Time to see if Petty is Ready

JetNation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's try to appeal to the financial side of J&J

Attention Christopher Johnson, 3 steps to make 1 million dollars in 5-10 minutes

Step 1; Pick up or summon the use of a telephone or conferencing device 

Step 2; Call Todd Bowles

Step 3; Tell Bowles to play the rest of the season with Petty and/or Hack at QB

This saves $125k per game (McCown starting bonus) x 8 games = One Million dollars

* permission granted for JetNation to post all or parts of the post on the front page :)

If Todd Bowles starts McCown after losing to a Fitzpatrick led team missing his #1 WR this tells me two things & both of them piss me off to no end.

1- He feels neither Petty or Hack are good enough to be NFL QBs and he's absolutely not interested in the Jets future but saving his own azz in the here & now. If that's the case he should have been shown the door last year. 

2- If the above is true, with the 6th pick in the draft why are we passing on a QB like Watson who has been a winner on EVERY LEVEL? Beating Nick Saban & Alabama twice should make you take notice if you have 2 guys who you believe are not your future.

This is the perfect example why the Jets need to search for an offensive minded coach. I'm sure many Jet fans won't agree but if we're sitting in the top 5 in the draft, we should be firing Bowles & trying to hire Josh McDaniel away from the Patriots. He was too raw when he went to the Broncos & if you think about it got to the playoffs with Tim Tebow, lol. Think about that!

If we're picking top 5 (we will with a loss to the Chargers), We should have an OC on board to evaluate the QBs available and how they might fit the systems he's good at implementing. Josh would be a great teacher of the details the Pats implement, like hurry up, quick snaps, using the clock, signing offensive players. It's time, Bowles is just another DC spinning his wheels here trying to BUILD A GREAT DEFENSE. 

Look at the teams whose defenses have slipped & now they are getting slaughtered because they have no QB. The Rams have been drafting skill positions & Oline and then grabbed their QB & fired Fisher and hired an offensive coach. That's exactly what the Jets need to do this offseason. To let Todd Bowles make decisions again is utter stupidity.

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

little stalker boy, knock it off.  anything I post on here is my opinion, my opinion is more educated than the average fan and certainly more than yours.  Bowles may be stubborn and not start him at all but it goes w/o saying that when I post something like that it is my opinion.  we all post our opinions on this board and all message boards, why is this such an issue for you?

I am still waiting for your evidence that BB was mad at the Jets b/c they hired him as HC then replaced him Parcells thus blindsiding him.  Please show me this evidence, I am waiting.

Yes you have the most educated opinion ever. LOL

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The fact this is "obvious" says more about you than anything else mate.

This "young team" is as aware as all of us are that McCown is not a long term answer at QB, that McCown will not (and should not) be the starting QB of this team next year, and that they (the youngsters) will all have long careers (they hope) long after McCown is retired.

This "young team" wants a better QB with more upside and energy as much as we do.  Just ask our "young team" defense how much they love McCown today.  I bet what seemed "obvious" to you won't seem so obvious then.

Beyond that, Macc should not be running this organization based on what the "young team" wants (or us fans) anyway.  He should be running it to produce a Super Bowl champion.  McCown is not a part of that, and at 4-6, we're no longer playing for 2017, we're playing for 2018 and beyond.  McCown has no place in 2018 and beyond. 

The franchise and it's future is best served playing Petty and/or Hack.  Not because this is the "first sign of adversity".  It's not btw, McCown, despite his 70% ish comp. rate has been underwhelming most of the year, and helped us lose at least two (now three) very winnable games due to his non performance in the 4th quarters of games.

We made a good show of being competitive.  It failed, and that's over.  Bowles and his staff should certainly still play to win, thats what coaches do.  But Macc, as GM, should be running the franchise and the personnel to suit the long term best interests, that's what GM's do.  Or should do, at least.

Playing McCown serves no purpose whatsoever at this point, and no, "showing the young team blah blah adversity" is just silly.  Reality is, it shows a much better lesson...a lesson the NFL shows all the time.....produce and win, or sit down and you'll be out of the league soon.

