Kapernick: a way out

Bugg

Packers and Texans are doughnut teams; very good with big holes at QB. One or the other need to sign him, as long as he makes the point of acknowledging his protest(inane as I think it is)has made it's point and it's time to move on.Win for him, win for the NFL, nonsense ends. If Goodell had an ounce of common sense it's done this afternoon.  Both of these teams can advance in the playoffs with him but neither is doing anything without him. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Packers and Texans are doughnut teams; very good with big holes at QB. One or the other need to sign him, as long as he makes the point of acknowledging his protest(inane as I think it is)has made it's point and it's time to move on.Win for him, win for the NFL, nonsense ends. If Goodell had an ounce of common sense it's done this afternoon.  Both of these teams can advance in the playoffs with him but neither is doing anything without him. 

First off, there is ZERO chance Kap would ever say that he thinks the protest has made it's point. That would render him a sellout.

Second, what makes you think that Kap saying it's over would mean every other NFL player would stop protesting? He doesn't speak for all of them. He could say it's over and guys could still protest.  

I really wish Kaepernick would just go away. Nobody wants him anymore. This happens to QB's at times. RGIII doesn't have a job, Tim Tebow disappeared, Cutler was retired until Tannehill got hurt. Hell, our own Josh McCown was out of the league for a short while.

This guy opted out of his contract and now is crying over the fact that nobody wants to sign him. Nobody has to sign him. He's not guaranteed a job in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This guy opted out of his contract and now is crying over the fact that nobody wants to sign him. Nobody has to sign him. He's not guaranteed a job in the NFL.

The owners colluded against him.

He's not guaranteed a job but he is guaranteed a chance to make his professional livelihood free of collusion. It's in the CBA that everyone signed. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

He's not guaranteed a job but he is guaranteed a chance to make his professional livelihood free of collusion. It's in the CBA that everyone signed. 

His side still needs to prove collusion. It's one thing to claim it, another to actually prove it.

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If an owner feels like signing a player will hurt his bottom line or thinks a player is a distraction in the locker room there shouldn't be any reason for them to sign him. I admire that Kaep knelt for what he believed in and backed it up financially but you have to deal with the repercussions of your actions as well. Now if there is some crazy email chain or phone call that has NFL owners saying "don't sign Kaep because we don't like his political view" than yea he would have a case but I don't think something like that will turn up. 

All that being said he has the skill to at least be a back up but if you told me I could pay someone money to have them make me lose money I think I'd laugh and walk away.

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Do you honestly believe there wasn't collusion? or are you just playing devils advocate 

I don't know for sure that there was. Was there collusion against Tim Tebow or just a consensus opinion that if he isn't good enough to start he doesn't need to be on the team. He's to much of a distraction for someone who just sits on the sideline all season. Kaepernick falls into this category for me. If I were an owner I would want no part of him and I wouldn't need convincing from anyone else.

Now if there was collusion, than by all means he has a fair gripe. But I think teams just didn't like him as a starter and didn't want to deal with the drama that comes with a guy who is a backup.

55 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

His side still needs to prove collusion. It's one thing to claim it, another to actually prove it.

NFL Lawyers: They have no basis for their claim.

Kaep’s Lawyer: Your honor, we’d like to submit into evidence Josh Johnson. 

NFL Lawyers: Can we talk settlement?

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm not exactly sure what that means. What does Josh Johnson have to do with Kaepernick?

If it's about talent level that is meaningless. Talent is subjective. If Kaepernick's lawyers plan on arguing that he is better than certain players they don't have a case and are wasting their time. That doesn't prove collusion.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You know what actually goes with a players talent? His attitude and his views. 

Nobody, and no team is forced to hire someone that they do not feel fits in their culture. Just the way it is. 

I believe his lawyers are getting access to e-mail/phone records from the Cowboys and Seahawks, and potentially other teams.  What those say will be telling one way or the other.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

You know what actually goes with a players talent? His attitude and his views. 

Nobody, and no team is forced to hire someone that they do not feel fits in their culture. Just the way it is. 

Sports GM's, more than any other profession, talk to each other about players and tend to be pretty truthful.  They do this because they know there's a lot of turnover in front office positions, so they're all kind of in it together.  One day you might need to ask the other GM on the phone for a job with their org. 

So while no team is "forced" to sign someone, teams absolutely can be telling other teams not to sign guys for a multitude of reasons.  If teams are basically telling each other "This guy is good enough to be a backup but you shouldn't sign him because of his stance on social issues and its bad for the league and our ratings" that would be a problem, and not a simple matter of a GM making a decision based on his team's "culture".   Obviously, a GM could sign a guy no matter what other GM's are saying, but if everyone is saying the same thing and encouraging each other not to sign him, that's very clearly collusion. 

Not saying it's what's going on for sure, but we have to recognize that the NFL is uniquely different from most professions.  They're 32 franchises, but they share revenue streams and depend on each other.  So the potential for collusion is always there. 

