Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

As much as I HATE to agree with you on any topic whatsoever I think you may actually be right since it doesnt appear that they will just let go of the 2 QB's they have been stashing on the roster for at least 2 years, they didnt want to trade them (there was no value anyway) and the optics of cutting them now and starting all over would be horrible. Not to mention that we actually do need a CB so it would be both a value and a need pick. hahahahahaha

I was originally hoping for Rosen but since that is a crack pipe dream now I'd be happy with Mayfield or Stidham. Leaning towards Stidham more and more......Of course, I haven't seen many reports of Mac or his team scouting him though. So much for a young QB with real potential this year it seems. 

After 47 years of being let down by this team you would think I would be used to this feeling of less than enthusiastic pessimism regarding the draft. Although despite a sh*tty record I am still feeling better than this time last year when the losses were flat out  EMBARRASSING.  

For the record, I hate agreeing with me, too

49 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If he becomes a 10 year starter & not Gholston its all good. Who knows what Deshaun Watson ends up being? Don't forget that Houston team almost beat the Pats last year in Gillette (they are pretty good) & he was throwing to Hopkins & Fuller! Hopkins is arguably right now the best WR in football! Look at Dak, doesn't look so good when his line breaks down & without Zeke.

Everything hinges on this offseason between Veteran QBs & the draft there might be some crazy sh*t developing. Cousins- Keenum- Eli- Smith- Bridgewater- Brees- Tannyhill- Brissett - Taylor, who knows whats gonna happen? Then quite a lot of QBs in this draft Darnold-Rosen-Mayfield-Allen- Jackson- Stidham & a few more.

Dan Snyders a nut, watch him say f*ck it with Cousins & trade up for Darnold or Rosen in some crazy fashion. Snyder can't stand that Philly has Wentz cheap & now the Giants are in line for a QB. Wouldn't shock me at all if he did everything he can to get past the Giants. Bills are getting a QB, no one has the ammo they do to move up. It would be absolutely wild to see a player like Jackson slip down to us, what does Macc do? 

I just keep believing that EVENTUALLY the Jets just get lucky. We are DUE. But the 2018 draft is gonna be wild, unless of course we've already signed Cousins. If that's the case lets hope we're trading back for more picks if possible.

Definitely hear you on this, and it might be unfair to expect Maccagnan to fail this offseason because he failed in 2015. Who knows, maybe he learned (not likely) or gets lucky, like you said. A lot can change.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Definitely hear you on this, and it might be unfair to expect Maccagnan to fail this offseason because he failed in 2015. Who knows, maybe he learned (not likely) or gets lucky, like you said. A lot can change.

careful dude, that sounds suspiciously like optimism..........dont ruin your rep now after such a consistent streak.

I am hoping that Josh Allen does well in combine, etc and become the #3 qb taken by either Denver, Bills or some other team (not us).   Then Baker is there for Jets (even with trade up).  Also hoping some team falls in love with Lamar Jackson.  The more QBs available the better.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Some fantasy football show was highlighting Alex Smith and they replayed his four TDs against the Jets last week. Unreal how far open the receivers were on each of them. Unreal that we dropped two high picks on safeties and any QB can still get anything he wants in the middle of the field 

Just 2 Safeties?  What about drafting an ILB in the 1st and trading for another? 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No, no, no. Not a bust in that he sucks. He’s a guy who will play ten years and start for most of those. But I don’t think he’ll ever be worth the sixth pick, and he’ll only be mentioned down the line when writers list the players taken before Deshaun Watson. That’s Jets luck.

At the game last week, my buddy compared Adams to Bryan Thomas.  

53 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I am hoping that Josh Allen does well in combine, etc and become the #3 qb taken by either Denver, Bills or some other team (not us).   Then Baker is there for Jets (even with trade up).  Also hoping some team falls in love with Lamar Jackson.  The more QBs available the better.

I'm not sure I can see Denver taking Mayfield. I see Elway really liking the prototypical QB so Allen could be in play for them. I could see the Cardinals or Bills liking him and I think that will come down to compensation in a trade and the Bills have a lot of ammo. 

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

At this point it looks as though Mayfield will be long gone by the time we pick. Sucks but it is what it is. I fully expect McCown to be the starter next year and he will want starters money. Anyone with the illusion that he will sign for less is kidding themselves. I can't blame the guy though. He is up there in age as we all know and has been a career backup making no money. It's amazing to me how history repeats itself with this team. McCown is sh*tzpatrick all over again. Sure he's a good guy and everyone likes him but he is a career back-up having the season of his life and is not likely to repeat it. If he does its all well and good but it was one thing to pay him 6-8 mil for it and quite another to pay him 15-17 mil for it.

McCown is never going to have a chance to make this kind of $ ever again nor any place else. It's the definition of fools gold, Fitzpatrick all over again. But McCagnan and Bowles are only worried about 2018. From their perspective alone, it makes sense if you want to have a probably mediocre 2018 and get another contract themselves. 

Reminds me a bit of what happened when my house got beat up in Sandy. 2 choices; fight City Hall and the Buildings Department to simply rebuild on the beat to hell structure already in place, or knock it down and start over. I had insurance, but only to a point. Status quo would leave me with a smaller less energy efficient house with few new amenities but  I would be back in sooner. But long term such a house would really be on borrowed time because elevation and building codes mean at some point it would be impossible to maintain and insure. Knock it down and start over, and it's  brand new house, but 2 or 3 years down the line. We took the latter course, but that meant wandering a bit for 2 years.

