When can we Fire the Offensive Line?

CanadaSteve

JUST STAND THERE WITH YOUR STUPID ARMS FOLDED TODD, its what you do best!! Great half time adjustments BTW. Whatever you do Todd do not order Morton to go hurry up, or roll out on a few plays, or max protect, or try some trickery to fool the defense, no, he'll show you he is right by doing what they do and not deviate one bit. Keep establishing the running game Todd at 16-3.

A PENALTY ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME and on every subsequent play it seems. Second and 10-15's they run for no yards. 3rd and 1's they run for no yards. 1st and 10 we get sacked. FRIGGIN DISGUSTING FOOTBALL.

3 Points. LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ARE WE FRIGGIN CONSCIOUS? No wonder why we cannot get even 1 first down, the whole team follows its leader and IS ASLEEP.

I think I comically read someone offering this a$$clown for Coach of the year LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

TODD YOU LET RYAN FITZPATRICK BEAT YOU WITHOUT HIS #1 RECEIVER LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I am so happy I do not have to worry about the NY Jets for the rest of this season now, thank you Todd Bowltite. Again, totally awesome job having your team prepared to play football on Sunday.

This Oline is a dumpster fire. It's the weakest part of this team right now. They can't run the ball, can't pass block, and commit way too many penalties. I'm still trying to figure out how this team ran for 250 and 200 yards in 2 games this year. The short yardage run blocking is horrific and they have been stuffed many times. Johnson and Winters have to replaced at the very least. Spend some of that 90 mil on some Oline help please. 

The Oline started the year out ok, but its just fallen apart since then.  They are chronically overpayed for what they've been showing.  I knew losing Mangold and Clady was going to hurt a bit, but the penalties are just killing us.  This will have to be addressed in the draft, we have no young talent there.  Worse, FA OL is usually the worst bang for your buck in the league.  Teams can easily go broke paying for marginal pieces.  

Brian Winters career started badly & he still sucks but now is overpaid. This is more about who rated this guy as worthy of such a large contract. I thought we had finally turned the page of overpaying average players. Winters play yesterday was BELOW average, twice having huge penalties which put us in down & distance issues on the road.

If I'm the owner of the Jets, I'm asking questions this morning about the Oline coach, how they are putting ratings on their development. How does a team like the Patriots continue to put lines together with turnover & injuries every year? I know Scarnechia is the best but isn't their anyone who has worked under him to follow some type of script?

37 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Brian Winters career started badly & he still sucks but now is overpaid. This is more about who rated this guy as worthy of such a large contract. I thought we had finally turned the page of overpaying average players. Winters play yesterday was BELOW average, twice having huge penalties which put us in down & distance issues on the road.

If I'm the owner of the Jets, I'm asking questions this morning about the Oline coach, how they are putting ratings on their development. How does a team like the Patriots continue to put lines together with turnover & injuries every year? I know Scarnechia is the best but isn't their anyone who has worked under him to follow some type of script?

imo winter's biggest issue are the penalties.  seems like he gets tagged at least once each game.

Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Prorated Roster Workout Other
2017 26 $1,000,000 $8,000,000 $0 $7,000,000 $0 $0 $8,000,000 4.8%  
$15,000,000
($7,000,000)
2018 27 $7,000,000 $7,000,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $7,000,000 3.9%  
$7,000,000
$0
2019 28 $6,000,000 $0 $500,000 $0 $0 $6,500,000 3.4%  
$0
$6,500,000
2020 29 $7,000,000 $0 $500,000 $0 $0 $7,500,000 3.8%  
$0
$7,500,000
Total   $21,000,000 $0 $8,000,000 $0 $0 $29,000,000    

8 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

This Oline is a dumpster fire. It's the weakest part of this team right now. They can't run the ball, can't pass block, and commit way too many penalties. I'm still trying to figure out how this team ran for 250 and 200 yards in 2 games this year. The short yardage run blocking is horrific and they have been stuffed many times. Johnson and Winters have to replaced at the very least. Spend some of that 90 mil on some Oline help please. 

Can they even move on from anyone except Johnson without a huge cap hit. Either way I think Johnson is the weakest link and he can be easily replaced. 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Starting QB and O-line, two biggest needs at current.

no doubt. the oline just doesn't do anything very well.  the key metric is the inability to convert 3rd and 1's.  part of this is the newness of the players but at some point they need to try different players and see if they can get something going.

johnson's contract expires at the end of this season.  kelvin beachum's is below.

