Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

I agree with the person who suggested mayfield would be the 3rd qb off the board late 1st early 2nd round.

I want the coach of Oklahoma, lincoln riley, brilliant young offensive mind.  Mayfield has been great but the play design and play calling has been brilliant.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/1/2017 at 7:53 PM, Warfish said:

If we could get him in the "early second" I'd literally sh*t kittens runnings up to the podium to make that pick.

Sort of.

If the Jets haven’t made other arrangements (i.e. Cousins/FA, a QB in the top half of round 1) and the draft’s supposed 3rd-best QB - a QB they like - is there at #28 or so? Man, if they risk losing him outright to gamble that he’s going to fall to #50, instead of using that extra 2nd rounder to seal the deal for the guy they want to be their QB for the next 15 years, they deserve to get Brett Favre’d again and go into opening day with McCown, Hackenberg, and the next worthless nobody we draft in round 4.

I can’t believe even Maccagnan would be that stupid. Or even if he is that stupid, I have to believe desperation would force him to resist his innate impulse of doing whatever’s dumbest and adopt the George Costanza’s “Do the Opposite” religion during the draft.

Mayfield will drop in the draft. 

He will have success/be entertaining in the NFL.  

He will be better than players picked above him   

For me the ultimate disaster would be to trade high picks for a veteran who also has to be paid   

That would be very Jetsy  

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sort of.

If the Jets haven’t made other arrangements (i.e. Cousins/FA, a QB in the top half of round 1) and the draft’s supposed 3rd-best QB - a QB they like - is there at #28 or so? Man, if hey risk losing him outright to gamble that he’s going to fall to #50, instead of using that extra 2nd rounder to seal the deal for the guy they want to be their QB for the next 15 years, they deserve to get Brett Favre’d again and go into opening day with McCown, Hackenberg, and the next worthless nobody we draft in round 4.

I can’t believe even Maccagnan would be that stupid. Or even if he is that stupid, I have to believe desperation would force him to resist his innate impulse of doing whatever’s dumbest and adopt the George Costanza’s “Do the Opposite” religion during the draft.

Cousins will never hit the market.

Darnold and Rosen will be gone in picks #1 and #2 and not to us.

Baker Mayfield is the best QB in this draft, production wise, and the third best "scouts prospect" in the draft.

He won't fall to the 2nd.

He will be off the board before pick #10.  I guarantee it.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cousins will never hit the market.

Darnold and Rosen will be gone in picks #1 and #2 and not to us.

Baker Mayfield is the best QB in this draft, production wise, and the third best "scouts prospect" in the draft.

He won't fall to the 2nd.

He will be off the board before pick #10.  I guarantee it.

It’s looking like it, yes. My point was more that, if our 2nd round pick is at #50 and we’re waiting for him to fall to there, they’d pretty much deserve to miss him.

Cousins honestly I think it’s really a toss up. I don’t think they’re going to tag him with so many QBs available no matter what Allen said off the cuff in May. They couldn’t field a contender with him counting $24m. It’s not going to get any easier to improve the team if he counts $34.5m the following season. Truth is tagging him again would be a colossal mistake; it’s hard enough for teams to field a winner without 1/5 of the cap going towards 1 player. I don’t think it’s ever been done before and they’re better off hitting the draft and putting that towards help around him. 

Absent getting tagged I think it’s going to be hard for them to keep him from seeking out the highest bidder in free agency. We’ll see soon enough.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It’s looking like it, yes. My point was more that, if our 2nd round pick is at #50 and we’re waiting for him to fall to there, they’d pretty much deserve to miss him.

I agree.  I pick him at our pick in the first.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Cousins honestly I think it’s really a toss up. I don’t think they’re going to tag him with so many QBs available no matter what Allen said off the cuff in May. They couldn’t field a contender with him counting $24m. It’s not going to get any easier to improve the team if he counts $34.5m the following season. Truth is tagging him again would be a colossal mistake; it’s hard enough for teams to field a winner without 1/5 of the cap going towards 1 player. I don’t think it’s ever been done before and they’re better off hitting the draft and putting that towards help around him. 

Absent getting tagged I think it’s going to be hard for them to keep him from seeking out the highest bidder in free agency. We’ll see soon enough.

So why would it be easier for the Jets to build a contender paying him 30 mil/year than it is for the Redskins to do it?

Forgive me, I simply see no real world outcome where Cousins is a Jet in 2018.  

No way Mayfield falls into the second round. He may fall outside the top 10 because you know someone will post an obscure thing that happens at the combine like it did with Watson. You remember? That silly thing about 49mph? Hope for something like that because Macchole will probably say that trading multiple picks for just one guy is not worth it. If that happens I bet he still doesn't take him. Its just my gut feeling and based on his past drafts you know he will go for his usual BPA bullsh*t.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

So why would it be easier for the Jets to build a contender paying him 30 mil/year than it is for the Redskins to do it?

