Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Some recent interviews explaining why they agreed with continuing to start McClown and their oedigree

I think the reason that they have agreed with continuing to start McCown is that they don’t believe the other two are any good.  I can’t speak to your other point because I have no idea what that word is.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, section314 said:

I agree.If he got a shot vs. Clemson, Auburn or Bama, and did well, would be very interesting.  Wisconsin gets no respect...7 pt.dogs. 

Gotta agree with that. They do have a very strong defense and the only thing that worries me is that their offense is prone to turnovers. Wisconsin has a knack for capitalizing on other teams mistakes though and OSU will make some. I gotta go with Wisconsin here: Badgers 30 Buckeyes 24.

10 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Gotta agree with that. They do have a very strong defense and the only thing that worries me is that their offense is prone to turnovers. Wisconsin has a knack for capitalizing on other teams mistakes though and OSU will make some. I gotta go with Wisconsin here: Badgers 30 Buckeyes 24.

Me too. When they beat Iowa, weren't the only Hawkeye points off of a couple of pick six? Just concerned that a good OSU defense, with the usual amount of future pros, might be too much for a frosh QB. Just hope that both Wisconsin and Oklahoma hold serve to keep OSU and Alabama out.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:15 AM, section314 said:

Don't be too sure. If Oklahoma wins Saturday, and Mayfield has a big game in the playoffs against a really good defense, he may go top 3-5. 

At this point we probably need Mayfield to get caught with a hooker after punching her midget husband in the face to have a shot at him. 

There are six guys in the 1st round discussion.  If we pick around the 10 slot, there will probably be at least 3 left to choose from.  I don't know if any of them will be 'value' at the 10-slot, but all of them will likely be gone by the 42-slot so for once, I would like to see us roll the dice and overdraft a 1st round QB rather than play the safe card.  It's not even like we have to take the last one left.  We will have a choice but maybe that's what will scare Macc off.  The fear of picking the wrong one.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There are six guys in the 1st round discussion.  If we pick around the 10 slot, there will probably be at least 3 left to choose from.  I don't know if any of them will be 'value' at the 10-slot, but all of them will likely be gone by the 42-slot so for once, I would like to see us roll the dice and overdraft a 1st round QB rather than play the safe card.  It's not even like we have to take the last one left.  We will have a choice but maybe that's what will scare Macc off.  The fear of picking the wrong one.

We'll almost certainly have to trade up to get one of those top 6 (feels more like 5 to me) so now we're giving up, what's likely to be another 1st, to overdraft the 4th or 5th best QB in the  draft.

I agree, it's the right thing to do but it sucks.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

We'll almost certainly have to trade up to get one of those top 6 (feels more like 5 to me) so now we're giving up, what's likely to be another 1st, to overdraft the 4th or 5th best QB in the  draft.

I agree, it's the right thing to do but it sucks.  

SO you are saying that the top 6 QBs will all be taken in the top ten?

18 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

6 QBs in the top 10 is very unlikely.

I think the bigger questions is how many of these guys can start day 1.  

Obviously Rosen and Darnold can, and personally I think Mayfield has the experience to be a Day 1 starter, but Allen is absolutely not in the running to start for an NFL team day 1 and I personally dont think Rudolph is either.  Lamar Jackson could, if the offense really gets tailored to his strengths similar to what Washington did with RG III.

KC was in a rare situation to use a high pick on a QB who was going to sit for a year, but I simply dont see the Jets being able to do that

30 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well, I think it's 5 and yes I think they will all go in the top 10.  After the first 3 are off the board with the first three picks - the next two are going to go between 4 and 10.

There are about 10 teams potentially looking for a QB and if you want one you're not going to sit back and wait for someone else to take him.  Not this year.    

On 11/28/2017 at 1:22 PM, section314 said:

I agree.If he got a shot vs. Clemson, Auburn or Bama, and did well, would be very interesting.  Wisconsin gets no respect...7 pt.dogs. 

