Big Mac still believes in the Hack Attack

JustInFudge

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Dave Krieg, Rich Gannon at the top of my head are 2 examples.

That said, I have no idea what Hack may be at this point.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I would argue Terry Bradshaw as well

2 hours ago, jetrider said:

Steve Young was declared a bust in TB and was a backup for four years in SF

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

yep, hack is not looking so good.  but there have been qb's who took some time before they started to get good.  rich gannon for one.  even jay fiedler or dave kreig.  i think one of the frustrating things is that there doesn't seem to be much info about what his actual issues are.  yes they said it was mechanics but have people watched the way mccown throws?  if it's the mental part of the game then they really need to get him into a real game to see what he can do.  i know they played him in pre season but imo it's not the same thing.

as for watson, imo bowles would not be starting watson.  and if mccown and the team continued to perform like they have watson would still be on the bench.  about the only thing that can be said is when the season goes out of reach watson probably would start.  i don't get the same feeling about hack.  speaking of hack, maybe he needs to start doing what ray lucas did and get on special teams.  he needs to get in there and start fighting for his job.  he's a big gu.  he should be able to give or take a hit.

Just for reference, comparisons and curiosity, I looked some of these dudes up;

Rich Gannon is a good example but it looks like he ran the option in college and the Vikings (who drafted him) actually tried to convert him to RB.  So this isn't exactly apples to apples but yes, he did eventually emerge into a back up and then even much later into a pro-bowler.

Dave Kreig not 100% sure but looked to be the back up his rookie year and actually got 3 starts his 2nd year in the league. 

Jay Fielder also got action his first 2 years in the NFL.  Not much but some and was a direct back up his 2nd year.

Steve Young played in the USFL and started games his first year in the NFL for the Bucs.

Terry Bradshaw split time his rookie campaign and was the starter his 2nd season. 

Tyrod Taylor was the direct back up and got some playing time, albeit not much his first 2 seasons in the NFL. 

The only other player I can think of is Tony Romo but even he was a Holder before becoming the starter. lol

So basically, 2 guys in somewhat recent history have never played a single down their first 2 seasons/werent the direct back up and turned out to be pretty good players.  Tony Romo and Rich Gannon.  

Although, none of these guys got announced red-shirt and unanncouned blue-shirt seasons.  So the odds are in the Jets and Hack's favor that he'll come around. ;-) 

We won't get into the draft position of any of these guys in this comparison...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty, and Hackenberg have been the Jets QB's under Mac's leadership for the last 2-1/2 years.  That's plenty to hate Mac for.  Passing on viable QB's and not properly evaluating the QB's he picked over that span is plenty more to hate Mac for. 

If Mac doesn't lock up a legit QB via the draft or free agency in 2018, he should be run out of town. 

Exactly.  That's been his "attempts" at solving the position.  And the posters that are saying "whats he supposed to say" are right.  He shouldn't say I wish I would have prioritized the QB over the S and Hack is a dead end but it's not really about that.  It's about the collective efforts or lack there of and knowledge of what we know about his QB assessment, like you mentioned.  ex: Hack in the 2nd, trading up for Petty, Trubisky > Watkins.  When you put it altogether, it just doesn't give you a whole lot of optimism he can find one in the draft.  That's what this is about.

Which is why I really hope he does go the legit FA QB route this offseason, assuming the options we believe to be available actually are...like Cousins.  I'm pretty much all in on that.  I think he's better than what's coming out and I don't trust this regime to make the right decision come draft day.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Mac has shown zero urgency regarding the position at this point but hey, hope is fun! Just like 2018 being an all time QB class!!!

This isn’t about Watson, this about his overall lack of plan and urgency regarding the postion.  He didn’t just get here.  

iceman.gif

5 hours ago, JiF said:

The hope for Hack thing is getting a bit ridiculous.  Has there ever been in a player that has risen from where he is?  A player resigned to 3rd string, not allowed to dress, who is absolutely horrible looking at every given opportunity and just magically turns it around because of time and development?  I'd love an example and then maybe I can buy into this hope.

Brad Johnson

Mark Rypien

Here's the thing I don't get about the argument "we have to play Hack this year so we know what we have".

Let's say he plays the last 4 games - that's realistically the most he'll see.

Two extremes exist:

1. He plays like crap
  2. He plays lights out

Obviously in (1) you go into the off season knowing you need to do something (vet / high draft pick / both).

Is it really all that different with (2)? Are you going to say "well, he played great for 4 games, so we're good for next year"? In my mind 4 games should make no difference - we take the same steps to upgrade the position (vet / high draft pick / both) and enter camp with that mix; best player wins the job, and if we have a talented guy n the bench that's great news. Injury cover, second option to push the starter, trade bait ... very little can be bad about having a talented QB duo.

So I don't care if Hack plays this year or not. It should have no bearing on what we do in the off season at that position.

Guys can surprise you. Look at this stat line:

SEASON GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT
2012 3 33 48 68.8 466 9.71 4 77 3 1 77.7 101.6
2013 5 81 155 52.3 854 5.51 4 62 7 3 41.7 58.4
2014 6 126 204 61.8 1710 8.38 10 81 9 2 52.0

Not real impressive and I wouldn't expect this QB to be a viable starter, and neither did a lot of other people.

It's Kirk Cousins.

I don't know if Hack is any good but maybe he still has a chance.

16 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It just goes back to the way people want to build a football team. A lot of people want QB first and team second. I like it the other way, and I have seen the other way work more often

Well your in luck, the Jets always like the QB last, if Infact ever.

22 hours ago, Mogglez said:

"Geez, so many overreactions! It isn't that Macc still believes in Hack, you're missing my point and the moral of the article...."

*Names thread "Big Mac still believes in the Hack Attack"*

Macc pissed away a 2nd round pick on this scrub he believed enough

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Macc pissed away a 2nd round pick on this scrub he believed enough

You'd think that after completely missing the point in just about every post made from your old account, you'd fine tune your reading comprehension skills before making a new one.  

Guess not.

On 11/10/2017 at 11:07 AM, Mogglez said:

"Geez, so many overreactions! It isn't that Macc still believes in Hack, you're missing my point and the moral of the article...."

*Names thread "Big Mac still believes in the Hack Attack"*

You need catchy headlines these days.  Quit overreacting. 

Archived