No More Blurred Lines for Gang Green Could Mean Playoff Push

JetNation

IMG_3180-1.jpg

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why they play the games.

The New York Jets, picked to win anywhere from no games at all, to a maximum of three or four, have already hit the four win mark to pull within 1 game of .500 at 4-5.  With the struggling Tampa Bay Buccaneers on deck, a fifth win is far from a guarantee, but it’s looking far more likely now than it had at any other point this season.

Any hopes of coming away with the number one pick in the 2018 NFL draft are a distant memory, and if their most recent performance against the Buffalo Bills is any indicator of what’s to come, a playoff push is far from out of the question as the Jets have started to play well where it matters most…up front.

As difficult as it may be to fathom, it’s far from a stretch to say that the Jets could realistically be sitting at 6-3 or 7-2 at the moment, having blown three fourth-quarter leads.  The primary culprit in those losses?  A running game that wasn’t able to chew up yards on the ground late in the game, and no pass rush to hold off opposing offenses.  Could both those issues be a thing of the past?

Offensive guards James Carpenter and Brian Winters were expected to be a stabilizing presence in the middle of the O-line but up until this week, that hasn’t been the case as the Jets offense has struggled to run the ball with any degree of consistency.

Along the defensive line, defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson seems to enjoy playing football once again.  This, after almost a year and a half of complete ineffectiveness and poor effort.

IMG_3576-300x222.jpg

Muhammad Wilkerson is playing like a man on a mission.

With Wilkerson seemingly revitalized, the Jets defensive line has played much better over the past three weeks with their best game coming on Thursday against the Bills when, led by the D-line, Jets defense racked up seven sacks.  In addition to their defensive dominance, while facing a Bills defense that had surrendered just 80 yards per game on the ground prior to Thursday, the Jets poured on the ground and pound.  When the dust settled, the Jets had rushed for a whopping 197 total yards.

All of a sudden, the Jets remaining schedule doesn’t seem nearly as daunting.  Two of the team’s next four opponents (Tampa Bay and Denver) have struggled to score points as of late, and another team, the Carolina Panthers, just traded one of their top receivers in Kelvin Benjamin.  If the Jets defensive line continues to play at a high level, there won’t be a great deal to ask of the offense to come away with a win in any of those three games.

Watching a roster built by Mike Maccagnan and coached by Todd Bowles play well may be a bitter pill to swallow for the “pro tank” crowd, but the reality is that this team has been competitive in all but one game this season, and the uncertainty and inconsistency along the offensive and defensive lines may have worked themselves out, putting the team in position to make a late-season push.

If Wilkerson reverts to what he was just a few weeks ago, and the offensive line fails to continue to win their battles in the ground game, there will be no tank, but nor will there be any meaningful football in December.  If they continue to play at a high level however, it could be a completely different story.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mrtA0XZprAY

Click here to read the full story...

Oh, those 4th quarter woes. The Pats game just kills me because I honestly believe it was one of the most lopsided games called by any referee crew this year. I'd never had so many people who were NOT Jet fans watch that game and tell me how much we were screwed by the refs in that game. 5-4 with a win over each division opponent would have been sweet.

The tank is already tanked. Losing out is just losing out. But good news is Jets beat four crap teams, are dead last in the AFCE, and now we (head scratch) are stylin' for the playoffs with Carolina, KC, Saints, and Pats in the way! Pats at Gillette will not be a close game like Week 6 ... guaranteed. We're looking straight down the barrel of 7-9 at best to hit the Bowleseye not bullseye, no postseason, but they repeat the show next year.

12 minutes ago, jetrider said:

The tank is already tanked. Losing out is just losing out. But good news is Jets beat four crap teams, are dead last in the AFCE, and now we (head scratch) are stylin' for the playoffs with Carolina, KC, Saints, and Pats in the way! Pats at Gillette will not be a close game like Week 6 ... guaranteed. We're looking straight down the barrel of 7-9 at best to hit the Bowleseye not bullseye, no postseason, but we'll repeat the show next year.

The Jaguars are not a crappy team

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Got it. I thought they were crap when we played them but I guess not.

Correction: Jets beat three crap teams, are dead last in AFCE ...

Once again excuses for every jet win. The Jags are pretty good and the Bills were 5-2 coming in despite the jets making them look like garbage. You take away the browns and the combined records of the other 3 are 14-10 but that just doesn't fit the narrative. 

51 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Once again excuses for every jet win. The Jags are pretty good and the Bills were 5-2 coming in despite the jets making them look like garbage. You take away the browns and the combined records of the other 3 are 14-10 but that just doesn't fit the narrative. 