Now there is a kid who already did VERY well VS Bama, and Georgia (PS he beat them both), and this kid is 6’3” with a 69% completion rate vs a full time SEC schedule, and in a pro style offense, but wait there is more, 2 years ago he also got to play in the same spread offense as Baker Mayfield did, but only got 1/3 the playing time well because he was a true freshman, and only saw 3 starts because of an injury to the QB 1, and in start number 2 said QB himself was injured, but played through the injury, and started the next weeks game still very much injured before getting even further Injured in that game which would be his last game at this Big 12 school who runs a similar style spread offense, and in said QB’s short career in said offense as a true freshman not a 4th year senior he attempted 109 passes completing again 69% of those passes for 1265 yards 12 TD’s 2 INT’s, again remember as a TRUE freshman playing injured for some of his playing time.  Now the 109 pass attempts are just shy of 1/3 of Mayfield’s passing attempts this season to date, and if prorated which I don’t see being an unfair issue as they both would have played a very similar schedule, and soft ass defenses while playing in offenses built to put up video game like numbers heck one can even argue since he was a TRUE freshman he might have gotten better with more experience as the season went on, anyways so prorating those TRUE freshman stats here would be his stat line 3795 passing yards, 36 TD’s, 6 INT’s, 69% completion rate, and now here is Mayfields current stat line which has 29 more passing attempts 4097 passing yards, 37 TD’s, 5 INT’s, 71% competition rate as a 4th year senior.

Wait there is more, said kid had to sit out all of his Sophmore season after transferring schools because of a sex scandal at his former school that he wanted nothing to do with, and attended a JuCo college not playing football just so he could keep his education on schedule, and then finally after over a year away from football said kid had to go, and learn a pro style offense, and go into a QB competition, he had to prove he can handle the new offense, and WIN the job which he did in the spring without any doubts, now the kid struggled some early on in this run first, run heavy offense against tough opponents, BUT as the year went on, and he got more experience those struggles soon disappeared, and said QB has shown to be a leader, and a winner (against even tougher opponents that he faced earlier in the year), in just one season in the SEC after a full year off from playing football, and posses physical tools that are far superior to Mayfield when talking about translating to the NFL including a head start on the most important thing running a pro style offense, call plays in a huddle, and playing under Center in the pocket thou the kid can be mobile, and extend plays outside the pocket when needed, and hurt defenses with big plays while doing so, and also has the knowledge of the spread offense from his days back in the Big 12 in case the NFL team that drafts him has built in spread concepts into their existing offense, huge added bonus.

Now me I’m gonna draft Said QB way way way way way way way way earlier then Mayfield, and not just because Mayfield lacks the physical tools to be successful consistently making NFL reads, learning a Pro style offense, but most importantly IMO the lack of ability to make those most important NFL throws outside the numbers from the POCKET, while Said QB has proven he can do what Mayfield has done in a gimmick offense as a true freshman then moved on to the NFL minor league system rusty progressing into a full blown winner against the best college has to offer getting better each week, and most importantly to me throwing stats out the window passing the physical, and intangible eye test when studying this kids game, unfortunately for Mayfield he only passes the intangible part of the eye test for me, and it comes with an asterisk because he has shown some questionable off the field character concerns thou his on field intangibles are top notch.

In conclusion I wouldn’t draft Mayfield before RD 3 for the many reasons I posted above, he reminds me of Don the Magic man Majkowski, fun to watch, but no thanks as my starting QB.

As for said QB should he declare he is firmly planted as my top QB for the 2018 NFL draft ahead of Darnold something that I never thought would happen knocking Darnold to #2 of the 4 QB’s that I deem worthy as 1st round picks with Rosen, and Jackson the other 2, the rest are all mid round fodder IMO regardless that the stupid NFL will reach on probably 1-3 more QB’s this spring in the 1st because of how bad the position has become, and how desperate a lot of teams are to get a franchise QB even if it means convincing yourself you can fix, or develop him like the Jets did with Hack.

It’s a month later then last year, and he is not as disrespected as an NFL prospect as Mahomes was last season, but it’s official Lupz27 is going full on all in on one Jarrett Stidham as the Jets 1st round draft pick, and future franchise QB like I did last year with Mahomes (I still think Mahomes is better thou).

So yes Lupz27 2018 Stamp of approval QB love fest, and table pounding shall begin for Jarrett Stidham NOW, like it did for Mahomes back in October of last season, and it starts with a full on hijack of a thread about the most overrated college QB in terms of becoming a good NFL QB since Tim Tebow, and like Tebow before him Mayfield will get mad props as one of the greatest college QB’s, but like Tebow that is where it ends!

