Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Baker Mayfield is an early 1st round selection if the Jets are on the clock and he is on the board NO WAY IN HELL Mike Maccagnan can pass him up. 

Except he basically did last year. Or you are saying Mayfiled is a better prospect than Deshaun Watson?

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets have to find a way to end up with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. I dont care how it gets done or what we have to give up because no price is too high to finally land a home grown franchise QB.

There is no chance that Mayfield goes in the second round and I would be very surprised if he isnt drafted in the top 10.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Kirk Cousins = $$$$$$$$$$ do not want if thats the case we have way too many other glaring needs. 

Alex Smith = NO WAY IN HELL 

Yes we have a lot of glaring needs, but signing free agents to big contracts is a very difficult task.  You dont know the players, you have no idea how they will react to getting the money, etc.  That is why there are so many FA busts.
I would rather pay a large sum to a QB in his prime who we know is a hard worker, and then use the draft picks to surround him with talent.  To me that is a better strategy then surrounding a rookie QB with a bunch of FAs.

Just now, BCJet said:

Yes we have a lot of glaring needs, but signing free agents to big contracts is a very difficult task.  You dont know the players, you have no idea how they will react to getting the money, etc.  That is why there are so many FA busts.
I would rather pay a large sum to a QB in his prime who we know is a hard worker, and then use the draft picks to surround him with talent.  To me that is a better strategy then surrounding a rookie QB with a bunch of FAs.

So you sign Cousins you still need a legit #1 WR and OL help. 

On 11/21/2017 at 4:39 PM, Pcola said:

I think when teams investigate Mayfield’s background, they are going to get scared of his baggage.  There is a ton of stuff that happened between Mayfield, his Dad, Texas, Texas Tech, And TCU.  There is a reason he had to walk on because no one that knew him wanted to offer him a scholarship.  Talent has always been there.  That’s why he ended up starting for Texas Tech as a freshman walk on.

Apparently his Dad is another Lavell Ball type.  The minute things don’t go right, there’s always the risk that they go to the media to win their case against the FO.  I would imagine Chris, Woody, and Macc would prefer safer picks.

For all of you out there who are on the fence about Mayfield google Gary Patterson/James Mayfield. I did and came away with a different perspective than the above.

You obviously like Darnold/Rosen more than Mayfield. That's cool. The above is your take on a he said/she said situation and a lot of it sounded like sour grapes on Gary Pattersons part. Especially the part about summoning Mayfields parents to him and they didn't go. No way can you compare James Mayfield to Lavell Ball. That is laughable when comparing the two. James Mayfield was looking out for his kid and did what any father in that situation would do. He believed in his kid so much that he would not allow him to settle and he was correct. There is no evidence James Mayfield has interfered in any way at Oklahoma or Texas Tech at all. You sound like a guy who is just trying to make a case for the guys you like versus the guy you don't. Don't be that guy.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2 longtime diehards with the best interest of the NY Jets in mind. 

Plus I know a great Italian Deli here in N.J I can bring sandwiches that taste like they came from Brooklyn. 

There is no substitute. Just go to Defontes in Red Hook. Can't be beat.

52 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So you sign Cousins you still need a legit #1 WR and OL help. 

We can continue to develop our WRs and hopefully find a QB who can take advantage of the opportunities that Robby Anderson opens up for other players.  We will also be getting Enunwa back which will help.

As for Oline I hope we either sign weston richburg or draft a center in the 2nd round - we need to fill that position and hopefully it will elevate the play of the entire group.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the guy got the most carries in the game, averages 2.6 ypc and barely even practiced the past 2 weeks.  using him over the other two rbs is a nice, subtle way to forward the tank!

Powell and McGuire should be splitting all the carries and Forte on the sidelines.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

My wife had the comment of the day for me yesterday. " You know why that guy Forte wears #22? Thats his average yards per carry 2.2".

the epitome of the head coach's stubbornness is when the jets are losing by 13 points midway through the 4th quarter, the running game isn't doing much and they hand it off to forte on 1st and 10 from their own 25.  if that's the best play you can come up with you're better off kneeling.

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

The Jets have to find a way to end up with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. I dont care how it gets done or what we have to give up because no price is too high to finally land a home grown franchise QB.

There is no chance that Mayfield goes in the second round and I would be very surprised if he isnt drafted in the top 10.

It’s not always that easy to move. A team like the bill’s have a ton of picks to offer next yr. philly was smart, they had to move up twice to get to #2. Some teams may not want to trade back that far if jets keep winning ?.. A lot of gms with these top picks have to win now anyway to keep their jobs, so they don’t care if you offer them #1 in 2020, 2021, ect

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

9ers are very likely to go #2. They likely don’t win again. 

Pretty sure that Garoppolo will be starting the rest of the season so the Niners are quite likely to win another game or two. We need the Giants to win a couple so they drop a few spots.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It’s not always that easy to move. A team like the bill’s have a ton of picks to offer next yr. philly was smart, they had to move up twice to get to #2. Some teams may not want to trade back that far if jets keep winning ?.. A lot of gms with these top picks have to win now anyway to keep their jobs, so they don’t care if you offer them #1 in 2020, 2021, ect

Believe me I realize its going to be damn hard to move up and thats why I wanted to start Hackenberg all season to ensure 2 or less wins.

Archived