But if you include CLE they are 14-18 and two of those wins were against the Jets so call it 12-18.

We can't enhance their records by losing to them and then brag about beating them the other time around. 

Or does that not fit your narrative?

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I dont think any of these guys are plug and play

I hear this every year from fans and "experts" alike, but yet every year there are multiple QB's drafted, regardless of round, that miraculously step in and play productively in their rookie year.  Mac needs to find one of those QB's in 2018. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

I hear this every year from fans and "experts" alike, but yet every year there are multiple QB's drafted, regardless of round, that miraculously step in and play productively in their rookie year.  Mac needs to find one of those QB's in 2018. 

IN the 3 years Macc has been here there have been 2 of those type of QBs. And one got hurt in the middle of his first season

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

IN the 3 years Macc has been here there have been 2 of those type of QBs. And one got hurt in the middle of his first season

Winston, Mariotta, Wentz, Goff, Prescott, Trubisky, Watson, Brissett (3 games) all were drafted between 2015-2017 and all were year one starters.  There will be as many as 5 legit day one starter candidates in the 2018 draft.  Mac better target the one he likes best and do whatever it takes to draft him.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Oh, those 4th quarter woes. The Pats game just kills me because I honestly believe it was one of the most lopsided games called by any referee crew this year. I'd never had so many people who were NOT Jet fans watch that game and tell me how much we were screwed by the refs in that game. 5-4 with a win over each division opponent would have been sweet.

Think of this many PATS fans said that we were robbed and for the most part that fan base would rob their own mother blind before they gave props to another team. 

That game was a disgrace and even the two former heads of NFL officiating agreed that they had never ever seen anything like it. Literally a call that couldn’t be overturned do to difinitive proof was overturned on conjecture!!!

Mindboggling!!!!

7 hours ago, jetrider said:

Got it. I thought they were crap when we played them but I guess not.

Correction: Jets beat three crap teams, are dead last in AFCE ...

The only Jets win against a team with a losing record is the Browns.  Also it is beyond stupid when a fan tries to diminish an accomplishment by claiming they "only beat crappy teams." Basically the point is when the Jets lose they stink and when they win they get no credit.  Idiocy 101!!

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

It was not even close to the most lopsided game called by a referee crew this year, because it was the most suspect, biased and corrupt officiating of any game in the NFL EVER, in my opinion. The referees literally cheated for the Patriots to win. And make no mistake, Brady was beat up the Jets had all the momentum and if that call stands the Jets win that game. Maybe if we do, McClown doesnt choke away the next two. In all seriousness that game has sucked a lot of my enthusiasm for football in general away for good I think. I am convinced that the NFL is completely biased towards doing what they can to make the top teams win. That game was disgusting.

6 hours ago, jetrider said:

But if you include CLE they are 14-18 and two of those wins were against the Jets so call it 12-18.

We can't enhance their records by losing to them and then brag about beating them the other time around. 

What? 3 of the 4 teams we beat have records of .500 or better. Every single win the jets have there is somebody making excuses. That team sucks... they played them on thursday night.... Blah Blah Blah. Will there be a win this year that people don't analyze the win to death? It's annoying. 

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Jaguars are not a crappy team

No they’re not but Bortles is a head case, thus they are schizoid.  Put a decent QB on that team and they going places. They got crazy young talent And I for one am extremely envious of the roster they have assembled. Next year Bortles is a distant memory.  Cousins would be an ideal fit for the Jags who are an up and coming team. 

17 hours ago, jetrider said:

and the point is?  there are no easy teams in the nfl.  and any good team can be bad on the day they are played.  for anyone to disparage the jet wins because they were against "crappy" teams.  remember this is a team that was predicted to win 2 or 3 games.  talk about a crappy team.  and what they showed in at least two of those games was the ability to put together a complete game.  that is they won the offense, defense and special teams battles.  this is something the jets haven't been able to do for about 8 seasons.

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It was not even close to the most lopsided game called by a referee crew this year, because it was the most suspect, biased and corrupt officiating of any game in the NFL EVER, in my opinion. The referees literally cheated for the Patriots to win. And make no mistake, Brady was beat up the Jets had all the momentum and if that call stands the Jets win that game. Maybe if we do, McClown doesnt choke away the next two. In all seriousness that game has sucked a lot of my enthusiasm for football in general away for good I think. I am convinced that the NFL is completely biased towards doing what they can to make the top teams win. That game was disgusting.

there is no doubt in my mind that the refs gave that game to the patsies.  even before the asj "touchdown fumble" they were blatantly calling the game for the patsies.  can't use it as an excuse to not winning the next two but it certainly didn't help.

