Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is the cost from moving to 1 or 2 that much higher than 3? 

Either way, the last thing I want is someone who has shown zero ability to assess the QB position is trading away assets for one.  

If Mac did that and failed, say hello to 2022 before the Jets can think about being play off contenders. 

I apologize if You think I applied it would work. As far as 1 or 3 Im assuming Darnold and Rosen go to Giants , Browns. They ain’t trading away for nothing. 

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

In this QB crazed league? Yes.

Mike Glennon just made bank last offseason for 13 throws.

make no mistake someone will trade up to three and crush our chances if we don’t take them.

Free Agency is totally different.  I agree.  The league is QB crazed which is why Mayfield will be a 1st round pick.  3rd overall?  No.  Geno Smith was a better prospect coming out of college, so was Derek Carr - both 2nd round QB's. 

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

There are too many QB desperate teams - those teams will look to leapfrog each other into the first available spot.

How is this different than last year?  It's the same teams at the top of the draft.  Watson went 12, Mahomes 10.  Both significantly better prospects than Baker Mayfield. 

29 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's a difference of opinion on McCown then, if he was signed to start all season because Macc already determined that Hack sucked then that's a  fireable offense. I don't believe the 4th preseason game last year was enough to write Hack off, I do think that after a year in the NFL and working on his mechanics this past offseason and seeing him in preseason there is enough information to move forward.

As for the "unknown" label, yes I would say every rookie QB is an "unknown". IMO it's far easier to grade other positions and how they'll translate to the NFL. I think Watson being the 3rd QB off the board seems to verify that he was considered an "unknown". If a QB is a known franchise QB I don't believe that many QB needy teams would pass on him.

I do think there is a real concern with Macc's ability to select of a QB but I'm not sure last draft was the best indicator of that given the situation I eluded to earlier. This is why I believe we'll make a full court press for Cousins so Macc can stick to BPA and pick up a known franchise QB. That type of move should buy him enough time and will likely allow him to select his own coach before being canned. Whether Cousins chooses us is another situation though.

Once the final order of picks is figured out I'd be happy to revisit a wager.

Fair enough.  I think the likelihood of the Jets going hard for Cousins is much higher than them taking Mayfield. 

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

:lol:

Many in here assume that because Mayfield looks really good in college that he is a no brainer to be a great NFL QB. That same logic should have applied to Geno who had a 71pct comp pct, 4200 yards passing, 42 TDs and 6 INTs in the Big 12 in his senior year. 

If Mayfield played at Northwestern, in a basic offense behind an average team, I am not sure people here would love him so much. 

Mayfield may be great, but how many great college QBs that won heismans ended up being great NFL QBs. Brady/Peyton/Rodgers/Luck. Meanwhile, Jameis, Marriota, Manziel, RG3 have been less than spectacular and Cam is a headcase. 

That doesn't mean Mayfield can't become the next Drew Brees. He is fun to watch, but he isn't the guy you trade away multiple picks to move up from 8 to 3 to get.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Let me ask this:

Why the love for Baker Mayfield and not Mason Rudolf?  Someone tell me why Baker Mayfield is a better NFL prospect. 

I have watched 3/4 of Bakers games and admittedly not every snap.  I have watched 1/2 of Rudolph's games, definitely not watching every snap.

From what I have seen from Mayfield is the ability to move around the pocket, keep his eyes downfield and make an accurate throw when the play breaks down.  Rudolph seems to me more like Geno in the sense that he sits back, scans the field for someone open, and throws it to them.  That is not the same thing and is why Geno is not a good NFL QB.  

NFL QBs dont have the time to wait until a player gets open, they need to study their asses off to know where guys will be on each play, and then have the ability to feel/escape pressure, while going through their progression, which is EXTREMELY difficult.  

Personally I think Mayfield, like Brees and Wilson, can buy enough time when the bullets are flying, and keep focused on his WRs in order to make the necessary plays.  Im not sure Rudolph has that quality.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Let me ask this:

Why the love for Baker Mayfield and not Mason Rudolf?  Someone tell me why Baker Mayfield is a better NFL prospect. 

