Report: Giants Closely Eyeing Darnold, Rosen

dbatesman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What are the chances we take a defensive player in the 1st and the Giants get their QB for the next decade-plus? 100%? 110%? 150%?

Considering the Giants will be picking top 3 and Jets will be picking outside top 15. I'd say pretty good.

So basically the owner gave the FO permission to lose every game from then on.  

So tanking is ok for the Giants but the Jets have to win every possible game.  

So in 2018 the Jets could resign McCown to another 1 year band aid contract and the Giants will solve their QB issues for the next 12 years.  

I hate the NFL.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do you and other think this way?

I think it because there is a higher probability of that scenario (Giants getting Rosen or Darnold) panning out than the alternative (us finding a franchise quarterback).

Who knows it may not happen. I never said it was set in stone, and even if it does happen, maybe Rosen or Darnold flop and are busts. 

All I'm saying is that theres a good chance of that scenario playing out, and it frustrates me that or stadium roomates might go from franchise QB to franchise QB without skipping a beat, while our search party is over 40 years running.

I never said the sky is falling. But I see some big ass shadows approaching. 

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think it because there is a higher probability of that scenario (Giants getting Rosen or Darnold) panning out than the alternative (us finding a franchise quarterback).

Who knows it may not happen. I never said it was set in stone, and even if it does happen, maybe Rosen or Darnold flop and are busts. 

All I'm saying is that theres a good chance of that scenario playing out, and it frustrates me that or stadium roomates might go from franchise QB to franchise QB without skipping a beat, while our search party is over 40 years running.

I never said the sky is falling. But I see some big ass shadows approaching. 

Skipping a beat? 1-7 I think would qualify

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

This is really so unfair.  Like you get super bowls every few years and then you just a new franchise QB every decade.

this hamster wheel of mediocrity/limbo, absolute torture

The Colts lucked into two franchise QB's.  It's stupid to cry over the fortunes of other franchises.  They got lucky at the roulette table multiple times.  It happens.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

The Colts lucked into two franchise QB's.  It's stupid to cry over the fortunes of other franchises.  They got lucky at the roulette table multiple times.  It happens.

Even more so, how many Super Bowls did they get with those two “franchise” QBs?

One. Same number we did

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

This is really so unfair.  Like you get super bowls every few years and then you just a new franchise QB every decade.

this hamster wheel of mediocrity/limbo, absolute torture

1) any jet gm can trade up to get a qb.  as the eagles and rams have shown, it does not matter what you give up if you get it right

2) there are plenty of qbs taken outside the top 10 who turn out fine.  

3) if mccagnan is worth his salt as a scout, he figures out how to get a good qb in the 2018 draft, somehow.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

1) any jet gm can trade up to get a qb.  as the eagles and rams have shown, it does not matter what you give up if you get it right

2) there are plenty of qbs taken outside the top 10 who turn out fine.  

3) if mccagnan is worth his salt as a scout, he figures out how to get a good qb in the 2018 draft, somehow.  

I agree

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

So basically the owner gave the FO permission to lose every game from then on.  

So tanking is ok for the Giants but the Jets have to win every possible game.  

So in 2018 the Jets could resign McCown to another 1 year band aid contract and the Giants will solve their QB issues for the next 12 years.  

I hate the NFL.

This is completely true.

The Jets did not have the stomach, smarts and guts to tank this year.  

They obviously did not tell Macc and Bowles to tank the season.  They made them cut Harris and Decker, but Macc claimed other cheaper players that were not claimed by other teams, because those other teams were either tanking or building for their futures.

The Johnsons could have and should have told MaccBowles to play the players that would be with the team in 2018, not to claim anyone unless they could extend them and to get a long-term QB.  But now we are on our way to a 6-8 win season, and will miss out on Darnold or Rosen.

But I have to say, I think the team that takes Rosen is playing with fire, and Darnold may not come out.  So maybe the Jets should just win as many games as they can and justifiably pick Mayfield.  

But all that being said, I am not happy that the Jets passed up Lattimore and White for Adams-could have set up CB position for a long time, while still getting a S later.

Just now, Beerfish said:

If you think baker mayfield or whoever your fav is lamar? and you have the 1st pick you take him.

odds are the jets do not make the playoffs and have a pick around #15.  they will still be in prime position to draft a qb there or move up if they want.  

the biggest roadblock to this happening is the gm himself, he probably won't use 'draft capital' to move up in the first round, and there's no evidence that 1) he even privately acknowledges that petty and hack just suck, and 2) he is against the idea of bringing back mccown as the 2018 starter and using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a qb and starting this fruitless process all over again.  these are the issues, not where the jets draft.  KC and houston figured out how to get qbs last year, the jets certainly can with 2 2nd rounders.  

7 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

One thing needs to be clear, having a franchise QB does not guarantee a SB appearance or victory. It makes it easier, but it doesn’t guarantee it.

How about not knowing your team will suck every season? That’s a good start. Stop telling us SB win stats as if that’s the tell all. 

16 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Even more so, how many Super Bowls did they get with those two “franchise” QBs?

One. Same number we did

Heres something else: the Jets win percenatge in the super bowl is a perfect 1.000, the Colts? a pathetic .500. You could make a good argument that the Jets are actually the better franchise overall

18 hours ago, Pennington said:

Yes that is true but we don't exactly have a genius running things. Why should anyone believe that the guy that picked Hackenberg has any clue what a franchise QB looks like. At least if we were picking 1st or 2nd we would be picking the consensus top guy which has a better chance of success than whoever Maccagnan deems to be that guy.

Macc is a disaster.  This 7-9 season is the worst thing to happen in the long run

Archived