The "Can the Jets go 8-8 AND make the playoffs" Thread

ZachEY

The AFC flat out sucks.  If the season ended today, the seeding (per espn) would be:

1. Steelers

2. Patriots

3. Chiefs

4. Titans

5. Jaguars

6. Bills

The Jags and Bills are both 5-3 today.  And the other teams in contention, Dolphins, Ravens, and Raiders, have all failed to distinguish themselves.

Too early to run scenarios, but in a season where it looked like the tank was on and 2-3 wins realistic, 4 wins could potentially get a playoff spot...

That said, it's tough to find 4 more wins:

Bucs, Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos, Saints, Chargers, Pats

But 8-8 could definitely do it this year.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

6-10 or 7-9 is the likely result at this point.  

Agreed.  That said, 8-8 has a shot in the AFC this year.  Unlikely, on both counts, but not impossible.

Also sucks that the Pats will basically walk to the Super Bowl - Chiefs, we all know, will blow it.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The AFC flat out sucks.  If the season ended today, the seeding (per espn) would be:

1. Steelers

2. Patriots

3. Chiefs

4. Titans

5. Jaguars

6. Bills

The Jags and Bills are both 5-3 today.  And the other teams in contention, Dolphins, Ravens, and Raiders, have all failed to distinguish themselves.

Too early to run scenarios, but in a season where it looked like the tank was on and 2-3 wins realistic, 4 wins could potentially get a playoff spot...

Honestly, I don't think it's hard to find 4 wins there. They will be tough games, but I think each game will be close and can be had. None of those teams are really playing dominant football. 

Just now, varjet said:

5-3 extrapolates to 10-6.  That is the not the bad year where 8-8 teams make the playoffs.  The Jets were 10-6 in 2015 and missed the playoffs 

5-3 extrapolates to 10-6 the same way that 2-0 extrapolates to 16-0, right?

Bills next four are Saints, at Chargers, at Chiefs, and Pats.  0-4 is not unrealistic for that stretch.

It's a nice thought, but I don't think so.

We're 4-5 now.  We play:

1. At Bucs (Call it a Win) Enjoy the last breaths of postseason hope, 5-5

Bye Week, No QB Change because "Hope!"

2. Panthers (Loss) Jets O can't get it done, 5-6

3. Chiefs (Big Loss) 5-7, Season All But Over Now and Team Will Know It

4. At Broncos (Loss, Albeit Close) 5-8, Season Over, QB Change Pending

5. At Saints (Crushing Loss) 5-9, if Petty/Hack hasn't been played yet (and they won't, Bowles being Bowles), they will after this game.

6. Chargers (Win), Jets rise under whomever kid QB plays, wins vs. meh Chargers team. 6-9

7. At Patriots (Loss), Jetss kid QB falls back to Earth, 3+ INT's, sad end to season, 6-10

That's how I see it as of today.

8-8 is a possibility. Lets not make this out to be murderers row here over the next 7 games. They lose to the pats, saints, and chiefs for sure. The bucs, broncos and chargers are not good plus I think they could beat carolina at Metlife where they play well. I still think that it will take 9 wins to make it in though. 

Bucs look very beatable, especially with Fitz as potential QB for Sunday.

Bloom seems to be coming off Chiefs. Smith not looking nearly as good as he did first few weeks of season.

Broncos also lookingless intimidating than might have been expected. They can't even figure out which terrible QB to play. Just have to get some points on their very good D.

Can't argue about Panthers, Saints, and Pats though

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're 4-5 now.  We play:

5. At Saints (Crushing Loss) 5-9, if Petty/Hack hasn't been played yet (and they won't, Bowles being Bowles), they will after this game.

6. Chargers (Win), Jets rise under whomever kid QB plays, wins vs. meh Chargers team. 6-9

7. At Patriots (Loss), Jetss kid QB falls back to Earth, 3+ INT's, sad end to season, 6-10

I definitely don't think so.  My thought processes behind even starting the thread was realizing just how bad the AFC is.  Obviously, it's a huge long-shot.  I don't disagree with your week-to-week, except, I kind of think we can beat the Broncos and depends what Carolina team shows up.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're 4-5 now.  We play:

My turn. 

Bucs. Call it a win. Should be. 

Bye week.

Panthers. Win, Panthers are basically the Bills on offense. Apply the same gameplan. 

Chiefs. Close loss. Kelce dominates us. 

Broncos. Close win. D causes Lynch to turn ball over and make mistakes. 

Saints. Loss. We get destroyed. 

Chargers. Loss. Hang over from week before. 

Patriots. Win because they're resting players. 

We never see Hack or Petty.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

My turn. 

Bucs. Call it a win. Should be. 