Kirk Cousins isn't the answer to our QB needs. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think this is worth the read, we could make him the highest paid player in history with all the guaranteed money in his first 2 years before we need to extend any of our young players.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

with the way the wins and losses fell today - It likely that Macc's window to trade up has closed. You scribble Darnold and Rosen in there, assuming the former declares. It's officially Mayfield-watch from now till late April.

*Sigh* :(

I guess Baker or Lamar shall suffice

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

It isn't & didn't say that it did. I'm suggesting that teams have a habit of seeing how many wins they got in the prior season, and then foolishly act as though upgrading isolated lower-performing positions means the good parts carry over as-was - including career years - plus you get the "profit" of the upgrade positions. That's how you see the Jets draft Mike Nugent in the 2nd round, re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick for $12m, among other such brilliance.

So while the 2 teams, the Jets and Redskins have the same records, they may be looking for different things after the season's over. Recent fluff stories aside, no one could seriously expect back-to-back career seasons from McCown; frankly no one should expect back-to-back healthy seasons from McCown at any performance level.

The Jets are shopping for a new QB no matter what McCown's numbers. After whiffing on Petty and Hackenberg; after moronically expecting a career year to repeat from Fitzpatrick; after declining to make moves on both Wentz and Watson; after fielding 5-6 win teams for back to back years; with a GM whose contract is (or should be) in question; and with so much cap space to burn through...yeah, idiocy jokes aside I do see the team finally pulling the trigger on a big splash at the position -- specifically a round 1 QB or an expensive FA QB, and the latter is more of a sure thing than the former. Even prospects the GM is gaga over (*coughHackenbergcough*) can be the worst QB prospect the team has drafted in memory, where Cousins is a sure thing in that he has a high floor. A theoretical high floor, even in the absence of a high ceiling, is Maccagnan's M.O. to a tee in round 1, and I think he's been terrified of drafting a bust QB in round 1 to the point of paralysis at taking a shot.

On the other hand the Redskins could look at their situation as "Well, we gave it a try with Kirk for 3+ years and, higher floor [than a bust draft pick] aside, the ceiling seems to be 7 losses. And that's with far more cap room to spread around due his past lower salaries."

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

with the way the wins and losses fell today - It likely that Macc's window to trade up has closed. You scribble Darnold and Rosen in there, assuming the former declares. It's officially Mayfield-watch from now till late April.

Mayfield is a polarizing player. There will be teams, in need of a QB, that will want no part of Mayfield and his off the field issues (reportedly A LOT more than what has been publicized). Considering the type of players this team has passed over in the draft, I don't see how we take a kid like Mayfield as the face of the franchise. 

I'm still hoping for Cousins. That we can just go BPA in the draft and build a complete team ready to compete next year. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mayfield is a polarizing player. There will be teams, in need of a QB, that will want no part of Mayfield and his off the field issues (reportedly A LOT more than what has been publicized). Considering the type of players this team has passed over in the draft, I don't see how we take a kid like Mayfield as the face of the franchise. 

I'm still hoping for Cousins. That we can just go BPA in the draft and build a complete team ready to compete next year. 

I don't get the Cousins thing. He is a JAG. Washington actually KNOWS this, it is why he will likely be available. Keenum is WAY out playing him. He has been fantastic under heavy pressure. Cousins kind of folds. I might sign McCarron for mid range money but if we go the veteran route, definitely Keenum over Cousins. Cousins will cost $20 million plus and will be a bust.  I really like Mayfield. Maybe it is time the Jets took a risk for once. He might fall close to us.

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What exactly is the "more then reported"?  Are you saying that in 2017, when literally a fart is tweeted, written about, filmed, etc. that there are a bunch of unreported stories about the soon to be Heisman winner?

Please elaborate 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mayfield and his off the field issues (reportedly A LOT more than what has been publicized)

Where exactly are you seeing this? I follow college close enough to feel like i would have heard this sentiment. And I haven't.

What I have heard, is a bunch of men with vaginas, making a big deal out of nothing. "off-field issues"?... is that what we're calling the behavior associated with 92.57% of all 21 year olds? Time to define, correctable juvenile tendencies, with actual delinquent behavior. 

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Where exactly are you seeing this? I follow college close enough to feel like i would have heard this sentiment. And I haven't.

What I have heard, is a bunch of men with vaginas, making a big deal out of nothing. "off-field issues"?... is that what we're calling the behavior associated with 92.57% of all 21 year olds? Time to define, correctable juvenile tendencies, with actual delinquent behavior. 

