Jets very alive in playoff hunt

kevinc855

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd be in favor a spending a significant portion of our $90M or so cap space on bolstering the O-line, IF we draft a QB. 

What this idiotic franchise will likely end up doing, however, is signing Sam Bradford and making few improvements to the line. 

the thing is regardless of who the qb is they will need to get the line fixed.  the bad news is they are stuck with most of these guys through 2018.  it's hard to tell if winters or beachum will be planted to the bench if they draft some better players.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

What is your solution? Curious to know if you have a logical solution besides the old and tired way of thinking a 1 pick is Jesus walking on water will save the franchise

As opposed to the old and tired Jet method of picking 6th and taking defense?

AFC Standings

Division Leaders

1. Pittsburgh (7-2, AFC North)

2. New England (7-2, AFC East) 

3. Kansas City (6-3, AFC West) 

4. Tennessee (6-3, AFC South)

Wild-Card Standings

5. Jacksonville (6-3)

6. Buffalo (5-4) 

7. Miami (4-4)

8. Baltimore (4-5)

9. Oakland (4-5) 

10. New York Jets (4-6)

10 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

so you would rather we be in the Giant's situation right now?

They have players  texting reporters the team is giving up. Media is showing examples of players quitting on plays. The whole franchise looks to be crumbling and now are the laughing stock of the NFL. Are they developing anything right now? And this is what we want as Jets fans? Players quitting and giving losing effort? Darnold or Allen are going to walk into that locker room next season and turn the whole Giant organization around? 

And stop with the Giants are doing this on purpose. Because they are going to blow this whole thing up next season. Management and coaches are not trying to tank on purpose.

In the macro big picture sense, hell yes. They will have a shot at a franchise QB. if you're not gonna make the playoffs, winning5 to 7 games is really pointless.

18 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Playoffs looks out of the question but I still don't get the Tank talk. What could have been done to tank the season? 

Played Hack. Would've guaranteed 3 things. 

1. No. 1 overall pick. 

2. Firing of Mac

3. Firing of Bowles. 

Now, we'll have like a top 10 pick, and Mac n Bowles to deal with for another year, or most likely multiple years. Worst way this season could've played out. Only way this season is a success is if we make the playoffs. At 6-10 (my prediction), we won't be getting a high enough pick for Mac to pick the QB of the future. He'll fail again like he has for 3 years. 

15 minutes ago, j4jets said:

1. No. 1 overall pick. 

2. Firing of Mac

3. Firing of Bowles. 

Now, we'll have like a top 10 pick, and Mac n Bowles to deal with for another year, or most likely multiple years. Worst way this season could've played out. Only way this season is a success is if we make the playoffs. At 6-10 (my prediction), we won't be getting a high enough pick for Mac to pick the QB of the future. He'll fail again like he has for 3 years. 

If Mac wanted a top 3 pick he should fired Bowles last offseason. Woody claimed he wanted to see improvement under Bowles; that was going to be the measure used to evaluate him. If that is the game-plan, you have to give him the freedom to play the best QB. Denying him the chance to try to show improvement would be quite unfair, and future HC coach candidates would notice it.

Saying Bowles has a shot at retaining the job by proving himself sets up this whole situation.

20 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Nothing positive came from yesterday’s game but yesterday a lot of afc teams had a tough day leaving the afc wild card spots very much in play down the stretch http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf&season=2017-REG&split=Overall

Oh my goodness, you're not wrong on this.  The 5-4 Bills are the current 2nd WC in the AFC.  If the Jets make the playoffs I think the league should just shutter its doors and call it quits.  But it looks like the 2nd WC is going to be horrible no matter which team it is (unless some team steps up - the Raiders??)

image.png

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

1. No. 1 overall pick. 

2. Firing of Mac

3. Firing of Bowles. 

You're probably right. Can we agree if that was what the owners wanted then they should have fired Mac and Bowles last off season. Both of them were on the hot seat coming in and they weren't going to tank the season. 

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

You're probably right. Can we agree if that was what the owners wanted then they should have fired Mac and Bowles last off season. Both of them were on the hot seat coming in and they weren't going to tank the season. 

The owners don't know what they want.  That's the only explanation for the dysfunction we've had across multiple regimes. 