Well said. I was okay with McCown setting the stage so to speak this year regarding the implementation of this new WCO, but after wanting to to shove needles in my eyes observing his sh*tshow yesterday, was thinking if Petty & Hack can't play even to what we witnessed Bowles & Macc need to be jettisoned. It's that simple. I refuse to watch another game this year with McCown wasting these last 6 training games. Losing to our past loser QB, with a performance as bad as McCown had is the last straw for me. This team has to turn the f*cking page with these old retread QBs or lose their entire fan base.

6 hours ago, Pac said:

You show your young team that at the first sign of adversity you don't curl up in the fetal position and succumb to whining fans. 

This is pretty obvious stuff here.  At least to me anyway.

So it takes a 1-4'streak to officially consider it the first sign?  So when is the 2nd sign bye week 2018 McCown on a 2-15 streak?

I really believe that somewhere in Bowles' career whether as a coach or as a player that he was on a team where the head coach constantly made QB changes and that annoyed Bowles, so he vowed if he ever became a head coach he won't make QB changes and will ride it out with whoever he has as his starter. 

6 hours ago, Pac said:

You show your young team that at the first sign of adversity you don't curl up in the fetal position and succumb to whining fans. 

This is pretty obvious stuff here.  At least to me anyway.

Playing young players in otherwise meaningless games is somehow curling up in the fetal position? At some point you have to play younger players and see if they can do the job. There is no future in playing Mccown, but there may be in Petty or Hackenberg. You won't know that unless and until you play them. And really the very worst case scenario is Petty is actually really good, but nobody knows that until he goes someplace else and plays. Now may be both fail, but you have to play them to find out. 

There was no reason to play Mccown as far back as opening day, and there's less of any reason to play him now. But that's what you get when your franchise is run by idiots. 

Not playing QBs you drafted is definitional curling up in the fetal position.

1 minute ago, August said:

I really believe that somewhere in Bowles' career whether as a coach or as a player that he was on a team where the head coach constantly made QB changes and that annoyed Bowles, so he vowed if he ever became a head coach he won't make QB changes and will ride it out with whoever he has as his starter. 

Bowles went into this job thinking he could skip the hard part of 1. finding a young QB and 2. developing young QB. You'd think this was Bowles' last job of his career after multiple stints of being a HC. The outright negligence to the QB position over the last 3 years has been insane.

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bowles went into this job thinking he could skip the hard part of 1. finding a young QB and 2. developing young QB. You'd think this was Bowles' last job of his career after multiple stints of being a HC. The outright negligence to the QB position over the last 3 years has been insane.

The problem is he doesn't know when to make the change. He had times where he could've made a change in '15 and he never did. He had chances to make a change in '16 and you literally had to pull his teeth for it to happen. This year he's making the same mistake.  

15 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Hundley looked decent today (5th round pick)

Brisset seems like he is getting better as well (3rd round pick)

Beathard (3rd round pick) just beat the Giants

all of the rookies playing would have been better than McCown today - we have to see what the Jets own 2nd and 4th round picks can do on the field at some point this year, even if it is just confirming they are busts - nothing to lose at all

Meanwhile Christian Hackenberg holds a clipboard in street clothes......Thanks Macc 

16 hours ago, JiF said:

McCown should have never taken a snap this season, so of course it’s Petty time but I’ve got a strong feeling we don’t see anyone but McCown all season long. 

That’s the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This is why Mac and Bowles both need to be fired at season’s end. McCown should never have been signed in the first place. Petty should have been named the starter and Hack backing him up. If neither did anything to warrant them being a long term solution then you just deal with the season as a growing experience for all the young players. Having McCown continue is an absolute farce, has destroyed any chance of acquiring a top pick and has taken away valuable opportunity for Petty and Hack to gain live reps.  It has served ZERO purpose other than to save Mac’s face and it has backfired. 

I'm not sure Petty would have done any better yesterday but I think at this point there isn't much to lose by playing him or Hack. I do think that the team believes the QB of the future is not on the roster, they gave the young guys every opportunity to try and win the job this preseason and neither one could really prove anything. Playing one of the young guys would keep me interested further into the season at least.