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Can anyone elaborate on how Auburn's offense is "Pro-Style"?  I have never seen Gus Malzahn's offense described that way and admittedly have not watched a ton of Auburn, so im not sure how often Stidham is under center.

It's not it's technically a Spread with heavy emphasis on the running game.  Chip Lindsey the new OC has added a lot of under center stuff and play action to maximized the potent passer he has in Stidham.  Although at it's base the offense is as gimmicky as it gets, I give them a ton of credit for diverse amounts of concepts they've incorporated throughout the season.  After the Clemson loss they opened it up more.  After the LSU lost they added more pro-style intermediate throws.  Against Alabama they ran a ton of shallow crossing routes.  Each week it's a new wrinkle.  With an arm talent like Stidham they could do a lot more, but there's plenty there for scouts to evaluate.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Now there is a kid who already did VERY well VS Bama, and Georgia (PS he beat them both), and this kid is 6’3” with a 69% completion rate vs a full time SEC schedule, and in a pro style offense, but wait there is more, 2 years ago he also got to play in the same spread offense as Baker Mayfield did, but only got 1/3 the playing time well because he was a true freshman, and only saw 3 starts because of an injury to the QB 1, and in start number 2 said QB himself was injured, but played through the injury, and started the next weeks game still very much injured before getting even further Injured in that game which would be his last game at this Big 12 school who runs a similar style spread offense, and in said QB’s short career in said offense as a true freshman not a 4th year senior he attempted 109 passes completing again 69% of those passes for 1265 yards 12 TD’s 2 INT’s, again remember as a TRUE freshman playing injured for some of his playing time.  Now the 109 pass attempts are just shy of 1/3 of Mayfield’s passing attempts this season to date, and if prorated which I don’t see being an unfair issue as they both would have played a very similar schedule, and soft ass defenses while playing in offenses built to put up video game like numbers heck one can even argue since he was a TRUE freshman he might have gotten better with more experience as the season went on, anyways so prorating those TRUE freshman stats here would be his stat line 3795 passing yards, 36 TD’s, 6 INT’s, 69% completion rate, and now here is Mayfields current stat line which has 29 more passing attempts 4097 passing yards, 37 TD’s, 5 INT’s, 71% competition rate as a 4th year senior.

Wait there is more, said kid had to sit out all of his Sophmore season after transferring schools because of a sex scandal at his former school that he wanted nothing to do with, and attended a JuCo college not playing football just so he could keep his education on schedule, and then finally after over a year away from football said kid had to go, and learn a pro style offense, and go into a QB competition, he had to prove he can handle the new offense, and WIN the job which he did in the spring without any doubts, now the kid struggled some early on in this run first, run heavy offense against tough opponents, BUT as the year went on, and he got more experience those struggles soon disappeared, and said QB has shown to be a leader, and a winner (against even tougher opponents that he faced earlier in the year), in just one season in the SEC after a full year off from playing football, and posses physical tools that are far superior to Mayfield when talking about translating to the NFL including a head start on the most important thing running a pro style offense, call plays in a huddle, and playing under Center in the pocket thou the kid can be mobile, and extend plays outside the pocket when needed, and hurt defenses with big plays while doing so, and also has the knowledge of the spread offense from his days back in the Big 12 in case the NFL team that drafts him has built in spread concepts into their existing offense, huge added bonus.

Now me I’m gonna draft Said QB way way way way way way way way earlier then Mayfield, and not just because Mayfield lacks the physical tools to be successful consistently making NFL reads, learning a Pro style offense, but most importantly IMO the lack of ability to make those most important NFL throws outside the numbers from the POCKET, while Said QB has proven he can do what Mayfield has done in a gimmick offense as a true freshman then moved on to the NFL minor league system rusty progressing into a full blown winner against the best college has to offer getting better each week, and most importantly to me throwing stats out the window passing the physical, and intangible eye test when studying this kids game, unfortunately for Mayfield he only passes the intangible part of the eye test for me, and it comes with an asterisk because he has shown some questionable off the field character concerns thou his on field intangibles are top notch.

In conclusion I wouldn’t draft Mayfield before RD 3 for the many reasons I posted above, he reminds me of Don the Magic man Majkowski, fun to watch, but no thanks as my starting QB.

