Why do you still watch the NFL?

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/8/2017 at 4:19 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

So each day more and more off field nonsense comes out on the NFL and the on field product is at about s low of a level as I can remember.  

I ask myself quite often, why do I still watch?  NFL games are incredibly boring, and all the fighting between the League office and owners, or owners and players, or players and league office is non stop.

I don't really know why I do, but I still do and more than likely will continue to.  However, I think the NFL is a lot more vulnerable than people ever could have imagined just 5 years ago.

Bottom line is there is way too much of it, so it's not special anymore. Back in the  CH.2, 4, 7 days you watched your team on Sunday and Monday was a bonus treat even if your team wasn't playing.

Football is definitely hard to watch sometimes.  Baseball and basketball don't have the penalties or the constant stoppage that football has.  I don't mind it too much because I almost never watch live, so I just fast forward through the commercials and challenges.  

On 11/9/2017 at 10:28 PM, RoadFan said:

I have cut down on my NFL hours a ton. 

Honestly? I don't know why I watch at all anymore.  The flags on every play is destroying whatever enjoyment was left.

This is infuriating. 

Illegal breathing defense number 22

I watched a piece of an older game on YouTube yesterday and I have to say the lack of instant replay was fantastic.  It allows big play spontaneous celebrations to count rather to be followed up by a 1 minute wait for a ref to watch it on TV .  The cheers after a replay decision goes the home team's way are nothing in comparison to the organic ones that happen during the actual play.  Of course, even those cheers are generally no longer what they once were because the fans realize what's coming. 

In short, replay sucks!  (in all sports)

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I watched a piece of an older game on YouTube yesterday and I have to say the lack of instant replay was fantastic.  It allows big play spontaneous celebrations to count rather to be followed up by a 1 minute wait for a ref to watch it on TV again.  The cheers after a replay goes the home team's way are nothing in comparison to those right after the play.  Of course, even those cheers right after the play are generally no longer what they once were because the fans realize there will be a replay. 

Way too much instant replay, booth reviews etc in addition to the 50 million flags

And they still get the calls wrong

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Way too much instant replay, booth reviews etc in addition to the 50 million flags

And they still get the calls wrong

Agreed.  It's like they've tied the game up in red tape.  It's an abomination.  Get rid of the "every scoring play is reviewed" and "under 2 minutes it's reviewed by the official" nonsense.  Give a team 1 challenge each for the game and be done with it.  Or just get rid of challenges entirely. 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  It's like they've tied the game up in red tape.  It's an abomination.  Get rid of the "every scoring play is reviewed" and "under 2 minutes it's reviewed by the official" nonsense.  Give a team 1 challenge each for the game and be done with it.  Or just get rid of challenges entirely. 

They review if the coach scratches his nutsack and that guy Fox uses Perreira is brutal

I find the players more and more unlikable, for a variety of reasons, and it simply makes the game much less enjoyable for me.

The increased and random nature of penalties (there seems to be no consistency on holding and PI) is exceptionally frustrating....but I do agree with protecting the players - I have no problem whatsoever with trying to take as much unnecessary violence out of the game.  

I've been asking myself why I still watch football more and more.  The constant flags, commercial breaks, overemphasis of one position: QB.  The fact that there are so few quality Qbs.  it makes it tough.  Then you add in the politics and I understand why some folks have walked away.  I still love football, just not as much.  I am rather enjoying baseball much more these days.  Can't wait for next season.  I'm a Yankees fan so life is good ^_^

Look at these QBs.  There are about 16 that are still of quality (though Rodgers is out of the season).  That means half the league has below average to dreck as their QB.  And, due to making defense illegal, this is the make-or-break position in the league.  So basically only half the league is watchable.

Deshaun Watson, HOU
Dak Prescott, DAL
Carson Wentz, PHI
Tom Brady, NE
Aaron Rodgers, GB
Alex Smith, KC
Kirk Cousins, WSH
Jared Goff, LAR
Drew Brees, NO
Russell Wilson, SEA
Matthew Stafford, DET
Matt Ryan, ATL
Ben Roethlisberger, PIT    
Derek Carr, OAK
Tyrod Taylor, BUF
Cam Newton, CAR

image.png

2 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

I've been asking myself why I still watch football more and more.  The constant flags, commercial breaks, overemphasis of one position: QB.  The fact that there are so few quality Qbs.  it makes it tough.  Then you add in the politics and I understand why some folks have walked away.  I still love football, just not as much.  I am rather enjoying baseball much more these days.  Can't wait for next season.  I'm a Yankees fan so life is good ^_^

I hate the Yanks (Met fan) but, in some ways, it's fun for them to be good again.  As for football, I watch the Jets and sometimes parts of other games but I find myself turning those other games off after a little while out of boredom.

On 11/8/2017 at 4:19 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

So each day more and more off field nonsense comes out on the NFL and the on field product is at about s low of a level as I can remember.  

I ask myself quite often, why do I still watch?  NFL games are incredibly boring, and all the fighting between the League office and owners, or owners and players, or players and league office is non stop.

I don't really know why I do, but I still do and more than likely will continue to.  However, I think the NFL is a lot more vulnerable than people ever could have imagined just 5 years ago.

Force of habit. I watch, but not nearly as much as I used to. Used to be every game was one to watch, but the NFL has become something resembling the WWE. The rules regarding what is and what is not a catch is convoluted and subject to whatever the ref happens to want to call. In other words the officials have been given power to control the outcome of games and that is not something I want to watch or follow. The NFL needs to get back to black and white rules to bring the casual fan back and to win back the former hard core fan like myself. I watch all the Jets games and have seen the refs take games away from us with impunity. The Chiefs TE caught a TD pass that was almost an instant replay of the overturned call on Sefarian-Jenkins in the NE game and his was a TD. Why wasn't ours? Because it would have caused an upset of the referee fave Patriots.

On 11/8/2017 at 7:14 PM, T0mShane said:

Be honest: you share this same emerging sense of apathy regarding most sports these days. I know I do. I’m not really sure why, either. Probably saturation. 

I will certainly take time and enjoy the feeling if the Jets, Knicks etc. win a championship, but not like I would have in my early 20s. I dunno if it's aging or not, but I get very little personal satisfaction from watching people, that I will never have any interaction with, make millions of dollars playing a game that has zero bearing on my life. I still enjoy watching it with my friends, but win or lose, I still have to wake up and go to work the next day. 

On 11/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, Warfish said:

I still enjoy the games.

All the other stuff is just noise. Take it, or not, as I feel like.

End of the day I watch because I enjoy it.

I dunno about that.... The product on the field has been decaying for a while. The rule migration towards protecting QBs/points & and player safety has cause the game to evolve into a confusing ticky-tack display of ineptitude. Everything is geared towards spotlighting the marketable 5% of players.

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I dunno about that.... The product on the field has been decaying for a while. The rule migration towards protecting QBs/points & and player safety has cause the game to evolve into a confusing ticky-tack display of ineptitude. Everything is geared towards spotlighting the marketable 5% of players.

I'm not happy with the rules, nor with the (uneven/biased) application of those rules.

It doesn't rise to not enjoying the games.

Archived