I don't know about you, but I was never arrested in college.  Too fast.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:31 AM, Dinamite said:

If first 2 picks are browns and Giants, no way can we trade up.    Browns will likely be forced to take QB and Giants would not trade with jets.  

Only cause they need a QB, otherwise it's all about the deal plus they are in another conference.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I don't get the Cousins thing. He is a JAG. Washington actually KNOWS this, it is why he will likely be available. Keenum is WAY out playing him. He has been fantastic under heavy pressure. Cousins kind of folds. I might sign McCarron for mid range money but if we go the veteran route, definitely Keenum over Cousins. Cousins will cost $20 million plus and will be a bust.  I really like Mayfield. Maybe it is time the Jets took a risk for once. He might fall close to us.

If Washington knows he's a JAG why are they paying him $23.9 million this year?  That's a lot for a JAG.

3 minutes ago, adb280z said:

If Washington knows he's a JAG why are they paying him $23.9 million this year?  That's a lot for a JAG.

Because they haven't gotten their act together to come up with an alternative.

Cousins is a middle of the road QB. In the short term he might be decent but lets not kind ourselves the guy has had one of the best offensive lines and pretty good weapons for most of his career and has never even sniffed the playoffs. You will never with a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins.

I'd much rather roll the dice in the draft. We're out on Darnold and Rosen most likely -- it's all about taking a chance on gambles like Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield.

NFL Radio on Sirius today repeated their belief that Mayfield might be a early Day 2 pick.

They seemed to blow him off as a prospect.

Mind blowing tbqh.

If every serious draftnick/scout has Mayfield being a mid-wnd rounder, fine, lolmazing but fine, draft the BAP O-Linemen in the 1st, then take Mayfield with our 2nd, then another O-Lineman with our other 2nd.

Same three spots, OL/QB/OL, just a different order.

I'd wank myself into a stupor if we get Mayfield that late.  I think folks might really be missing the boat on this kid's pro potential.

Just now, Warfish said:

NFL Radio on Sirius today repeated their belief that Mayfield might be a early Day 2 pick.

They seemed to blow him off as a prospect.

Mind blowing tbqh.

If every serious draftnick/scout has Mayfield being a mid-wnd rounder, fine, lolmazing but fine, draft the BAP O-Linemen in the 1st, then take Mayfield with our 2nd, then another O-Lineman with our other 2nd.

Same three spots, OL/QB/OL, just a different order.

I'd wank myself into a stupor if we get Mayfield that late.  I think folks might really be missing the boat on this kid's pro potential.

Problem is with the Jets situation if he's on the board when we pick in the 1st round we have no choice but to make the pick. 

Just now, legler82 said:

I'd love someone to provide me examples of Mayfield making NFL caliber "big boy" throws.  When I watch film on him, I have a hard time finding those instances in their offense.

The kid has a cannon and has accuracy along with it.  

He doesn't seem to make mistakes with the ball. 

7 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I'd love someone to provide me examples of Mayfield making NFL caliber "big boy" throws.  When I watch film on him, I have a hard time finding those instances in their offense.

You know who can from a "spread type offense" - Jared Goff

You know who had the arm strength to make "big boy NFL throws" - Paxton Lynch

I understand there is upside to having a guy with an arm like stafford, but QBs win with accuracy and the ability/balls to keep their eyes downfield and not stare down the rush. That is what Mayfield excels at.

If we got him in the second round I would be beyond ecstatic

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I understand there is upside to having a guy with an arm like stafford, but QBs win with accuracy and the ability/balls to keep their eyes downfield and not stare down the rush. That is what Mayfield excels at.

mayfield has a nice arm.  you can't be influenced by his height, his arm is legit.

12 minutes ago, legler82 said:

I heard his throws might also be a few mph slower than elite, clearly we must pass on him.:lol:

Most productive passer in college two years running, what, 8,000+ yards passing, 70%+ completion percentage, 80+ TD's to like ~10 INT's, and yet......in all those many many many throws.....you've not seen a single "NFL Level" Throw?  You watch alot of his games then?

I'm honestly curious, what is your real world alternative?  Cousins will never hit the open market, and Darnold (lol) and Rosen will be gone at our top pick.  You standing pat with McCown and Hack?  Throwing money at Alex Smith?  Drafting Falk or Rudolph or Jackson?

What is your favored action at the QB position for next year?

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I saw Goff make NFL caliber throws and reads in the Spread as I saw with Mahomes and Mariota.  I don't see it too much from Mayfield.  Also Mayfield is NOWHERE near as accurate as Stafford his ball placement is some of the worse I've seen in the top of the class.

*EDIT - When you said Stafford, for whatever reason in my head I was thinking Bradford probably because of the OU connection.  Anyway I mean to say he was not as accurate as Bradford coming out which is moot since you weren't talking about Bradford.  The ball placement comment still applies though.

Archived