Would Eli To The Jets Be A Possibiity?

TuscanyTile2

I know I'll get bashed for this post but whatevs...

The Giants might end up cleaning house after yesterday's brutal loss.  If they end up getting a top draft pick and take someone like Darnold/Rosen, do you think they'd trade Eli?  I get the feeling Eli still wants to play and I wouldn't be surprised if he could still do it.  I'd rather have Eli than overpay for Cousins.  And while I like Alex Smith, he might be overvalued considered the weapons he has in KC (which I'm guessing are inflating his #'s).  I think Eli is a solid QB who stays on the field and has a history of playing well in big games.  I'm not saying he's ideal but we could definitely do a lot worse.

I have no idea what Eli would cost though.  Would a 2nd rounder do the job?  And I will say that if the price tag were equal, I'd probably take Alex Smith over Eli, just because he's younger.  I just get the feeling KC will ask for a lot for Smith, given the season he's having.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see Eli playing for another team if the Mannings can dictate terms, he said yesterday he still wants to play, he is younger than McCown...

I also think the vagiants clear out the coaching staff well before Eli - look at what Mcvay has done for Goff, after 2 SB's, they have to try 

McAdoo acts like a fat bully defending his job - everything is fine and I'll kick your ass if you disagree - I have not watched any of their games but it seems like he needs to be fired this afternoon

Eli Manning is terrible and I still feel he went on 2 of the luckiest runs in the history of the NFL. The guy had like 2 or 3 good years surrounded by crap.

No way a rebuilding team looks at an aging veteran like Eli unless its a one year stop gap type like we did with McCown. We either trade for a franchise type guy, sign a franchise type guy, or draft a franchise type guy and at this stage Eli is none of those things.

Best case is the Jets do what they need to do to get a top prospect in this years draft that's anyone but Sam Darnold.

45 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know I'll get bashed for this post but whatevs...

The Giants might end up cleaning house after yesterday's brutal loss.  If they end up getting a top draft pick and take someone like Darnold/Rosen, do you think they'd trade Eli?  I get the feeling Eli still wants to play and I wouldn't be surprised if he could still do it.  I'd rather have Eli than overpay for Cousins.  And while I like Alex Smith, he might be overvalued considered the weapons he has in KC (which I'm guessing are inflating his #'s).  I think Eli is a solid QB who stays on the field and has a history of playing well in big games.  I'm not saying he's ideal but we could definitely do a lot worse.

I have no idea what Eli would cost though.  Would a 2nd rounder do the job?  And I will say that if the price tag were equal, I'd probably take Alex Smith over Eli, just because he's younger.  I just get the feeling KC will ask for a lot for Smith, given the season he's having.

Why would you bring in a 37 year old QB? Might as well sign McCown at 38 for another year then!!!

1 minute ago, skippyy said:

Why would you bring in a 37 year old QB? Might as well sign McCown at 38 for another year then!!!

Eli won 2 Superbowls.  McCown went 2-20 in his previous 22 games before coming here.  It's certainly possible Eli is a has-been but McCown is a never-was.

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's +30, turnover prone and would probably keep Todd from having to play a younger QB, so he's probably going to be a high priority assuming he's made available and Josh McCown decides to retire. 

And keep Macagnan from drafting a QB in 2018. 

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

And keep Macagnan from drafting a QB in 2018. 

The 2019 QB class is going to be rich.  Once every 20 years type rich.  Any QB needy team will be set.  Especially if Darnold and Rosen return.  So it’s all good in the hood.  

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

The 2019 QB class is going to be rich.  Once every 20 years type rich.

I knew it was only a matter of time till this meme started.

Suck for Sam failed in 2018.  Suck for Sam 2019 inbound!  2019, historic QB class, better than the Marino class, why would ANYONE take a QB in 2018 with the 2019 class pending???

Rinse and repeat.  I hear 2020 is already shaping up to be....historic.  Lol.

