2018 NFL Mock Draft: By Albert Breer

RESNewYork

6. New York Jets: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
Will drafting a guard high go over well in New York? If the Jets find a quarterback before the draft, I wouldn’t worry about that. Nelson has a chance to be in the same class as Irish alum/Cowboys All-Pro Zack Martin.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/07/mock-draft-2018-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-saquon-barkley?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

I am a L Jackson fan but he's not even going in the 1st here.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell, the Jets will pick either Baker Mayfield,Josh Allen or Mason Rudolph. 

I think Mason and Mayfield are going late first earliest and most likely second. Josh Allen will be gone before we pick.

Although, I think it was you that was begging us to draft Watson and I disagreed vehemently. So really, what do I really know about this. 

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think Mason and Mayfield are going late first earliest and most likely second. Josh Allen will be gone before we pick.

Although, I think it was you that was begging us to draft Watson and I disagreed vehemently. So really, what do I really know about this. 

Exactly :D  My choice is a QB no ifs ands or buts.........Im ok with Mayfield,Allen or Rudolph......

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't think Mason is going in round 1 or 2... Josh doesn't deserve to either, but history shows GMs will ignore mountains of tape because of "look at that kid"... 

Wow, no.

Look, a Left Tackle at 6?  Sure.   It's not glamorous, but it is a premier position, and we need a real LT.   A freaking Guard?  No.   3 times they've drafted in the top 10 with Macc.   That would be 3 times with no play on offense, no QB, and no one to truly rush the passer.  

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't think Mason is going in round 1 or 2... Josh doesn't deserve to either, but history shows GMs will ignore mountains of tape because of "look at that kid"... 

Damn you think 'ol boy is gonna drop to 3rd or 4th? I had a lot of hope for him this year. I knew going in he wasn't going to show NFL window completions, nor was he going to develop a cannon arm. But I did want to some more zip on his throws. Too many soft flutter passes.

You're right in your eval. He's Petty...round 4 talent. But I think someone will over draft him round 2.

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell, the Jets will pick either Baker Mayfield,Josh Allen or Mason Rudolph. 

Completely agree. Drafting a QB, no matter what.  Whichever the best one on the board is when the Jets pick is who they're gonna get.  There's no wiggle room for Mac any more at the QB position.  Mybe he'll surprise us and trade up to get one. 

Hahahahahaha

Well, let's see what other low-priced FA positions, or positions already filled by multiple guys in their 20s, that we can draft in round 1. Hm... a GUARD!!

Guess it's a toss up among guard, center, TE, and RT. With the 6th pick in the country.

Or if Payne measures in at 6'3" and crushes his drills-in-shorts at the combine, or Wilkins climbs his way up higher with a 4.8 40, we do love us some 290-310 pound DE-DT prospects.

4 QBs, 6 edge rushers, 3 corners, and 3 WRs predicted to go in this round 1 mock, so of course SI's mocking us (in more ways than one) taking a guard. It's like on draft day we're expected to be @Charlie Brown on Halloween: "I got a rock."

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets cant sit back and see what everybody else does, when we are on the clock we need to grab the best QB available. 

Plug and play, no more Hackenberg bullsh*t it has set this franchise further back making selections like that. 

Im all for betting the house on Darnold or Rosen, and filling holes with fa $ on short terms deals, until we start getting 1st round picks back.

If theres'  one area FA $$$ can be spent with moderate to good results, its investing in the OLINE. 

Every year you see a smatter of high caliber TACKLES, GUARDS & CENTERS... that's the one area we can do some damage at in Free Agency.. as opposed to Pass Rushers, WRs etc where mileage may vary is a serious disclaimer. 

Mason Rudolph is dropping down draft boards faster than the 3 days worth of backed up, protein packed, sh*t I took this morning.

Baker Mayfield is very much in play.  Do not rule out a trade up.  It is absolutely on the table.  

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

No Lamar Jackson fans? This Breer guy doesn't have him in the 1st round. How crazy am I to hope that's the pick in 1 for us? FYI I have zero QB evaluation skills. I just see a player who produces a ton of offense 

Wish him well in the NFL on another team. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Mason Rudolph is dropping down draft boards faster than the 3 days worth of backed up, protein packed, sh*t I took this morning.

