Why do you still watch the NFL?

HawkeyeJet

So each day more and more off field nonsense comes out on the NFL and the on field product is at about s low of a level as I can remember.  

I ask myself quite often, why do I still watch?  NFL games are incredibly boring, and all the fighting between the League office and owners, or owners and players, or players and league office is non stop.

I don't really know why I do, but I still do and more than likely will continue to.  However, I think the NFL is a lot more vulnerable than people ever could have imagined just 5 years ago.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im a NY Jets fan and I'm a football fan I don't give a rats ass what goes on outside the lines when the clock is not running. 

People who protest sh*t want attention and the media gives it to them. 

Football is priority #1 for me nothing else matters thats going on in and around the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I still enjoy the games.

All the other stuff is just noise. Take it, or not, as I feel like.

End of the day I watch because I enjoy it.

Maybe that's how I need to approach it.  Avoid all that other crap and just watch and enjoy  the games.

While I do still enjoy the games, I do honestly think the quality of on field action has gone way down recently.  I hope it can bounce back.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Maybe that's how I need to approach it.  Avoid all that other crap and just watch and enjoy  the games.

While I do still enjoy the games, I do honestly think the quality of on field action has gone way down recently.  I hope it can bounce back.

It’s a mediocre year, aye. But that happens every so often, the league is in a transition state, the end of the Brady/BigBen/Rivers/Eli/Brees era. It’ll figure itself out soon enough.

As for the off field, I think of it like politics or news (or forums).  When it gets irritating, just turn that part off. Keep the part you enjoy, ditch the rest.

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So each day more and more off field nonsense comes out on the NFL and the on field product is at about s low of a level as I can remember.  

I ask myself quite often, why do I still watch?  NFL games are incredibly boring, and all the fighting between the League office and owners, or owners and players, or players and league office is non stop.

I don't really know why I do, but I still do and more than likely will continue to.  However, I think the NFL is a lot more vulnerable than people ever could have imagined just 5 years ago.

these days there is only one reason. JETS!!!! 

I lose interest in watching other teams.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm a Jets fan, i love fantasy football, I bet on games. Pretty much the same reasons why i watched games 20 years ago. The other option is being one of those guys that look miserable shopping with his wife on Sunday afternoons. 

As for the quality of play, the quality of play is far and away better than it was back in the day. Think about the HOF QBs we have in this era (Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Ben) Borderline HOF Qbs (Elli/Rivers) up and coming QBs (Carr/Wilson/Cousins/Watson/Goff/Wentz/Dak) great athletes (Cam/Mariotta). 

Go  back to  2000 and outside of Peyton and Favre, you had guys like Jeff Garcia/Elvis Grbac/Culpepper/Vinny/Beurlein/Brunell/Collins leading the NFL in passing yards. No thanks!

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm a Jets fan, i love fantasy football, I bet on games. Pretty much the same reasons why i watched games 20 years ago. The other option is being one of those guys that look miserable shopping with his wife on Sunday afternoons. 

As for the quality of play, the quality of play is far and away better than it was back in the day. Think about the HOF QBs we have in this era (Brady/Rodgers/Brees/Ben) Borderline HOF Qbs (Elli/Rivers) up and coming QBs (Carr/Wilson/Cousins/Watson/Goff/Wentz/Dak) great athletes (Cam/Mariotta). 

Go  back to  2000 and outside of Peyton and Favre, you had guys like Jeff Garcia/Elvis Grbac/Culpepper/Vinny/Beurlein/Brunell/Collins leading the NFL in passing yards. No thanks!

I saw Garcia in person throwing darts all over the field in Tampa.  Prob most impressive passer i have seen in person.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Your point about the QBs is actually part of my big problem with the current NFL product.  It is so heavily skewed to QB play, everything else is meaningless.  There is essentially 1 way to win and that's find the elite QB.  However, there is such a disconnect between college and Pro Football, that drafting QBs is a complete crapshoot.

So while there are some high level QBs right now, there is a lot of crap too.  To compensate for that, the NFL is an ultra conservative offensive game that is hard to watch.  Just my opinion.

