Jets' coordinator 'cool' with players who question play calls

Gas2No99

Jets' coordinator 'cool' with players who question play calls

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0129%2Fr176374_1

Jets offensive coordinator John Morton said he supports open communication with players, saying, "At the end of the day, all we want to do is win." Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- If a player questions the play caller, that's OK. So says the play caller.

"Listen, after the game, players are emotional, coaches are emotional and sometimes they say things maybe they shouldn't say," New York Jets offensive coordinator John Morton said Thursday. "Hey, listen, I'm cool with that. I don't have a problem with that at all. We all talked about it and life goes on. I listened."

He was alluding to the Matt Forte comments from Oct. 29, when the veteran running back said Morton "strayed from the game plan" in the rain-soaked loss to the Atlanta Falcons -- i.e. he should've called more running plays than he did.

The next day, Forte and other players voiced their concerns to Morton. They felt he was too pass-reliant, and that the best formula for the offense over the second half of the season would be to feature the running game.

Morton was unavailable to the media last week because the Jets played Thursday night, so Thursday was his first opportunity to address the situation -- his first taste of controversy as an offensive coordinator.

"I listen to everybody," he said. "I listen to the quarterback, I listen to all the coaches, any players, especially the players who have played in this league for a long time"-- like Forte. "I'm listening."

Morton said he doesn't mind when players speak up. He called it "open communication." There's a delicate balance, of course. A coach will lose his players if he's close-minded and shuts them out, but he also must maintain his authority. He said it would be "stupid" not to listen to his players.

"At the end of the day, all we want to do is win," Morton said. "Whatever we want to do, whatever they want to do, as long as it helps us win games, we'll do it."

Perhaps not coincidentally, the Jets opened the last game with three straight runs and wound up running 41 times for 194 yards in the 34-21 win over the Buffalo Bills. It also happened to be Forte's best game -- 77 yards and his first two touchdowns of the season.

Morton said Forte's comments didn't influence his play calling; obviously, players felt it did.

"No," Morton said. "I'm going to do whatever is working and (the run game) was working."

9 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Hire Gruden so he stays with the team. Bowles sucks.

I hear some people saying Bowles is a contender for coach of the year.  I don't know about that, or him being as bad as you say (it's only his 3rd year), but I think a lot of his success is because of the newly hired assistants prior to starting this year.  I think Morton, Dennard, and quite a few others, along with getting rid of the losers from last year (although Forte is still here) have all contributed to what we are seeing on the field.  It is literally a TEAM EFFORT, just like their motto.

Love this Morton guy & I'm hoping Bates is turns out to be the QB whisperer with Hackenberg. I still think it's ridiculous to judge any QB in preseason that doesn't take snaps with the entire 1st team offense. Judging QBs, especially pocket guys playing behind a bunch of Oline players that are now working at UPS is just stupid. McCown was the plan all along so Morton could put in his system. Bates is working with Hack & Petty translating film every week & we'll know nothing until preseason of 2018 regarding Hackenberg. 

Archived