Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Hey thanks for the heads up, but you don't have to point every one of these out. It is slow right now, we move stuff over. But it is okay for people to talk about stuff here for awhile. When it picks up we will definitely move things over. Right now there isn't a lot else to talk about.  Thanks.

I thought we were friends. Guess i'm just the annoying kid with broken zipper backpack.

*cue the song as I walk out of the room*

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I thought we were friends. Guess i'm just the annoying kid with broken zipper backpack.

*cue the song as I walk out of the room*

LOL, we are friends. If it makes you feel better most of my other friends can't even afford broken zipper back packs. They carry their books around by hand.

Man, all this strong opinionated crap I'm reading about Baker today, is just making me love him more. I love the idea of my QB telling the other team off if he gets slighted like that. i want a fiery passionate leader -- and a little moxy in the crass department is OK with me if the leadership component is strong, which is it is with him. 

NY needs Baker

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Man, all this strong opinionated crap I'm reading about Baker today, is just making me love him more. I love the idea of my QB telling the other team off if he gets slighted like that. i want a fiery passionate leader -- and a little moxy in the crass department is OK with me if the leadership component is strong, which is it is with him. 

NY needs Baker

I agree with you 100%. This kid has it all including the attitude to be a huge star in New York. The Jets have to find a way to end up with either Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Daniel Jeremiah did a piece on the QBs not long ago and he talked to 5 NFL people and asked them Rosen or Darnold?

All five took Darnold.

I heard this too. He also said that he thought Rosen was more polished now and that he felt Rosen would be a good pro. The NFL people all said that Darnold just had “it”. 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Rosen Darnold seems to be shaping up to a Manning Leaf situation. The polished pro va the upside 

Obviously I want us to take a QB. I have slightly favored Rosen all season. I may be wrong in that choice. 

Rosen

Darnold

Jackson (slightly ahead of)---->Mayfield

The Browns and 49ers would be tough to beat out for a top 2 pick even if the Jets were successfully tanking, so I'm feeling slightly less aggravated about potentially missing out on Darnold and Rosen.  However, especially if we finish with a top 10 pick (which I think is very likely), my pissed off gauge will red line if Mac didn't try to trade up to get one of them.

The jets need so much help on the OL and other positions that don't look like they will be fully addressed in FA. I think Mac and Bowles will watch and see what QBs rise and fall through the draft process but no way do I see them trading up. There are a couple quality QBs that Mac needs to burn the midnight oil analyzing every last thing about them. Darnold/Rosen likely a pipe dream at this point. I myself am cheering every game for NY Giant wins as they will be looking for a QB. Couple that up with Seahawk losses to improve our 2nd round pick. If Mac trades up we will need quality picks to beat out the likes of the bills as they will likely be looking to do the same thing.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Obviously I want us to take a QB. I have slightly favored Rosen all season. I may be wrong in that choice. 

Rosen

Darnold

Jackson (slightly ahead of)---->Mayfield

I’d love to have Rosen but his injury history scares me. 

If we lose out we have a decent shot at a qb but we really need the panthers to clean our clocks sunday

1 hour ago, nicg4360 said:

The jets need so much help on the OL and other positions that don't look like they will be fully addressed in FA. I think Mac and Bowles will watch and see what QBs rise and fall through the draft process but no way do I see them trading up. There are a couple quality QBs that Mac needs to burn the midnight oil analyzing every last thing about them. Darnold/Rosen likely a pipe dream at this point. I myself am cheering every game for NY Giant wins as they will be looking for a QB. Couple that up with Seahawk losses to improve our 2nd round pick. If Mac trades up we will need quality picks to beat out the likes of the bills as they will likely be looking to do the same thing.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

I was so cheering against the Hawks last night. I want them to miss the playoffs & so we can get that higher 2nd. We need all the help we can get.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Yes he is. But Rosen and Mayfield are better.

I think when teams investigate Mayfield’s background, they are going to get scared of his baggage.  There is a ton of stuff that happened between Mayfield, his Dad, Texas, Texas Tech, And TCU.  There is a reason he had to walk on because no one that knew him wanted to offer him a scholarship.  Talent has always been there.  That’s why he ended up starting for Texas Tech as a freshman walk on.

Apparently his Dad is another Lavell Ball type.  The minute things don’t go right, there’s always the risk that they go to the media to win their case against the FO.  I would imagine Chris, Woody, and Macc would prefer safer picks.

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Daniel Jeremiah did a piece on the QBs not long ago and he talked to 5 NFL people and asked them Rosen or Darnold?

All five took Darnold.

One of the best rivalries in college football will be renewed on Saturday when the UCLA Bruins make the trip across town to take on the USC Trojans. This game will feature arguably the top 2 quarterback prospects in the country. This season has produced some ups and downs for Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, but they are both still highly regarded in NFL circles.