19 minutes ago, BigO said:

That’s the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This is why Mac and Bowles both need to be fired at season’s end. McCown should never have been signed in the first place. Petty should have been named the starter and Hack backing him up. If neither did anything to warrant them being a long term solution then you just deal with the season as a growing experience for all the young players. Having McCown continue is an absolute farce, has destroyed any chance of acquiring a top pick and has taken away valuable opportunity for Petty and Hack to gain live reps.  It has served ZERO purpose other than to save Mac’s face and it has backfired. 

You expected them to name Petty the starter in the off-season when based on what they know they did everything they could to shoehorn Hackenberg in front of him?  Hackenberg was the #2 going into camp and played himself into sweatpants.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:43 AM, mkajet01 said:

Read article after game Fitz says he loves petty his potential is huge! Then asked about hack he said he's a good kid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If somehow this organization lets Petty go and he becomes a competent starter somewhere else I will personally take out ads to bad mouth this team for the next ten years. 

If Bowles and the coaching staff are making all of their decisions based on those four games that Petty played with that supporting cast, with an OC, who is no longer here and for whom no QB played well for well.....

Good Grief!!!

I think too many of our fans just concentrate on one position: Qb. What the Jets are doing is building a defense (look we almost always draft our no. 1 pick on defense and it's working). And on offense we have some talent. It's not there yet even at Qb. But we have some of the pieces like Robby and ASJ, Bilal.  Also you want to build a winning culture. When our young players are busting their asses on Sundays trying to win games (even though they make lots of mistakes) you don't want to pull the plug on them and go to your backup Qb just to give him a tryout. Tryouts are like Bowles says for the pre-season. The message you are giving your players then is you don't care about winning. Look, I agree that Petty should get some starts this season. But not until the team is eliminated or if McCown is terrible or injured. 

At 4-6 I see no reason why Petty should not be starting in two weeks against Carolina.

McCown did a journeyman's job in getting this offense back into some kind of order, now let Petty finish out the season, see if he has what it takes to be a career backup and start looking at 2018 and go find a starter. Doesn't matter if it a kid in the draft, Cousins, Alex Smith or if the Colts are dumb enough (And they are) to deal Luck.

Go find me a #1 WR in the draft and for the love of god please start rebuilding that OL. They stink

There was never any reason to start McCown. This team had absolutely no chance at contending and since that was and now still is the case we should have just gone with our young QBs in what would have been a win/win situation. Either Petty or Hackenberg surprised us all and showed that they are the future or the Jets end up with 2 or less wins and get a top QB in 2018.

The problem with this organization is that there is no plan. We are not contending yet we are not rebuilding either. We get rid of vets like Marshall, Revis, and Decker which was the right thing to do yet we bring in McCown and Kerley to start.

Just do the right thing and hire John Dorsey now and cut bait with Maccagnan and Bowles at the end of the year. Then do whatever it takes to trade up for Darnold or Rosen. 

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I’m starting to agree. Put petty in for 4 int performance to silence this crowd 

Ok fine whatever the outcome it is, you either play Petty or Hackenberg, we know Josh McCown isn't the answer if they all suck we clean house at QB and start over.  Other teams bring in guys we could have signed who are playing much better football than our QB. Does the name Case Keenum ring a bell? 

17 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Then the Jets needed to cut one of them this past summer and obtain a high quality QB pick in this last draft. 

Their strategy of hoping and wishing that QBs you don't believe in magically become good should be grounds for you to be shown the door, if that really was their plan...

I somewhat agree. I think the team should be drafting a QB in some round in every draft until they feel they have somebody they can trust. Petty and or Hack are going to get a chance at some point this season. But realistically the Jets probably know neither is their guy. I just believe if they thought they were then one of them would have been the starter from game 1. Just my opinion. I think there is still some hope in the organization that Hack can put it all together which is why he is still on the team and I bet they think Petty can play, but just isn't a long term answer at the position. A possible backup to hopefully a franchise QB in the next draft. Both players were projects coming out of college

Petty will get a shot at some point this season, but not while the season is technically still alive. Me and you know the season is over for the Jets. But the Jets aren't eliminated from playoff contention yet, they could technically roll off 6 straight wins and make the playoffs, so until they lose that magical 8th game, I bet they go with the guy who they feel still gives them the best chance to win.

