Would Eli To The Jets Be A Possibiity?

TuscanyTile2

2 hours ago, Butterfield said:

He's going to Jacksonville.

to do what? hold them back like he has held the giants back the last 5-6 years?

59 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have to say, ignoring McCown's age and injury and playing history, McCown is a better QB than Manning.

Eli has had the much better career but Josh is playing better now than Eli has in a long time.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/6/2017 at 7:36 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know I'll get bashed for this post but whatevs...

The Giants might end up cleaning house after yesterday's brutal loss.  If they end up getting a top draft pick and take someone like Darnold/Rosen, do you think they'd trade Eli?  I get the feeling Eli still wants to play and I wouldn't be surprised if he could still do it.  I'd rather have Eli than overpay for Cousins.  And while I like Alex Smith, he might be overvalued considered the weapons he has in KC (which I'm guessing are inflating his #'s).  I think Eli is a solid QB who stays on the field and has a history of playing well in big games.  I'm not saying he's ideal but we could definitely do a lot worse.

I have no idea what Eli would cost though.  Would a 2nd rounder do the job?  And I will say that if the price tag were equal, I'd probably take Alex Smith over Eli, just because he's younger.  I just get the feeling KC will ask for a lot for Smith, given the season he's having.

I mentioned this a month ago as a joke, when I saw how much even worse the giants compared to the jets. Right now McCown is better than Eli, eli is going down fast. He is much less mobile than McCown and at this point and on Eli needs an all star Oline in order to be decent. We need to rebuild around a qb, not take someone’s left overs. Giants will probably draft a blue chip qb with a top 3 pick. Ironically what jets were hoping to do. But the jets lose when we are dying for them to win, win when we don’t care if they do. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

to do what? hold them back like he has held the giants back the last 5-6 years?

Eli has had the much better career but Josh is playing better now than Eli has in a long time.

Eli is so incredibly overrated. Don't get me wrong. He's been a quality QB. But the idea that he is HOF QB in my opinion is a joke. Hall of Famers are good year in and year out. Eli has had some bad seasons in his prime years. You don't see top players do that. He had those 2 incredible runs which is going to top everything else though and he'll get in.

Eli was good. Never great.

41 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Eli is so incredibly overrated. Don't get me wrong. He's been a quality QB. But the idea that he is HOF QB in my opinion is a joke. Hall of Famers are good year in and year out. Eli has had some bad seasons in his prime years. You don't see top players do that. He had those 2 incredible runs which is going to top everything else though and he'll get in.

Eli was good. Never great.

it's amazing, just his name being mentioned as a HOFer is an incredible joke.  he was a solid starting QB who but really nothing more.  He played well both SB runs but they won b/c their D and STs held great offenses down.  Think of it this way, with SB championship talent he led the giants to 9 and 10 wins in those 2 seasons.  He's never won a playoff game where his D allowed more than 20 pts, he has playoff wins in only 2 seasons of his career, he's missed the playoffs 7 of 9 seasons, never made an all pro team, only made 2 real PB teams(2 more as injury replacement).  he's not a Hall of Famer.

I think we could easily get eli and his 23 million contract . If gave the giants our 7th rd pick for eli and the giants 2nd rounder ? lol. In all seriousness they will make him restructure or he is getting cut. McCown is much better than Eli is today and so on. And is making a fraction of eli laughable salary.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you going to keep saying this when he is in the Hall of Fame?

If he is foolishly enshrined I will keep saying he doesn't belong as long as I am alive but I have some faith in the voters to do the right thing.  He's not even a borderline candidate.  How can a player that was NEVER great be enshrined w/ the all time greats? simply b/c his D led them to 2 SBs and he won 2 SB MVPs he didn't deserve?

show me all the HOFers to never make a single all pro team, he hasn't even made one of the non official ones like sporting news or PFF.  he's made 2 legit PBs in his career, never led any major category other than INTs THREE times.  He's not a Hall of Famer.

The Jets need to move away from quick fix retread QB's and try to get a young franchise QB and a solid backup. They may already have the backup on the Team.

In Eli's defense though, Mc Adoos offence is pretty complex. Eli had a tough time the first year adjusting. I think he might do much better in an offense similar to what Morton runs. He is a 2 time SB QB. Dont know if it's just the O scheme, chemistry, or he's just washed up but he is struggling.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:26 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Eli won 2 Superbowls.  McCown went 2-20 in his previous 22 games before coming here.  It's certainly possible Eli is a has-been but McCown is a never-was.

McCown is 4-5 and close to a 70% passer with a substandard offense this year.  He's kept us in most every game and been better than Eli who has arguably a much better team around him.  McCown is cheap and is willing to hand over the reigns when we find a younger successor and will fit nicely into an emergency backup role.  Don't talk to me about 2-20 with the worst teams on the planet.  He's been an asset to us.

5 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

McCown is 4-5 and close to a 70% passer with a substandard offense this year.  He's kept us in most every game and been better than Eli who has arguably a much better team around him.  McCown is cheap and is willing to hand over the reigns when we find a younger successor and will fit nicely into an emergency backup role.  Don't talk to me about 2-20 with the worst teams on the planet.  He's been an asset to us.

Fitz was an asset to us his first year too.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

So was the easy schedule, Brandon Marshall, Chris Ivory, Eric Decker, Brick, Mangold, Wilk, Sheldon, Revis, Cromartie,  Gilcrist, etc.  We have a rising team now and whether we fill the starting role with Cousins, or draft a young QB, McCown will still be an asset.

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed, but we know what McCown is, he's a bridge QB, and mentor guy. Fitz thought he was an NFL starter and wanted a contract to reflect that. We also thought he was going to be the same in 2016. The Jets know better now, and will be looking for the long term replacement, in the off season.