I don't watch that much.  I'll watch the Jets, but that's about it.

I used to watch any game.  Now, it seems like every game has BS pass interference stuff, and a BS roughing the passer penalty that just, skew the hell out of the game.   I understand protecting the QB, but it's too far.  

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Your point about the QBs is actually part of my big problem with the current NFL product.  It is so heavily skewed to QB play, everything else is meaningless.  There is essentially 1 way to win and that's find the elite QB.  However, there is such a disconnect between college and Pro Football, that drafting QBs is a complete crapshoot.

So while there are some high level QBs right now, there is a lot of crap too.  To compensate for that, the NFL is an ultra conservative offensive game that is hard to watch.  Just my opinion.

Zeke/Bell/Hunt/Gurley/Fournette/Mccoy/Gordon

Odell/Julio/Evans/Green/Brown

There are great players all over the place. People are just sick of the players, not the game. They are sick of these guys thinking they are social justice warriors instead of just football players. People want to be entertained and not preached to during a game. 

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Zeke/Bell/Hunt/Gurley/Fournette/Mccoy/Gordon

Odell/Julio/Evans/Green/Brown

There are great players all over the place. People are just sick of the players, not the game. They are sick of these guys thinking they are social justice warriors instead of just football players. People want to be entertained and not preached to during a game. 

That's not what it is for me.  I just find the game is not that good these days.  Not sure exactly what it is but a few contributing factors are:

-It feels like half the teams in the league are horrible

-The NFL has turned into the Arena League

-Defense is illegal

-I have no idea what a catch is anymore

-Replays last forever and ruin spontaneous celebrations

-The hitting is generally not as fierce (I understand why but it's still less interesting to watch)

-The announcers these days are horrible (Romo has breathed some life into this but the networks still badly need more talent).

28 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I saw Garcia in person throwing darts all over the field in Tampa.  Prob most impressive passer i have seen in person.

Jeff Garcia was the epitome of a guy just getting a chance to play.  When he left the CFL he was not a guy I thought would make it in the NFL.

Ricky Ray, yeah the guy the jets had never had the lucky shot that Garcia got.  Ray is till playing and playing well in the CFL and to this day I think he is a better QB than Garcia.

It's all about getting the one shot and taking advantage (much like Warner)

Garcia was indeed very good when at his best.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jeff Garcia was the epitome of a guy just getting a chance to play.  When he left the CFL he was not a guy I thought would make it in the NFL.

Ricky Ray, yeah the guy the jets had never had the lucky shot that Garcia got.  Ray is till playing and playing well in the CFL and to this day I think he is a better QB than Garcia.

It's all about getting the one shot and taking advantage (much like Warner)

Garcia was indeed very good when at his best.

he sat behind(no pun intended) steve young(and montana at one point??) so that helped but he sure could sling it.

I'm largely in favor of the players right to protest, and I actually think the talent in the league is great; yet I still find the NFL product to be uninteresting at best; uninspired at worst.

Over-saturation, poor foresight on rule changes during Goodell's reign, the indelible stink of the games seeming to be scripted, and god awful presentation (Romo aside) are the real reasons for this. The social issues may be the final straw for fans who are turning off the NFL, but they're disingenuously leaving off other reasons.

I watch it because I love the sport. And l love rooting for my team. Even though the jets are frustrating, it’s a fun chase. Although years like last season make me not want to watch at all. There’s nothing to root for or get excited about with that kind of roster full of no effort veterans. 

Watching football is an escape sort of, I know it’ll always be there on Sunday and I know I like it. It’s always something to look forward to. I do think they need to get rid of Thursday night games, it’s just too much football. And it’s not even good most of the time.  

All the other news is just that, news. I could care less what’s happening from the protests to whatever goodell is up to, etc. 

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Watching football on Sundays is still way better than most other hobbies. Or having to have actual human interaction. 

Carl you are right and you seem like a good guy, human social interaction is good for the heart and soul, if you need help we are here for you. 