Baker Mayfield is very much in play.  Do not rule out a trade up.  It is absolutely on the table.  

Spoiler alert? :o

Just now, T0mShane said:

WalterFootball has us taking a DT, so at least these football media guys are paying attention to the history. Though, I’ll be pumped to read some great posts about how OG and DT are vital building blocks.

QB is the pick bet the double-wide on it. 

3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

No Lamar Jackson fans? This Breer guy doesn't have him in the 1st round. How crazy am I to hope that's the pick in 1 for us? FYI I have zero QB evaluation skills. I just see a player who produces a ton of offense 

I wouldn’t wish this coach and team on a talent like Lamar Jackson. Let him go somewhere that will let him play football.

Mahomes and Watson were not generally projected to get picked that high.  Teams reach for QBs.  

G is probably the Jets most stable position.  If they think the QB is too big of a reach for them, you take the T, not a G.  Those are 2 picks down-no biggie.  Breer is clearly "mocking" Mac by having the Jets take a guard there.

And just like Landon Collins and Keanu Neal were not Sixth Picks, neither was Zach Martin.

If this is really how experts see the draft taking shape, the Jets should be trading down.

My one caveat is that I believe the Jets want to run a WCO, somewhat mobile QB team.  Some of the QBs may not be a fit for it.  Mayfield is...going to the Saints in the late 20s.  Trade down to the 10s and take him.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

My one caveat is that I believe the Jets want to run a WCO, somewhat mobile QB team.  Some of the QBs may not be a fit for it.  Mayfield is...going to the Saints in the late 20s.  Trade down to the 10s and take him.

The Jets will pick before the Saints. 

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hahahahahaha

Well, let's see what other low-priced FA positions, or positions already filled by multiple guys in their 20s, that we can draft in round 1. Hm... a GUARD!!

Guess it's a toss up among guard, center, TE, and RT. With the 6th pick in the country.

Or if Payne measures in at 6'3" and crushes his drills-in-shorts at the combine, or Wilkins climbs his way up higher with a 4.8 40, we do love us some 290-310 pound DE-DT prospects.

4 QBs, 6 edge rushers, 3 corners, and 3 WRs predicted to go in this round 1 mock, so of course SI's mocking us (in more ways than one) taking a guard. It's like on draft day we're expected to be @Charlie Brown on Halloween: "I got a rock."

A guard with Mayfield and Allen still on the board would be like taking a safety with Mahomes and Watson still on the....oh, yeah, they did that

Most teams are taking college tackles, bigger guys, and making them guards anyway. As running becomes less important guards who can pull are becoming very rare in the NFL. 

33 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Completely agree. Drafting a QB, no matter what.  Whichever the best one on the board is when the Jets pick is who they're gonna get.  There's no wiggle room for Mac any more at the QB position.  Mybe he'll surprise us and trade up to get one. 

I think Mac is refining is Draft Model and coming up with an acceptable allowance to take a QB if he is not the highest graded player on his board.  I think it could be like 5.  If they Jets are picking at 6 and a QB who fits is not at least 11, he ain't taking a QB.

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

QBs will drop as college defenses figure out how to play them.  They will go up based on Bowl Games and off season workouts.  The only thing we know is that the QBs will go higher than we think they do.  Remember debating right before the draft whether the Jets would take Trubisky at 6?  The answer was yes they would have, but it was irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets will pick before the Saints. 

Yes.  See first point.   if Mayfield is graded in the 20s, that is too big of a drop for Macc.  Mayfield's size will cause him to be a great value pick for someone.

The Jets should trade down.  Much less pressure.

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

If they pick a guard then I think Macc should be dragged off and never seen again! - Also Rosen is going 1# and Darnold does not come out. I'd take Baker Mayfield. To many teams need QB's.

My order of choice Mayfield top choice or Allen,Rudoplh tie..

I would be happy with Nelson in the 2nd round.  If we picked an Fing guard at 6 I would go ballistic.

About the only position we have on offense that seems okay is friggin guard.  The is as bad of a projection as you could get and would be epically idiotic.

Archived