QB or I’m done

Jetster

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

These SOJ games are always the same. It was like this back when the Colts were in our division & you see it every time you get dragged back on board. 

You know deep down in your soul whether it’s Fitz or McCown that the Jets are just adrift in a QB less ocean without a paddle. 

I have no idea why Mcaggnon didn’t pull the trigger on Watson but my entire interest in the NFL & my Jets in particular has been waning. Todays sh*t fest on offense is the last straw. I won’t watch another game if McCown is trotted out again after the bye & I promise you I’m 100% done with this team next year to if they don’t do WHATEVER they need to do to get a competent QB on this team! Whether it’s paying Cousins a small fortune or trading whatever it takes to get 1 of the top guys coming out or lucking out with the 3rd, 4th or 5th pick & someone falls, but if they don’t pull out EVERY STOP to try & end the QB dry spell I will seriously take anything that I own that says Jets on it, throw it in the trash & move on with my life! The idea that Bowles has concluded that Petty & Hack are worse than starting McCown from this point on makes me want to PUNCH HIM RIGHT IN HIS CIGAR STORE INDIAN FACE FOR NOT DRAFTING WATSON!

End Rant!

i get your rant about the qb but the real problem with this team is the oline.  these guys just don't run or pass block very well.  and if they do manage to run block or pass protect there's usually a penalty involved.  they can't get even 1 yd reliably. a qb would help but even there mccown does get rid of the ball pretty quick.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JiF said:

I agree with your point, to an extent.  QB's can be found all over the place.  Though, stats show the best chances are in the 1st 2 rounds.  However, draft position 100% means something.  Some of those teams you mentioned had to give up draft stock to move up and select said player, in those instances...draft position means a sh*t ton.  It's 100000x better for the team to not have to give up extra picks to move up and find their QB.

some of the teams had to move up and we may have to if there is a possibility but those teams, outside of Indy, didn't tank or lose games just to get a top pick.  as long as you have the right people in place(I think that is still TBD w/ Macc & co.) you can find talent anywhere and maneuver up or down to make big moves.

13 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Cowboys didn't and aren't building "around" elite Dak Prescott, the Texans didn't and aren't building around Deshaun Watson.  The Eagles didn't build around Carson Wentz.  These teams had already built the core of their teams, and added the QB in as the last piece.  

but, once these teams realized they had qbs who could ball, they altered their offenses to feature them.  that's why houston's offense hung 38 on seattle, and why the eagles went out and got jeffries and torrey smith.  the reality that the cowboys were content to enter the post-romo era with elliott as the main offensive weapon didn't stop the cowboys from allowing prescott enough opportunity to win nfc offensive rookie of the year.

the more things change the more things stay the same.  looking at the nfl standings right now, the qbs of teams in first place:  brady, rothlesburger, mariotta, alex smith, wentz, brees and goff.  the only outlier is keenum, who probably wouldn't be in first if rodgers were healthy.  here you have a great combination of hall of fame qbs in brady/big ben/brees, and new qbs tearing it up in wentz/goff/mariotta.  this is still how you win games, how you win divisions, how you get bye weeks.  

look at teams with the worst records in the nfl, none of them have even close long-term answers at qb:  jets/browns/giants/colts (luck's future in doubt)/broncos/chargers/49ers (garropolo hasn't played yet). 

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Say what???????????

Cousins said last week he prefers to play with the 49ers because of Shannahan or he stays in Washington,Alex Smith may resign with KC and the jets won't have a high enough pick to get Darold or Rosen so we are stuck with who we have have for at least another two years I know it!!! 2 more years with the McCown,Petty,Hackenburg trio!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!

12 hours ago, Pac said:

You're arguing with shadows.  The only people who ever floated this idea that the Jets were content at QB are the Ilk and their sympathizers.  No rationale minded fan ever said they should stand pat with McCown, Petty, and Hack.

of course drafting or targeting a QB in FA is the teams #1 goal.

What was the team's #1 goal this past off-season?  The off-season before that?  Better safety play? Faster interior linebacking?

14 minutes ago, skippyy said:

Cousins said last week he prefers to play with the 49ers because of Shannahan or he stays in Washington,Alex Smith may resign with KC and the jets won't have a high enough pick to get Darold or Rosen so we are stuck with who we have have for at least another two years I know it!!! 2 more years with the McCown,Petty,Hackenburg trio!!!! Unbelievable!!!!!

C.R.E.A.M.

15 hours ago, afjetsfan said:

I think we move up and get "the guy" for this draft.  3 first rounders?....sure, no problem.  Whatever it takes.  Gotta get that QB!

"  ..Gotta get that QB ! "...

darnold-signing-day-thumb-800x533-50870.

dear   afjetsfan, 

i agree !  :cool:

sincerely,  kelly ~ ~ 

:beer:

The bottom line is that Mac has forced his own hand by not adequately addressing the QB position in 3 years as a GM.  He needs to do whatever it takes to get a legitimate QB on this team in 2018 via the draft or free agency.  If he likes one of the QB's in the draft, he needs to trade up to get him if necessary.  If he goes the FA, route, he needs to make an offer to whoever his target is that cannot be refused.  If he swings and misses again, there will be no year 5 for him. 

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

The bottom line is that Mac has forced his own hand by not adequately addressing the QB position in 3 years as a GM.  He needs to do whatever it takes to get a legitimate QB on this team in 2018 via the draft or free agency.  If he likes one of the QB's in the draft, he needs to trade up to get him if necessary.  If he goes the FA, route, he needs to make an offer to whoever his target is that cannot be refused.  If he swings and misses again, there will be no year 5 for him. 

