2018 NFL Mock Draft: By Albert Breer

RESNewYork

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

History really means sh*t in this case. Whoever is the highest ranked player will be taken. Guards are not usually ranked that high so who knows. I don’t think they aren’t taking a guard

OMG Corner drafted again, because of BAP. Even an average QB is better than any Corner. The importance to the game should be taken into count when drafting.

The pick should be Baker Mayfield. The wet dream of Rosen and Darnold is gone. Even if we draft another Revis, the average QB taken by the other team just throws  at Buster Skrine on the other side of the field.

QB's are like a top pitcher in baseball, they win you the game, not the All World Short Stop.

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

OMG Corner drafted again, because of BAP. Even an average QB is better than any Corner. The importance to the game should be taken into count when drafting.

The pick should be Baker Mayfield. The wet dream of Rosen and Darnold is gone. Even if we draft another Revis, the average QB taken by the other team just throws  at Buster Skrine on the other side of the field.

QB's are like a top pitcher in baseball, they win you the game, not the All World Short Stop.

It will come down to what he does in FA. He does need to draft a QB. Where he does it will depend on what he does on FA.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's way to high a pick to draft a guard unless he is an elite player. I'd be fine with a tackle in that spot. Not a guard.

Usually guards are not ranked high. The last guard that I remember ranked that highly was the kid out of Alabama that was taken by Tennessee at 10

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Usually guards are not ranked high. The last guard that I remember ranked that highly was the kid out of Alabama that was taken by Tennessee at 10

Chance Wormack.  Supposedly one of the best guards ever to get drafted.  I don't think he is terrible, but he did not end up as expected.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Chance Warmack. And he flopped. Generally speaking, you can find quality guards in the middle rounds of the draft, converted tackles, etc. If the guy is the next Zach Martin than I have no problem with the Jets taking him at that spot. But if you take him you better be right on him. He better be really good.

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Chance Wormack.  Supposedly one of the best guards ever to get drafted.  I don't think he is terrible, but he did not end up as expected.

Who was selected after Jonathan Cooper who was a higher rated prospect and went 7th to the Cards.  Cooper was also a bust.  Was injured a ton and traded with a 2nd rounder for Chandler Jones, then cut by the Pats last year.  He was picked up by the Browns who played him a bit and then cut him and eventually ended up on the Cowboys.  I think he starts at LG now that Collins kicked back outside, but I don't think they like him that much.   

If we pick an offensive lineman that high I want to swing for an LT.  Then if he busts we can kick him inside. Not a fan of starting with a guy with short arms to begin with.  OTOH, Brandon Albert was a college G...  

19 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

6. New York Jets: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
Will drafting a guard high go over well in New York? If the Jets find a quarterback before the draft, I wouldn’t worry about that. Nelson has a chance to be in the same class as Irish alum/Cowboys All-Pro Zack Martin.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/07/mock-draft-2018-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-saquon-barkley?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

I am a L Jackson fan but he's not even going in the 1st here.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

My tummy is getting queasy over the baker mayfiled love once again.

I understand.

But knowing what we know now:  

1. We will not be 0-16.  We will likely be 6-10, and picking 8-15 or so.

2. Darnold and Allen and Rosen are all likely to go early (Picks 1-5).

3. We cannot continue to tread water at QB with never-was JAG veterans.

4. Signing the various Kirk Cousins of the league is a massive, cap-killing, 5-7 year investment with no room for error.

Knowing this, I am 100% comfortable drafting Baker Mayfield somewhere in picks 8-15.

While the "measurables" folks will do what they did with Watson, and folks who like other prospect will argue their guy is better (Rudolf, Falk, et al.), Baker Mayfield is a elite producer and winner at the college level.  Unlike some (Darnold) Mayfield has actually done and produced the things that should build hype.  He has a resume.  

Is it risky?  Yes.  Always is.

Which is why I retain our O-Co Morton (I think he's done very well).  It's why i draft the two best O-lineman I possibly can to start rebuilding a weakened unit post Mangold/DBrick.  And I get a new RB to pair with Powell and McGuire to ensure we have a solid stable of productive backs to support the young QB.  I believe WR and TE are in good shape, dumping Kerley and promoting our own draft picks up:  Kearse/Enunwa/Robinson/Stewart/Hanson + Safarian/Thomlinson/Legget (hopefully).

Retain Hack one more year (since he's still very young and very cheap) and keep Petty to start early in 2018 while Mayfield learns the ropes and gets up to speed.

Three young QB's, giving us three chances to find one who will develop into a Franchise QB.  

I would sign up for this, and its both reasonable and realistic.