He also has a clause where he has to agree to which team he would be traded to. Chances are he'd go to Denver, Minnesota, or Jaguars before us. He only had a couple of years left and won't want to waste them rebuilding. Although, Denver's oline and run game is horrendous so...how many options will he really have?

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If you mean that it's a possibility I'd walk out the friggin' door, flip a double bird at the stupidity of our owner/management, and never look back?  Then yes.

That's the line?  Mark Sanchez > Geno Smith > Ryan Fitzpatrick > Josh McCown didn't do it, but the hard line is Eli Manning?

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

That's the line?  Mark Sanchez > Geno Smith > Ryan Fitzpatrick > Josh McCown didn't do it, but the hard line is Eli Manning?

Yup.  Y...U...P.  I don't want no stinkin' Vagiants on my team.  Especially a washed up one.  Eli in green & white is sacrilege.  You like the idea?  Fine.  Go buy a fukkin' Eli jersey.

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I knew it was only a matter of time till this meme started.

Suck for Sam failed in 2018.  Suck for Sam 2019 inbound!  2019, historic QB class, better than the Marino class, why would ANYONE take a QB in 2018 with the 2019 class pending???

Rinse and repeat.  I hear 2020 is already shaping up to be....historic.  Lol.

Nick Fitzgerald is the next Dak Prescott. 

Jared Stidham makes offensive coordinators panties melt.

Chase Litton is like Big Ben.

Jacob Eason might end up being the steal of the century.

Big Mac's got this.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nick Fitzgerald is the next Dak Prescott. 

Jared Stidham makes offensive coordinators panties melt.

Chase Litton is like Big Ben.

Jacob Eason might end up being the steal of the century.

Big Mac's got this.

But wait!  The 2022 Class, THAT Class is going to knock the socks off the league!  It will literally change the face of football as we know it.  Only a FOOL would pick a QB in 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021 with THIS class coming.

Why, the 2022 class will be the greatest ever.....till 2023.  Wow, 2023.

28 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Yup.  Y...U...P.  I don't want no stinkin' Vagiants on my team.  Especially a washed up one.  Eli in green & white is sacrilege.  You like the idea?  Fine.  Go buy a fukkin' Eli jersey.

I don't like the idea at all.  But that wouldn't be my line, after living through these last few years.

9 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

If Eli were to go anywhere, I could see John Elway in Denver, grasping again at an aging Manning.

And he'd be wise to do it, too. For all his warts, if there's one thing Eli has proven in this league, it's that he can ride a defense and strong offensive talent to the super bowl and make the 4-5 necessary plays a game to bring home a trophy.

He may not be much as a stand-alone talent like his brother or Brees or Rodgers, but there is enough talent there to separate him from his statistical comps. And Elway's got that Denver team fully prepped for someone like him to come in and compete for another championship.

There are very few QBs that you can draft and assume will be the only QB you need. 

If the Jets drafted a QB 5-15 that they liked long-term but did not want to throw to the wolves, Eli could be an ok option, but so is McCown at this point (and McCown may be a better fit for the offense).  

It would be extremely Jetsy for the Jets to pay a high draft pick for any old QB that they have to pay serious money to.  The Giants would be lucky to get rid of Eli's contract.  I am totally ok with McCown and a search for a young QB, although at 38 it seems like a big gamble.  The McCown plan comes off the rails if his agents asks for big money again.  McCown for up to $8mm this year is a great deal for the Jets, and people thought it was too good of a deal for McCown.  If McCown will do the same deal again, I would hit it and try and draft the best value QB in round 1 or 2 (and then maybe again late)-Petty at this point may be better than Hack, but next year is his last year under contract.  Hack may not survive next TC.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

But wait!  The 2022 Class, THAT Class is going to knock the socks off the league!  It will literally change the face of football as we know it.  Only a FOOL would pick a QB in 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021 with THIS class coming.

Why, the 2022 class will be the greatest ever.....till 2023.  Wow, 2023.

Archived