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

there is no doubt in my mind that the refs gave that game to the patsies.  even before the asj "touchdown fumble" they were blatantly calling the game for the patsies.  can't use it as an excuse to not winning the next two but it certainly didn't help.

I live in NH, and my two buddies are Pats fans. They bust my balls all the time but I didn't hear from them until late Monday. These are guys that include each other in texting me, so I was shocked they didn't go after me that day.

They actually told me the next day they wanted to let me COOL DOWN and just didn't think it was right to bust my balls that day given the circumstances. In short, they felt sorry for me, they both knew the Jets got hosed over & over in that game & said it was the 1st time they tried to imagine how I felt watching that f*cking WWF matchup. That game was so horrible officiated to the Pats that even Pat fans felt a little dirty after that win. They went in thinking the Pats were going to devastate the Jets based on the preseason hype of how bad the Jets were. Instead they saw a team fighting there azz off & getting butt raped by the officials at every turn. That was a "we'll take it" game for Pats fans but they didn't come away feeling great about their team that day. 

22 hours ago, jetrider said:

The tank is already tanked. Losing out is just losing out. But good news is Jets beat four crap teams, are dead last in the AFCE, and now we (head scratch) are stylin' for the playoffs with Carolina, KC, Saints, and Pats in the way! Pats at Gillette will not be a close game like Week 6 ... guaranteed. We're looking straight down the barrel of 7-9 at best to hit the Bowleseye not bullseye, no postseason, but they repeat the show next year.

It’s the last game of the year. Pats may rest some starters hater

14 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The only Jets win against a team with a losing record is the Browns.  Also it is beyond stupid when a fan tries to diminish an accomplishment by claiming they "only beat crappy teams." Basically the point is when the Jets lose they stink and when they win they get no credit.  Idiocy 101!!

Beyond stupid is you and your goons throwing a ticker tape parade for the team's "accomplishment" when they're dead last in the AFCE with the rockiest terrain ahead on the schedule. IDIOCY 101!!

A full-on tank would've been a better accomplishment for a better reward.

10 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Beyond stupid is you and your goons throwing a ticker tape parade for the team's "accomplishment" when they're dead last in the AFCE with the rockiest terrain ahead on the schedule. IDIOCY 101!!

A full-on tank would've been a better accomplishment for a better reward.

If your definition of “goons” are people that are happy to see their team improving, I plead guilty! BTW, nobody is throwing a parade for a 4-5 team, just appreciating the hard way in which they play. Just look at the Giants effort against the Rams, nothing worse than a team that quits.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

I live in NH, and my two buddies are Pats fans. They bust my balls all the time but I didn't hear from them until late Monday. These are guys that include each other in texting me, so I was shocked they didn't go after me that day.

They actually told me the next day they wanted to let me COOL DOWN and just didn't think it was right to bust my balls that day given the circumstances. In short, they felt sorry for me, they both knew the Jets got hosed over & over in that game & said it was the 1st time they tried to imagine how I felt watching that f*cking WWF matchup. That game was so horrible officiated to the Pats that even Pat fans felt a little dirty after that win. They went in thinking the Pats were going to devastate the Jets based on the preseason hype of how bad the Jets were. Instead they saw a team fighting there azz off & getting butt raped by the officials at every turn. That was a "we'll take it" game for Pats fans but they didn't come away feeling great about their team that day. 

key phrase, "we'll take it".  i suppose we would too had the tables been turned but really, after 16 years of seeing the patsies pull this crap it's a little much.  the way that call was overturned had all the makings of an inside job at nfl headquarters.  i can only hope the jets stomp the crap out of these aholes, preferably this season so the patsie fans can all be happy about their team being pummeled by a team predicted to win 2 games.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/mapping-out-the-jets-road-to-the-playoffs/260884896

Ralph Vacchiano 

The Jets were supposed to be a miserable team this season. Few people predicted they'd have more than three or four wins. Some even predicted they'd end up with zero.

The fact that the playoffs are even a remote possibility heading into Week 10 is something of a minor miracle - and really, it might not be "remote" at all.

The Jets are 4-5. If the season ended right now they'd be just 1 ½ games behind the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Buffalo Bills - two teams they've beaten - for the AFC wild-card spots. Realistically, the Jets need to be at least 9-7 to be in the hunt at the end. That means they must go 5-2 the rest of the way.

Against a tough schedule, that might seem impossible … except that suddenly there are many soft spots in the schedule that don't look so tough any more. It's not crazy to think the Jets' chances could come down to their final game of the season -- in New England on New Year's Eve.