As for said QB should he declare he is firmly planted as my top QB for the 2018 NFL draft ahead of Darnold something that I never thought would happen knocking Darnold to #2 of the 4 QB’s that I deem worthy as 1st round picks with Rosen, and Jackson the other 2, the rest are all mid round fodder IMO regardless that the stupid NFL will reach on probably 1-3 more QB’s this spring in the 1st because of how bad the position has become, and how desperate a lot of teams are to get a franchise QB even if it means convincing yourself you can fix, or develop him like the Jets did with Hack.

It’s a month later then last year, and he is not as disrespected as an NFL prospect as Mahomes was last season, but it’s official Lupz27 is going full on all in on one Jarrett Stidham as the Jets 1st round draft pick, and future franchise QB like I did last year with Mahomes (I still think Mahomes is better thou).

So yes Lupz27 2018 Stamp of approval QB love fest, and table pounding shall begin for Jarrett Stidham NOW, like it did for Mahomes back in October of last season, and it starts with a full on hijack of a thread about the most overrated college QB in terms of becoming a good NFL QB since Tim Tebow, and like Tebow before him Mayfield will get mad props as one of the greatest college QB’s, but like Tebow that is where it ends!

Have said it 1000 times; he has the best "COMBINATION" of QB traits/skill sets in the draft.  You can name any QB trait/skill set you want (i.e., size, arm strength/talent, touch, athleticism, accuracy, decision making, reading defenses, going through progressions, footwork...etc...etc.) and Stidham is going to be elite at it or well above average.  The only thing one can question is game experience.  Even that can be argued since he has 15 starts which can potentially grow to 17 plus he played in the 4th quarter of 7 other games as a freshman.  That's a lot more game experience than Trubisky who went 2nd overall.  If we're honest every SEC game should count as 2 games played or at least 1 1/2.  He's the safest QB pick in the draft not named Rosen IMO.  I remember watching the 2014 Elite 11 coverage on ESPN back and in the day and Dilfer said about Stidham [paraphrasing] "Stidham is not going to win the whole thing (i.e. finish 1st in the Elite 11 rankings) but you know he's going to be high up there in the 3-5 range.  He's just steady".  For those who care Stidham did finish in that range ahead of Rosen BTW who just made it at the 11th spot; Darnold did not make the 11.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:50 AM, section314 said:

Me too. When they beat Iowa, weren't the only Hawkeye points off of a couple of pick six? Just concerned that a good OSU defense, with the usual amount of future pros, might be too much for a frosh QB. Just hope that both Wisconsin and Oklahoma hold serve to keep OSU and Alabama out.

You sir are correct. While turnovers will be a concern for Wisconsin their defense is pretty tough. I think they can handle Ohio State. Especially since Barrett will play after having minor knee surgery earlier in the week. I think this is a huge mistake on Meyers part. Surgery is still surgery no matter how minor. Will it effect Barrett physically? Or mentally? Hard questions to answer until we see him in a game situation. I expect Wisconsin to come hard after Barrett and containing him will be the key to this match-up. I still stand by my earlier prediction and expect Wisconsin to win. Remember Oklahoma held OSU to 16 points at home and we know how porous their defense can be. It was earlier in the season though and while OSU has come a long way since then the Iowa game stands out in my mind. That coupled with Barrett's minor surgery earlier this week all factor in to my prediction. Wisconsin should win this game outright.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You sir are correct. While turnovers will be a concern for Wisconsin their defense is pretty tough. I think they can handle Ohio State. Especially since Barrett will play after having minor knee surgery earlier in the week. I think this is a huge mistake on Meyers part. Surgery is still surgery no matter how minor. Will it effect Barrett physically? Or mentally? Hard questions to answer until we see him in a game situation. I expect Wisconsin to come hard after Barrett and containing him will be the key to this match-up. I still stand by my earlier prediction and expect Wisconsin to win. Remember Oklahoma held OSU to 16 points at home and we know how porous their defense can be. It was earlier in the season though and while OSU has come a long way since then the Iowa game stands out in my mind. That coupled with Barrett's minor surgery earlier this week all factor in to my prediction. Wisconsin should win this game outright.

Hope you are right. Looking forward to the game, especially to watching the OSU center and the usual compliment of good Wisconsin O-linemen.  Macc....hint, hint.:D

23 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Baker Mayfield one of the greatest college QB's?  and you're comparing him to Tim Tebow?  GTFO.  

