Kirk gets himself & Jets a better 2nd round pick

Jetster

34 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm interested to see if he looks for a record breaking deal or if he's looking to go to a specific team or some combo of both.

Every player ever is looking for a record breaking deal.  :)

22 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I should amend that to say the largest possible contract or take a lesser record setting deal haha

Yes true. Just remember every player always ends up playing for the team they rooted for as a kid. I am sure Cousins had a Kenny O'Brien poster on his wall lol.

18 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

We should sign him. Giants got absolutely spanked by the Rams and are definitely going to be in the top 3 in the draft. So long, Darnold. It would've been nice

Imagine how fun ... Gruden, Darnold, Morton, Kevin Greene ...

7 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Imagine how fun ... Gruden, Darnold, Morton, Kevin Greene ...

How good of a coach do you really think Gruden was? He did well with a Raiders team with a bunch of veterans, and some would say that he won a Super Bowl with a Bucs team that Tony Dungy was really responsible for building. Bucs didn't really do much after that season.

53 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes true. Just remember every player always ends up playing for the team they rooted for as a kid. I am sure Cousins had a Kenny O'Brien poster on his wall lol.

One possible benefit of the Jets playing some decent football this season despite all expectations is they may not look like such a bad place for a veteran like Cousins to go next season.  Not saying we're the sexy destination but I'd venture to say we are probably far more attractive now than we were 8 weeks ago, and far better than a few of the other teams that will be looking to bid for his services.  

You have to wonder if there is any amount of money CLE could offer that would get him there.

49 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

How good of a coach do you really think Gruden was? He did well with a Raiders team with a bunch of veterans, and some would say that he won a Super Bowl with a Bucs team that Tony Dungy was really responsible for building. Bucs didn't really do much after that season.

Thank you. One of the most overrated coaches out there. His SUB win was all defense against a team he knewthe ins and outs of. Even Sean King asked, "name a single qb he ever developed"

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

13 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I've said all along that Bowles sucks. We need to hire Gruden and stick with him. Morton would stay as well if we brought Gruden in, so at least there would be some continuity. Then when we do get a good QB he can be properly developed. Rogers is absolutely god awful and needs to go. 

On November 3, 2017 at 7:12 AM, Freemanm said:

How about making him the head coach or bringing in John Gruden, who Morton would be willing to coach under?

LOL

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I think anyone who thinks the Redskins will let Cousins walk is way off base.  The guy just won on the road in Seattle.  QBs who can do that don't grow on trees.  Who exactly are the Skins gonna replace him with?

I agree & have to admit I'm just dreaming about acquiring Cousins but maybe the Skins blow it somehow or deep down he's pissed he hasn't been signed yet & forces their hand? What really cracks me up is Jet fans on soap boxes that don't want Cousins, really? He just won a game in Seattle bringing a BEAT UP Skins offense back after Wilson electrified that crazy loud azz crowd with what they thought was a game winning TD with under 2 minutes left.

5 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I think anyone who thinks the Redskins will let Cousins walk is way off base.  The guy just won on the road in Seattle.  QBs who can do that don't grow on trees.  Who exactly are the Skins gonna replace him with?

Its no simple on the Redskins part anymore. They had a chance to lock him up and didn't get it done. Cousins has felt insulted by Snyder since he was drafted, and reports are that he hates Bruce Allen.

Cousins may not want to sign a long term deal with them. If they franchise him its over 30 mil, and for what? Someone who doesn't want to be with you long term?

Cousins and his agents have played this beautifully. He keeps saying no, gets huge pay days and then goes to a team he wants to, who wants him long term.

I think Cousins is an absolute goner, just dont know if he'll want to use his prime coming here during a rebuild, when a team like Denver needs a QB, or Minnesota who may need one.

Cousins is soon to be 30 years old.

Certainly still young but at the age where he should be at his best for 5-6 years and will want to maximize this next contract.

He may stay put but the money and not any loyalty will determine that.

Simply put, the guaranteed money should determine where he plays next and with multiple lucrative offers likely things like state income tax rates, quality of life in the surrounding area etc will also affect his decision.