Because he's a "winner" and can do this:

eruBIH.gif

Honestly, the scouts are all over the map on this years draft class. Some have Mayfield in top 10, some have him in the 2nd. Some have Lamar Jackson ahead of Darnold some have Jackson in the 2nd. Either way, this is a very gifted QB class with guys like Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold/Jackson/Allen/Rudolph all capable of going in the 1st round and a couple of other decent prospects. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I was just about to say, I'm good with it in every single round just because I think the only way Mac finds a QB is to just luck into one.  The problem is, that big board is the bible and you can not deviate for it.  So, get ready for Ward or Key.  It's all but guaranteed. 

I can definitely see that happening. I just don't see Mac reaching for a 6-0 tall QB.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

By any means necessary. I don't care if we take a quarterback in every round of the draft this year. If we decide Cousins is our guy, then fine. But if we go in to the draft with Petty and Hackenberg under contract then we better pull the trigger on the best QB available.

See above.  Mac won't do it.  Answer is to bid hard on Cousins, re-sign McCown and trade down if necessary.  

There are other QBs with potential.  Mac needs to figure out which one to take without picking another Hack.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

In this QB crazed league? Yes.

Mike Glennon just made bank last offseason for 13 throws.

make no mistake someone will trade up to three and crush our chances if we don’t take them.

I wonder whether teams will pay big money for an Osweiler or Glennon again, particularly given the production the Jets got from McCown.  McCown could have gotten the Jets to the playoffs if Mac built a better line.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Free Agency is totally different.  I agree.  The league is QB crazed which is why Mayfield will be a 1st round pick.  3rd overall?  No.  Geno Smith was a better prospect coming out of college, so was Derek Carr - both 2nd round QB's. 

How is this different than last year?  It's the same teams at the top of the draft.  Watson went 12, Mahomes 10.  Both significantly better prospects than Baker Mayfield. 

I would be interested to see how these QBs are graded.

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Let me ask this:

Why not?

Why not just make your point directly, and tell US why YOU think Rudolph is the superior prospect for the NFL level.

52 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Many in here assume that because Mayfield looks really good in college that he is a no brainer to be a great NFL QB. That same logic should have applied to Geno who had a 71pct comp pct, 4200 yards passing, 42 TDs and 6 INTs in the Big 12 in his senior year. 

If Mayfield played at Northwestern, in a basic offense behind an average team, I am not sure people here would love him so much. 

Mayfield may be great, but how many great college QBs that won heismans ended up being great NFL QBs. Brady/Peyton/Rodgers/Luck. Meanwhile, Jameis, Marriota, Manziel, RG3 have been less than spectacular and Cam is a headcase. 

That doesn't mean Mayfield can't become the next Drew Brees. He is fun to watch, but he isn't the guy you trade away multiple picks to move up from 8 to 3 to get.

But Darnold, he is the real deal, right?  Sure thing.  Can't miss.  Measurables!

Geno is no Baker Mayfield, and even a scrub like me can see that.  

And I'm happy going down drafting the most passionate, most productive, college QB every year till one works out.  This year, thats not "but muh potential" InterceptiDarnold, it's Mayfield.

Last year it was Watson, not lolTubbyisnki.

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I have watched 3/4 of Bakers games and admittedly not every snap.  I have watched 1/2 of Rudolph's games, definitely not watching every snap.

From what I have seen from Mayfield is the ability to move around the pocket, keep his eyes downfield and make an accurate throw when the play breaks down.  Rudolph seems to me more like Geno in the sense that he sits back, scans the field for someone open, and throws it to them.  That is not the same thing and is why Geno is not a good NFL QB.  

NFL QBs dont have the time to wait until a player gets open, they need to study their asses off to know where guys will be on each play, and then have the ability to feel/escape pressure, while going through their progression, which is EXTREMELY difficult.  

Personally I think Mayfield, like Brees and Wilson, can buy enough time when the bullets are flying, and keep focused on his WRs in order to make the necessary plays.  Im not sure Rudolph has that quality.