Executive 1: Sam Darnold
"Both are talented passers and both are tough. Rosen is tougher than he is given credit for. Sam just has a little more savvy and feel for the position to me. (Darnold has) more ability to make a crazy, improbable kind of play than Josh, while still being a highly skilled passer. (I) like both of them, but I'd take Sam if in position to choose one."

Executive 2: Darnold
"Darnold. He's stronger, he's a better athlete, better mobility and he's a better playmaker with his arm and legs. He has more 'it' factor."

Executive 3: Darnold
"I'll take Darnold. Rosen's likely a better natural talent, but Sam just has that 'it' factor that can be so hard to find and quantify."

Executive 4: Darnold
"I love Darnold. He's got poise, toughness and grit. When it's time to step up and make things happen, he gets it done. The kid's a winner, too. That matters."

Executive 5: Darnold
"They are both going to be good. Rosen is more polished and a finished product now, but I'm a Darnold guy. He (has) 'it'."

Summary: It's a sweep. Darnold received all 5 votes.

Conclusion: It's rare to get a unanimous result with these weekly Ask 5 questions. However, all five of these executives prefer Darnold over Rosen at the moment. I thought it was interesting that three of the executives mentioned the "it" factor. I hear that a lot when discussing Darnold and I agree with their assessment of him. He has a special quality that's hard to define. He's clutch and thrives in chaotic moments. I think Rosen is a more refined passer, but Darnold would get my vote right now.

--------

IT and grit go a long way it seems. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. With Rosen, I'd just be a bit worried about the injury history. That's why I pray Mac does nothing but build a solid Oline along with finding a QB this offseason.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

I think when teams investigate Mayfield’s background, they are going to get scared of his baggage.  There is a ton of stuff that happened between Mayfield, his Dad, Texas, Texas Tech, And TCU.  There is a reason he had to walk on because no one that knew him wanted to offer him a scholarship.  Talent has always been there.  That’s why he ended up starting for Texas Tech as a freshman walk on.

Apparently his Dad is another Lavell Ball type.  The minute things don’t go right, there’s always the risk that they go to the media to win their case against the FO.  I would imagine Chris, Woody, and Macc would prefer safer picks.

That’s fine with me, just more show for us folks watching. Kris Bryant’s dad is crazy too. 

10 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

That’s fine with me, just more show for us folks watching. Kris Bryant’s dad is crazy too. 

I wasn’t saying it was my preference, I was just thinking about how this organization has operated for the past 40 years.  Who knows, Chris Johnson may be different.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:38 AM, JiF said:

He's very good.  Just like every other QB in the conference.

I'm going to say this about Baker Mayfield, he has an incredible competitive spirit to him.  He's the type of guy, you don't bet against even when all signs point to, he's not going to be very good at the next level.  So, that makes his evaluation hard because everything I want to point out and say that  worries me...all kind of ends with, yeah but I could see this little dude making it happen by sheer competitive will.

Now, I've watched more Big 12 Football than I care to this year trying to get a read on him and Mason Rudolf and just like every other year, it's damn near impossible.  That conference doesn't play traditional Football.  It's like flag football meets arena league.  They literally have never heard the word defense.  It's crazy.  Guys are wide open, all the time.  Literally every throw these guys make are to wide open receivers.  And these QB's have all day to throw.   It makes it hard to watch.  Literally the worst brand of Football I've ever seen.  I legit prefer Canadian League Football to Big 12 Football.  And then when you factor that in to the analysis, you can't help but point out that no Big 12 QB has ever had NFL success.  It just doesn't translate to the NFL.  And Oklahoma is the alpha in the conference more so than any other conference (outside of Bama obviously), so their is just a huge competitive edge too.

I don't know man, I wouldn't touch Mayfield or Rudolf with a 10 foot pole but man, I wouldn't be shocked if Mayfield made a career for himself.  That said, I really hope the Jets don't draft him.  

Are you sure you know what the word literally means?

7 hours ago, section314 said:

Yes he is. But Rosen and Mayfield are better.

I cant put my finger on exactly why but form some reason I just don't want Darnold.........I know I'm in the minority but I really don't want any parts of him in a Jet uniform......unless he is the one left after all the other choices are gone and we are on the clock. 

8 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Browns and 49ers would be tough to beat out for a top 2 pick even if the Jets were successfully tanking, so I'm feeling slightly less aggravated about potentially missing out on Darnold and Rosen.  However, especially if we finish with a top 10 pick (which I think is very likely), my pissed off gauge will red line if Mac didn't try to trade up to get one of them.

Did the 49ers waste a 2nd round pick to trade for Garopollo?  They will be able to draft a QB for much cheaper.

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You know why?  Darnold is good

The NFL is an old boys networks.  Darnold strikes them as a down-to-earth, normal football player.  Rosen exudes prima donna and head case.  The NFL really does not want that.  

Archived