Time to see if Petty is Ready

JetNation

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I think too many of our fans just concentrate on one position: Qb. What the Jets are doing is building a defense (look we almost always draft our no. 1 pick on defense and it's working). And on offense we have some talent. It's not there yet even at Qb. But we have some of the pieces like Robby and ASJ, Bilal.  Also you want to build a winning culture. When our young players are busting their asses on Sundays trying to win games (even though they make lots of mistakes) you don't want to pull the plug on them and go to your backup Qb just to give him a tryout. Tryouts are like Bowles says for the pre-season. The message you are giving your players then is you don't care about winning. Look, I agree that Petty should get some starts this season. But not until the team is eliminated or if McCown is terrible or injured. 

McClown is a loser. He is hurting this team. It is reasonable to expect that Petty would play at a similar level, and no one knows what he will develop into until he gets more game experience. And once again, he was noticeably improved over last season especially in accuracy and command of the offense and had a perfect game against mostly Giants starters in last preseason game. Why would anyone NOT want to see what he has. McClown is a PROVEN loser. 6-26 in his last 32 starts. How does he give us "the best chance to win". He is 38. He has NO future here. It is SO frustrating people just dismissing Petty out of hand, but wanting the crappy vet to start, it makes ZERO sense.

And here is another crap thing about McClown. He does not really even TRY to win. He tries to pad his stats. On EVERY single 3rd and long he is throwing to the check down guy. Every time. It pads his stats and people can then say..."ooooh he has a 70% completion rate"  News flash: ALL QBs have a similar completion percentage on complete dinks and dunks.

Another frustrating thing. In Hacks first preseason game, they ran EXACTLY the offense we are running in the regular season, and Hack performed just like McClown is. The for the next 3 games they experimented with the offense, running lots and lots of deep passing plays and long developing plays. Hack wilted bad. Petty interestingly threw up a perfect game in that offense, but yeah lets play the 38 year old QB that was 2-20 coming into the season and has consistently CHOKED in the 4th quarter this season.

It is ALL about the QB. And we need to develop one. How does benching your two young QBs, trotting out a 38 year old POS, finishing 5-11 and having zero answers at QB help this team exactly?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Playing McClown NEVER served any purpose other than to possibly "break in" the OL and possibly to placate the few veterans we have, but preseason interviews with players, even the veterans suggest that Petty was their guy not McClown. Bowles is just stupidly stubborn about his veteran QBs, He has shown that over and over and over. He kept McClown out of the preseason so he couldnt screw it up.

I don't remember preseason interviews with players, where the veterans suggested that Petty was their guy not McCown.

19 hours ago, hawk said:

The bucs showed the league how to expose McCown, if that wasnt obvious already.  Take away the run and the short passes.  He is a dink and dunk passer who occassionally makes a play scrambling.  We knew what he was coming in.  So much so, they didnt even play him in the preseason.

At the very least, give McCown a day off once a week and let Petty or Hack take the reigns with the ones.  By week 12, 13, 14..... the team will give up and we wont get to see either with hungry players, but players that mailed it in like last year.  JMO

the bucs didn't show anyone anything.  all of the nfl teams already knew what mccown's limitations are.  the whole reason why the jets lost is poor performance by the oline.  they couldn't run block.  they can't get 1 yard reliably. i'm not sure where the issue lies.  could be personnel, could be not playing as a unit long enough, could be their blocking schemes stink.  one thing is for sure, putting petty or hack behind that line is inviting failure.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You expected them to name Petty the starter in the off-season when based on what they know they did everything they could to shoehorn Hackenberg in front of him?  Hackenberg was the #2 going into camp and played himself into sweatpants.

Doesn’t matter what they thought if either Petty or Hack started. At least they gain experience and if they poop the bed, we get a high pick.  On the other hand, if Petty or Hack shines or shows something, it helps in their further evaluation. Mac doesn’t look like a moron in this scenario. By signing and forcing McCown on us, who is a relic, a hasbeen, a wasted endeavor, it proves absolutely nothing.  The only thing I can fathom Mac thinking by having signed  McCown for this year is that he intends to acquire a high priced FA QB like a Cousins or trade for one next year.  We’ve damn near x’d ourselves out of the top 3 qb’s in the draft and it will cost a fortune to move up. Resigning McCown to again start would be managerial suicide. 

