Jets' Jamal Adams hopes history against 'phenomenal' Bucs TE O.J. Howard pays off

Gas2No99

Jets' Jamal Adams hopes history against 'phenomenal' Bucs TE O.J. Howard pays off

New York Jets strong safety Jamal Adams is excited for his matchup with O.J. Howard. (AP Photo | Kathy Willens)

New York Jets strong safety Jamal Adams is excited for his matchup with O.J. Howard. (AP Photo | Kathy Willens)

FLORHAM PARK -- Throughout the season so far, Jets safety Jamal Adams has exchanged text messages with O.J. Howard, the Buccaneers' prodigious tight end. 

The two rookies, both first-round draft picks, got to know each other while playing at LSU (Adams) and Alabama (Howard) -- bitter rivals in the Southeastern Conference. 

Adams considers Howard a friend from all their collegiate matchups and their pre-draft training together in Arizona earlier this year. During their first half of their rookie seasons, Adams and Howard have encouraged each other from afar, as both have performed well. 

"He knows it's all love on this side," Adams told NJ Advance Media on Thursday. 

This week, though, Adams and Howard won't be texting, as Adams prepares to cover Howard on Sunday, when the Jets play at Tampa Bay. Adams, better than most, knows the challenge ahead for him, and the attention it requires. 

"He's a phenomenal player, man," Adams said. "He has the potential to be one of the top tight ends in the league. We've got to keep our eyes on him and hopefully stop him this week." 

Howard this season has been targeted 22 times and has 14 catches for 227 yards (16.2 yards per catch) and three touchdowns. He figures to get more targets this week, because the Bucs' top wide receiver, Mike Evans, is suspended.

Ditto for the Bucs' other tight end, Cameron Brate, who has 32 catches for 414 yards and four touchdowns. Brate and Howard will test the Jets' secondary. 

Not only does Adams have experience against Howard, but so does the Jets' other rookie safety, Marcus Maye, who played at Florida. The Jets drafted Maye in Round 2, after they took Adams sixth overall, and after Howard went 19th overall to the Bucs. 

"We know him," Maye told NJ Advance Media. "We know who he is, the type of player he is, what he can do, what he can't do. So it definitely helps us, to use his weaknesses to our advantage. He's understanding how to get open. He's doing a great job. He's learning, just like all of us are learning each week." 

Though Adams has acquitted himself well this season, he has experienced his share of rookie hiccups in coverage, particularly against likely Hall of Fame tight end Rob Gronkowski. 

"I've been criticized already about giving up five touchdowns, as they say I gave up," Adams said. "I don't know where that came from. I pride myself on covering. I really consider three touchdowns on me. But hey, I'll take it." 

Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said Adams' coverage technique "is only going to get better. Some of the tight ends he's covered thus far this year are extremely talented. For where he is right now, we're extremely pleased." 

One issue for Adams in coverage, according to Jets coach Todd Bowles: "His eyes get off track, and he doesn't understand that he has to leave his hands alone after five yards. But we don't have a problem with him covering. For the most part, he's fine."

Adams knows that undisciplined eyes can be an issue for him in coverage, though he never bought into the pre-draft notion that he was a liability in coverage. 

How Jets crushed Bills

"I think it's just the focus, man," he said. "Locking in at the moment. The plays that I do give up -- catches or five touchdowns, as they say -- it's all about eyes. It's all about what I could've done. It's not necessarily what they've done to me. It's all on myself. I'm really critical on what I do on the field, as far as anything negative that happens." 

In particular, Adams said he sometimes must do a better job of noticing the break points in a wide receiver or tight end's route -- and also avoid looking back at the quarterback too early, while attempting to get a jump on the pass. This is all part of Adams' rookie learning curve. 

"It's little split seconds that can get you in trouble," Adams said. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

"I've been criticized already about giving up five touchdowns, as they say I gave up," Adams said. "I don't know where that came from. I pride myself on covering. I really consider three touchdowns on me. But hey, I'll take it." 