I agree. But it seems that alot of people think he will chicken out. He can't afford to, otherwise he's gone

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I agree. But it seems that alot of people think he will chicken out. He can't afford to, otherwise he's gone

I don't think he chickens out but I doubt he swings for the fence trading the farm to draft a QB. I see him over paying for Cousins or Smith if available. I see him overpaying for second tier QBs as well. I don't see him trading numerous first or whatever else to move up to draft a young QB. After drafting Hack the way he did pretty sure we don't want him to. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I don't think he chickens out but I doubt he swings for the fence trading the farm to draft a QB. I see him over paying for Cousins or Smith if available. I see him overpaying for second tier QBs as well. I don't see him trading numerous first or whatever else to move up to draft a young QB. After drafting Hack the way he did pretty sure we don't want him to. 

Wouldnt want Smith. Cousins is very interesting however. There are others too who will be fascinating. Bradford, Keenum will probably get paid as well.

The bottom line is that he has to answer the QB question is some long term fashion

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the best QB(so far) from this past draft was drafted 12th

2016- Goff and Wents have been great year 2 but it's rare to see 2 top QBs go 1-2 and live up to those draft rankings

2015-Winston & Mariota went 1-2 and have been the only decent QBs from that draft but neither is close to being very good.

2014- Derek Carr went in round 2

2013- no good QBs, EJ Manuel went in 1st rd

2012- Luck is a star when he's healthy but it's been a long time since that happened.  other 1st rd QBs that year- RG III, Tannehill. Weeden- all average to bad QBs in this league.  The best QB was probably Wilson who was drafted round 3 and Kirk Cousins drafted round 4.

draft position guarantees NOTHING.

Cool. So the giants will trade their top 3 pick for a hoard of great draft picks, and then pick another franchise qb in the late 1st? This yr is different. The past few yrs qbs with a 2nd round grade were pushed to the front simply because they were qbs. Especially in 15. Mark Sanchez was not a top 10 pick obviosuly.. This yr many qb are top grades. 

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Cool. So the giants will trade their top 3 pick for a hoard of great draft picks, and then pick another franchise qb in the late 1st? This yr is different. The past few yrs qbs with a 2nd round grade were pushed to the front simply because they were qbs. Especially in 15. Mark Sanchez was not a top 10 pick obviosuly.. This yr many qb are top grades. 

1. This is what they should do. Because if yesterday is any indication, the Giants need a lot of help.

2. I'm not so sure about that anymore.  

It would just be very interesting to me to see a team that is 1-15 (the Giants) take with the first overall pick, a player that is not going to immediately help the solution within one year.

Jacksonville and the Rams tried this strategy with Bortles and Goff and both ended up playing in their first year.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It would just be very interesting to me to see a team that is 1-15 (the Giants) take with the first overall pick, a player that is not going to immediately help the solution within one year.

Jacksonville and the Rams tried this strategy with Bortles and Goff and both ended up playing in their first year.

The only reason it will be interesting is because it appears that Jerry Reese is a moron.  

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

Like Hack?  I feel so reassured.  Time to get rid of the GM and HC

DO you know who Akiva Goldsman is? He wrote the screenplay for the movie "A Beautiful Mind" an oscar winning film.

You know what other screenplay he wrote? "Batman and Robin" arguably the worst superhero film ever created.

One bad film does not make a screenwriter and One bad QB pick does not make a GM,

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

DO you know who Akiva Goldsman is? He wrote the screenplay for the movie "A Beautiful Mind" an oscar winning film.

You know what other screenplay he wrote? "Batman and Robin" arguably the worst superhero film ever created.

One bad film does not make a screenwriter and One bad QB pick does not make a GM,

This is your example?  He didn't "write" A Beautiful Mind.  He adapted it from a Pulitzer Prize nominated novel.  He also didn't write I am Legend (Richard Matheson - already a movie 2 or 3 times over - Last Man on Earth, Omega Man, arguably Night of the Living Dead), The Client (John Grisham), The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) or I, Robot (Isaac Asimov - this was a book of short stories, but I think it was mostly cribbed from a completely different guy's screenplay).  Maybe Maccagnan should find somebody really talented that wrote a novel and then he can adapt the screenplay because going from scratch we are getting Batman & Robin

22 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

When I die, in lieu of an obituary, I just want the newspaper to print this.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is your example?  He didn't "write" A Beautiful Mind.  He adapted it from a Pulitzer Prize nominated novel.  He also didn't write I am Legend (Richard Matheson - already a movie 2 or 3 times over - Last Man on Earth, Omega Man, arguably Night of the Living Dead), The Client (John Grisham), The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown) or I, Robot (Isaac Asimov - this was a book of short stories, but I think it was mostly cribbed from a completely different guy's screenplay).  Maybe Maccagnan should find somebody really talented that wrote a novel and then he can adapt the screenplay because going from scratch we are getting Batman & Robin

I think it takes just as much talent to write a screenplay as it is to adapt, but that’s neither nor there.

Im not saying Macc isn’t going to **** it up. He very easily could. What I’m saying is that I don’t think you can assume he’s going to based off of one draft pick. That’s a small sample. If or when he ****s it up, I will go on the record and call for him to be fired. But until then what’s the point of assuming the worst? Assume nothing

Archived