Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im hoping the Miller tweets are just him pushing his guy in Allen.

More importantly though, it seems to me that Mac put a HUGE emphasis on competitiveness and football character in this draft.  Again I dont want this thread to derail like the rest of them, but Adams, Stewart, Hansen and Dylan Donahue are all extremely competitive guys, who put football first - that is the way you pick players to avoid guys like Gohlston who didnt even like football.

For that reason, it seems to me that Mayfield would be Mac's guy and that he simply shouldnt overthink it.  We run a short passing offense that takes shots downfield off play action - isnt that exactly what Mayfield excels at?

Taking it one step forward, Ive argued before that its easy to say "the Jets should do such and such..." as a fan who isnt betting their job and career on a player/pick.  These guys put their job security and future in the league first, as they should.  However in this particular situation, if Mac doesnt find a QB in 2018, he is done as a GM, so if there has ever been a time to push your chips in on a guy like Mayfield, wouldnt now be it?  He cant play it safe and simply take the BPA (if we dont sign cousins or something), as the time for that has run out and he wont be around to pick in 2019 if he does that.  If he is happy with the structure that is in place in the lockerroom, and happy with the leadership in Maye, Leo, DD, etc then it seems like now is the exact right time to take a big shot on not only filling the QB spot for years to come, but possibly finding the spark that this team needs from a leadership standpoint.

Any GM who drafts Christian Hackenberg with the 51st overall pick in the draft, I have zero confidence in making the right decision on a QB two years later.

Drafting Hackenberg so early, was so much wishful thinking that that his measurements could compensate for three years of of inaccurate college football... defies logic. 

Likewise drafting a pair of safeties one and two, as good as they are, on a team with serious QB/OL deficiencies was a luxury this team could not afford.

Hoping that MacCagnan can now make the right decision on a QB is pure dreaming. Thee decision of the coach to go with McCown all season, tells you this combination of GM and coach are more concerned with job security that winning championships.

9 hours ago, legler82 said:

His height, his arm, his character, his offense, his conference; it all worries me.  This thread worries me as it seems to be a Mayfield love fest.

With no shot at Darnold and Rosen - IMO Mayfield becomes the next best option....Yes, he comes with concerns but he's also a very exciting player that also has a lot of the things you look for in a franchise QB. 

It's time to start loving this guy and hope Mac finds a way to get him.

10 hours ago, legler82 said:

Those Heisman winning QBs are quite the catch.  Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, Robert Griffin III, Troy Smith, Matt Leinart, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware...etc.

The trend has been much better of late: Bradford, Newton, Winston Mariota.  It's not the kiss of death it used to be and lets be honest, the trophy is pretty stupid.  The best player in the country doesn't win it each year and in many instances, the winner wasn't even the best player on their team.  

7 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

The Jets front office specalize in drafting  "hope that they can develop" type qbs

This regime for sure.

My position on this is; if Mac didn't think Watson was worthy of 6th overall, how on earth does anyone believe that Mac will value Baker freaking Mayfield at #10 overall???  They're not even comparable prospects.  Mayfield is college as college QB's get.  He may change some minds in the playoff, but I've got a really strong feeling he'll be exposed.  What he'll have to face very shortly, he hasn't seen since he played Ohio St. last year and was absolutely terrible. 

That said, someone will take him in the 1st round.  No doubt in my mind. But if the Jets are staring Ward or Key or James at #10 and Mayfield is on the board, every single Jets fan on earth is lying to themselves thinking Mayfield is rated higher on the Jets board, or anyone's board for that matter. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

This regime for sure.

My position on this is; if Mac didn't think Watson was worthy of 6th overall, how on earth does anyone believe that Mac will value Baker freaking Mayfield at #10 overall???  They're not even comparable prospects.  Mayfield is college as college QB's get.  He may change some minds in the playoff, but I've got a really strong feeling he'll be exposed.  What he'll have to face very shortly, he hasn't seen since he played Ohio St. last year and was absolutely terrible. 

That said, someone will take him in the 1st round.  No doubt in my mind. But if the Jets are staring Ward or Key or James at #10 and Mayfield is on the board, every single Jets fan on earth is lying to themselves thinking Mayfield is rated higher on the Jets board, or anyone's board for that matter. 

Hypothetical scenario.