Bye week.

Panthers. Win, Panthers are basically the Bills on offense. Apply the same gameplan. 

Chiefs. Close loss. Kelce dominates us. 

Broncos. Close win. D causes Lynch to turn ball over and make mistakes. 

Saints. Loss. We get destroyed. 

Chargers. Loss. Hang over from week before. 

Patriots. Win because they're resting players. 

We never see Hack or Petty.

if we see baker mayfield, it will be worth it.

1.@Tampa (W) - This team is in Bad Shape only 2nd to the Giants... Jets Role... 32  - 16

Bye Week

2. Panthers (W) Tight game ASJ has a career game... 17 - 13

3. Chiefs (L) Andy Reid is just better 24 -33

4. @Broncos (W) Disaster of a Team 15 - 9

5. @Saints (L) Peyton is just Better 45 - 22

6. Chargers (W) Chargers run all over the Jets in the first half to score 24 and get shut out the whole second half. 27 - 24 

7. @Patriots (W) Hoyer just can't get it done as a fill in while Brady is nursing his shoulder after his week 15 hit from Harrison... 

Finish 9-7 whhaaaaa..... 

I will gladly eat all the crow this board can serve up if the Jets go 9-7.  It would truly be stunning.

I would like to add that no matter what the Jets record ends up being and wherever the Jets end up picking, Mac needs to go balls out to draft a franchise QB in 2018. 

IF the jets can continue to play close to how they did against Bills, then:

@Bucs - W (5-5)

Car - W (6-5)

KC - L (6-6)

@Den - W (7-6)

@NO - L (7-7) 

LAC - W (8-7)

@NE - L (8-8) unless starters sit, quite possible ... then W, (9-7)

IF the team regresses, then it'll be more like 6-10.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

1. Steelers

2. Patriots

3. Chiefs

4. Titans

5. Jaguars

6. Bills

You keep saying AFC like the NFC is super deep or something. That conference is the same quagmire of mediocre the AFC is... I'd actually argue there are more legitimate Super Bowl contenders in the AFC.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sure is alot of folks declaring loudly and clearly that the 6-3 Panthers are a sure Jets win. 

Might want to reconsider that one mates.

I don't completely disagree with you but I don't think the Panthers are as good as their record states. They haven't been up against too many good defenses and have a penchant not to show up on offense (games with 9, 13, 3 17 points) and they just lost a good receiver to the Bills. Cam isn't playing like usual either. Any other year, I wouldn't give the Jets a shot but this year I think it's a 50/50 shot. 

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

I don't completely disagree with you but I don't think the Panthers are as good as their record states.

And the Jets are?  

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

They haven't been up against too many good defenses and have a penchant not to show up on offense (games with 9, 13, 3 17 points) and they just lost a good receiver to the Bills. Cam isn't playing like usual either. Any other year, I wouldn't give the Jets a shot but this year I think it's a 50/50 shot. 

Like I said, it's just funny.  Ten second ago we were (by most accounts here) an 0-16 talent-less team.

Now we're going to easily whip the 6-3 Cam Newton-led Panthers.

I think in both cases, it's a bit much.  We were never an 0-16 team.  And while beating Carolina is possible, it's not likely.

42 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You keep saying AFC like the NFC is super deep or something. That conference is the same quagmire of mediocre the AFC is... I'd actually argue there are more legitimate Super Bowl contenders in the AFC.

NFC has 5 teams with 6 wins, and 1 with 8.  AFC has 3 teams with 6 wins.  I'd call that meaningfully different.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

We're 4-5 now.  We play:

imo here are the "easy" wins: bucs, broncos, chargers.  that gets them to 7 wins. they realistically need two more from the chiefs, saints, panthers and patsies.  bellichicken may rest people in week 16 so that could be a win bringing them to 8.  as for the rest, pick the home team.   there's still way too much football left to make any predictions with certainty.  the best thing is for them to finish with no more than 6 wins if only to get a good draft position.  as long as they don't start mailing it in, the team will be fine going into next season.

Unfortunately, I don't see us getting to 8 wins. NFC is considerably better than AFC this year (3 of the 7 games remaining), and the only AFC teams that are worth their weight are the Steelers, Chiefs and pats* (2 of the 7 games remaining). Even if we grant a W for the bucs given their QB situation and Evans probably being suspended, the rest of the schedule is tough. I think we do the worst thing possible and get to 7 wins this year.

Bucs: Win
Panthers: Loss
Chiefs: Loss
Broncos: Loss
Saints: Win (I get that they're really good, but football is about matchups, and I think we matchup well with them)
Chargers: Win
pats*: Loss, but only because the refs will make sure of it

Archived