COY.. Coach of the Year,... Nickel Package : Should Todd Bowles be in the discussion for COY ? ? ?

kelly

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Has anyone ever got that award and was fired the same season? Asking for a friend .

Bowles could win the damn SB this year and I’d still fire his lame duck azz because he’d have nothing to do with it. Bowles couldn’t coach Electric Football. 

31 minutes ago, BigO said:

This thread is as asinine as the ‘can the Jets make the playoffs thread’. In his first year as head coach Bowles went 10-6. 10-6! Unreal. Yet we can all see that was the result of Fitz playing lights out and had squat to do with Bowles.  In fact, he cost us a playoff chance in the final game that year.  This team could easily go 4-12 this year and many would consider that a moral victory and extend Bowles contract.  “That’s the price of love. Can you feel it.”

This thread is pretty ridiculous and I'm a Bowles supporter but why does he not get any credit for squeezing a career year out of a journeyman QB in Fitz

I think the younger players, playing hard have saved his ass a bit this year. This roster has major holes, but isn't has bad as many thought, including myself. COY defiantly not, but the Jets have been very watchable this year. A few more pieces, and a QB and we will be rocking. 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

McAvoy for the Rams is the COY and it's not close.  After him I would go with Marrone in Jacksonville, Pederson in Philly, and McDermott in Buffalo before Bowles would get a vote.

But Bowles getting some credit for a good job, maybe even a top 5 job, does not bother me in the least.  He's got a 38-year old QB and one of the worst supporting casts in the league, if not the worst, playing near .500 ball. 

i'm good with 3 of your 4.  mcdermott won't get it because his team is terrible.  it was only a matter of time before buffalo started swooning.

5 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

This thread is pretty ridiculous and I'm a Bowles supporter but why does he not get any credit for squeezing a career year out of a journeyman QB in Fitz

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.  These are the QB's Bowles has been handed, yet we're a not completely awful 19-22 in his tenure, with an offense that has been at least respectable for 2/3 seasons.

The defensive struggles we've had despite a lot of draft capital invested are flaws in Bowles' resume for sure, but given how many "fire Bowles" threads there've been over the last 2 years, he hasn't really warranted that kind of treatment just yet.  

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think the younger players, playing hard have saved his ass a bit this year. This roster has major holes, but isn't has bad as many thought, including myself. COY defiantly not, but the Jets have been very watchable this year. A few more pieces, and a QB and we will be rocking. 

The key is that the development of the younger players that is what Woody said Bowles would be judged by this summer.

http://nypost.com/2017/11/07/todd-bowles-deserves-credit-for-big-coaching-upgrades/

Todd Bowles’ best coaching decision of the 2017 season may have come all the way back in January.

Bowles decided to retool his staff in Year 3, getting rid of six of his assistant coaches. The moves have paid huge dividends for the Jets, who are clearly a better-coached team this year than a year ago.

The biggest switch was at offensive coordinator going from Chan Gailey, who technically retired, to John Morton. This year’s offense has shown marked improvement under Morton, who showed a willingness to listen to his players last week by running more.

New quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates has Josh McCown playing at a career-best level. Running backs coach Stump Mitchell has a three-headed monster in the backfield. 

On defense, secondary coach Dennard Wilson has overseen the development of rookie safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye and installed a new attitude on the back end of the defense.

Up front, new defensive line coach Robert Nunn and outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene saw their groups get off to slow starts, but they have improved lately.

Bowles deserves kudos for recognizing the shortcomings of last year’s staff and finding the right people to come in this season.

In discussion for but not to win. The Jets success this year comes down to 3 elements.

1. The players are giving full max effort every game - credit to Bowles and Macc.

2. The young players are flashing talent- credit to Macc and Bowles.

3. This season has been the most parity filled season in the NFL that maybe we have ever seen. Anybody can beat anybody, no more so than in this season 

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg.  These are the QB's Bowles has been handed, yet we're a not completely awful 19-22 in his tenure, with an offense that has been at least respectable for 2/3 seasons.

The defensive struggles we've had despite a lot of draft capital invested are flaws in Bowles' resume for sure, but given how many "fire Bowles" threads there've been over the last 2 years, he hasn't really warranted that kind of treatment just yet.  

Fitz was lights out in his first year and Bowles was horrific as a game manager and clueless with making adjustments.  He single handedly ruined our playoff chance with that terrible loss to the Bills. He’s a lousy head coach. Both Mac and Cheese will be gone in a few years so it’s all just a cabaret my friends. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

Fitz was lights out in his first year and Bowles was horrific as a game manager and clueless with making adjustments.  He single handedly ruined our playoff chance with that terrible loss to the Bills. He’s a lousy head coach. Both Mac and Cheese will be gone in a few years so it’s all just a cabaret my friends. 

Fitz was not "lights out" in his first year..  he heaved the ball up and was bailed out countless times by Marshall and Decker.  He used smoke, mirrors, and a rubix cube in fooling a gullible segment of Jet fans into believing he was a good QB.  He was what's he's always been..  Trash.  

McCown in 17' is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Fitz in 15'.  

55 minutes ago, Pac said:

Fitz was not "lights out" in his first year..  he heaved the ball up and was bailed out countless times by Marshall and Decker.  He used smoke, mirrors, and a rubix cube in fooling a gullible segment of Jet fans into believing he was a good QB.  He was what's he's always been..  Trash.  

McCown in 17' is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Fitz in 15'.  

I actually agree that McCown is better this year than Fitzpatrick was in 2015.  Fitz had an efficient year because he ran for a lot of first downs when he didn't feel confident in making throws.  McCown has been the better pocket passer. 

And he's been doing it with Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse and Jeremy Kerley rather than guys who have been WR1's in the league before, like Fitzpatrick had.

This year has also been a more impressive year out of Bowles than his 1st season.  Which is to be expected; one would hope a coach shows improvement over time. 

2 hours ago, Pac said:

McCown in 17' is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  Fitz in 15'.  

PAC you wack

We've won in spite of him, not because of him. His terrible time management alone should be enough to fire him. Absolutely unacceptable at the NFL level. You should not be an NFL head coach if you consistently waste two timeouts in the first ten minutes of each half. Kinda like that one week where Deshaun Watson called a timeout WAY too late and lost because of it. Absolutely unacceptable for an NFL QB to have that low of a football IQ.

8 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

We've won in spite of him, not because of him. His terrible time management alone should be enough to fire him. Absolutely unacceptable at the NFL level. You should not be an NFL head coach if you consistently waste two timeouts in the first ten minutes of each half. Kinda like that one week where Deshaun Watson called a timeout WAY too late and lost because of it. Absolutely unacceptable for an NFL QB to have that low of a football IQ.

TBH most NFL coaches suck at time management. College coaches too. 

I do know he is the best football coach in the state of New York, for whatever little that means

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

TBH most NFL coaches suck at time management. College coaches too. 

I do know he is the best football coach in the state of New York, for whatever little that means

giphy.gif

..uggghh :huh:

Archived