14 minutes ago, BigO said:

Doesn’t matter what they thought if either Petty or Hack started. At least they gain experience and if they poop the bed, we get a high pick.  On the other hand, if Petty or Hack shines or shows something, it helps in their further evaluation. Mac doesn’t look like a moron in this scenario. By signing and forcing McCown on us, who is a relic, a hasbeen, a wasted endeavor, it proves absolutely nothing.  The only thing I can fathom Mac thinking by having signed  McCown for this year is that he intends to acquire a high priced FA QB like a Cousins or trade for one next year.  We’ve damn near x’d ourselves out of the top 3 qb’s in the draft and it will cost a fortune to move up. Resigning McCown to again start would be managerial suicide. 

Not that I disagree with much of this, but from what I have seen of Hackenberg the more he plays the worse Maccagnan (and everybody else looks).  He does not seem like he should have been drafted at all, let alone in the 2nd round.  By not playing him at all, there are still people here posting and thinking he can play or will be able to play or whatever their addled minds can come up with.

23 minutes ago, rangerous said:

shelly wanted petty.

Incorrect.

Does Richardson think the quarterback battle is between McCown and Petty? “That’s just how I feel,” Richardson said. “Me personally.”

“Slowly progressing … still got a little ways to go. … He’s getting better every day … that’s pretty much it. Slowly progressing, man,” Richardson said on Hackenburg

http://nypost.com/2017/05/30/a-cannon-what-hackenbergs-jets-mates-say-about-him/

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not that I disagree with much of this, but from what I have seen of Hackenberg the more he plays the worse Maccagnan (and everybody else looks).  He does not seem like he should have been drafted at all, let alone in the 2nd round.  By not playing him at all, there are still people here posting and thinking he can play or will be able to play or whatever their addled minds can come up with.

If he plays and sucks it looks better for Mac than not playing at all.  At least he can say ‘hey I drafted him, played him and it was a mistake’. We all make mistakes.  By not allowing him to even sniff the field just makes Mac look totally clueless and a horrible evaluator. Name 1 QB drafted this high who didn’t even play? I mean it’s just hysterical. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

It guarantees that we lose two more games. Not sure of anything beyond that.

The next 2 we lose- Panthers and KC. It’s the ones after that which are up in the air. Starting McCown in those games risks any chance of getting a decent pick. 

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Petty seems like a great kid. But he's not a starter, nor is Hack, so I'm not really "outraged" about who Bowles starts.

Our ire should be directed at the person who put this stable of QB's together, it's entirely his responsibility and fault....

Josh McCown seems like a nice guy, family man but hasn't history already proved him to be an NFL loser yet NY Jets management decided to sign him and head coach Todd Bowles decided to start him. 

Macc has failed us in acquiring a decent QB in his 3 year run as GM. 

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

little stalker boy, knock it off.  anything I post on here is my opinion, my opinion is more educated than the average fan and certainly more than yours.  Bowles may be stubborn and not start him at all but it goes w/o saying that when I post something like that it is my opinion.  we all post our opinions on this board and all message boards, why is this such an issue for you?

I am still waiting for your evidence that BB was mad at the Jets b/c they hired him as HC then replaced him Parcells thus blindsiding him.  Please show me this evidence, I am waiting.

More junc science with a little twist of inflated self esteem.

Personally I think it's time to start Petty too. At 4-6 the team is effectively eliminated from the playoffs, and with a BYE week it's time to give the kid six games. I'm confident he's not the answer but there's nothing to be gained from playing McCown. 

Bowles probably won't start him until the team has 9 losses though. I'm gonna guess one of the young QBs starts against the Chargers on X-Mas Eve.

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There were, actually.  One of them got traded though.

Does Richardson think the quarterback battle is between McCown and Petty? “That’s just how I feel,” Richardson said. “Me personally.”

“Slowly progressing … still got a little ways to go. … He’s getting better every day … that’s pretty much it. Slowly progressing, man,” Richardson said on Hackenburg

http://nypost.com/2017/05/30/a-cannon-what-hackenbergs-jets-mates-say-about-him/

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

A wise team makes the switch at QB over this bye week.

We will likely either not make a change at all (McCown starts all 16) or will make the change after the 8th/9th loss.