Current Contract

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Prorated Roster Workout Other
2017 28 $1,500,000 $3,500,000 $1,500,000 $2,000,000 $0 $0 $5,000,000 3.0%  
$12,000,000
($7,000,000)
2018 29 $8,000,000 $4,000,000 $1,500,000 $0 $0 $0 $9,500,000 5.3%  
$7,000,000
$2,500,000
2019 30 $8,000,000 $1,500,000 $0 $0 $0 $9,500,000 5.0%  
$1,500,000
$8,000,000
Total   $17,500,000 $4,500,000 $2,000,000 $0 $0 $24,000,000

Just now, rangerous said:

no doubt. the oline just doesn't do anything very well.  the key metric is the inability to convert 3rd and 1's.  part of this is the newness of the players but at some point they need to try different players and see if they can get something going.

johnson's contract expires at the end of this season.  kelvin beachum's is below.

Losing Brick and Mangold, who anchored that line, and not replacing them with legit talent hurt alot.

Perhaps we need to stop drafting Defense for a year, and spend that year (or two) rebuilding the core of our Offense with high-value high-round picks.

I like a 2018 draft that has us select a QB in round 1, and two new O-linemen in Round 2.  

Just now, Warfish said:

Losing Brick and Mangold, who anchored that line, and not replacing them with legit talent hurt alot.

Perhaps we need to stop drafting Defense for a year, and spend that year (or two) rebuilding the core of our Offense with high-value high-round picks.

I like a 2018 draft that has us select a QB in round 1, and two new O-linemen in Round 2.  

i'm certainly okay with that draft scenario.  the thing is they need the oline to be established before they throw a decent qb out there.  at this point putting petty or hack in there is just a recipe for failure. and the way the contracts are, with the exception of johnson, the other guys have too much cap hit to launch before the end of next season.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We need an upgrade at Center and Tackle. Hope there are a few FA OL men soon. Surely Dallas with their stacked line, some will shake free soon, since they can keep them all?

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm starting to wonder if these pocket passers are a thing of the past. Brady is an artist moving around in the pocket & his Oline is the best coached in this league. But what other POCKET PASSERS are succeeding? Big Ben has an ALL STAR cast around him! We have Robbie Anderson/Kearse/Kerley/Forte/Powell.

I think that's the reason scouts look at a guy like Josh Allen and see potential. He's big, can move, strong arm, can throw on the run. With all of the rules given to your QB if he can move it's very tough to defend. You can throw it away out of the pocket, defenders can't touch your WRs, you can slide after running to protect yourself. Offense & a QB are far more important for success. Look at the LA Rams! They have a better DC than the Jets (Wade Phillips). It's much harder to find a QB, build an Oline and put an offense together than a defense. Look how fast the Saints have turned things around, went 7-9, 7-9, while drafting on both sides of the ball because they already HAVE THEIR QB. Although he's a pocket passer his run game & short passing game out of the backfield is top notch (Kamara & Ingram) + a true #1 WR in Michael Thomas.

The Winters contract is smartish.  He can be cut in 2019.  Next year, when the Jets want to be competitive, he will be motivated.  

We are stuck with Beachum another year.  I don't get the sense he is the weak link.  McCoy picking on Johnson and Winters yesterday basically lost the game.  They were completely overmatched.  

I don't get how you draft a situational WR when you can draft a good center in the third round (Stewart over Elflein).  

22 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Are you sure? It was a focus last offseason and you see what happened..

maybe it was in name but we didn't do much.  We have a ton of caproom to go after FAs(I am not sure who will be a FA) and we'll have upper half of each rd draft picks. 

18 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The 2015 Pro Football Writers Association of America Executive of the Year gave Beachum, Carpenter, and Winters a combined $72 million, so it's gonna be a little while.

Carpenter was a good signing.  Convenient though.  Beachum was all there was when Ferguson retired, but his play has dropped off.  And I am not sure what has happened to Winters.  He has turned into a penalty machine. 

But I get it.....everything is Mac's fault, but our next GM will have 12 pro-bowlers on the roster in one clean-sweep!~\

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I have no problem with that, or a QB and one o-lineman and filling one spot at FA.  Problem is, there is a LITTLE bit out there for LT, but they will get resigned, so the draft will have to get us a potential starter.  Beachum will be here another year thanks to contract, but...

There is a little more hope with finding a C in FA, or perhaps you get lucky and find a starting grade in the 3rd-4th round.  There is MOST definitely options at Guard, but Carpenter has been good for us, and I don't think Winters has been as bad as everyone makes him out to be (career-wise).  This year he has been a bit of a penalty machine.  You have to wonder just how bad Wesley Johnson is that perhaps he brings the play of the guards down because they are having to compensate.  Same goes for Beachum.  Shell has been alright, and with another year could be good.  And Qvale has planned decent as a fill in. 