So just what are the Jets' playoff chances? Here's a look at the rest of their schedule, and just how beatable some of these opponents are:

WEEK 10: At Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-6), Sunday, 1 p.m. 

The Bucs qualify as one of the most disappointing teams in the NFL, having lost five straight games since they barely beat the awful Giants in Week 4. Now they'll be without QB Jameis Winston, which means ex-Jet Ryan Fitzpatrick has to start, and they might be without their top weapon, WR Mike Evans, unless his one-game suspension is overturned. Also, the Bucs have totaled 13 points in their last two games. 

How beatable are they? Very. In fact, this is the one game left on the schedule the Jets have no excuse to lose.

WEEK 12: Vs. Carolina Panthers (6-3), Nov. 26, 1 p.m.

The good news is the Jets have two weeks to prepare for this game against the NFL's best defense. That will be the Jets' biggest issue here - finding ways to score. But they won't have to score a lot because the Panthers have been somewhat offensively challenged, and they traded away a big weapon in WR Kelvin Benjamin. The key to this game may be whether Cam Newton is on or off. 

How beatable are they? Moderately, but it'll likely be a defensive slugfest and the Jets can't make the big mistake that has cost them so many close games.

WEEK 13: Vs. Kansas City Chiefs (6-3), Dec. 3, 1 p.m.

They have one of the most diverse and explosive offenses in football, not to mention some of the most dynamic playmakers (RB Kareem Hunt, WR Tyreek Hill, and even TE Travis Kelce). Their defense is lacking and they have lost three of their last four, but two of those were to the Steelers and Cowboys, who are both pretty good. It's hard to imagine the Jets' offense keeping up here. 

How beatable are they? Probably not at all. The Jets' offense has been surprisingly good, but they'd have to step up several levels to have a shot here.

WEEK 14: At Denver Broncos (3-5), Dec. 10, 4:05 p.m.

A few weeks ago, this was definitely in the "No shot" category. Then the Broncos came off their bye and lost four straight, including to the awful Giants and middling Chargers. Now even their vaunted defense is falling apart and they just benched QB Trevor Siemian in favor of Brock Osweiler. And they have the Patriots, Bengals and Raiders coming up? Yikes. 

How beatable are they? Very. I mean, the Giants pounded them 23-10 and ran for 148 yards on their defense. The Jets should run for about 300 yards then.

WEEK 15: At New Orleans Saints (6-2), Dec. 17, 1 p.m.)

Sean Payton is holding quite the Saints revival down south, winning six straight since their 0-2 start. They're doing it with their usual dynamic passing offense, a strong rushing attack and a surprisingly decent defense. Since losing their home opener to the Patriots they are 3-0 at home and when the Saints are going well, that place gets crazy loud and winning there becomes almost impossible.

How beatable are they? In the Superdome? They might not be. Not only will the Jets' offense need to find a different gear, they'll have to do it in one of the loudest, most difficult places to play.

WEEK 16: Vs. Los Angeles Chargers (3-5), Dec. 24, 1 p.m.

They crushed their season with an 0-4 start, but they've hung around in games against the Chiefs, Eagles and Patriots. They're better than their record, especially considering how they're underachieving on an offense that has QB Philip Rivers, RB Melvin Gordon and WR Keenan Allen. Their pass rush is dangerous too, but their run defense stinks, and that will help the Jets.  

How beatable are they? Very, especially since they might be out of it by this point and will have to fly across the country on a holiday weekend.

WEEK 17: At New England Patriots, Dec. 31, 1 p.m. 

Could it all come down to this? If you figure the Jets will lose to the Saints and the Chiefs, they'd have to hold serve against the Bucs, Panthers, Broncos and Chargers. Granted, that won't be easy for a young, mistake-prone Jets team that might just be playing a little over its head. But it's not impossible. And if the Jets can somehow come into this game with an 8-7 record and a shot at the postseason, how much fun would this be? 

How beatable are they? Well, back in Week 6 the Jets jumped out to a 14-0 lead on the Pats and were maybe a Buster Skrine dropped interception away from 21-0. And even after they fell behind, they were an inexplicable replay review on an Austin Seferian-Jenkins touchdown away from making it a three-point game with 8 ½ minutes to play. So yes, they could've easily won that game. They probably should have won it. So their chances in New England in the finale? Hey, you never know.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:10 PM, RevisIsland610 said:

What? 3 of the 4 teams we beat have records of .500 or better. Every single win the jets have there is somebody making excuses. That team sucks... they played them on thursday night.... Blah Blah Blah. Will there be a win this year that people don't analyze the win to death? It's annoying. 

You rang?

Archived