a 1-7 record. Hate to say it but we witnessed it in 2016 where vets go into self preservation mode. Their season is OVER. Eagles are kicking azz, Cowboys just took down the supposed AFC best, Redskins just won on the road in one of the toughest places to play in Seattle. 

Giants are now the butt of jokes, the Jets playing well is pouring salt into those wounds, the vultures (press) are circling & in NY it becomes like a pressure cooker. It will only get worse if the Jets keep winning & playing hard. It's really enjoyable & should only get better.

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

What worries me about giving $30 million to Kirk Cousins, isn't the fact that I don't believe in him as our long term solution. I'm worried that, by shelling out such a large contract, Macc will be saying "this is our guy", and then he'll get complacent in the draft, and won't try to draft the absolute best QB possible. I don't want us to be like, "we got Kirk Cousins, so we can afford to draft yet another project QB like Josh Allen."

This doesn't mean I wouldn't want to give Cousins a shot on the team; I absolutely would. I just am not quite willing to make a $30 million commitment to him. Now, if signing Cousins, regardless of contract size, does not preclude Macc from drafting the absolute best QB he can, than I would most certainly take a $30 million Kirk Cousins and a very promising draft pick over our current QB situation as it stands now. Then, of course, there's the issue of how long they stay committed to Cousins in the event he falls on his face, and keep our young QB strapped to the bench.

You could probably argue that my main concerns lie within the decision making of our FO, and not as much in Cousins himself, but I'm still not totally sold on him as being "our guy", but I would welcome that potential, as long as we don't pause our QB search because we think we've found him, and shelled out a big contract to do so.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It will be if he never returns to what he was the first 7 games of the year.

Well at least we have 7 games of data to speculate on rather than zero for hack.  Also his 7 games were almost the best intro into the league rookie QB has ever made.  All you had to do is watch how thoroughly horrible the Texans went back to on offense yesterday.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Well at least we have 7 games of data to speculate on rather than zero for hack.  Also his 7 games were almost the best intro into the league rookie QB has ever made.  All you had to do is watch how thoroughly horrible the Texans went back to on offense yesterday.

Oh this isn't a defending of the Hack pick. That pick was bad. 

BUt people here through 7 games were screaming "Macc messed up not taking him"

That should have waited til at least the end of the season. Now those people look bad because he couldn't get through his first season, with an injury that Teddy Bridgewater still hasn't come back from. 

Plus this is apparently his second time going through this

27 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

What worries me about giving $30 million to Kirk Cousins, isn't the fact that I don't believe in him as our long term solution. I'm worried that, by shelling out such a large contract, Macc will be saying "this is our guy", and then he'll get complacent in the draft, and won't try to draft the absolute best QB possible. I don't want us to be like, "we got Kirk Cousins, so we can afford to draft yet another project QB like Josh Allen."

This doesn't mean I wouldn't want to give Cousins a shot on the team; I absolutely would. I just am not quite willing to make a $30 million commitment to him. Now, if signing Cousins, regardless of contract size, does not preclude Macc from drafting the absolute best QB he can, than I would most certainly take a $30 million Kirk Cousins and a very promising draft pick over our current QB situation as it stands now. Then, of course, there's the issue of how long they stay committed to Cousins in the event he falls on his face, and keep our young QB strapped to the bench.

You could probably argue that my main concerns lie within the decision making of our FO, and not as much in Cousins himself, but I'm still not totally sold on him as being "our guy", but I would welcome that potential, as long as we don't pause our QB search because we think we've found him, and shelled out a big contract to do so.

Seems like an awful lot of hypothetical things to worry about. I worry about my kids and wife. Sometimes if I've had too much dairy. Or if I've let the dog back into the house. I don't worry about compounded, daisy chains of dumb-****ery that are out of my control. 

If he pays Cousins, then I would hope the guy performs. That's it. Evaluate what happens, not what "may happen", or "may have happened if". Then we see how he drafts. If it sucks. Boo. If not. Yay. No sense in worrying about sh*t. It's football. It's entertainment. It's basically scripted... so **** it, appreciate it for what it is: and excuse to spend 3.5 hours sitting on the couch.

When I realized this, the game because a helluva lot more fun to watch. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Seems like an awful lot of hypothetical things to worry about. I worry about my kids and wife. Sometimes if I've had too much dairy. Or if I've let the dog back into the house. I don't worry about compounded, daisy chains of dumb-****ery that are out of my control. 

If he pays Cousins, then I would hope the guy performs. That's it. Evaluate what happens, not what "may happen", or "may have happened if". Then we see how he drafts. If it sucks. Boo. If not. Yay. No sense in worrying about sh*t. It's football. It's entertainment. It's basically scripted... so **** it, appreciate it for what it is: and excuse to spend 3.5 hours sitting on the couch.

When I realized this, the game because a helluva lot more fun to watch. 

Perhaps I would be a happier Jets fan if I could simplify my fandom, like that, but I simply can't.

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Perhaps I would be a happier Jets fan if I could simplify my fandom, like that, but I simply can't.

There's nothing simple about being a Jet fan living where I do. It's about prioritization and compartmentalizing emotions/stress.

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There's nothing simple about being a Jet fan living where I do. It's about prioritization and compartmentalizing emotions/stress.

Fair enough. Didn't mean to imply that you're a simple Jets fan. But, sitting back and not worrying about things you can't control, but still making judgements on the outcomes as they happen does seem like a simplified way of thinking to me. Like, "I can't control this, and have no idea what's going to happen, so I'll reserve my judgments for when I can clearly say the outcome was either good or bad."

This is a Jets message board. Judging and discussing past, present, future, and hypothetical moves that we can't control is what we do here. I enjoy it. It makes me feel more plugged into the team, and this community.

And per the bold: I think you know I'm not so good at that. ;)

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Fair enough. Didn't mean to imply that you're a simple Jets fan. But, sitting back and not worrying about things you can't control, but still making judgements on the outcomes as they happen does seem like a simplified way of thinking to me. Like, "I can't control this, and have no idea what's going to happen, so I'll reserve my judgments for when I can clearly say the outcome was either good or bad."

This is a Jets message board. Judging and discussing past, present, future, and hypothetical moves that we can't control is what we do here. I enjoy it. It makes me feel more plugged into the team, and this community.

And per the bold: I think you know I'm not so good at that. ;)

I know, that’s why I share this as advice. I’m seeing what you’re saying as simple = pragmatic. Which I agree with. I’d rather critique the actual, than fret and debate the hypothetical. 

:)

Archived