Grading the Jets: A breakdown of their surprising first half

Gas2No99

Grading the Jets: A breakdown of their surprising first half

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F1102%2Fr283659_1
Josh McCown and Austin Seferian-Jenkins have been bright spots for the Jets this season. Al Bello/Getty Images

It's that time of the year -- midseason analysis. Let's start with a report card for the New York Jets (4-5):

Quarterback: B+

Many observers (including me) figured Josh McCown would be injured or benched by now, but he has exceeded expectations. With a 70.4-percent completion mark, he's on pace to set the franchise record for a season. The Jets knew he had it in him, but they weren't sure if the 38-year-old would be able to stay healthy. He ranks 19th with a 51.0 Total QBR, ahead of quarterbacks such as Cam NewtonEli Manning and Philip Rivers. He also leads the team with three rushing touchdowns. The biggest negative is that he hasn't played well in the fourth quarter.

Running back: B-

The Jets are a middle-of-the-pack team in most of the major rushing categories. They have only six runs of at least 20 yards, including four by Bilal Powell, who has 75- and 51-yarders. It's not the flashiest backfield, but Powell, Matt Forte and Elijah McGuire are grinders. The trio is among the top 24 in yards after contact per rush. Forte isn't as elusive as he once was, but he's making an impact as a receiver with 29 catches, only one shy of last season's total. They have a coordinator, John Morton, who knows how to utilize his strengths. McGuire opened eyes with a 69-yard touchdown run, but he hasn't been able to recapture that magic.

Wide receiver: B

Jermaine KearseRobby Anderson and Jeremy Kerley have combined for 1,080 receiving yards and nine touchdowns, more than anybody could've expected from the receivers coming out of camp. There haven't been a lot of chunk plays (12.7 yards per catch, 18th), but they don't beat themselves. In fact, the Jets' receiving corps has the fewest drops in the league -- one (Anderson), according to ESPN Stats & Information. Anderson has a chance to be special if he stays focused. Rookies ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen haven't contributed, and that's disappointing.

Tight end: B+

Eureka! The Jets have re-discovered the tight-end position. The team that ranked dead last in receptions over the previous two seasons has jumped to 10th (44 catches). Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Eric Tomlinson complement each other nicely, with Seferian-Jenkins used as a receiver, Tomlinson a blocker. This has been a breakout year for Seferian-Jenkins, who turned around his life and his game. He's on pace for 66 receptions. Tomlinson is one of the most under-rated players on the team.

Offensive line: C

The overall grade takes a hit because the pass protection hasn't been good. The Jets rank 23rd in pressure percentage and 28th in sacks per drop back, a deficiency that tends to show up at the worst possible time -- the fourth quarter. McCown doesn't hold the ball too long (his release time ranks 13th), so the line has to own most of it. The rushing totals are solid, but there needs to be more consistency. The ground game was dominant in wins over the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars, but there also was a four-game stretch where it failed to crack 100 yards. Penalties have been an issues, especially for guard Brian Winters (six).

Defensive line: C

If we were grading based only on the last game, it would be an A, but we can't forget the defensive line underachieved in many of the first eight games. Facts are facts: The Jets are 23rd in run defense and 23rd in sacks per attempt. The pass rush isn't dormant -- after all, they're eighth in pressure percentage -- but there should be more production, especially from Muhammad Wilkerson (two sacks) and Leonard Williams (half-sack). Kony Ealy tends to freelance at times, but he has emerged as a premier shot blocker, so to speak -- eight batted passes. Look for a big jump from this group over the second half.

Linebacker: C+

The Jets are getting nice production out of their inside linebackersDemario Davis(team-high 3.5 sacks) and Darron Lee, who rebounded after a shaky start. Davis, who replaced longtime middle linebacker David Harris, has brought more athleticism to the position. It really shows up when he's blitzing; he's also the leading tackler. The problem is outside linebacker. Jordan Jenkins is doing a decent job as a first- and second-down edge setter, but season-ending injuries to Lorenzo Mauldin and Dylan Donahue have hurt the pass rush -- only 5.5 sacks for the outside 'backers.

Secondary: B-

This is one of the most improved areas from last year, and most of the credit goes to the newcomers -- cornerback Morris Claiborne and rookie safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. It's a faster, more cohesive unit than a year ago, resulting in fewer busted coverages and more takeaways -- 16, tied for third in the league. They've already surpassed last year's total (14), which is crazy. Maye has created three, with two interceptions and a forced fumble. Adams has two fumble recoveries and two sacks. On the downside, cornerback Buster Skrine has struggled, especially with penalties (a team-high 10).

