Big Mac still believes in the Hack Attack

JustInFudge

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Wow your kool aid must be tasty

You're right ThaDude, I'm just drinking Kool Aid.  It has nothing to do with the fact that Josh Allen is literally small school version of Hack with WORSE accuracy issues and Lamar Jackson hasn't proved he can pass the ball effectively enough to be a first round draft pick.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Hack is trash he has had 2 years to learn an NFL offense and can’t beat out McCown

Ahh, no.  He has had two completely different offenses to learn in two years.  Plus the OC his first year did nothing to coach him. 

He may may suck so bad he never gets in a game but that does not mean posting this crap makes it true. 

A lot of overreactions from the overreactions crowd.  The moral to the article isn't that Mac still believes in Hack and is going to allow him to earn a 2nd round pay check to learn the position for the length of his rookie contract while never taking a single snap in the league and only dressing once.  It's that Mac is literally clueless and has zero urgency around solving the gapping hole at the most important position in all of sports.  Meanwhile, every single QB needy team in the NFL during Mac's tenure has attempted and have seemed to solve their QB problem outside of the Browns and maybe the Bears both not from a lack of effort.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Hack is trash he has had 2 years to learn an NFL offense and can’t beat out McCown

McCowns playing better than 19 other QBs in this league right now. Hack just isn't better than 13th best right now. Not the end of the world.

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

These young players are making a huge impact this season & starting to come on strong. Lee, Jenkins, Adams. I don't think there is anything wrong with developing a 22 year old guy by having someone as well versed in the NFL as McCown. It's crazy being a Jet fan, as Sanchez was just thrown into the fray & after he burned out all I saw was he should have been brought along more slowly, which is it?

He might never end up an NFL QB, but sitting for a few years is not the end of the world. I have a strong feeling he'll be better than Brett Hundley. McCown is the 13th ranked QB in the NFL, completing 70% of his passes. It was a 2nd round pick, we've blown 2nd rounders for years on end until Maye this year. Wasn't Petty 24 when drafted him?

Plenty of QB options to come this offseason, let's hope Macc makes a great choice or move to acquire one. 

I really have no issue with letting him sit and develop for a few years before making a determination.   The issue, if you chose to go that route is that you can't pass on QB's in future drafts that have a higher floor and can be ready sooner.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

A lot of overreactions from the overreactions crowd.  The moral to the article isn't that Mac still believes in Hack and is going to allow him to earn a 2nd round pay check to learn the position for the length of his rookie contract while never taking a single snap in the league and only dressing once.  It's that Mac is literally clueless and has zero urgency around solving the gapping hole at the most important position in all of sports.  

How do you figure that? IN any case, it will be decided once and for all with this offseason. If he doesn't show urgency to get a QB,, he should be let go after next year, or the pressure is hot enough, but I disagree with it, after the draft, like the Bills did. Still dont like the look of that

I'm just half they're finally being patient.   I've seen too many times where this franchise rushes the next "savior"  only to destroy him and throw him away.   Maybe we pick a QB next draft,  personally I have been screaming for OL the past few years...and still believe that's where we need to go.   

At the end of the day, if Hack doesn't work out it's a only a second round pick.

2 minutes ago, pajet said:

I really have no issue with letting him sit and develop for a few years before making a determination.   The issue, if you chose to go that route is that you can't pass on QB's in future drafts that have a higher floor and can be ready sooner.

Anyone who thinks that Macc will pass on a QB that can help the Jets improve because he used a 2nd round pick on Hack are smoking crack. Devin Smith (got injured twice) bad luck, Jace Amaro?, Geno Smith?, Stephen Hill? I'll be more interested to see Hackenberg next preseason with a year under his belt under Morton & Bates, observing McCown run this offense. Look how long it took players like Steve Young, Testeverde, Jim McMahon, and many, many more to be competent QBs. Guys like Wentz are anomolies and word was Macc tried to trade up for Wentz & Goff. He's done pretty well cleaning up the Rex/Idzik mess after going for broke in 2015. No way the Jets don't address the QB situation this offseason.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Anyone who thinks that Macc will pass on a QB that can help the Jets improve because he used a 2nd round pick on Hack are smoking crack. Devin Smith (got injured twice) bad luck, Jace Amaro?, Geno Smith?, Stephen Hill? I'll be more interested to see Hackenberg next preseason with a year under his belt under Morton & Bates, observing McCown run this offense. Look how long it took players like Steve Young, Testeverde, Jim McMahon, and many, many more to be competent QBs. Guys like Wentz are anomolies and word was Macc tried to trade up for Wentz & Goff. He's done pretty well cleaning up the Rex/Idzik mess after going for broke in 2015. No way the Jets don't address the QB situation this offseason.