I'm confused by this take.  I've watched more Big 12 Football this year than any single person should and that conference, is dog sh*t.  They literally have never heard the word Defense.  Mayfield throws to wide open WR's, all game long.   Oklahoma is so far superior to any other team in that conference, that Mayfield has legitimately never seen a pass rush.  He has all day to throw and throws to wide open WR's.  When he scrambles, it's because he's holding the ball too long to find the big play, rather than escaping pressure to make a play.  It's Manziel type sh*t, hence the comparisons.  Oklahoma also has the far superior run game to OK St.  

I don't really get how you're knocking Rudolf because he stays in the pocket and scans the field.  That is a much more traditionally successful style NFL QB.  He's also 6'5 with a big live arm.  Not 5'10 with an average arm.

The reality?  Baker Mayfield does things that draw attention to him and has a fancy trophy which gives him a name.  Whereas Rudolf, just goes about his business and puts out similar production.   I guess what I'm trying to say is, being able to scramble a bit, typically doesn't make you the better prospect.  If that were the case, lets talk Lamar Jackson.  But we wouldn't do that, would we? 

39 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Because he's a "winner" and can do this:

eruBIH.gif

Honestly, the scouts are all over the map on this years draft class. Some have Mayfield in top 10, some have him in the 2nd. Some have Lamar Jackson ahead of Darnold some have Jackson in the 2nd. Either way, this is a very gifted QB class with guys like Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold/Jackson/Allen/Rudolph all capable of going in the 1st round and a couple of other decent prospects. 

What has Baker Mayfield won, exactly?  The Big 12?  

And we all know winning in college means very little in the NFL. 

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why not?

Why not just make your point directly, and tell US why YOU think Rudolph is the superior prospect for the NFL level.

I wouldn't touch either of them because I'm a firm believer in historic precedence when it comes to the draft and Big 12 QB's don't translate.  That said,  I don't necessarily think that Rudolph is the better prospect.  I'm just trying to figure out how Mayfield is better.  Rudolph checks more of the NFL boxes than Mayfield but he's not getting near they hype.  Especially on this board and I'm just confused as to why.

Quite frankly, I think this class is ridiculously overhyped and I wouldn't be confident in selecting a single one of these guys.  The Mayfield hysteria is just confusing when there is a guy in the same conference putting up the same numbers but aesthetically looks much more like an NFL QB.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But Darnold, he is the real deal, right?  Sure thing.  Can't miss.  Measurables!

And I'm happy going down drafting the most passionate, most productive, college QB every year till one works out.  This year, thats not "but muh potential" InterceptiDarnold, it's Mayfield.

Huh?   Why?  Geno has twice the arm, is more athletic and stands about 4 inches taller.  This is my point with Mayfield.  There is literally nothing about Baker Mayfield that makes him a better prospect than Geno Smith.

And if you're happy drafting the most passionate most productive college QB every year, you end with Tim Tebow's of the world.  Do you want Jalen Hurts as your QB because he's pretty passionate and has made the playoffs his first 2 seasons in college.

And why is Mayfield more passionate than Darnold? Because he grabs his junk in the middle of the game and flicks off the other team?  Is it because he swings his arm around like a bumbling idiot every time he throws a TD?  How are you quantifying "the most passionate QB" in college Football? 