My whole family, on the male side that is, used to watch the Jets and NFL habitually for hours on end.  We all still watch, but only in a part-time casual fashion.

As others have pointed out;

Over-saturation.

Too many flags.

Lousy coaching.  College has the better coaches these days, it's really a shame.

Teams without a QB have virtually no chance for success as the league is currently constructed.

The only thing we aren't bothered by is politics in sports.  A certain narcissistic con-artist made this a way bigger issue than the players ever did.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I don't watch that much.  I'll watch the Jets, but that's about it.

I used to watch any game.  Now, it seems like every game has BS pass interference stuff, and a BS roughing the passer penalty that just, skew the hell out of the game.   I understand protecting the QB, but it's too far.  

This is my concern.  

Off-field stuff I don't care about.

But the ridiculous calls/rules are changing the game drastically.  The refs now can decide games just as much as either of the teams.

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Be honest: you share this same emerging sense of apathy regarding most sports these days. I know I do. I’m not really sure why, either. Probably saturation. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Be honest: you share this same emerging sense of apathy regarding most sports these days. I know I do. I’m not really sure why, either. Probably saturation. 

You know, yes and no.  I still enjoy Baseball and College Football/Basketball as much as I ever have, but Pro Football and Pro Basketball have diminished a ton.  I used to love the NBA, but now only watch the Finals.  Used to watch any NFL game that was on, now I barely watch any.

The part I don't get is how I still like College Hoops.  That sport has seen the sharpest decline in level of play and it's corrupt as hell, but I still love it.  Like you though, I don't really know why I still am invested in some and not others, but I think the saturation of the NFL plays a big part.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Football saturation to a degree.   The Thursday stuff needs to go.   I still really like baseball, basketball not so much, but I think the Knicks were just so poorly run for so long I just quit on them.

Some of it is, the players just aren't as likable as they were.   I guess the money got so high, and now you see so many players get that big contract and just stop playing.  I'm not saying the players aren't worse people than "back in the day", but my perception is they are more out for themselves.  The endless self promoting on the field is kind of a turn off.  A running back gains 7 yards on first down, and the guy who tackled him is going nuts over the tackle.  You just gave up 7 yards, shut up, it's not time to celebrate.  Players just always celebrating mediocre plays.  I realize there has always been trash talking, it just seems worse to me now, and it's a turn off.

Or, I'm just becoming a grumpy old guy.

Football is a very special sport in a way. It gives you an excuse to shut out the world 16 or so times a year. Each individual game is it own season and stands on it's own. Baseball needs to be watched in bunches to truly get the most out of it, full series, season long battles of pitchers vs batters, etc. Football though is a chess game played with pieces that don't always move as directed. 

Is the product as entertaining as it was? Well not really. Hasn't been since the AFL merged in. In fact, no sport is, as it used to be regular folks that are just talented at whatever athletic endeavor they are busting their butts to  pursue and now it is multi millionaires babying themselves because there is a lot of money involved.

My biggest complaint isn't what has been discussed so far in the thread but the part of sports that has deteriorated the most over the years .. the fans. You never would have heard silliness like losing on purpose or the general know-it-alls that have been taking over fanbases in all sports that think coaches and GM's are idiots while the truth is that this game is hard and carries no guarantees and the folks that work in it are the very best in the entire world. I won't even go onto how rude and inconsiderate fans are at the stadium (in general) as this is endemic for all of society (in general)

I asked the Mrs why she thinks we still watch these games. She said, "The Tailgates and you have to do something after the Mets season ends". I guess that is as good a reason as any to keep on going

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To me, it just feels like the natural progression of life.  When I was at my peak of interest, my life looked so different that it does today.  I'd watch games, drink, and eat junk food with friends... Now, it's rare I see those friends and I work to hard and too many hours to go home and ignore my wife and daughter for a ball game on TV.  Add to that that just about everything I do with my day now is more important than the outcome of the game, and it is relegated to what I said before: a mindless hobby with minimal investment.

Archived