No one really knows for certain why Mac chose to pass on Watson.   However, the evidence is that Hack was selected in the second round the prior year and has not developed to expectations.    Despite Mac's claims early in his tenure that he believed in drafting a QB every year, he chose to pass on several options this year, one of which, at least initially, looks to be extremely talented and capable of being a FQB. 

I like some of what Mac has done and I don't kill him for Hack.   But the bottom line is when he arrived, we didn't have a QB and three years later, we still don't have a QB.   Clock is ticking.   At some point he has to at least try to get his guy in the first round....trying to trade up and failing is not enough.

7 minutes ago, pajet said:

No one really knows for certain why Mac chose to pass on Watson.   However, the evidence is that Hack was selected in the second round the prior year and has not developed to expectations.    Despite Mac's claims early in his tenure that he believed in drafting a QB every year, he chose to pass on several options this year, one of which, at least initially, looks to be extremely talented and capable of being a FQB. 

I like some of what Mac has done and I don't kill him for Hack.   But the bottom line is when he arrived, we didn't have a QB and three years later, we still don't have a QB.   Clock is ticking.   At some point he has to at least try to get his guy in the first round....trying to trade up and failing is not enough.

So pretty much Mac didn't believe in the guys on the roster so he drafted Petty even though Geno was on the roster albeit understandably, then he drafted Hackenberg despite already having 2 young quarterbacks on the roster. Then this year he decides to not draft a QB. Which proves the "draft a quarterback every year" mantra was wolf tickets. 

Face it, maybe Bowles' QB development program is fatally flawed. Not every HC/CS is cut out for it.

That's why he needs a plug-n-play windup vet like Fitz or McC that comes pre-coached. 

Belichick can work with raw ingredients. Bowles needs a tv dinner he can slam in a microwave.

And Macc does a fine job covering for his handicapped HC.

The idiocy on these boards regarding the QB position is staggering. People all of a sudden like McClown who is doing nothing but dumpoffs to veteran receivers, yet are completely willing to just dismiss Hack and Petty out of hand without even playing them and seeing if they are able to develop. Let's keep the dead end veteran QB train running. It is the same as choosing a Christmas present without ever opening it just by the sound it makes when you shake it. So with exceedingly limited knowledge of what Hack or Petty can do we just discard them. Clueless. Bowles is a moron. Petty should have gotten his shot, then Hack. McClown shouldnt even be on the team. Whatever. Funniest thing, is that the Jets ran the exact same offense that McClown is running now in Preseason game 1 and Hack excelled. Then in the next couple games behind a non existent OL, they tried all sorts of long developing plays and Hack faltered badly. Meanwhile Petty throws up a perfect QB rating in his last action, and we hand the job to McClown and run the same ultra conservative dink and dunk offense from game 1 that Hack did well in, but now Hack is a complete bust, and the veteran who has already proved he sucks over a long career is hailed by sheep fans. It is 2015 again and the Jets and the fans here never learn.

9 minutes ago, pajet said:

No one really knows for certain why Mac chose to pass on Watson.   However, the evidence is that Hack was selected in the second round the prior year and has not developed to expectations.    Despite Mac's claims early in his tenure that he believed in drafting a QB every year, he chose to pass on several options this year, one of which, at least initially, looks to be extremely talented and capable of being a FQB. 

This was a complete rebuild this year at many, many positions. I don't think Macc & Bowles wanted the pressure by the press & the fans to start another rookie QB. I think they brought in Morton & Bates to assess Petty & Hackenberg in regard to the offensive system they were installing. McCown playing well is the best thing that could happen for them as the team is competitive, there is some balance between offense & defense so there is complimentary play between offense, defense & special teams which allows for great situational football to be implemented by the coaching staff & everyone on the team is engaged still after 9 games. 

Look at teams like the Browns, 49ers, Colts to some extent, Giants, when things go bad there is nothing rolls over to the following year because some players have already quit & decided to protect their assets (which are themselves).

Just imagine if Petty or Hack started the season & we experienced turnovers & slews of 3 & outs, putting our young defense in debilitatingly horrible field position, not being able to gain any confidence. The imbalance would eventually crush the spirit of the team & players start trying to do too much, freelance, get discouraged ect. I know you guys don't like to hear it but if your going to rebuild with a younger roster, learning to play complementary football, keeping on an even keel when behind, learning to play 60 minutes, all of these things are a process & fortunately for us Jet fans, Josh McCown has been a godsend as a bridge to better things. He has really helped this young squad have fun, teach what it takes to win, how much focus it takes to be successful in this league & that you can still learn something from this game even at 38 years old. McCown has been awesome for the GROWTH of this team even if he's not our future. It seems like he propelling this youngsters to a great future.

Guys. Hear me out.

Old ass Bledsoe was replaced by a second-year Brady following his injury (endured in a Jets/Pats game). Brady went on to win the Super Bowl.