Baker embarrasses Georgia’s Defense but loses to Alabama. Where does his stock go then? 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

My position on this is; if Mac didn't think Watson was worthy of 6th overall, how on earth does anyone believe that Mac will value Baker freaking Mayfield at #10 overall???  They're not even comparable prospects. 

I honestly think a Macc wanted to give his 2nd round QB a chance before pulling the trigger on a QB again. We added what we hope to be a staple for our team for the next decade in Adams and it allowed the team and Macc to evaluate Hack. Judging by how we approached the preseason that seems to be spot on. I also think Macc believes Hack is no longer an option for QBOTF and can only hope he turns into trade bait, leading us back to QB this year. 

2017 draft

Unknown 2nd round QB + franchise player > Unknown 1st round QB

2018 draft

Unknown 1st round QB > a known Hack

You can certainly disagree with this type of evaluation but I firmly believe Macc will pull the trigger on Mayfield if he is there for us because the situation is totally different compared to a year ago. I also think not knowing what you had in the roster is another reason to heavily load up on players outside of QB this past draft. Having McCown start, as much as it wasn't exciting, shows us that this team does have talent to compete with any team outside of QB. Makes it easier to justify splurging in FA on Cousins or going all in on a QB in the first round.

If you think Macc intentionally passed on a franchise QB while knowing what Hack was because he was embarrassed to take another QB so soon then I agree he should be shown the door, I just don't think that was the case.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

D'sHypothetical scenario.

Baker embarrasses Georgia’s Defense but loses to Alabama. Where does his stock go then? 

That's a hard hypothetical scenario without seeing how he played in both games and he's not getting any breaks facing Clemson.  That pass rush is fierce and will give Oklahoma fits.  If he tears up the playoffs, I do think my position might change but I don't think it will change Mac's position.  Again, Watson literally gave 2 of the best performances I've ever seen from a college QB vs. Bama D's that were being called best of all time and people around here were still calling him a "3rd round prospect at best".

Like I've said before, Mayfield will go 1st round.  No doubt.  I just don't see Mac having him as a top 10 prospect because he's simply not.

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I honestly think a Macc wanted to give his 2nd round QB a chance before pulling the trigger on a QB again. We added what we hope to be a staple for our team for the next decade in Adams and it allowed the team and Macc to evaluate Hack. Judging by how we approached the preseason that seems to be spot on. I also think Macc believes Hack is no longer an option for QBOTF and can only hope he turns into trade bait, leading us back to QB this year. 

2017 draft

Unknown 2nd round QB + franchise player > Unknown 1st round QB

2018 draft

Unknown 1st round QB > a known Hack

You can certainly disagree with this type of evaluation but I firmly believe Macc will pull the trigger on Mayfield if he is there for us because the situation is totally different compared to a year ago. I also think not knowing what you had in the roster is another reason to heavily load up on players outside of QB this past draft. Having McCown start, as much as it wasn't exciting, shows us that this team does have talent to compete with any team outside of QB. Makes it easier to justify splurging in FA on Cousins or going all in on a QB in the first round.

If you think Macc intentionally passed on a franchise QB while knowing what Hack was because he was embarrassed to take another QB so soon then I agree he should be shown the door, I just don't think that was the case.

I'd be cool with this logic from Mac if McCown didn't come into the fold.  Which means,  he didn't have any confidence whatsoever in the 2 QB's he selected. Don't give me that mentorship sh*t. lol  And if either deterred Mac from taking a QB, then our assumption he's in over his head is all but confirmed.

I don't really understand your equations.  The Jets didn't take a 2nd round QB and who was this unknown QB you're referring too in each scenario? A bit confused there.

I think Mac doesn't deviate from his "big board" no matter the scenario and that's how you've ended up with the selection of non-premium positions over premium positions each 1st round of the draft since he's been here.  Therefore, I don't see him having Baker Mayfield rated as a top 10 prospect because he's simply not a top 10 prospect.  The only reason I think he's a 1st round pick is because he's a QB and most teams other than the Jets understand positional value when it comes draft day. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd be cool with this logic from Mac if McCown didn't come into the fold.  Which means,  he didn't have any confidence whatsoever in the 2 QB's he selected. Don't give me that mentorship sh*t. lol  And if either deterred Mac from taking a QB, then our assumption he's in over his head is all but confirmed.

I don't really understand your equations.  The Jets didn't take a 2nd round QB and who was this unknown QB you're referring too in each scenario? A bit confused there.