Special teams: B-

The Jets are ranked 13th in expected points added by special teams, per ESPN data. Punter Lachlan Edwards has improved significantly, kicker Chandler Catanzaro has been better than expected (except for one miserable day in the rain) and the coverage units have been solid. Unfortunately, two muffed punts (Kalif Raymond and Jeremy Kerley) were huge plays in two losses.

The offensive lines inability to get short yardage rushing should be a D. Sometimes we like to blame the defense for their inability to stop teams in the 4th quarter but controlling the ball & using the clock is an underrated part of PROTECTING YOUR DEFENSE. There are a lot of explosive offensive players in this league & for the most part defenses are designed to slow the other team down but defenses just aren't as fresh in most 4th quarters. 

For that reason I believe the most pressing improvement needed after hopefully beating the Bucs to get to 5-5 heading into the 2nd half of the season is getting this short yardage offense on track.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

The Jets secondary has given up 19 passing TD's.  Dead last in the NFL.  Yet, they're a greatly improved B-?  Huh?

1. I would like to know compared to other teams, and I've mentioned this before, how many of those TD passes are within 5 yards of the end zone, and how many of them are 20 yards plus. Because last year they gave up a ton of long TD passes. This year, they've given up, if my memory serves, at least 7 TD passes within 10 yards of the end zone

Game 1: 2 TD passes both of 1 yard

Game 2: 3 TD passes: 2 yards, 1 yard and 26 yards

Game 3: 1 TD pass: 3 yards

Game 4: 1 TD pass: 10 yards

Game 5: 2 TD passes: 21 Yards and 41 Yards

Game 6: 2 TD passes: 2 yards and 33 yards

Game 7: 4 TD passes: 4 yards, 4 yards, 28 yards, 2 yards

Game 8: 2 TD passes: 1 yards and 8 yards

Game 9: 2 TD passes: 10 yards and 26 yards

So of the 19 TD passes they have given up this year, 13 of them have been within 10 yards of the endzone

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. I would like to know compared to other teams, and I've mentioned this before, how many of those TD passes are within 5 yards of the end zone, and how many of them are 20 yards plus. Because last year they gave up a ton of long TD passes. This year, they've given up, if my memory serves, at least 7 TD passes within 10 yards of the end zone

Short TD passes only count for 4 points, not 6

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's not the point. The point is the impression it gives. What looks worse. At the end of the day the Robert Woods TD on 3rd and 33 looks worse than a 1 yard TD pass from Brady, but they cost the same

Whofans, this is your best take ever.  Thank you for this.  I adore you.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

That and it also proves the Jets haven't given up the most passing TD's in the NFL because of impressions. 

Skrine is horrible but the 2 rookie safeties have performed well. They have made mistakes because they are rookies but they have done a much better job than last years disaster when we were getting torched over the top game in and game out. If you can't see the difference in the overall play especially deep and over the middle then I don't know what to tell ya. 

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Skrine is horrible but the 2 rookie safeties have performed well. They have made mistakes because they are rookies but they have done a much better job than last years disaster when we were getting torched over the top game in and game out. If you can't see the difference in the overall play especially deep and over the middle then I don't know what to tell ya. 

Probably the two biggest mistakes MAccagnan has made as GM- drafting Hackenberg and signing Skrine

I hate to say it, but there was a method in Macc's madness in drafting two safeties.  If he addressed the absolute worst unit on this team last year, then maybe we could get by with passable play from the others.  The secondary absolutely killed us last year.  And getting Revis and Pryor off the team was paramount.

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I hate to say it, but there was a method in Macc's madness in drafting two safeties.  If he addressed the absolute worst unit on this team last year, then maybe we could get by with passable play from the others.  The secondary absolutely killed us last year.  And getting Revis and Pryor off the team was paramount.

I gotta agree.  I think Mac's big surprise is McCown playing so well that Petty and Hack aren't getting their chances.  IMHO, Mac never figured on paying McCown ALL those starter bonuses.  Mac has got to be in shock that this part of his deft delayed rebuilt hasn't worked out.    

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So TD’s thrown within 10 yards don’t count for 6 points? Gotcha. Thanks for make no such an astute analysis. 

5 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The 2 safeties have done squat. Below average play at best. You are talking about a #6 1st round pick that has made minimal impact and high #2 pick that between them have what ....1 fumble recovery and 1 interception, countless missed tackles and been burned repeatedly.  I was all in on Adams but he has not impressed me in the slightest.  Maye has not lived up to his #2 pick status either.  There are numerous other rookie picks that are lighting up the NFL.  You could have drafted 2 safeties in the later rounds that would have contributed more than these two.  

