Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JiF said:

The population of this board largerly thought Watson was a 3rd round prospect at best, yet 90% of you are drooling over Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson.

Cant make this sh*t up. 

I think it' a small group for Jackson. It's true. Most fans are pretending they wanted Watson. I'm not pretending to be able to judge QBs. But I see an Uber productive player with incredible athleticism with Jackson. 

Well I was on the Watson bandwagon from the get go and I have been on the Mayfield bandwagon before the 90%. Like a hit record those guys just have IT. I think Mayfield will be there when the Jets pick because I see them winning at most one more game. That's based on the upcoming schedule and yesterdays performance. I don't think Macchole will draft him. I believe Macchole will stick to his BPA bullsh*t then draft a QB with one of the 2 second round picks. Its his M.O. and he will stick too it. That's why he's Macchole.

8 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I like Baker Mayfield he's good.

He's very good.  Just like every other QB in the conference.

I'm going to say this about Baker Mayfield, he has an incredible competitive spirit to him.  He's the type of guy, you don't bet against even when all signs point to, he's not going to be very good at the next level.  So, that makes his evaluation hard because everything I want to point out and say that  worries me...all kind of ends with, yeah but I could see this little dude making it happen by sheer competitive will.

Now, I've watched more Big 12 Football than I care to this year trying to get a read on him and Mason Rudolf and just like every other year, it's damn near impossible.  That conference doesn't play traditional Football.  It's like flag football meets arena league.  They literally have never heard the word defense.  It's crazy.  Guys are wide open, all the time.  Literally every throw these guys make are to wide open receivers.  And these QB's have all day to throw.   It makes it hard to watch.  Literally the worst brand of Football I've ever seen.  I legit prefer Canadian League Football to Big 12 Football.  And then when you factor that in to the analysis, you can't help but point out that no Big 12 QB has ever had NFL success.  It just doesn't translate to the NFL.  And Oklahoma is the alpha in the conference more so than any other conference (outside of Bama obviously), so their is just a huge competitive edge too.

I don't know man, I wouldn't touch Mayfield or Rudolf with a 10 foot pole but man, I wouldn't be shocked if Mayfield made a career for himself.  That said, I really hope the Jets don't draft him.  

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Giant fans are so lucky.

Smh, f'in Jets.  Yeah let's go get some wins!  (And screw over our future.)

Eh ... the giants were super bowl favs this year. I wouldn’t call a total implosion “lucky”. That team was built to win now.

had the jets gone 1-16 in 1999, would they have been lucky?

17 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I think it' a small group for Jackson. It's true. Most fans are pretending they wanted Watson. I'm not pretending to be able to judge QBs. But I see an Uber productive player with incredible athleticism with Jackson. 

I don't like QB's who prefer to run and barely complete 60% of their passes in college and have only done so once in their 3 year career.  Especially in that system and in that conference.  The league has been very unkind to that type of player.   If you're taking Lamar Jackson, your taking him solely on athleticism and hope that he can develop.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm going to say this about Baker Mayfield, he has an incredible competitive spirit to him.  He's the type of guy, you don't bet against even when all signs point to, he's not going to be very good at the next level.  So, that makes his evaluation hard because everything I want to point out and say that  worries me...all kind of ends with, yeah but I could see this little dude making it happen by sheer competitive will.

Now, I've watched more Big 12 Football than I care to this year trying to get a read on him and Mason Rudolf and just like every other year, it's damn near impossible.  That conference doesn't play traditional Football.  It's like flag football meets arena league.  They literally have never heard the word defense.  It's crazy.  Guys are wide open, all the time.  Literally every throw these guys make are to wide open receivers.  And these QB's have all day to throw.   It makes it hard to watch.  Literally the worst brand of Football I've ever seen.  I legit prefer Canadian League Football to Big 12 Football.  And then when you factor that in to the analysis, you can't help but point out that no Big 12 QB has ever had NFL success.  It just doesn't translate to the NFL.  And Oklahoma is the alpha in the conference more so than any other conference (outside of Bama obviously), so their is just a huge competitive edge too.

I don't know man, I wouldn't touch Mayfield or Rudolf with a 10 foot pole but man, I wouldn't be shocked if Mayfield made a career for himself.  That said, I really hope the Jets don't draft him.  

Absolutely 100 percent on the money.

There is ZERO defense played in the Big 12. I would be really leery of drafting any QB from the Big 12.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Totally disagree about Mayfield always throwing to wide open receivers. I saw plenty of throws he made in tight spots including TD throws on Saturday. He threw a TD perfectly between a bracketed receiver for a TD with beautiful touch that dropped right in to the only window he had. Sure, plenty of times guys are wide open but when you get into the redzone those windows are much smaller just because of the shrunken field to work. 

The Jets are going through yet ANOTHER wasted season with losers at QB in Fitz & McCown, that's 3 years in a row! After 4 losing seasons with Rex! 7 f*cking years, I'm done with this sh*t! If your going to suck anyway why wouldn't you do what many Jet fans have said in the past & draft a QB every f*cking year until you find one. The Vikings are a nice story but guess what? Wait until they travel to Philly to play Wentz & that home field advantage and that defense vs Case Keenum. NFL fans are SUCKERS! Every year begins with false hope for every single team without a QB. Does anyone think the Packers have a chance with Brett Hundley? Lol. Jet fans have been played for suckers since Rex played Mark Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. That's a long time to be a sucker and if McCown is trotted out again after the bye this SUCKER is done with the Jets until we at least try to find an answer at QB again.