it took me decades of watching football and the jets failure to groom qb after qb to realize that nearly all of the time, it's way more than just talent that makes a successful qb.  coaching, scheme, patience and overall team talent/drafting matter as well.  the jets under idzik or tanny or rex could take rosen or darnold and they would have failed.  you need a plan for a qb, if you draft mayfield you need a guy like morton who understands how to use him b/c he did the same thing with brees.  rudolph is a very different qb than mayfield, and if you take rudolph you need a coordinator who can design a scheme that he can succeed in.  the jets have for some reason gone all in on defense the past 20 years and thus their coaches have had no desire or patience to develop qbs.  i can only hope that mccagnan doesn't see just a qb when he drafts him, i hope he also has a plan in place for the right coaches to put him in the right scheme with the right guys around him.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it took me decades of watching football and the jets failure to groom qb after qb to realize that nearly all of the time, it's way more than just talent that makes a successful qb.  coaching, scheme, patience and overall team talent/drafting matter as well.  the jets under idzik or tanny or rex could take rosen or darnold and they would have failed.  you need a plan for a qb, if you draft mayfield you need a guy like morton who understands how to use him b/c he did the same thing with brees.  rudolph is a very different qb than mayfield, and if you take rudolph you need a coordinator who can design a scheme that he can succeed in.  the jets have for some reason gone all in on defense the past 20 years and thus their coaches have had no desire or patience to develop qbs.  i can only hope that mccagnan doesn't see just a qb when he drafts him, i hope he also has a plan in place for the right coaches to put him in the right scheme with the right guys around him.  

Meh, I think it has more to do with the player.

Brees was great with Cam Cameron in San Diego.  His OC when he first got to NO was Doug Marrone.  The best season he ever had was under Pete Carmicheal.  John Morton had literally nothing to do with Drew Brees being one of the best QB's to ever play the game. 

Does system matter?  Sure.  But the same system that had Deshaun Watson breaking every possible rookie record also has produced absolutely nothing from anyone else to take a snap for Bill O'Brien.

Just now, JiF said:

Meh, I think it has more to do with the player.

Brees was great with Cam Cameron in San Diego.  His OC when he first got to NO was Doug Marrone.  The best season he ever had was under Pete Carmicheal.  John Morton had literally nothing to do with Drew Brees being one of the best QB's to ever play the game. 

Does system matter?  Sure.  But the same system that had Deshaun Watson breaking every possible rookie record also has produced absolutely nothing from anyone else to take a snap for Bill O'Brien.

but a good qb on the jets with the head coaches, lack of any kind of competency at offensive coordinator and gms ignoring offensive needs will not succeed.  that's my main point.  the jets may accidentally draft a good qb and we will never know unless they get rid of bowles and get a real offensive coaching staff.  

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm confused by this take.  I've watched more Big 12 Football this year than any single person should and that conference, is dog sh*t.  They literally have never heard the word Defense.  Mayfield throws to wide open WR's, all game long.   Oklahoma is so far superior to any other team in that conference, that Mayfield has legitimately never seen a pass rush.  He has all day to throw and throws to wide open WR's.  When he scrambles, it's because he's holding the ball too long to find the big play, rather than escaping pressure to make a play.  It's Manziel type sh*t, hence the comparisons.  Oklahoma also has the far superior run game to OK St.  

I don't really get how you're knocking Rudolf because he stays in the pocket and scans the field.  That is a much more traditionally successful style NFL QB.  He's also 6'5 with a big live arm.  Not 5'10 with an average arm.

The reality?  Baker Mayfield does things that draw attention to him and has a fancy trophy which gives him a name.  Whereas Rudolf, just goes about his business and puts out similar production.   I guess what I'm trying to say is, being able to scramble a bit, typically doesn't make you the better prospect.  If that were the case, lets talk Lamar Jackson.  But we wouldn't do that, would we? 

Because for someone who watches as much as you do, you should know the difference between scrambling and moving inside the pocket.

Mayfield moves in the pocket and throws - thats a quality that translates to the NFL.

Jackson sits in the pocket, and then runs when it starts to collapse, that is a far more dangerous game in the NFL.

Also, is it possible that Oklahoma is far superior to the other teams BECAUSE of mayfield?  I get that he has a good LT and good RB, but he lost his top RB and top RB from last season and didnt miss a beat.  

I think everything will be much more clear once Mayfield plays one or two games against top, non Big12 teams

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think everything will be much more clear once Mayfield plays one or two games against top, non Big12 teams

Fair.  If Mayfield sh*ts the bed vs. Big Talent teams in the BCS, it most certainly will sour his draft stock badly.

