COY.. Coach of the Year,... Nickel Package : Should Todd Bowles be in the discussion for COY ? ? ?

kelly

Nickel Package: Should Todd Bowles be in the discussion for COY ?

Field Yates and Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith discuss whether or not Todd Bowles should be in discussion for the Coach of the Year award, given how the Jets have performed compared to expectations.

>    http://www.espn.com/espnradio/playPopup?id=21317339

This is even worse than I expected.  I fully excepted the talking heads that don't actually watch this team to line up to praise this guy if we won more than 3 games but it will go to a whole new level.

It is going to be such a terrible mistake when the Jets give the guy and extension in the off season. 

I posted the COY possibility in another thread to rave reviews.  Normally COY is given to a HC whose team has a very good record (of course they have a lot of talent also). If the criteria were solely preseason expectation vs actual results, Bowles would be in the running.

I think there is an inherent problem with giving the award to a coach of a sub-500 team.  Don't know why, but it just feels mediocre.

If he gets to 8-8, he should definitely be in the serious running for the award.

On another note, it would be disappointing if the OPOY and DPOY are both players picked after the Jets picked.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think there is an inherent problem with giving the award to a coach of a sub-500 team.  Don't know why, but it just feels mediocre.

If he gets to 8-8, he should definitely be in the serious running for the award.

On another note, it would be disappointing if the OPOY and DPOY are both players picked after the Jets picked.

just an fyi..

~ ~ Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year Award

Season Coach Team Record  

1990 Jimmy Johnson Dallas Cowboys 7–9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press_NFL_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Has anyone ever got that award and was fired the same season? Asking for a friend .

Well there was Marty Schottenheimer who was fired after a 14-2 season.

Joe Girardi might be interested in this discussion as well.

Oh and if this was actually a serious question....No.

Pederson (PHI) and McVay (LAR) have to be the top dogs right now.  Doubt anyone else has even a remote shot.  The Jets would have to finish with at least a 5-2 run to even put Bowles in the running IMO.  Good luck to him.

The Jets have won 4 bum fights, and right now are under .500 in a parity-wild NFL. What kind of drugs does one ingest to suggest this idiocy? 

What a complete load of crap. Bowles is a middling coach on his best day.

Should Rosie O'Donnell be in contention for the SI swimsuit cover? Should Betty White corner the green banana market?  Should Alec Baldwin enter a vow of silence monastery? 

45 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Bowles has as much chance of winning coach of the year as does Mohammed Wilkerson winning defensive player of the year.

Except no. His chances of COY dwarf Mo's chances of DPOY. 

Jets' expectations, based on the roster handed to the coach = 4 wins max

Mo's expectations, based on the massive contract awarded by our GM = pro bowl, if not first team all-pro (especially with Watt breaking his leg a month into the season).

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Jets have won 4 bum fights, and right now are under .500 in a parity-wild NFL. What kind of drugs does one ingest to suggest this idiocy? 

Should Rosie O'Donnell be in contention for the SI swimsuit cover? Should Betty White corner the green banana market?  Should Alec Baldwin enter a vow of silence monastery? 

+1

I should ban you for foisting upon this board the visual of Rosie O in a swimsuit, though, effing a-hole that you are.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If the Jets get to six wins, should they get the Super Bowl trophy? Next, on ESPN.

Steven A. Smith and Max Kellerman's next episode of "that show on at the gym because you can't change the channel that nobody really watches". 

35 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Bugg gets it.

McAvoy for the Rams is the COY and it's not close.  After him I would go with Marrone in Jacksonville, Pederson in Philly, and McDermott in Buffalo before Bowles would get a vote.

But Bowles getting some credit for a good job, maybe even a top 5 job, does not bother me in the least.  He's got a 38-year old QB and one of the worst supporting casts in the league, if not the worst, playing near .500 ball. 

50 minutes ago, Bugg said:

This thread is as asinine as the ‘can the Jets make the playoffs thread’. In his first year as head coach Bowles went 10-6. 10-6! Unreal. Yet we can all see that was the result of Fitz playing lights out and had squat to do with Bowles.  In fact, he cost us a playoff chance in the final game that year.  This team could easily go 4-12 this year and many would consider that a moral victory and extend Bowles contract.  “That’s the price of love. Can you feel it.”

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

McAvoy for the Rams is the COY and it's not close.  After him I would go with Marrone in Jacksonville, Pederson in Philly, and McDermott in Buffalo before Bowles would get a vote.

But Bowles getting some credit for a good job, maybe even a top 5 job, does not bother me in the least.  He's got a 38-year old QB and one of the worst supporting casts in the league, if not the worst, playing near .500 ball. 

You are too kind my friend?

4 minutes ago, BigO said:

You are too kind my friend?

Just ensuring the blame gets properly assigned.  Firing the HC alone will not fix our problems.  Vegas projected us to win 4 games, and we've already won 4 in early November.  So Bowles is doing something right. 

Archived