I think Mac doesn't deviate from his "big board" no matter the scenario and that's how you've ended up with the selection of non-premium positions over premium positions each 1st round of the draft since he's been here.  Therefore, I don't see him having Baker Mayfield rated as a top 10 prospect because he's simply not a top 10 prospect.  The only reason I think he's a 1st round pick is because he's a QB and most teams other than the Jets understand positional value when it comes draft day. 

The second Rosen and Darnold are taken off the board we need to trade up to the next spot and take Mayfield   Period. Not because he is good, not because he is NFL ready but because he is arguably the 3rd best QB in the draft. Only way this doesn’t happen is if we get Cousin or another higher tier FA QB if there are any. Honestly I personally do this even if we did get Cousin. What are we missing out on in the first if Baker stinks? Another  itsy bitsy linebacker or motivational speaking sans athletic safety? Nothing to lose sweet one, nothing to lose. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I didn't think signing McCown was a death sentence for Hack, that's setting the bar pretty low if you ask me. I think Hack was set up to win the QB competition and just couldn't do it. McCown would have turned into just a mentor had Hack won the competition. I think Hack is just that bad though.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Unknown 2nd round QB (who is already on the roster) + franchise player > Unknown 1st round QB

I didn't think I needed to add that extra part in. Unless you think Macc saw enough from Hack in the Philly game to decide he had no potential it seems logical to give the kid a shot since you already made the investment. If Macc thought Watson was a sure fire franchise QB then I'm sure he'd have picked him but then again if teams knew what Watson was going to be he'd have gone #1.

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

This makes perfect sense, outside of the QB position. I think our situation is totally different in regards to QB this time around. I would be very shocked if we don't go all in on QB this offseason.

I'd be willing have a signature bet for the 2018 season if you'd like. Macc takes Mayfield if he is on the board over a top 10 talent (assuming we didn't sign Cousins and Rosen/Darnold aren't options) and I get to write something in your signature. If Macc passes on Mayfield for any other player then you get to write something in my signature. 

If Mayfield goes before our pick, we sign Cousins, or draft Darnold/Rosen then the bet is void. 

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

The second Rosen and Darnold are taken off the board we need to trade up to the next spot and take Mayfield   Period. Not because he is good, not because he is NFL ready but because he is arguably the 3rd best QB in the draft. Only way this doesn’t happen is if we get Cousin or another higher tier FA QB if there are any. Honestly I personally do this even if we did get Cousin. What are we missing out on in the first if Baker stinks? Another  itsy bitsy linebacker or motivational speaking sans athletic safety? Nothing to lose sweet one, nothing to lose. 

Was with you right up until the Cousins + trade up for Mayfield. I'd have to imagine Cousins signing with us would be contingent on us not drafting a QB with a premium pick. (Our top 4 this year)

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Was with you right up until the Cousins + trade up for Mayfield. I'd have to imagine Cousins signing with us would be contingent on us not drafting a QB with a premium pick. (Our top 4 this year)

With Cousin we can wait till later. Draft Baker the pick right after the clause in the Cousins contract then. Good looking out. 

47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Are you working under the assumption the Jets cant trade up for Rosen or Darnold?  Because if we're trading valuable draft picks for a QB, it'd really prefer that it be one of those 2.  Further, I don't think you'll need to trade up for Baker Mayfield.  I don't see a scenario where he's taken before the Jets pick.  So I wouldn't trade up for Mayfield, especially if you're breaking the bank for Cousins.  

While I understand your position, Mac sucks at drafting so why not take the QB and screw anything else,  I don't think this is the way to fix that problem.  And again, nothing we've seen from Big Mac would make me think he has the balls to make a move like this.  It's career suicide if Mayfield sucks, which the odds are very high that in fact will be the case. 

37 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I didn't think signing McCown was a death sentence for Hack, that's setting the bar pretty low if you ask me. I think Hack was set up to win the QB competition and just couldn't do it. McCown would have turned into just a mentor had Hack won the competition. I think Hack is just that bad though.

Unknown 2nd round QB (who is already on the roster) + franchise player > Unknown 1st round QB

I didn't think I needed to add that extra part in. Unless you think Macc saw enough from Hack in the Philly game to decide he had no potential it seems logical to give the kid a shot since you already made the investment. If Macc thought Watson was a sure fire franchise QB then I'm sure he'd have picked him but then again if teams knew what Watson was going to be he'd have gone #1.

