Mock Off Season

maury77

Jets mock off season

Current available cap space: $63,000,000

Cuts & Restructures:

Mo Wilkerson (restructure) – Is he dominant? No (he never really was). But at 9-10 million a year for the next 2 years, I can live with it. If we cut him, its just going to create another hole. Plus, he has been turning it around lately. 

Buster Skrine (cut) 
Ben Ijalana (cut)
Matt Forte (cut)
Devin Smith (cut)

Cap space available: $88,000,000.00

Extensions

Josh McCown – 6 million for 1 year

Kony Ealy - 7 million a year for 3 years

Quincy Enunwa – 8.5 million a year for multiple years

ASJ – 6.5 million a year for multiple years

Demario Davis – 5 million a year for 2 years

Cap space left: $45,000,000

Weston Richburg – 6.5 million (Keep the local guy in town. Still very young and talented)

Malcolm Butler – 10 million per year (Still young and a good way to weaken to Patriots at the same time)

A JAG CB that is going to cost 2-3 million per year (We will need another vet back there)

Cap space left – 28,500,000

Mock Draft

Jets are going to trade up from somewhere between the 10th to 12th pick in the first round (where I think they will end up) to number 2 (they swap with the 49ers)

Jets send

2018 1st Round Pick, 3rd Round Pick, 4th Round Pick

2019 1st Round Pick, 3rd Round Pick

Jets get

San Francisco 1st Round Pick (#2 overall) and 4th Round Pick (2019)

1st Round – Josh Rosen (QB) UCLA – There have been constant rumors about the Jets scouting UCLA games this year and I think this is Maccagnan’s guy. Macc goes big and gets his guy at the top of the draft. Jets franchise will revolve around Rosen and Jamal Adams for the next 10 years. 

2nd Round Pick – Martinas Rankin (OT) Mississipi State

2nd Round Pick (Seattle Pick) Rashaad Penny (RB) San Diego State University

It's early and I could live with this. A lot will change, but for now I'd be okay with it, but the 2nd rd 2 pick being a RB? that doesn't seem to be Mac's style.

MALCOM BUTLER. He is living off of 1 play, if anything he is your JAG JAG CB that is going to cost 2-3 million per year (We will need another vet back there)

28 minutes ago, Stark said:

It's early and I could live with this. A lot will change, but for now I'd be okay with it, but the 2nd rd 2 pick being a RB? that doesn't seem to be Mac's style.

MALCOM BUTLER. He is living off of 1 play, if anything he is your JAG JAG CB that is going to cost 2-3 million per year (We will need another vet back there)

I respectfully disagree about Butler, he has a PPF grade over 80

24 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I respectfully disagree about Butler, he has a PPF grade over 80

Butler is interesting.  The Pats were supposedly shopping him and he was benched in week 2 (Saints), behind Gilmore and Rowe, but he has played 100% of the defensive snaps in 4 of the next 6 weeks and hasn't played less than 96% since.  That probably relates to Gilmore's concussion and Rowe's groin,  A little easier to get snaps over Jonathan and Cyrus Jones.  Now that they move Garoppolo, they may franchise him. 

Interesting. I like us bringing back our own. I’d be ok with this.

Thoughts:

Is Richburg good? I know he was a big name around his drafting but idk how he has turned out.

Enunwa coming off neck injury isn’t coming near 8.5m, Imo

I don’t know if butler is worth it but I think he gets more than 10m per. “Name” CBs tend to break the bank.

I don’t know anything about the OT and the RB you draft. But id be disappointed if we didnt go for a pass rusher at all around the top of the draft. I don’t mind sticking with Beachum and Shell for the immediate future.

22 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Interesting. I like us bringing back our own. I’d be ok with this.

Thoughts:

Is Richburg good? I know he was a big name around his drafting but idk how he has turned out.

Enunwa coming off neck injury isn’t coming near 8.5m, Imo

I don’t know if butler is worth it but I think he gets more than 10m per. “Name” CBs tend to break the bank.

I don’t know anything about the OT and the RB you draft. But id be disappointed if we didnt go for a pass rusher at all around the top of the draft. I don’t mind sticking with Beachum and Shell for the immediate future.

Richburg was very good the last 2 years. This year he was OK before getting IRed. He would be a significant upgrade over Johnson, who has been terrible. Having solid center play would also help out Carpenter and Winters, who have struggled a bit this year. 

I had a hard time figuring out what to pay Enunwa. On one hand, you could get a deal because he is coming off an injury. On the other, you don't know how he is going to be coming back from the injury. What do you think we should sign him to?

I think we need to add legit talent to the edge, but Ealy and Jenkins are a decent pair. I don't think we are going to be able to plug all the holes in one off season. 

I can live with your offseason but the contracts you gave out have me hung up. There is no way I want to pay Ealy $7.5M per year for multiple years with Wilkerson on the roster. IMO I think he'll get some where in the 3 year $10-15M range. Hankins got 3 years $27M so I guess it's possible but I don't believe Kony is worthy of being the 12th highest paid 3-4 DE. With the amount of cap space we have I hope we don't lose him because I do like him for this defense.

I think giving Enunwa multiple years is a mistake, he needs to prove he can stay healthy. Pryor got $7M on a prove it deal after a good year with no injury. I think 1 year $6M should be more than enough for Enunwa.

If we can get ASJ for $6.5M per year we better be inking that right now. If he hits the open mark I see $8-10M per year as a fair price for him given his production. 

If we can get Butler for $10M per season we should absolutely do it.