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

If he is foolishly enshrined I will keep saying he doesn't belong as long as I am alive but I have some faith in the voters to do the right thing.  He's not even a borderline candidate.  How can a player that was NEVER great be enshrined w/ the all time greats? simply b/c his D led them to 2 SBs and he won 2 SB MVPs he didn't deserve?

show me all the HOFers to never make a single all pro team, he hasn't even made one of the non official ones like sporting news or PFF.  he's made 2 legit PBs in his career, never led any major category other than INTs THREE times.  He's not a Hall of Famer.

Actually they have a special wing now for QBs that won two Super Bowl MVPs they didn't deserve now. 

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Actually they have a special wing now for QBs that won two Super Bowl MVPs they didn't deserve now. 

the D held 2 all time great offenses to 14 and 17 pts, eli had to lead his O to 17 and 19 pts to win.  Tyree deserved the first one and Tuck deserved the 2nd one.  they tend to give to QBs by default, b/c he won 2 does not make him a HOFer.  HOF players are supposed to be all time greats, at no point in his career was he a great QB let alone an all time great.  He has been a solid starter whose best quality has been his durability.  you don't get to the Hall based solely on durability.

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I will definitely agree with that statement however the schedule that year was soft. McCown faces a pretty tough schedule this year and he had the Pats and Falcons on the run. Beat up the Bills pretty good. We'll see how he finishes out the season as the schedule continues to be challenging. If the Defense finishes even close to what we saw last week it could be a surprise ending for the Jets. They have to put together a string of wins and consistency on both sides of the ball.

57 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fitz benefitted from incredible talent around him, McCown doesn't have that.  Fitz would just throw the ball up for grabs and Marshall and Decker would get it.  when those 2 struggled(mostly b/c of health) and/or got hurt last year Fitz was terrible.  I can only imagine what Fitz would do w/ these weapons we have this year.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

they do hate us which is why they probably would trade him to us if we would be dumb enough to make that trade.

Not that I want it to happen but you really think us trading a 5th round pick for Eli would be dumb?  

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Not that I want it to happen but you really think us trading a 5th round pick for Eli would be dumb?  

It would never happen but I think Eli is done, he has struggled for many years despite some decent #s.  2 years ago he was awful but if you look at the #s you would think he was really good.  The D got all the blame for the late game losses but he was just as responsible w/ bonehead decision making.  Eli is on borrowed time, he has been incredibly durable but so was his brother outside of the one year and he broke down late- it happens to all of them(except Brady for some reason).

I don't think Eli would give us more than what McCown has given us.  obviously Eli had a much better career and was a better QB than McCown but this franhise either needs a QB of the future or to acquire a vet that can play 5-10 years like a Cousins or Bridgewater.

42 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the D held 2 all time great offenses to 14 and 17 pts, eli had to lead his O to 17 and 19 pts to win.  Tyree deserved the first one and Tuck deserved the 2nd one.  they tend to give to QBs by default, b/c he won 2 does not make him a HOFer.  HOF players are supposed to be all time greats, at no point in his career was he a great QB let alone an all time great.  He has been a solid starter whose best quality has been his durability.  you don't get to the Hall based solely on durability.

Man Tyree and Tuck must be pissed. 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

It would never happen but I think Eli is done, he has struggled for many years despite some decent #s.  2 years ago he was awful but if you look at the #s you would think he was really good.  The D got all the blame for the late game losses but he was just as responsible w/ bonehead decision making.  Eli is on borrowed time, he has been incredibly durable but so was his brother outside of the one year and he broke down late- it happens to all of them(except Brady for some reason).

I don't think Eli would give us more than what McCown has given us.  obviously Eli had a much better career and was a better QB than McCown but this franhise either needs a QB of the future or to acquire a vet that can play 5-10 years like a Cousins or Bridgewater.

Eli isn’t done he has another 1-2 years his OL stinks and Beckham is on IR plus the Giants secondary is an absolute joke

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Man Tyree and Tuck must be pissed. 

it's not about that, anyone watching the games knows Eli wasn't the real MVP but it fools people who just look at stat sheets which is why he is even being discussed as a potential HOfer. 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Eli isn’t done he has another 1-2 years his OL stinks and Beckham is on IR plus the Giants secondary is an absolute joke

Eli has been mediocre/bad for a long time.  The Ol isn't great but ours isn't either and yet our journeyman has been better and that includes when he had Beckham and everyone relatively healthy early in the year.  Eli was dragged to the playoffs last year, w/ all those weapons he was awful last year. the Giants joke of a secondary was a main reason they made the playoffs last year as Eli did very little despite having the best weapon in the game to pass to.

Eli will play a few more years but it will be the Eli of the last few years not 2011 or 2008 Eli(his only 2 PB worthy seasons)

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it's not about that, anyone watching the games knows Eli wasn't the real MVP but it fools people who just look at stat sheets which is why he is even being discussed as a potential HOfer. 

Eli has been mediocre/bad for a long time.  The Ol isn't great but ours isn't either and yet our journeyman has been better and that includes when he had Beckham and everyone relatively healthy early in the year.  Eli was dragged to the playoffs last year, w/ all those weapons he was awful last year. the Giants joke of a secondary was a main reason they made the playoffs last year as Eli did very little despite having the best weapon in the game to pass to.

Eli will play a few more years but it will be the Eli of the last few years not 2011 or 2008 Eli(his only 2 PB worthy seasons)

I put him in just for being on the field When the Giants prevent the Pats from a perfect season. 

Eli isn't qualified to be a Jets QB. For starters, he's been to the playoffs, which is an automatic disqualifier - but more importantly, he hasn't been universally rejected by the other 31 teams in the league. Once that happens, he might have a chance to suit up in green and white.

Archived