Doesn't look like there's any long term plan in Florham Park. Rather 2 guys trying to figure out how they can look good enough year to year to keep their jobs and get contract extensions. We know based on how long the Johnsons let the Ryan debacle play out they value continuity. Look back to Fitzpatrick;  we've been through this just 2 years ago. If you think this is a team with young talented players, what happens when McCown turns back into a pumpkin? What are you left with, and who is the QB then? The rebuild would mean some heartache, but the longer it gets delayed, no young franchise QB, the worse it will be in the long term. You cannot keeping patching and duct taping the QB slot. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Some fantasy football show was highlighting Alex Smith and they replayed his four TDs against the Jets last week. Unreal how far open the receivers were on each of them. Unreal that we dropped two high picks on safeties and any QB can still get anything he wants in the middle of the field 

I was guilty of being all in on Adams. But after seeing his play this year It’s evident he wasnt worth a top 10 pick IMO. And I was totally against drafting Watson. I thought he’d be a bust. Could have I been more wrong. Every time I saw him play I snarled and stomped my foot DAMN this kid is DA BOMB and he was sitting right there in our lap.  Then we pick yet another safety in rd 2 SMH and a WR we don’t even use in the 3rd.  SMH.  They say the draft is a crapshoot but the higher need has to be addressed first unless you have an absolute blue chip prospect.  

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Unreal how you turned that into any QB, anytime.  Maye is still one of the least targeted safeties in football. For a rookie that is impressive. 

Adams is hated because he isn't Watson. 

It's so lame how you trolls invented the "shut down safety" standard to hate on the kid.

Ok hey Houston it’s Mac. I’d like to propose a trade. Ok I’m listening go ahead. Great, I’ll give you our 2 slamming new safeties and Hackenwack for Watson. I’m only doing this because well we really need a developmental QB and are willing to give you more than his worth. CLICK. Houston? Hello? Houston? Hello? Houston do we have a problem?

mayfields jersey # would be 4185389-6.

guy really needs to work on his initial burst and keeping a lower center of gravity. Goes down way to easily.

weeping after poor performances may also be an issue with him.

Dont really have a problem drafting as long as we draft another shortly after for insurance , ala Griffin/Cousins.

33 minutes ago, TnT said:

mayfields jersey # would be 4185389-6.

guy really needs to work on his initial burst and keeping a lower center of gravity. Goes down way to easily.

weeping after poor performances may also be an issue with him.

Dont really have a problem drafting as long as we draft another shortly after for insurance , ala Griffin/Cousins.

Ehh public drunkenness.. typical 21 year old college crime. Not too worried tbh. Now if it was chronic ..different story.

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Will he be there at #10?

I don’t believe so. Mahomes was projected to a be a late 1st round pick to a 2nd rounder last year but got moved up on team’s boards. We cannot sit back and not be aggressive this year even if it means moving up to #3. At that point, we will be guaranteed either Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I don’t believe so. Mahomes was projected to a be a late 1st round pick to a 2nd rounder last year but got moved up on team’s boards. We cannot sit back and not be aggressive this year even if it means moving up to #3. At that point, we will be guaranteed either Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. 

We have to stop being a team who's goal is to go 8-8. Time to step up and do something. WE should be trying to WIN the division, not a wild card. We should be trying to consistently be a playoff caliber team. Without the QB we are just going to be the same old JETS.

Pay the cost to go get your QB. Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield... Stidham or whoever the GM and Scouts believe is the top guy. But it is time to do something and get your guy. No more half @ss attempts and being clever and getting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. And for gods sake no more old veteran never haves or "hold the fort" guys. 

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Will he be there at #10?

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

He definitely won’t be there if he beats Georgia and Alabama.

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I'm not so sure.  Mahomes is bigger and has a bigger arm.  Those are two things that automatically move you up.  Some teams will always avoid smaller guys with less velocity.  Mayfield may well be smaller than listed, though to be fair, his mugshot lists him at 6'1"

6 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Will he be there at #10?

No....They'll have to get into the top 5 - probably go 3rd.  Someone will jump up to grab him.  If we want him we're going to need to give up a lot to go from 10 to 3....probably won't have enough to make it happen.

If we lose out and have the 6th pick there's a chance - but it's going to cost us both 2's and likely next year's 1.

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

Not only will he not be there at 10 he will go number 3 right after Rosen and Darnold and the Jets better be the team that trades up for him.

I get the sense is Cleveland-Giants - Rosen-Darnlond (or reverse) and then it comes down to Denver and the Jets - both teams will be all in on a QB.  

It's going to cost us a lot to get there - 

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No....They'll have to get into the top 5 - probably go 3rd.  Someone will jump up to grab him.  If we want him we're going to need to give up a lot to go from 10 to 3....probably won't have enough to make it happen.

If we lose out and have the 6th pick there's a chance - but it's going to cost us both 2's and likely next year's 1.

We better give up whatever it takes to get this guy. Maccagnan already screwed things up by signing McCown to start and now he has to pay the high price for Mayfield. 

Archived