Tebow has a Heisman (first ever sophomore to win one), the first QB ever to throw and run for 20 TD's in the same season, the most efficient passer in SEC history (4th best in college history though Mayfield is 2nd/Sam Bradford #1, go figure Big 12 pukes), Tebow has 2 national champ rings and was one of the most unstoppable college players of all time.  

If Baker Mayfield is one of the great college QB's ever, so is Geno Smith. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Mayfield is either going early second or someone might trade back into the late first for.  Imo that’s best case scenario for him.  It’s just as likely he’s a third rounder.

If we could get him in the "early second" I'd literally sh*t kittens runnings up to the podium to make that pick.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

If we could get him in the "early second" I'd literally sh*t kittens runnings up to the podium to make that pick.

Only way is he drops to the 2nd is if He craps the bed at the combine. At the moment he's perhaps the 3rd QB off the the board, and the other two are 1# and 2# picks overall. 

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm stealing that saying haha 

This is the one position, especially if we select around 10, that if we like someone enough to take in the 2nd round I think we should reach and just take him with our 1st. I think it's more important we get the player we seem as "our guy", nothing would irritate me more than finding out we passed on a QB we wanted thinking we can get him in round 2. (This is assuming you think that player is a clear top 2 round player)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/550373/baker-mayfield

Not a bad college career.  I'd take a chance on this resume of production.  We'll see if he tops it off with a Heisman.

I'm looking forward to watching the college playoffs (rare for me) to see Mayfield (top rated QB in college) play against a more elite opponent, see how to does, see if he rises to the challenge or falls flat. 

It's a damn shame USC (Darnold, 16th rated QB), UCLA (Rosen, 40th rated QB) and Wyoming (Allan, not in top 50 in QBR) all failed to lead their teams to the CFB playoffs so we could judge them on the highest stage vs. the best teams as well.

The other QB's in are a uninspiring lot.  Kelly Bryant for Clemson (Junior) appears somewhat mediocre production wise.  Jake Fromm at Georgia (Freshman) is not coming out nor is Jalen Hurts from Alabama (Sophomore).   

Best thing possible for Mayfield's future is to win the Heisman, and win this year's National Title.  He does those two things while playing well, I draft him with my NY Jets round #1 pick, end of story.

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/550373/baker-mayfield

Not a bad college career.  I'd take a chance on this resume of production.  We'll see if he tops it off with a Heisman.

I'm looking forward to watching the college playoffs (rare for me) to see Mayfield (top rated QB in college) play against a more elite opponent, see how to does, see if he rises to the challenge or falls flat. 

It's a damn shame USC (Darnold, 16th rated QB), UCLA (Rosen, 40th rated QB) and Wyoming (Allan, not in top 50 in QBR) all failed to lead their teams to the CFB playoffs so we could judge them on the highest stage vs. the best teams as well.

The other QB's in are a uninspiring lot.  Kelly Bryant for Clemson (Junior) appears somewhat mediocre production wise.  Jake Fromm at Georgia (Freshman) is not coming out nor is Jalen Hurts from Alabama (Sophomore).   

Best thing possible for Mayfield's future is to win the Heisman, and win this year's National Title.  He does those two things while playing well, I draft him with my NY Jets round #1 pick, end of story.

I have nothing to base this off of cause I'm too lazy to do this sort or research but I'd have to imagine the vast majority of good QBs in the NFL did not win a national title. You can't really grade players based on their team accomplishments and associate that with pro success.

I do agree that the CFP could help or hurt Mayfield though since the level of competition he played against is brought up as a negative for him.

On 11/30/2017 at 10:41 AM, Lupz27 said:

16/32 and a whopping 145.  Is that what happens when a team gets to see him twice?  

Or what’s the excuse why he puked himself on the big stage?

Lupz sure likes using the Tebow comparison to scare ppl away from Mayfield. I think Deshaun Watson is a much better and closer fit talent-wise. Tebow was always a mack truck style fullback playing QB, running RPO when nobody else was. It was a huge advantage. Furthermore Tebow had vividly awkward, poor throwing mechanics. Mayfield actually has a pretty, compact release and gets it out quick. Personally I just don't get the comparison. 

If you want to compare Mayfield's floor to Doug Futie, well that's way more fitting. And, fwiw, not a terrible floor.

Archived