I still pick him.....I just snag him in the 3rd Round instead of the First. :lol:

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Because for someone who watches as much as you do, you should know the difference between scrambling and moving inside the pocket.

Mayfield moves in the pocket and throws - thats a quality that translates to the NFL.

Jackson sits in the pocket, and then runs when it starts to collapse, that is a far more dangerous game in the NFL.

Also, is it possible that Oklahoma is far superior to the other teams BECAUSE of mayfield?  I get that he has a good LT and good RB, but he lost his top RB and top RB from last season and didnt miss a beat.  

You're right.  That was a bit extreme using a run first QB as a comparison.  That said, I don't see what you see in Mayfield.  Not at all.  He has more of the Manziel type tendencies that he buys time for the big play.  Which is great when you watch Russell Wilson do it but it's not really want you want your QB to be doing every game.  I'm sure if Seattle could protect Wilson better and keep him throwing from the pocket more often, they'd highly prefer that opposed to trying to make something out of nothing every play.  And Mayfield is not Wilson type elusive.  

I've watched enough to see that Mayfield doesn't manipulate the pocket because he's avoiding pressure.  He's doing it because in that conference, big plays can happen on every single snap.  See Mahomes for example last year.  Just about every single play he made was because he waited long enough for someone to get open.  It just doesn't translate.  

And no.  Oklahoma is not great because of Mayfield.  They've been the big dog since the day Bob Stoops took over.  They've dominated their conference more than Bama has dominated the SEC.

And I agree.  Seeing what Baker can do vs. real defenses is going to be very telling. 

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

Rudolph may have the better arm, Mayfield has escapability.  I don't see how one can make a definitive argument for one vs the other.  They both play in what you so eloquently described as a dog sh*t conference.  Like Mayfield and Rudolph, Mahomes also played in that conference and put up video game numbers.  The big difference however, is that when you watch Mahomes play you saw him make NFL type throws, throw people open, fit balls through tight windows and superb ball placement.  I don't see that from this group of Big 12 QBs.

4 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Rudolph may have the better arm, Mayfield has escapability.  I don't see how one can make a definitive argument for one vs the other.  They both play in what you so eloquently described as a dog sh*t conference.  Like Mayfield and Rudolph, Mahomes also played in that conference and put up video game numbers.  The big difference however, is that when you watch Mahomes play you saw him make NFL type throws, throw people open, fit balls through tight windows and superb ball placement.  I don't see that from this group of Big 12 QBs.

That's my point.  People are talking about a bidding war to move up to #3 to take Mayfield and there is nothing discernable about his game that makes him a better prospect than Mason Rudolph.   Other than, he's fiery and passionate dude which is good for absolutely nothing.  Eli Manning looks like he could give 2 sh*ts if he lives or dies on a daily basis and he has 2 Super Bowl rings and 2 Super Bowl MVP's.  Rosen literally hates the sport and people want him #1 overall. 

Mahomes does things you cant teach.  The book has yet to be written if he succeeds or not in the NFL but he has abilities that are not capable of being developed.   They are natural abilities that Mayfield will never posses.  The Baker Mayfield's of the world are a dime a dozen.  Just look at the conference now.   They all put up video game numbers.  What does he do that is special?  

Did you know Landry Jones in his career threw for over 2,000 more yards than Mayfield while at Oklahoma?  6'4, big arm, same team, same conference.......4th round pick.

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're right.  That was a bit extreme using a run first QB as a comparison.  That said, I don't see what you see in Mayfield.  Not at all.  He has more of the Manziel type tendencies that he buys time for the big play.  Which is great when you watch Russell Wilson do it but it's not really want you want your QB to be doing every game.  I'm sure if Seattle could protect Wilson better and keep him throwing from the pocket more often, they'd highly prefer that opposed to trying to make something out of nothing every play.  And Mayfield is not Wilson type elusive.  

I've watched enough to see that Mayfield doesn't manipulate the pocket because he's avoiding pressure.  He's doing it because in that conference, big plays can happen on every single snap.  See Mahomes for example last year.  Just about every single play he made was because he waited long enough for someone to get open.  It just doesn't translate.  