Anyone wanna bet Howard walks into the end zone at least twice on Sunday?

26 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Anyone wanna bet that TomShane pleasures "Louie's" himself to Jets bashing articles

fixed. :lol:

I'm playing his stand-up on Netflix (articles stated they were all taken down) in the background and 1/2 of his comedy, which was always kinda creepy and TMI for my taste, just makes SO much more sense now with all this dirt coming out. Sadly all his material is eerily true. :blink:

But yes, T0mShane has the Ebert syndrome. :lol:

22 minutes ago, Larz said:

haters are losers, it goes hand in hand

Adams rookie year is being recognized as a very good one by outsiders with no agenda

sucks our captains are the biggest haters (losers)

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Many people are saying?

Is this what it sounds like when Doves cry?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

haters are losers, it goes hand in hand

Adams rookie year is being recognized as a very good one by outsiders with no agenda

sucks our captains are the biggest haters (losers)

Adams and Maye have made a huge difference on our defensive backfield. Adams was a terrific pick in the 1st round. 

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

3 catches for 25 yards. Ooooooh

Njoku- 3 catches for 48 yards. Better but still oooooh

Njoku at least burned him for a 21 yard TD pass. SO that at least has a bit of merit.

The TD pass for Fasano was 4 yards. He's not getting credit for that 

A safety taken 6th overall shouldn’t have 34 year old blocking tight ends and rookies with qbs who don’t know the plays scoring on them

Adams has been totally average so far

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

A safety taken 6th overall shouldn’t have 34 year old blocking tight ends and rookies with qbs who don’t know the plays scoring on them

Bullsh*t. Pure and simple bullsh*t. QBs are given the luxury of settling in and so should any player. I remember Darrelle Revis struggling his first couple of years, before finding it. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Bullsh*t. Pure and simple bullsh*t. QBs are given the luxury of settling in and so should any player. I remember Darrelle Revis struggling his first couple of years, before finding it. 

Adams was supposed to be better than Ed Reed and Troy Polumalu.  I have seen nothing to suggest he is anything close to that

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Who said this?

2. IN his first year? If he's average in his first year, don't you think that's a good sign?

Adams was drafted higher than both.  He was also drafted an entire round ahead of Landon Collins is he even as good as Collins? No

Njoku was a first year player too so much for that excuse 

Just now, Philc1 said:

Adams was drafted higher than both.  He was also drafted an entire round ahead of Landon Collins is he even as good as Collins? No

1. That is a ridiculous statement. By that definition, Aundray Bruce should have been better than Lawrence Taylor because he was drafted higher. That is rubbish.

2. Landon Collins has sucked this year man. I would take Adams over Collins right now. That 3rd and 33 play I dont think would have happened if Adams was back there.

This is a franchise that has drafted in the top ten: Vernon Gholston, Kyle Brady, Dee Milliner etc.

And we're whining about a player who in his rookie year in the NFL, at a position which is difficult to master, is playing average?

And a player whom the alternatives to picking him, in terms of the big position are out for the year with a torn ACL, which happened in game so it might scare the Texans looking at past example like RGIII, and is sitting behind Alex Smith.

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Njoku was a first year player too so much for that excuse 

What excuse? Njoku's good too. 18 catches for 195 yards and 3TDs his rookie year? That's a good rookie year for a first round TE. Especially with a team like the Browns who don't have a QB.

You're just being a ******* clown man.

25 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

In this pass happy NFL, I could catch 3 passes. Or draw 3 penalties.

That's why I believe yards given up by a defense is overrated as a stat

I, too, believe that you could catch three TD passes against Jamal Adams. I’m glad we’ve achieved consensus.

28 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is a franchise that has drafted in the top ten: Vernon Gholston, Kyle Brady, Dee Milliner etc.

And we're whining about a player who in his rookie year in the NFL, at a position which is difficult to master, is playing average?

Ne plus ultra JN post.

Archived