This makes perfect sense, outside of the QB position. I think our situation is totally different in regards to QB this time around. I would be very shocked if we don't go all in on QB this offseason.

I'd be willing have a signature bet for the 2018 season if you'd like. Macc takes Mayfield if he is on the board over a top 10 talent (assuming we didn't sign Cousins and Rosen/Darnold aren't options) and I get to write something in your signature. If Macc passes on Mayfield for any other player then you get to write something in my signature. 

If Mayfield goes before our pick, we sign Cousins, or draft Darnold/Rosen then the bet is void. 

Well, you were fooling yourself if you didn't know McCown was signed to be the starter, which means, Mac knew Hack sucked.  If they had any confidence whatsoever that Hack or Petty could be a viable starting QB, you give them the entire offseason and sign a McCown like player way into  camp and few weeks before the season starts.   They brought him in before the draft.  The intentions were quite clear.

I guess I'm confused about the unknown part...are you saying their unknown because you don't know what they're going to turn out to be in the NFL?  Because unknown players typically dont get selected in the 1st/2nd round. 

And I think the part your glossing over is, Mac has shown zero ability to identify QB talent.  So Mac not thinking Watson wasn't a franchise QB isn't a surprise.  Homey took a kid who cant even dress with a top 50 pick. 

I'm down with a signature bet but lets revisit it once draft position is solidified.  

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Are you working under the assumption the Jets cant trade up for Rosen or Darnold?  Because if we're trading valuable draft picks for a QB, it'd really prefer that it be one of those 2.  Further, I don't think you'll need to trade up for Baker Mayfield.  I don't see a scenario where he's taken before the Jets pick.  So I wouldn't trade up for Mayfield, especially if you're breaking the bank for Cousins.  

While I understand your position, Mac sucks at drafting so why not take the QB and screw anything else,  I don't think this is the way to fix that problem.  And again, nothing we've seen from Big Mac would make me think he has the balls to make a move like this.  It's career suicide if Mayfield sucks, which the odds are very high that in fact will be the case. 

Yes. I’m assuming they go 1-2 or maybe 1-3 with a trade up. No way in hell Macc trades up like that. That’s Trader Mike style. In case you forgot this is the guy who took Hack in the second because too good a prospect to risk it. He has to do something . That something will be get the third best QB in the draft. Buys him close to three more years in at his job. 

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Don’t understand why you don’t think he would do it. He’s the Heisman winner and if he stomps out these SEC teams he is going to shoot up boards. Mac knows he needs his guy THIS go around.

Mac's history of QB evaluation shows he values "traits" and "physical tools" over actually being good at playing football. Josh Allen is our guy.

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes. I’m assuming they go 1-2 or maybe 1-3 with a trade up. No way in hell Macc trades up like that. That’s Trader Mike style. In case you forgot this is the guy who took Hack in the second because too good a prospect to risk it. He has to do something . That something will be get the third best QB in the draft. Buys him close to three more years in at his job. 

As the draft order currently stands It'll be impossible to trade up for either Rosen or Darnold.  Cleveland and the Giants are NOT trading out no matter what you offer them.

You could offer them your entire draft for the next two years and they still wouldn't do it. 

On 11/13/2017 at 8:18 AM, RESNewYork said:

Lamar Jackson. 

Leave him for Cleveland. Jackson is nothing more than a great athlete. Todd McShay, Mel Kiper and MANY NFL scouts have doubts that Jackson won't end up as a WR in the NFL. You suggest a top-10 pick for this guy? Your not in touch with reality pal.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

The second Rosen and Darnold are taken off the board we need to trade up to the next spot and take Mayfield   Period. Not because he is good, not because he is NFL ready but because he is arguably the 3rd best QB in the draft.

I agree. I have been on the Mayfield bandwagon all season. He will be another Russell Wilson. Highly competitive with great athleticism and enough arm strength to get it done. Thicker than Manziel and probably as fast, I don't worry about his supposed "recklessness" he is just a kid and will grow up when it becomes a job.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As the draft order currently stands It'll be impossible to trade up for either Rosen or Darnold.  Cleveland and the Giants are NOT trading out no matter what you offer them.

You could offer them your entire draft for the next two years and they still wouldn't do it. 