I can't help but wonder why they don't play Dozier at C.  Can he REALLY be any worse than Johnson?

53 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Winters contract is smartish.  He can be cut in 2019.  Next year, when the Jets want to be competitive, he will be motivated.  

We are stuck with Beachum another year.  I don't get the sense he is the weak link.  McCoy picking on Johnson and Winters yesterday basically lost the game.  They were completely overmatched.  

I don't get how you draft a situational WR when you can draft a good center in the third round (Stewart over Elflein).  

There are 4-5 guys this year who might be available in the 3rd this year.  Might be a good spot to draft a guy.

18 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

JUST STAND THERE WITH YOUR STUPID ARMS FOLDED TODD, its what you do best!! Great half time adjustments BTW. Whatever you do Todd do not order Morton to go hurry up, or roll out on a few plays, or max protect, or try some trickery to fool the defense, no, he'll show you he is right by doing what they do and not deviate one bit. Keep establishing the running game Todd at 16-3.

A PENALTY ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME and on every subsequent play it seems. Second and 10-15's they run for no yards. 3rd and 1's they run for no yards. 1st and 10 we get sacked. FRIGGIN DISGUSTING FOOTBALL.

3 Points. LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ARE WE FRIGGIN CONSCIOUS? No wonder why we cannot get even 1 first down, the whole team follows its leader and IS ASLEEP.

I think I comically read someone offering this a$$clown for Coach of the year LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

TODD YOU LET RYAN FITZPATRICK BEAT YOU WITHOUT HIS #1 RECEIVER LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I am so happy I do not have to worry about the NY Jets for the rest of this season now, thank you Todd Bowltite. Again, totally awesome job having your team prepared to play football on Sunday.

Image result for todd bowles gifs

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I can't help but wonder why they don't play Dozier at C.  Can he REALLY be any worse than Johnson?

Dozier is not now, nor has he ever been a center.  He is T that moved to G.  They had him learn to snap to increase his versatility and allow them to not carry an extra C each week.  He is a center like Julian Edelman is a QB.  You will note that he has been on the team since 2014 and practicing some at C since 2015, yet every time Mangold was injured someone else took the spot.  In fact, I think they even used Winters at C in front of him.

40 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Carpenter was a good signing.  Convenient though.  Beachum was all there was when Ferguson retired, but his play has dropped off.  And I am not sure what has happened to Winters.  He has turned into a penalty machine. 

But I get it.....everything is Mac's fault, but our next GM will have 12 pro-bowlers on the roster in one clean-sweep!~\

You make these threads complaining about how various parts of the team are a disaster, then you fill your diaper when someone points out who's responsible for them. Whose fault is it that the offensive line is horrible? Whose fault is it that Skrine is getting $8.5 million this year to be one of the worst corners in the league? Do you think these contracts signed themselves?

52 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Beachum is all there was when Ferguson retired?  Ferguson retired after the 2015 season.  Beachum has been the only option available for 2 ******* years?  The GM knew Ferguson was going to retire.  In fact, the GM is the reason Ferguson retired.  Shouldn't have had a backup plan?  Even if he didn't can he still act blindsided 17 months, 2 drafts and 2 full FA periods after the announcement? 

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Beachum is all there was when Ferguson retired?  Ferguson retired after the 2015 season.  Beachum has been the only option available for 2 ******* years?  The GM knew Ferguson was going to retire.  In fact, the GM is the reason Ferguson retired.  Shouldn't have had a backup plan?  Even if he didn't can he still act blindsided 17 months, 2 drafts and 2 full FA periods after the announcement? 

We coulda had Cam Robinson  but Safeties

21 hours ago, C Mart said:

How is this possible w/officiating now? 

Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt)

11/13/17, 2:10 PM

It's been 26 quarters since an offensive lineman has been called for holding against Dallas. That seems like an extraordinary long time.

There’s offensive holding literally every play the refs arbitrarily enforce it or are doing favors for Vegas 

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

How is this possible w/officiating now? 

Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt)

11/13/17, 2:10 PM

It's been 26 quarters since an offensive lineman has been called for holding against Dallas. That seems like an extraordinary long time.

Quite easy, they do not generate pass rush from the outside most of the time, just like the Jets.  If you want to get holding calls made you will get them via the outside pass rushers where it is VERY obvious when they are getting dragged down.  Another fail on the part of the jets re team construction.

Archived