I'd sign up for this offseason for sure!

+1 on the Enunwa stuff

I really like Enunwa, but the idea of giving him $8.5M per for multiple years coming off this season baffles me.  Pryor was a horse with horrible quarterbacking and he only got a 1 year deal.  There was more reason to think Pryor, converting from QB, is going to improve than Enunwa.  

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

+1 on the Enunwa stuff

I really like Enunwa, but the idea of giving him $8.5M per for multiple years coming off this season baffles me.  Pryor was a horse with horrible quarterbacking and he only got a 1 year deal.  There was more reason to think Pryor, converting from QB, is going to improve than Enunwa.  

Enunwa is going to need to prove he's healthy and then prove he's actually worth an extension, still haven't seen enough from him. 

Side note, if/when Enunwa returns, he should be in the slot...biggest matchup nightmare in the slot for opposing defenses.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I can live with your offseason but the contracts you gave out have me hung up. There is no way I want to pay Ealy $7.5M per year for multiple years with Wilkerson on the roster. IMO I think he'll get some where in the 3 year $10-15M range. Hankins got 3 years $27M so I guess it's possible but I don't believe Kony is worthy of being the 12th highest paid 3-4 DE. With the amount of cap space we have I hope we don't lose him because I do like him for this defense.

I think giving Enunwa multiple years is a mistake, he needs to prove he can stay healthy. Pryor got $7M on a prove it deal after a good year with no injury. I think 1 year $6M should be more than enough for Enunwa.

If we can get ASJ for $6.5M per year we better be inking that right now. If he hits the open mark I see $8-10M per year as a fair price for him given his production. 

If we can get Butler for $10M per season we should absolutely do it.

I'd sign up for this offseason for sure!

Ealy isn't a 3-4DE, he's an edge player. 

19 hours ago, maury77 said:

Jets mock off season
Current available cap space: $63,000,000
Cuts & Restructures:
Mo Wilkerson 
Buster Skrine (cut) 
Ben Ijalana (cut)
Matt Forte (cut)
Devin Smith (cut)
Cap space available: $88,000,000.00
Extensions
Josh McCown – 6 million for 1 year's
Kony Ealy - 7 million a year for 3 years
Quincy Enunwa – 8.5 million a year for multiple years
ASJ – 6.5 million a year for multiple year
Demario Davis – 5 million a year for 2 years
Cap space left: $45,000,000
Weston Richburg – 6.5 million (Keep the local guy in town. Still very young and talented)
Malcolm Butler – 10 million per year 
1st Round – Josh Rosen (QB) UCLA 

Trade Mo while you can - rebuild

Good cuts 

Ealy has played well but 21 mill over 3 years? To much. 

ASJ has played decent but is still a risk to sign for multiple years.

DD 10 mill over 2 years - finally playing like a football player. What the heck.

Richbeg - an injured center - no thanks

Enuewa - he’s got to prove he’s healthy before you open the checkbook. 

Butler - 10 mill a year? Are we that desperate? 

1st pick Rosen. Bad news -   Lot of teams will target this guy. Would cost us too much to climb up to #2 spot.  Good news - lot of good QB prospects in this upcoming draft.

McCown oh no not again ?

4 hours ago, BigO said:

Trade Mo while you can - rebuild

Good cuts 

Ealy has played well but 21 mill over 3 years? To much. 

ASJ has played decent but is still a risk to sign for multiple years.

DD 10 mill over 2 years - finally playing like a football player. What the heck.

Richbeg - an injured center - no thanks

Enuewa - he’s got to prove he’s healthy before you open the checkbook. 

Butler - 10 mill a year? Are we that desperate? 

1st pick Rosen. Bad news -   Lot of teams will target this guy. Would cost us too much to climb up to #2 spot.  Good news - lot of good QB prospects in this upcoming draft.

McCown oh no not again ?

Re Ealy, Enunwa & ASJ, they are young players that there is going to be a market for. It might be a little pricey, but I'd like to keep our own. 

Re Butler, if you look at what the CB was last year, I don't think 10 million is going to be too far off. 

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

+1 on the Enunwa stuff

16 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Enunwa is going to need to prove he's healthy and then prove he's actually worth an extension, still haven't seen enough from him. 

Side note, if/when Enunwa returns, he should be in the slot...biggest matchup nightmare in the slot for opposing defenses.

I like Q a lot, he was a nice surprise. I was bummed when he went out with the neck injury. Honestly, based on what the offense has been able to do to this point I don't think he is that valuable to us. I thought we would miss him more, but I just don't really see the need to resign him and not at 8 mil. Getting ASJ resigned (they should do it sooner than later IMO) to me is more important that Q. The receiving core to me is fine. Draft some more guys, and let Mac do his thing, I think he is pretty decent when it comes to getting WR's that fit this system. 

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Drafting Rosen is MUCH less stomach-churning than giving up all those picks to get him.

right, but if you want the top prospects and the team is picking 10-16 you don't really have a choice. 

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Re Ealy, Enunwa & ASJ, they are young players that there is going to be a market for. It might be a little pricey, but I'd like to keep our own. 

Re Butler, if you look at what the CB was last year, I don't think 10 million is going to be too far off. 

You’re talking about 3 players in Enuwa, ASJ and Ealy that come with red flags. If Enuwa clears physically next camp then by all means sign him long term. But the other 2, I’d be gun shy to invest long term into them, especially ASJ. And Butler is not worth 10 mill.  He’s a decent cb but that’s absurd to pay him that much. 

Archived