Yep . So hell or high water we get Baker or Josh Allen. Personally Baker > Allen 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep . So hell or high water we get Baker or Josh Allen. Personally Baker > Allen 

People are assuming the Bills/Denver/ect wouldn’t trade up to 3 and seal a deal. That’s not the case. I could see all three going in a row and we need to trade up first and be apart of that.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

People are assuming the Bills/Denver/ect wouldn’t trade up to 3 and seal a deal. That’s not the case. I could see all three going in a row and we need to trade up first and be apart of that.

Whatever spot ends the Darnold Rosen draft the next slot  we got to get in. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think this is 100% accurate - Mayfield will be the 3rd player drafted.  Just a matter of who's willing to give away the most to get up there.  

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I think this is 100% accurate - Mayfield will be the 3rd player drafted.  Just a matter of who's willing to give away the most to get up there.  

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Whatever spot ends the Darnold Rosen draft the next slot  we got to get in. 

100%  but we have to hope Mac wants it enough. I personally don’t think he’s that stupid. He has enough situational awareness to know he isn’t the only QB needy guy around. We need to be on the phone with the #3 team as soon as the season ends!

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

100%  but we have to hope Mac wants it enough. I personally don’t think he’s that stupid. He has enough situational awareness to know he isn’t the only QB needy guy around. We need to be on the phone with the #3 team as soon as the season ends!

there's going to be a bidding war - Buffalo, Denver and the Jets...my only concern is I think Elway understands how important a QB is and will ultimately outbid us.   

Even if Mac believes we need to get him - he'll still look at value charts too much.   I would rather give up the entire draft and get our guy than hope we get lucky with a second or third choice.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

there's going to be a bidding war - Buffalo, Denver and the Jets...my only concern is I think Elway understands how important a QB is and will ultimately outbid us.   

Even if Mac believes we need to get him - he'll still look at value charts too much.   I would rather give up the entire draft and get our guy than hope we get lucky with a second or third choice.

That’s how I am at this point. Last year I wasn’t. Years before I wasn’t. I can’t wait anymore. Not on this QB draft class..nope. We need to sell the farm. 80-90 mill in the best supporting cast we can provide the kid..and then for the final act..actually draft him in April. That simple.

54 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Is the cost from moving to 1 or 2 that much higher than 3? 

Either way, the last thing I want is someone who has shown zero ability to assess the QB position is trading away assets for one.  

If Mac did that and failed, say hello to 2022 before the Jets can think about being play off contenders. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Well, you were fooling yourself if you didn't know McCown was signed to be the starter, which means, Mac knew Hack sucked.  If they had any confidence whatsoever that Hack or Petty could be a viable starting QB, you give them the entire offseason and sign a McCown like player way into  camp and few weeks before the season starts.   They brought him in before the draft.  The intentions were quite clear.

I guess I'm confused about the unknown part...are you saying their unknown because you don't know what they're going to turn out to be in the NFL?  Because unknown players typically dont get selected in the 1st/2nd round. 

And I think the part your glossing over is, Mac has shown zero ability to identify QB talent.  So Mac not thinking Watson wasn't a franchise QB isn't a surprise.  Homey took a kid who cant even dress with a top 50 pick. 

I'm down with a signature bet but lets revisit it once draft position is solidified.  

It's a difference of opinion on McCown then, if he was signed to start all season because Macc already determined that Hack sucked then that's a  fireable offense. I don't believe the 4th preseason game last year was enough to write Hack off, I do think that after a year in the NFL and working on his mechanics this past offseason and seeing him in preseason there is enough information to move forward.

As for the "unknown" label, yes I would say every rookie QB is an "unknown". IMO it's far easier to grade other positions and how they'll translate to the NFL. I think Watson being the 3rd QB off the board seems to verify that he was considered an "unknown". If a QB is a known franchise QB I don't believe that many QB needy teams would pass on him.

I do think there is a real concern with Macc's ability to select of a QB but I'm not sure last draft was the best indicator of that given the situation I eluded to earlier. This is why I believe we'll make a full court press for Cousins so Macc can stick to BPA and pick up a known franchise QB. That type of move should buy him enough time and will likely allow him to select his own coach before being canned. Whether Cousins chooses us is another situation though.

Once the final order of picks is figured out I'd be happy to revisit a wager.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is the cost from moving to 1 or 2 that much higher than 3? 

If the teams at 1 and 2 don't want to trade then our only option is to move to 3. Once at 3 maybe you have a chance to trade to 1 but the Browns would have to feel comfortable selecting the 3rd best player in the draft potentially.

Archived