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Do you honestly believe there wasn't collusion? or are you just playing devils advocate 

So you think all the owners got together and said, hey, lets nobody sign this guy?

It seems much more logical to me that each individual owner is making their own decision, and it includes football and non football related issues.

Seems hard to believe they all would get together and do that.

35 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If it were this simple, Terrell Owner and Chad Ocho Cinco would have raked the NFL owners over the coals financially.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with buggs premise but goodell can do nothing here.  Kaep is toxic no matter what.  At best you will have a 50/50 fansplit and even then he would have to play great.  If he did not play great things would get ugly.

So because he stands up, or rather kneels down,to bring notice to a social dilemma in this country, he’s toxic. Sounds like a convulted country that condones unnecessary force against its citizens. That is of course if blacks are considered citizens ?

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

So because he stands up, or rather kneels down,to bring notice to a social dilemma in this country, he’s toxic. Sounds like a convulted country that condones unnecessary force against its citizens. That is of course if blacks are considered citizens ?

70 % of the league are African Americans, and outside of military and several other professions, they put their brains and bodies on the line more than anybody else.  Sure, they get compensated well for it, but less than the MLB and NBA, and without guaranteed contracts. 

Yet the moment they decide to use their platform to talk about something bigger than sports, you've got Jerry Jones freaking out, and the Texans owner saying that the "prisoners can't run the asylum". 

The fact that common fans support the owners on this is baffling.  Everyone was up in arms about concussions, but on this issue?  "STFU and play" is the response. 

I saw McCarthy a few weeks ago when Rodgers went down at a presser when asked about it get really pissed off at the reporter and basically said NO WAY. I don't know how deeply the NFL owners want to go on this. There is a lawsuit filed by Kap and his lawyer Mark Garregos and they are looking for documents, records. And testimony. And actively going after about ten owners to prove they conspired to keep Kap out of the league. So do they really want their personal and professional lives scrutinized like this just to keep one guy they don't like out of the NFL. You'd think the logical thing to do would be to allow him to sign with somebody. 

it's much more than just the protest.

-he's a mediocre QB not worth the circus around him

-he praised Fidel Castro

-he didn't vote

-wore cops as pigs socks

-called cops modern day slave catchers

-had his girlfriend tweet out photo of Ray Lewis and Ravens owner photoshopped as slave master and slave

-donated to cop killer charity

every player that protested besides Colin and Cromartie have jobs, Cro is done and Colin just isn't good enough to overcome all the other stuff.

45 minutes ago, BigO said:

he kneeled for his perception of things and read my last post why he doesn't have a job.  it's not b/c of the protest of his perceptions, it's for many other reasons.

I'm not exactly sure what that means. What does Josh Johnson have to do with Kaepernick?

If it's about talent level that is meaningless. Talent is subjective. If Kaepernick's lawyers plan on arguing that he is better than certain players they don't have a case and are wasting their time. That doesn't prove collusion.

The Texans just signed Josh Johnson. He hasn’t attempted a pass in the NFL in 6 years. Stop it. 

52 minutes ago, BigO said:

1) When he first knelt there was no definition as to why he was kneeling, still to this day we have some kind of ultra vague 'social injustice/dilemma' comments coming out that means zero without real state problems and goals as to how to remedy these problems.

2)  There is one reason that the NFL exists as an entertainment medium, it is for 3 hours on a weekend to take us all away from the social dilemmas that we face 24/7 through the rest of our lives.

3) The premise that you win hearts and minds by annoying the hell out of people is faulty and simply creates more division.  The national anthems for sporting events have traditionally been a way to honor fallen soldiers of the past present and future and also in some degree for present day 1st responders.   When I task my hat off and stand for the anthem at sporting events I am doing so in part for my three uncles killed in WW2 and other relatives such as my nephew who did a our in Afghanistan.

When people are kneeling at the point in time not before a game with teammates, not after a game in a prayer circle but right at the anthem it is trying o put one cause above a tribute in a most selfish action.

People trying to make this back and white thing fools.

As for the kneelers?  Total free country they can kneel all hey want but I have just as much right to blast them for doing so.

At this point I'd be fine with getting rid of the anthems totally.  Then you can kneel any time you want.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Texans just signed Josh Johnson. He hasn’t attempted a pass in the NFL in 6 years. Stop it. 

ok, so another mediocre backup type who doesn't bring a circus.  this proves nothing w/ kaep.  why isn't Manziel signed? why isn't RG III signed?  it's not just about talent, if it was kaep would be a backup somewhere.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

ok, so another mediocre backup type who doesn't bring a circus.  this proves nothing w/ kaep.  why isn't Manziel signed? why isn't RG III signed?  it's not just about talent, if it was kaep would be a backup somewhere.

Afte McNair’s Statements, getting Kaepernick would be sniggered at

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Afte McNair’s Statements, getting Kaepernick would be sniggered at

McNair's statement was a mangled version of the "inmates running the asylum", any reasonable person knows this but these times we live in everything must be racist.

Archived