Let me put it this way, i think mayfield is a WAY better prospect than petty or hack, I just like a number of other QBs much better and I am very wary of a few things re mayfield, the size, the throwing off the back foot (just like sanchez), playing in a conference that plays ZERO defense.  I want to see oklahoma make the playoff and see how he does vs some stouter defenses.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Let me put it this way, i think mayfield is a WAY better prospect than petty or hack, I just like a number of other QBs much better and I am very wary of a few things re mayfield, the size, the throwing off the back foot (just like sanchez), playing in a conference that plays ZERO defense.  I want to see oklahoma make the playoff and see how he does vs some stouter defenses.

That's fair.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

why? You dislike him that heavily? That seems out of line, vs a guy like Allen who's done enough to earn the ire. 

No, I don;t hate him but he is getting way more love than other guys i like and I do not think he is going to be special.  As i said in my previous post some things about him are just unsettling.  Everyone and their dog has jumped on his bandwagon.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, I don;t hate him but he is getting way more love than other guys i like and I do not think he is going to be special.  As i said in my previous post some things about him are just unsettling.  Everyone and their dog has jumped on his bandwagon.

Good.  Let everyone else drool all over Mayfield while a better qb falls to us

If we selected a fcking guard, with Lamar Jackson on the board, i'd quit. That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen... I don't care if he's got a 5 year expiry date or may never develop past Vick, it's a damn joke to pass on a player who can play immediately at QB for freaking guard

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

If we selected a fcking guard, with Lamar Jackson on the board, i'd quit. That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen... I don't care if he's got a 5 year expiry date or may never develop past Vick, it's a damn joke to pass on a player who can play immediately at QB for freaking guard

Relax we’re not drafting a guard over Lamar Jackson we are drafting a CB

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ture, but that's because he's earned it... I didn't have him on my radar at all to start the year, but week after week, throw after throw - he won me over. The hype's legit. I wouldnt rank him over some of the other QBs, but he's earned the rnd 1 talk IMO

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m hoping Allen or Jackson fall to us at 11 or 12 but Macc will pass on them for a CB

I'm seriously blown away you, and others still think Josh Allen is going in round 1, let alone top 10... this whole thing reeks of Hackenberg 2.0... it's like, everyone's gut is telling you it's a mirage and it won't work -- yet some poor bastard (fck me if it's the Jets again) are going to blink and turn the card in with this name

I'm sure as i was about Hackenberg being a bust, as I am about Allen... yes, i know i've occasionally fallen in love with mirage-prospects myself, but that said, almost never have i been certain a QB will bust, only to be totally wrong. This would be a first of this magnitude 

Put him on that awful USC team and see how he does.  I hate to sound Hackenburg like conspiratorial but USC has no oline, few weapons and an awful defense.  Oklahoma has been an upward trending team.

Oh yeah i have no issue with him getting round 1 talk but I'l still not super sold.

The Lamar Jackson hype is way off base. The guy is not an accurate passer and he will get killed in the NFL running as often as he does. I would do whatever it takes to trade up for Darnold or Rosen. 

Honestly I would almost be relieved to give up 3 first rounders for one of the top two QBs. We would finally have the most important position in sports locked up for awhile and wouldn't have to deal with the team overdrafting guys at non impact positions.

To me its Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield in that order and I really think we have to do whatever it takes to land one of the frst two. 

27 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've settled on the following ranking

Darnold (mild edge for being more cerebral IMO)

Rosen (flawless mechanics and footwork, underrated passer)

Mayfield

Jackson

Falk

Agree, I just flip Rosen and Darnold for my rankings. 

55 minutes ago, Paradis said:

....yes, i know i've occasionally fallen in love with mirage-prospects myself, but that said, almost never have i been certain a QB will bust, only to be totally wrong. This would be a first of this magnitude 

Happens to the best of us.  Patrick Ramsey says "hi!".

Who knows, maybe my preference for Mayfield (over Darnold and the other lower-than-#1-overall prospects) is a mirage too.  

And maybe my certainty that Darnold is all-hype and potential with little real substance will be proven wrong too.

The 2018 draft will either make me a fool and a genius, but end of the day doesn't matter what we think, only matters what Macc thinks.

On 11/7/2017 at 3:42 PM, RESNewYork said:

6. New York Jets: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
Will drafting a guard high go over well in New York? If the Jets find a quarterback before the draft, I wouldn’t worry about that. Nelson has a chance to be in the same class as Irish alum/Cowboys All-Pro Zack Martin.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/07/mock-draft-2018-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-saquon-barkley?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

I am a L Jackson fan but he's not even going in the 1st here.

LOL, we don't pick offense in the first round.

On 11/7/2017 at 4:15 PM, T0mShane said:

WalterFootball has us taking a DT, so at least these football media guys are paying attention to the history. Though, I’ll be pumped to read some great posts about how OG and DT are vital building blocks.

Macc: I can't resign Snacks Harrison, it's just not worth it.

WalterFootball Macc: I totally need to draft a DT at #6 when I need a QB in a QB laden draft. It's totally worth it.

Archived