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

I don't like QB's who prefer to run and barely complete 60% of their passes in college and have only done so once in their 3 year career.  Especially in that system and in that conference.  The league has been very unkind to that type of player.   If you're taking Lamar Jackson, your taking him solely on athleticism and hope that he can develop.  

and we know this coach and staff don't know what the word develop means.

50 minutes ago, JiF said:

You are almost right about no defense in Big 12 but Mayfield and OU put up 38 points on TCU who came in giving up just 13 points per game. That said, I agree that guys are mostly wide open in OU's offense. I really like Mayfield, but fear he could be another Bryce Petty. A guy who put up video game numbers in college but didn't translate it to the NFL.

36 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Jets are going through yet ANOTHER wasted season with losers at QB in Fitz & McCown, that's 3 years in a row! After 4 losing seasons with Rex! 7 f*cking years, I'm done with this sh*t! If your going to suck anyway why wouldn't you do what many Jet fans have said in the past & draft a QB every f*cking year until you find one.

Totally agree but drafting QB's in the second and third rounds is defeatist thinking. Finding a good one is tough, and finding a great one is even tougher, but you have to keep at it and most of all you have to PLAY THEM. You can't find out what you have trotting out 38 year old losers every week.

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

You are almost right about no defense in Big 12 but Mayfield and OU put up 38 points on TCU who came in giving up just 13 points per game. That said, I agree that guys are mostly wide open in OU's offense. I really like Mayfield, but fear he could be another Bryce Petty. A guy who put up video game numbers in college but didn't translate it to the NFL.

Guys we already have Mason Rudolph on the team.... it's Bryce Petty. They are literally the same guy, hell they even look like they may be related.

55 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Eh ... the giants were super bowl favs this year. I wouldn’t call a total implosion “lucky”. That team was built to win now.

had the jets gone 1-16 in 1999, would they have been lucky?

Right.  But once they realized the season ease waste, they went full tank.

Smart.

They had Eli.  And now next year they'll have another young franchise QB possibility.

The Jets will have... ???

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Right.  But once they realized the season ease waste, they went full tank.

Smart.

They had Eli.  And now next year they'll have another young franchise QB possibility.

The Jets will have... ???

How did they go full tank? Was something done on purpose to lose games? What were the smart moves the Giants made to ensure losses?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I like Mayfield and think he has a chance to be good but I wouldn't touch Lamar Jackson at all. The guy is completely inaccurate and won't be able to run like he does at Louisville without getting killed in the NFL.

I would do whatever has to be done to trade up for Darnold or Rosen but would be willing to take a chance with Mayfield even though I have concerns with his height. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Mayfield did just play a great game against TCU who is the one team in that conference that plays defense and he also played well against Ohio State.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

The population of this board largerly thought Watson was a 3rd round prospect at best, yet 90% of you are drooling over Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson.

Cant make this sh*t up. 

I'm not judging any of this year's QBs until we get the radar gun readings

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Totally disagree about Mayfield always throwing to wide open receivers. I saw plenty of throws he made in tight spots including TD throws on Saturday. He threw a TD perfectly between a bracketed receiver for a TD with beautiful touch that dropped right in to the only window he had. Sure, plenty of times guys are wide open but when you get into the redzone those windows are much smaller just because of the shrunken field to work. 

The Jets are going through yet ANOTHER wasted season with losers at QB in Fitz & McCown, that's 3 years in a row! After 4 losing seasons with Rex! 7 f*cking years, I'm done with this sh*t! If your going to suck anyway why wouldn't you do what many Jet fans have said in the past & draft a QB every f*cking year until you find one. The Vikings are a nice story but guess what? Wait until they travel to Philly to play Wentz & that home field advantage and that defense vs Case Keenum. NFL fans are SUCKERS! Every year begins with false hope for every single team without a QB. Does anyone think the Packers have a chance with Brett Hundley? Lol. Jet fans have been played for suckers since Rex played Mark Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. That's a long time to be a sucker and if McCown is trotted out again after the bye this SUCKER is done with the Jets until we at least try to find an answer at QB again.

Occasionally he has to throw a contested ball or fit a tight window  Most of the time, he's throwing to wide open receivers, even in the redone.  And when he does have to throw a contested ball, he's throwing to the much superior athlete.

As for your sucker rant, I don't know what this is directed toward.  The Jets are dumb.  I don't know what the fans have to do with it.  I'm pretty sure we all want a QB.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

When he played that way vs. OSU.  I took notice, granted that D lost a lot last year but still a loaded team and he stepped up to the challenge.

Check out TCU's schedule and see the scores of their games.  The only reason that D was rated so high is because they shut out bad teams and let good teams score.  

Anywho, like I said before, every QB in the league puts up huge numbers.  Of the top 5 passing leaders in the NCAA, 4 are in the Big 12 and it's not because they're good. 

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm not judging any of this year's QBs until we get the radar gun readings

lmfao.  That might go down as my favorite thing ever to happen during a drat process. 

I can't imagine Mayfield or Jackson throwing the ball fast.  Cant wait to see what Our Lads Scouting Services have to say about it!

Archived