Bigo's statement below is one where "What games have you been watching comes to mind":

The 2 safeties have done squat. Below average play at best. You are talking about a #6 1st round pick that has made minimal impact and high #2 pick that between them have what ....1 fumble recovery and 1 interception, countless missed tackles and been burned repeatedly.  I was all in on Adams but he has not impressed me in the slightest.  Maye has not lived up to his #2 pick status either.  There are numerous other rookie picks that are lighting up the NFL.  You could have drafted 2 safeties in the later rounds that would have contributed more than these two.  

Adam's has 2 fumble recoveries and has several sacks and made multiple big plays along with many tackles and TFLs. Maye has 2-3 INTs and also multiple tackles and a forced fumble. Without these 2 this D is nowhere and they are like night and day compared to our safeties of the past. And this all as rookies.

10 hours ago, JiF said:

The Jets secondary has given up 19 passing TD's.  Dead last in the NFL.  Yet, they're a greatly improved B-?  Huh?

thank you

suck is suck - and they do

at least we're not paying Revis type money to the current participants for the same level of suck

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Bigo's statement below is one where "What games have you been watching comes to mind":

Adam's has 2 fumble recoveries and has several sacks and made multiple big plays along with many tackles and TFLs. Maye has 2-3 INTs and also multiple tackles and a forced fumble. Without these 2 this D is nowhere and they are like night and day compared to our safeties of the past. And this all as rookies.

Oooooooh 2 fumble recoveries wooooo. And several tackles wowowow. Wooop de do. He has been burned more than the state of California forest fires and whiffed on more tackles the Pryor. This dude has mediocre spelled all over him. He’s slow, can’t change direction, can’t cover his grandma ?. But he’s a hell of a cheerleader.  B U S T bust bust bust. And May is equivalent to a 5th rounder. Heck there are 6-7 rounders kicking it.  Mac is clueless as an evaluator. But I bet he makes a mean cup of coffee ☕️. 

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I gotta agree.  I think Mac's big surprise is McCown playing so well that Petty and Hack aren't getting their chances.  IMHO, Mac never figured on paying McCown ALL those starter bonuses.  Mac has got to be in shock that this part of his deft delayed rebuilt hasn't worked out.    

i don't think anyone thought mccown would play as well as he does but at the same time i would reduce the qb score a bit because of his limitations.  imagine if he and anderson or kearse or asj could hook up on passes longer than 20 yards.

It's amazing that people still disrespect the two guys in the back end, when last year they were getting burned long left and right. 

I mentioned this stat before, they've given up 19 TD passes but only 6 outside of 10 yards.

The Giants on the other hand, have given up 18 TD passes but 10 of them outside of 10 yards, including yesterday. And thats with Landon Collins

3 hours ago, BigO said:

Wrong. The 2 rookie safeties have played very well. The play over the middle is like night and day compared to last year. Take Skrine off this team and get a competent CB and the secondary could be a real strength. 

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Wrong. The 2 rookie safeties have played very well. The play over the middle is like night and day compared to last year. Take Skrine off this team and get a competent CB and the secondary could be a real strength. 

Smile a little smile for me Rosemarie. 

4 hours ago, NJ said:

thank you

suck is suck - and they do

at least we're not paying Revis type money to the current participants for the same level of suck

Exactly POTY.  I appreciate the enthusiasm many here have with this wannabe team but it’s a Ball ? of Confusion. That’s what happens when you’ve been so bad for so long. Hamburger helper tastes like a rib eye steak ?. 

12 hours ago, BigO said:

Oooooooh 2 fumble recoveries wooooo. And several tackles wowowow. Wooop de do. He has been burned more than the state of California forest fires and whiffed on more tackles the Pryor. This dude has mediocre spelled all over him. He’s slow, can’t change direction, can’t cover his grandma ?. But he’s a hell of a cheerleader.  B U S T bust bust bust. And May is equivalent to a 5th rounder. Heck there are 6-7 rounders kicking it.  Mac is clueless as an evaluator. But I bet he makes a mean cup of coffee ☕️. 

Is this a joke or something? whiffed on more tackles than Pryor? mediocre? BUST? who are these 6-7 rounders you are referring to? Or are you just talking out of your ass? usually we can tell when people do that because they just spout off stuff with weak jokes and no details. 

Either you are watching last years games on your DVR or you are the worst talent evaluator/SOJF I have ever seen. 

Archived