7 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Petty looked fairly good at the conclusion of training camp and should get a shot to see how he has developed. Sorry but Hack has shown nothing so far and needs to sit and learn and hopefully develop. 

Hahahahahaha “looked good in training camp” 

The Patriots drafted Garopollo in the second round, had him step in and win some games while TB was suspended and injured, and then traded him for a second round pick higher than what they used.

The Patriots drafted Jacoby Brisset in the third round, and then traded him for a WR they needed when Edelman got hurt.

The Jets at this point have Petty.  He is unknown to the rest of the league.  It is possible he offers as good as, or better, chance of winning if for no other reason than he is the unknown quantity and maybe makes less big mistakes than McCown did.  All that being said, I don't think McCown is the reason that the Jets lost yesterday or in many of their other games-its the overall lack of offensive talent.

So Petty can surprise some people and possible create for the Jets and himself some market value.  Maybe the Jets can trade him and go into next season with McCown, draft pick and Hack, and then we do the same with Hack?

Ohe reason that the Jets were projected to be so bad this year was their end of season schedule.  The easy game is the Chargers, and they will not be easy (although they tend to fold in NY in December).   

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The fact this is "obvious" says more about you than anything else mate.

This "young team" is as aware as all of us are that McCown is not a long term answer at QB, that McCown will not (and should not) be the starting QB of this team next year, and that they (the youngsters) will all have long careers (they hope) long after McCown is retired.

This "young team" wants a better QB with more upside and energy as much as we do.  Just ask our "young team" defense how much they love McCown today.  I bet what seemed "obvious" to you won't seem so obvious then.

Beyond that, Macc should not be running this organization based on what the "young team" wants (or us fans) anyway.  He should be running it to produce a Super Bowl champion.  McCown is not a part of that, and at 4-6, we're no longer playing for 2017, we're playing for 2018 and beyond.  McCown has no place in 2018 and beyond. 

The franchise and it's future is best served playing Petty and/or Hack.  Not because this is the "first sign of adversity".  It's not btw, McCown, despite his 70% ish comp. rate has been underwhelming most of the year, and helped us lose at least two (now three) very winnable games due to his non performance in the 4th quarters of games.

We made a good show of being competitive.  It failed, and that's over.  Bowles and his staff should certainly still play to win, thats what coaches do.  But Macc, as GM, should be running the franchise and the personnel to suit the long term best interests, that's what GM's do.  Or should do, at least.

Playing McCown serves no purpose whatsoever at this point, and no, "showing the young team blah blah adversity" is just silly.  Reality is, it shows a much better lesson...a lesson the NFL shows all the time.....produce and win, or sit down and you'll be out of the league soon.

Playing McClown NEVER served any purpose other than to possibly "break in" the OL and possibly to placate the few veterans we have, but preseason interviews with players, even the veterans suggest that Petty was their guy not McClown. Bowles is just stupidly stubborn about his veteran QBs, He has shown that over and over and over. He kept McClown out of the preseason so he couldnt screw it up.

There's no reason not to start Petty the rest of the way.  It made no sense to start McCown to start the year, and it makes even less sense now at 4-6.  Most fans could have lived with a terrible year with Petty at the helm because it least he got the chance to prove himself.  Having a bad year with a 38 year old journeyman QB  who is just good enough to win 5-6 games but not bad enough to secure a top 3 draft pick for the team is just an asinine approach to getting this organization on the right track and proves that this clueless team is doomed to mediocrity forever. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

There's no reason not to start Petty the rest of the way.  It made no sense to start McCown to start the year, and it makes even less sense now at 4-6.  Most fans could have lived with a terrible year with Petty at the helm because it least he got the chance to prove himself.  Having a bad year with a 38 year old journeyman QB  who is just good enough to win 5-6 games but not bad enough to secure a top 3 draft pick for the team is just an asinine approach to getting this organization on the right track and proves that this clueless team is doomed to mediocrity forever. 

There will be a lot of chatter about it this bye week.

Archived