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Cousins first 3 years were a question but the last 3 years will get him paid, there are many franchises (including the Jets) who have never seen a QB put up these stats

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Its no simple on the Redskins part anymore. They had a chance to lock him up and didn't get it done. Cousins has felt insulted by Snyder since he was drafted, and reports are that he hates Bruce Allen.

Cousins may not want to sign a long term deal with them. If they franchise him its over 30 mil, and for what? Someone who doesn't want to be with you long term?

Cousins and his agents have played this beautifully. He keeps saying no, gets huge pay days and then goes to a team he wants to, who wants him long term.

I think Cousins is an absolute goner, just dont know if he'll want to use his prime coming here during a rebuild, when a team like Denver needs a QB, or Minnesota who may need one.

I don't see Denver shelling out that kind of coin.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't see Denver shelling out that kind of coin.

Plus Denver has a lot of older players where they are starting to resemble the 2015 Jets. They've been getting torn a new azzhole by a few teams. Yesterday the Eagles, the Bills kicked the snot out of them too. Jets on the rise with a lot of young hungry players, look how many guys are on IR. A few from that group will help again next year. 90 million & 4 picks in probably top 112 players. Minnesota would be competition. 

At this point I hope the jets spend FA money on Weston Richburg to shore up the Oline, as he is a huge upgrade over Wes Johnson and then make Cousins an offer that he cant refuse.  Yes paying $130 million over 6/7 seasons to Kirk Cousins is a lot of money, but this is a guy who will play at a top 10 level for the next 6/7 years - those type of QBs never become available.

Use our 3 top 60 picks on an edge rusher (Bradley Chubb would be an excellent pick in the mid first round), and more offensive line help in the second and build as strong a team as possible around cousins.

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

One possible benefit of the Jets playing some decent football this season despite all expectations is they may not look like such a bad place for a veteran like Cousins to go next season.  Not saying we're the sexy destination but I'd venture to say we are probably far more attractive now than we were 8 weeks ago, and far better than a few of the other teams that will be looking to bid for his services.  

You have to wonder if there is any amount of money CLE could offer that would get him there.

Good point. I wouldn't rule out a team like Miami, they will cut bait with some aging Vets freeing up cap space. I don't think they are very confident in Tannehill's knee holding up after two injuries in less than a year. 

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

At this point I hope the jets spend FA money on Weston Richburg to shore up the Oline, as he is a huge upgrade over Wes Johnson and then make Cousins an offer that he cant refuse.  Yes paying $130 million over 6/7 seasons to Kirk Cousins is a lot of money, but this is a guy who will play at a top 10 level for the next 6/7 years - those type of QBs never become available.

Use our 3 top 60 picks on an edge rusher (Bradley Chubb would be an excellent pick in the mid first round), and more offensive line help in the second and build as strong a team as possible around cousins.

Was Eric Wood given a new contract with the Bills? If not, he would be my Center target. Definite upgrade over Johnson. Resign Johnson as a backup, his play doesn't deserve starter money anyway & I doubt other teams will have him as a priority free agent.

30 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Was Eric Wood given a new contract with the Bills? If not, he would be my Center target. Definite upgrade over Johnson. Resign Johnson as a backup, his play doesn't deserve starter money anyway & I doubt other teams will have him as a priority free agent.

Wood got an extension this year.

Just now, Jetster said:

Gotcha. Didn't remember hearing that. Well maybe we get Price in the draft. We had great luck with our last Center from Ohio State.

Price would be great.  There is also a kid from Arkansas, Frank Ragnow who would be a great second round pick as a center.

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I sure hope not. Thats the other thing. Cousins will be asking for big money. More money than I think most teams will want to pay for him.

But, I'd gladly pay him for us.

Your damn right. When have we had a guy as tough minded as Kirk Cousins? Check out this follow-up from yesterdays Skins vs Seahawks game. FOUR OLINEMAN WERE OUT! IN THAT LOUD AZZ STADIUM! Cousins is a LEADER of men. No run game, 4 starting olineman out, knocked around for 58 minutes & 26 seconds. 1:34 left, loudest stadium in the NFL, puts a f*cking stake through their heart!

Washington struggled to produce yardage all day behind an offensive line missing four starters and paving the way for just 51 yards rushing at 2.2 yards per rush. Cousins, meanwhile, was sacked six times and hit all afternoon.

Archived