Time to see if Petty is Ready

JetNation

IMG_6605-3.jpg

The casual fan knows it, the die-hard fan know it, and despite the fact that he may not do anything about it, Todd Bowles knows it.  It’s time for Bryce Petty to take over at quarterback for the New York Jets.

Gang Green travelled down to Tampa today and suffered an embarrassing 15-10 loss at the hands of the Ryan Fitzpatrick-led Bucs in a game that saw the Jets offense score just 3 points before a garbage-time TD pass from Josh McCown to wide receiver Robby Anderson.

A feel-good win against the Buffalo Bills last week does not erase the fact that with McCown under center, the team is 1-4 in its last five games.  Surely they can get a similar performance with Bryce Petty getting some valuable live reps while also drawing some conclusions about his future with the team.  If Petty isn’t going to be a starter, will he at least earn the label of “quality back-up” moving forward?

IMG_2042-300x197.jpg

Todd Bowles has some big decisions to make during his team’s bye week.

If there’s ever a good time to break in a new quarterback, it’s now.  They’ve lost four of five heading in to their bye week.  This allows Petty extra time to prepare, and it gives offensive coordinator John Morton ample time to make a smooth transition to Petty.

Todd Bowles however, has earned a reputation as a head coach who will often play his veterans over a youngster when a change may be in order.  If that trend continues with McCown, one would have to believe that Bowles has been given no assurances from ownership that he’ll be around next season, and that he’s coaching for his job.  If that’s the case, the blame shouldn’t’ be pinned on Bowles if he truly believes McCown is the Jets’ best option at the moment.

If Bowles has been told he’ll return as long as the team’s effort remains high and improvement from his young players is evident, he’s not doing himself or the franchise any favors by sticking with the veteran in McCown.

The time is now, Todd.  We all know it, so please do something about it.  It’s Petty time.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
KEPzRdeBPbU

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's not playing anytime before the 8th loss unless there is an injury. The Jets don't believe in Petty or Hack regardless of what they say. They know their next QB isn't on the team right now.

I had no idea they had told you that? Amazing.

9 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's not playing anytime before the 8th loss unless there is an injury. The Jets don't believe in Petty or Hack regardless of what they say. They know their next QB isn't on the team right now.

Then the Jets needed to cut one of them this past summer and obtain a high quality QB pick in this last draft. 

Their strategy of hoping and wishing that QBs you don't believe in magically become good should be grounds for you to be shown the door, if that really was their plan...

The bucs showed the league how to expose McCown, if that wasnt obvious already.  Take away the run and the short passes.  He is a dink and dunk passer who occassionally makes a play scrambling.  We knew what he was coming in.  So much so, they didnt even play him in the preseason.

At the very least, give McCown a day off once a week and let Petty or Hack take the reigns with the ones.  By week 12, 13, 14..... the team will give up and we wont get to see either with hungry players, but players that mailed it in like last year.  JMO

I truly don't get the Petty hatred. He clearly improved over the offseason, his teammates love him. he had a perfect game in his last action, he has a big arm and we always knew it would take a few years to develop him, yet people seem to love spitting unfounded rhetoric like "we know he sucks" etc... and yet are OK with a QB that has ACTUALLY shown he sucks over a long career. But let's keep playing the old fugger and not even give him an opportunity to see if he build on that preseason. And news flash: McClown is running a rookie offense, he is that bad. Petty would be just at good in this offense.

IT was obvious that McCown didn't have it in the 1st qtr. We will probably find out he was injured during the game.

I have been watching the NFL for a long long long time.

the purpose of the back up QB(s) is to provide a spark in the team.

ONLY A DRONE LIKE BOWLES WOULD NOT REACT TO HIS TEAM'S POOR PLAY DURING THIS GAME.

HES A STUBORN ASS____!

IF petty and hack suck cut them now and pick up another journeyman.

This was a effffffing embarrassment 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Maybe we can get Baldy to tweet about McCown and turn this whole thing around!!

Carl - let it go man. Glenn hasn't been posting on the forums lately, so just let the old stuff go.

If you have an opinion on this article or Petty that is all fair game. But the old stuff, we don't need any of that.

I believe strongly that the time for McCown has come and gone. So I fully support a QB change. I do think they believe that Petty will never be a starting QB in this league. I am in the minority but I think there is a chance when they make a QB change, they go straight to Hackenberg. 

I am not saying Hackenberg will be good. Chances are both Petty & Hack aren't the answer.