We play NE in week-17.  By then we’ll probably be 10-5, and old ass McCown will go down with an injury. After which second-year Hackenberg will step in and lose us the game. 

7 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Mahomes is 22, Trubisky is 23, Watson is 22, Hack is 22. If nothing else he is still young and could possibly develop, not really costing us much, already spent the pick on him can't get it back at this point. The roster spot is more of an issue in my mind. Not sure why anyone would blast Macc for saying what he said, not like he can come out at say "Hack is a bust I really screwed up on that one". Now if he decides not to get a QB this off season because of Hack's potential development, that would be inexcusable.

The key for me is what is done is done and I’ve stated it elsewhere that the Jets based on the fact that they didn’t Trade Petty are higher on him and on Hack then are the fans.  

However you don’t get to develop guys and then claim it is no big deal when you pass up on what appear to be franchise level QBs year after year.   

As you state one of these guys better be ready next year or they draft a stud QB in this year’s draft or he and Bowles should be toast; it is as simple as that. 

1 hour ago, August said:

So pretty much Mac didn't believe in the guys on the roster so he drafted Petty even though Geno was on the roster albeit understandably, then he drafted Hackenberg despite already having 2 young quarterbacks on the roster. Then this year he decides to not draft a QB. Which proves the "draft a quarterback every year" mantra was wolf tickets. 

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but what I am trying to say is that Mac has been here 3 years and has not adequately addressed the QB situation.   It is the most important position in the game and you can't expect to have sustained success if you don't have one.   IMO, drafting a 4th round project and a 2nd round project when all you had coming in was Geno Smith is borderline negligence.  Project QB's are great and all and sometimes they even develop.   Teams with a QB have the luxury of picking projects to see if they can develop them behind their starter.   Teams without a QB need to take bold steps to ensure that they get one or they will continue to be irrelevant.   I like Mac, especially the work he has done with the back end of the roster.   But he needs to find a QB...nothing else really matters. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The key for me is what is done is done and I’ve stated it elsewhere that the Jets based on the fact that they didn’t Trade Petty are higher on him and on Hack then are the fans.  

However you don’t get to develop guys and then claim it is no big deal when you pass up on what appear to be franchise level QBs year after year.   

As you state one of these guys better be ready next year or they draft a stud QB in this year’s draft or he and Bowles should be toast; it is as simple as that. 

This....well said

Not bad like a lotto Win.

Hack's made some money for never sniffing the field. I think him and Petty are gone in 2018.

Current Contract
Year    Cap
Number    
Dead Money & Cap Savings

2016    $847,328        
2017    $1,059,160    
$1,853,816
($794,656)
2018    $1,270,992    
$794,656
$476,336
2019    $1,482,824    
$397,328
$1,085,496
Total    $4,660,304    

19 minutes ago, pajet said:

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but what I am trying to say is that Mac has been here 3 years and has not adequately addressed the QB situation.   It is the most important position in the game and you can't expect to have sustained success if you don't have one.   IMO, drafting a 4th round project and a 2nd round project when all you had coming in was Geno Smith is borderline negligence.  Project QB's are great and all and sometimes they even develop.   Teams with a QB have the luxury of picking projects to see if they can develop them behind their starter.   Teams without a QB need to take bold steps to ensure that they get one or they will continue to be irrelevant.   I like Mac, especially the work he has done with the back end of the roster.   But he needs to find a QB...nothing else really matters. 

The point I was trying to make was that Mac preached "taking a quarterback every year" until he found a guy he liked enough then it stopped. I was just addressing that part of your post. The Jets keep wasting time with quarterbacks that won't be here long term. Instead of seeing if Geno can show something with a new coaching staff and weapons they ride it out with Fitzpatrick. Now it's the same problem only with McCown. Give Petty a chance. But more than likely they bring back McCown or another retread QB. 

He said the right thing. I'd be a lot more concerned if he said, "yeah, Hack's a bust. Screw him." 

What's important is what he does at the position in the offseason, not what he says in November. He needs to add a vet and a draft pick next year, leaving Hack and Petty battling for a roster spot. One or both of those additions has to be high end - the $20M vet and/or a high first round pick. Anything less isn't doing enough. 

From there Hack and Petty would be fighting for a roster spot. That's when you find out how they really feel about Hackenberg. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

He said the right thing. I'd be a lot more concerned if he said, "yeah, Hack's a bust. Screw him." 

What's important is what he does at the position in the offseason, not what he says in November. He needs to add a vet and a draft pick next year, leaving Hack and Petty battling for a roster spot. One or both of those additions has to be high end - the $20M vet and/or a high first round pick. Anything less isn't doing enough. 

From there Hack and Petty would be fighting for a roster spot. That's when you find out how they really feel about Hackenberg. 