And while yes, our Oline is poor and in need of serious repair, a younger, more mobile QB should help matters.  

The Jets will make the switch when they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs....Until that time Bowles will start the best QB on his roster because his job is to win games; and the Best QB on the roster is McCown.   That is not his Bowles fault.

10 minutes ago, LWC611 said:

The Jets will make the switch when they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs....Until that time Bowles will start the best QB on his roster because his job is to win games; and the Best QB on the roster is McCown.   That is not his Bowles fault.

LOL... No one knows for sure with 100% certainty that McCown is the best QB on the roster. I also don't trust a damn word that Bowles says about players. He is clueless. Mathematically eliminated from the playoffs... is that week 13? or 14? and then what you get 2 games to see if Bowles' staff has made any developmental improvement with Petty. We all know Hack is a longggggggggggggg shot. He doesn't show anything during the preseason games. 

The more things change the more they stay the same. Bowles.... You suck, please, resign from HC of the NY Jets. We can hire a DC that can get no worse than the level of Defensive performance that you are. Get a HC that knows what the heck a good QB is and how to utilize one.

1 hour ago, LWC611 said:

I agree, the switch will not be made until the Jets are either math. out, or all but math. out.

But I disagree, Bowles hasn't played the best QB yet.  McCown is simply not the best QB on this roster, he's just the most veteran, safe and milktoast.

Bowles has no balls.  He's a eunuch.  A spineless man who lacks the needed backbone to lead an NFL team.  That's why he plays McCown, not because McCown is a better QB than Petty today.  He simply isn't.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree, the switch will not be made until the Jets are either math. out, or all but math. out.

But I disagree, Bowles hasn't played the best QB yet.  McCown is simply not the best QB on this roster, he's just the most veteran, safe and milktoast.

Bowles has no balls.  He's a eunuch.  A spineless man who lacks the needed backbone to lead an NFL team.  That's why he plays McCown, not because McCown is a better QB than Petty today.  He simply isn't.

Todd Bowles is a bottom feeder NFL head coach if not for the NY Jets he wouldn't be an  NFL head coach. 

Mike Maccagnan is a bottom feeder GM if not for the NY Jets he wouldn't be a GM in the NFL. 

Josh McCown is a bottom feeder NFL QB if not for the NY Jets he wouldn't be a QB in the NFL. 

See the pattern. 

Here's a question.

Let's say we give one of the younger guys the last 6 games. Is there any scenario that comes out of those last 6 games that answers the QB question such that we DON'T sign / draft a QB next year?

I honestly don't think any 6 game span can be considered enough to say "we've got our guy". All it can do is prove that we don't ... which is no different from where we stand right now.

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles is a bottom feeder NFL head coach if not for the NY Jets he wouldn't be an  NFL head coach. 

Mike Maccagnan is a bottom feeder GM if not for the NY Jets he wouldn't be a GM in the NFL. 

Josh McCown is a bottom feeder NFL QB if not for the NY Jets he wouldn't be a QB in the NFL. 

See the pattern. 

All three of those statements are wrong 

but it I do agree with the premises that your going with 

22 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Here's a question.

Let's say we give one of the younger guys the last 6 games. Is there any scenario that comes out of those last 6 games that answers the QB question such that we DON'T sign / draft a QB next year?

I honestly don't think any 6 game span can be considered enough to say "we've got our guy". All it can do is prove that we don't ... which is no different from where we stand right now.

I sort of agree, leaving it to late makes things inevitable.

I won't be surprised if Hack and Petty arnt on the team next year. It's "Operation Panic" (QB at all costs) next off season.

If Bowles/Macc are still about, they may keep McCown has a mentor to the Rookie. Either that or we are paying Kirk $30 mill per.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Here's a question.

No. 

New QB is definite for 2018

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Here's a question.

Was trying to figure out how I wanted to phrase this but you did it perfectly. Here's an upvote.

Sure I'd love to see Petty play but no matter how he plays we are going to address QB this off season. I think we'll target Cousins as our top FA, if we miss out on that then we will look towards the draft. I think the team likes McCown as the vet on the team so I think Brees and Smith are not options as a stop gap. (He's also far cheaper) I don't believe we make a push for Tyrod or Bridgewater, if we do then I think it means we like Lamar Jackson in the draft. I have no idea which direction we want to go.

Archived