Either way, they should bench McCown and go with Petty, I would fully support that. Start dressing the two kids and let's see if either one of them can play.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I believe strongly that the time for McCown has come and gone. So I fully support a QB change. I do think they believe that Petty will never be a starting QB in this league. I am in the minority but I think there is a chance when they make a QB change, they go straight to Hackenberg. 

I am not saying Hackenberg will be good. Chances are both Petty & Hack aren't the answer.

Either way, they should bench McCown and go with Petty, I would fully support that. Start dressing the two kids and let's see if either one of them can play.

Exactly Maxman Josh McCown has no future here and playing him is worthless and makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly Maxman Josh McCown has no future here and playing him is worthless and makes no sense. 

I would support Bilal Powell as the full time QB or even Tim Tebow the next few weeks before McCown.

A wise team makes the switch at QB over this bye week.

We will likely either not make a change at all (McCown starts all 16) or will make the change after the 8th/9th loss.

And while yes, our Oline is poor and in need of serious repair, a younger, more mobile QB should help matters.  

Hundley looked decent today (5th round pick)

Brisset seems like he is getting better as well (3rd round pick)

Beathard (3rd round pick) just beat the Giants

all of the rookies playing would have been better than McCown today - we have to see what the Jets own 2nd and 4th round picks can do on the field at some point this year, even if it is just confirming they are busts - nothing to lose at all

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ready for what?  He's already shown he is not a long term option.

Hawkeye,

Vast majority of your posts are excellent.  But I disagree here.  You may be right.  Petty is almost certainly not a long term solution.

However, I believe he has earned a chance to play in this system.   One that suits his skill set significantly better than the previous.  He also should get a shot with a TE that can actually catch the ball.

I really feel he might be a quality backup.  A couple of other teams wanted to trade for him for a reason.

Perhaps, he is good enough to bridge if the guy they draft isnt ready right away.

1 hour ago, Scoop24 said:

Yeah we kinda know this already . But he would help with the tank going forward lol

Have we really seen enough of Petty to know this for sure. He looked decent in preseason in the limited snaps he got and then he got hurt so I haven't see enough of him yet. Lets see what he can do in some real games. 

Morton & Bates have literally been magicians with this offense until today. Seeing Buffalo undressed by the Saints at home by 37 took the shine off last Thursdays win.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Jaguars win was an anomaly of playing at team burned out from their London travel a week earlier to play on the road.

So 3-7 is about right or where we should have been. Fortunately the rug was pulled out from us today by a 2-6 team with the OTHER journeyman in this league.

The defense doesn’t need much if improve the offense with more draft resources & free agency. It’s time to go 100% offense, it’s been too long. Games like today are HUGE TURNOFFS for fans in this new age of football. 

The thought of scoring only 3 points vs the 28th ranked defense in a league with 32 teams is almost unfathomable for most fans in the NFL. I want an offensive coach...PERIOD! As long as we continue to hire DCs we’ll be ignoring offense at the top of the draft. 

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Hawkeye,

Vast majority of your posts are excellent.  But I disagree here.  You may be right.  Petty is almost certainly not a long term solution.

However, I believe he has earned a chance to play in this system.   One that suits his skill set significantly better than the previous.  He also should get a shot with a TE that can actually catch the ball.

I really feel he might be a quality backup.  A couple of other teams wanted to trade for him for a reason.

Perhaps, he is good enough to bridge if the guy they draft isnt ready right away.

That's a valid point about the system I hadn't really considered.  I was less than impressed with Petty last year, but maybe another year of seasoning and a system that might be better suited to his strengths and who knows.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Morton & Bates have literally been magicians with this offense until today. Seeing Buffalo undressed by the Saints at home by 37 took the shine off last Thursdays win.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Jaguars win was an anomaly of playing at team burned out from their London travel a week earlier to play on the road.

So 3-7 is about right or where we should have been. Fortunately the rug was pulled out from us today by a 2-6 team with the OTHER journeyman in this league.

The defense doesn’t need much if improve the offense with more draft resources & free agency. It’s time to go 100% offense, it’s been too long. Games like today are HUGE TURNOFFS for fans in this new age of football. 

The thought of scoring only 3 points vs the 28th ranked defense in a league with 32 teams is almost unfathomable for most fans in the NFL. I want an offensive coach...PERIOD! As long as we continue to hire DCs we’ll be ignoring offense at the top of the draft. 

Defense still needs a CB and pass rusher but offense needs more work. QB, 2 or 3 guys on OL, another WR and RB. 

Archived