I agree completely.  We all are in agreement that Hack was not what a 2nd round pick should be.   He has some skills-most of us think Hack is hopeless, but he is an option, and it does not pay to pull the plug on him now.  Give him another off season to develop, and maybe next year he can be a 2 year back up or trade bait.

In a perfect world, Petty would have some good appearances this year and be trade bait.   I don't see the Jets extending him, but maybe someone gives up a shot.

1 minute ago, slats said:

The vet he needs is on the roster.

It's going to be a draft pick, McCown, and Hack.  

If they're drafting somewhere in the high teens to mid 20's then that would significantly increase the likelihood they sign a "premium" vet, dump McCown, draft a mid round QB, and say adios to Petty.

9 hours ago, JiF said:

If the season slips away from the Jets over the next month, Hackenberg could see time late in the season. 

Game 16, Jets down 54-3, 8 seconds left

Mac to Bowles: Get Hack in there. I wanna see what he’s got. 

Bowles to Hack: Ok kid here’s your shot. Go in there and take a knee. Try and get the D to jump offsides. Go get em!

Hack fumbles it’s run back for a TD. 

Hack: Darn it. I shoulda stayed in Penn State another year. 

During this yrs TC Cimini was interviewed by Eric Allen during one of those Live from Jets TC broadcast on Jets webpage. Allen asked Rich how Hack looked this TC compared to last yrs. Cimini said paraphrasing “there’s no comparison, I can’t even put a number to it how much better he looks”  So why can’t he continue to improve with another yr under his belt and w/a better understanding of the WCO?  

Hes 22.  Learning his 3rd or 4th O in last 5 yrs.  Will he pan out? Who knows? 

But I find it funny that all these so called NFL “experts” that continue to criticize Mcc over the Hack pick, Hack himself and state that Hack can’t play are the same ones that said the Jets would win at max three games this season. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think they made the determination that they are getting a new QB for 2018 whether it's FA or through the draft is to be seen. I think they saw enough in preseason to know not to put all their chips in Petty & Hack's corner. I still believe we will see both of them again this year maybe for the last 3 or 4 games if we are eliminated from contention.

9 hours ago, JiF said:

So basically, this was a blue-shirt season and everything is fine next year because they have the yellow-shirt option.  

Preseaon was not discouraging because tons of areas of improvement where identified.  

There is no specific way to handle the QB position, so why play him?  Much better just throwing sh*tty vets at the position and hold out for hope in the "developing" young guys.  However, all players are different in terms of how quickly they develop yet some get twice as long a leash to develop because said player could put egg on your face so lets hold out for hope.  In fact, some get to just hang out on an NFL roster learning the game with zero expectations to ever even take a snap while others don't get so lucky.  

We could have Deshaun but energy/leader of men stuff is very important at practice and heavens knows Deshaun does not bring energy or lead men and stuff. 

You sit back an analyze the draft a few years removed, however, when passing on possibly a great franchise changing player, Mac prefers not to look back and play the what if game. 

I'd say the QB position is in great hands, guys. 

i think all fans have 20-20 hindsight when it comes to jet woulda, coulda players.  but you always have to look at the context in which a decision is made.  at the time, they had mccown, petty and hack all signed.  there was still some reasonable hope that hack would be the guy since it was plenty clear that gailey and patullo did zero to develop this kid.  as a matter of fact the development of nearly all the players was set back a season because of the way last season unfolded.  but that's all water under the bridge.  the second part is that even if watson was drafted, mccown probably still would be starting and, assuming he put up the same numbers, he would still be starting. finally, had they drafted watson and he did start and put up the numbers that he did with the texans what would that mean for the rest of the team?  right now i see a complete team developing that doesn't necessarily have to rely on one player to win.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i think all fans have 20-20 hindsight when it comes to jet woulda, coulda players.  but you always have to look at the context in which a decision is made.  at the time, they had mccown, petty and hack all signed.  there was still some reasonable hope that hack would be the guy since it was plenty clear that gailey and patullo did zero to develop this kid.  as a matter of fact the development of nearly all the players was set back a season because of the way last season unfolded.  but that's all water under the bridge.  the second part is that even if watson was drafted, mccown probably still would be starting and, assuming he put up the same numbers, he would still be starting. finally, had they drafted watson and he did start and put up the numbers that he did with the texans what would that mean for the rest of the team?  right now i see a complete team developing that doesn't necessarily have to rely on one player to win.

It didn't take 20/20 hindsight to know Hack couldn't play. Good scouts knew before the draft and it was apparent to anyone who watched the 2016 preseason the kid was a mess. Seriously, passing on Watson because Hack needed time isn't hindsight, and any football person who feels that way shouldn't be the GM on an NFL team.

Archived