And no.  Oklahoma is not great because of Mayfield.  They've been the big dog since the day Bob Stoops took over.  They've dominated their conference more than Bama has dominated the SEC.

And I agree.  Seeing what Baker can do vs. real defenses is going to be very telling. 

I think the trying to make a big play vs avoiding pressure is a very fair argument about Mayfield.  He also does seem to take chances down the field, but yet he doesnt have high interception numbers which makes me think he isnt reckless with the ball, even if he does look for big plays.

The wilson comparison also makes sense and yes, they would rather have better protection so he doesnt need to improvise, but there is nothing wrong with roll outs and run/pass option plays as a big part of the teams base offense.  If they are behind and need to spread the field and pass he should be in the shotgun anyway, so I dont think the height will play a big factor.

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think the trying to make a big play vs avoiding pressure is a very fair argument about Mayfield.  He also does seem to take chances down the field, but yet he doesnt have high interception numbers which makes me think he isnt reckless with the ball, even if he does look for big plays.

The wilson comparison also makes sense and yes, they would rather have better protection so he doesnt need to improvise, but there is nothing wrong with roll outs and run/pass option plays as a big part of the teams base offense.  If they are behind and need to spread the field and pass he should be in the shotgun anyway, so I dont think the height will play a big factor.

I cant argue any of this and I'm by no means a prophet.  Mayfield may end up being the player to break the Big 12 trend of producing sh*tty QB's.  I'm just trying to figure out what he does that is so special because what I see is a guy who throws from a clean pocket to wide open WR's vs team that's don't play D. 

When do the playoffs start?  lol

17 hours ago, legler82 said:

His height, his arm, his character, his offense, his conference; it all worries me.  This thread worries me as it seems to be a Mayfield love fest.

All I have to say is the entire Jets front office should be fired if they are even thinking about taking Mayfield top 10 after letting 2 far superior talents go passed them at 6 last season, this is by far the most worrisome thing with this regime they are ******* clueless about how to handle the QB position from Owner to HC!

2 hours ago, JiF said:

....checks more of the NFL boxes....

What are the "NFL Boxes" as you see it?

Quite frankly, I think this class is ridiculously overhyped and I wouldn't be confident in selecting a single one of these guys.

Gotta have someone play QB.  Right?

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Other than, he's fiery and passionate dude which is good for absolutely nothing.

"That Leadership stuff is overrated" Jeff George

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mayfield may end up being the player to break the Big 12 trend of producing sh*tty QB's. 

I keep wondering why people think InterceptiDarnold will end up being the player to break the USC trend of producing sh*tty QB's.

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I keep wondering why people think InterceptiDarnold will end up being the player to break the USC trend of producing sh*tty QB's.

Over his last 7 games Darnold has 14 TD’s and 3 INT’s with a 6-1 record, the offense was completely changed from last season, and he lost every single decent weapon to throw to, but if you don’t think EVERYONE paying attention to the QB’s for draft purposes doesn’t know the clear difference in Darnold from week 1 to week 13 in this offense, and isn’t impressed by it, and still believes he is top 2 QB, and top 2 pick then I can see why you love Mayfield.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Those Trubisky jokes sound a ton like the LOLGoff jokes. You don't seem like the kind of  guy that doesn't know that QBs develop at different times. Some guys FLASH like RG3, while some guys take a year or two to blossom. Meanwhile, Trubisky is learning and getting better while Watson has torn his ACL for the 2nd time in 3 years...both times in practice. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Over his last 7 games Darnold has 14 TD’s and 3 INT’s with a 6-1 record

WoW!  Let me know when we play 7 GAme Seasons in the NFL and have elite talent everywhere and at positions, like he does at USC!

Sounds like all the bullsh*t we heard about those OTHER USC QB's leading up to their drafts.

Doesn't matter, if he's such a god, he's gone in pick #1 or #2, and we're not in those picks. 

So dry your tears and get real and worry about the QB's we CAN get.

Archived