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

In the macro big picture sense, hell yes. They will have a shot at a franchise QB. if you're not gonna make the playoffs, winning5 to 7 games is really pointless.

Yes they will have a shot and hope that selection is a franchise QB. But that doesn't change the mess they are right now. They are hoping just like the Jets are hoping for a better future.

Giants, new GM, new Coaches, new schemes, best player coming off injury and last year of contract, players that quit which I assume is not good for young players, and high draft pick that they hope is their franchise QB. They hope they can turn it around but that's a lot of changes.

Jets, developing young players, large cap, and 4 selections in the first 3 rounds. Am I being too optimistic in thinking you can add 5 or 6 impact players from that? 

22 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Nothing positive came from yesterday’s game but yesterday a lot of afc teams had a tough day leaving the afc wild card spots very much in play down the stretch http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf&season=2017-REG&split=Overall

At 4-6, they have won 40% of their games. That would mean, if the difficulty of their schedule was perfectly distributed, which it's not, a decent estimate is they'd win 2-3 of their remaining 6 games. So, 6-10 or 7-9. I personally think it will be 5 or 6 wins, which is WAY WAY WAY better than I thought entering this season.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh my goodness, you're not wrong on this.  The 5-4 Bills are the current 2nd WC in the AFC.  If the Jets make the playoffs I think the league should just shutter its doors and call it quits.  But it looks like the 2nd WC is going to be horrible no matter which team it is (unless some team steps up - the Raiders??)

image.png

And the Dolphins lost another horrible game last night.  Their point differential is 29th in the NFL (- 87).  Only the Giants (- 88), Browns (- 97) and Colts (- 101) are worse in that category.  So it definitely won't be Miami.

The 6th playoff spot will come down to whoever sucks the least.  The Ravens are +19 in point differential despite being 4-5 so my money is on them.  The Raiders need to get back in sync after the bye week to make a run, but on a pure talent basis, they have a decent shot too. 

All the other AFC teams are terrible. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The owners don't know what they want.  That's the only explanation for the dysfunction we've had across multiple regimes. 

You're probably right but maybe I'm too optimistic. 

With the cap space and 4 premium picks in the draft, I think we could see 5 to 6 impact players added to a developing young team. I don't see the doom and gloom.

5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

With the cap space and 4 premium picks in the draft, I think we could see 5 to 6 impact players added to a developing young team. I don't see the doom and gloom.

So you think we'll hit on 3/4 of those premium picks, plus get 3 other impact players?  Or go 4/4 and find 2 others?

Nope, not happening. Not from a GM who took a 5th round QB prospect in the 2nd round, and has no willingness to take any risks in the draft.  

More likely, we'll take some safe players in the draft and spend big in free agency.  Which never works.  Spending heavily on free agency is partly what got the Giants into trouble this year.  When you bring in a lot of "hired hands", there's no investment in a team culture.  Which is why the emphasis has always been on building through the draft in the NFL.  You play hardest for the team that drafted you, generally.  

But the problem is, our GM sucks at drafting.  So there's that. 

The doom and gloom is necessary when there aren't reasons to be optimistic.  This organization needs drastic changes.  We need a lot more layers of accountability that keep the owners out of the picture.  A Vice President surrounded by a bunch of football people is the change we need. 

15 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

That would be great, as we'd then have 5-6 impact players on the team.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you think we'll hit on 3/4 of those premium picks, plus get 3 other impact players?  Or go 4/4 and find 2 others?

Nope, not happening. Not from a GM who took a 5th round QB prospect in the 2nd round, and has no willingness to take any risks in the draft.  

More likely, we'll take some safe players in the draft and spend big in free agency.  Which never works.  Spending heavily on free agency is partly what got the Giants into trouble this year.  When you bring in a lot of "hired hands", there's no investment in a team culture.  Which is why the emphasis has always been on building through the draft in the NFL.  You play hardest for the team that drafted you, generally.  

But the problem is, our GM sucks at drafting.  So there's that. 

The doom and gloom is necessary when there aren't reasons to be optimistic.  This organization needs drastic changes.  We need a lot more layers of accountability that keep the owners out of the picture.  A Vice President surrounded by a bunch of football people is the change we need. 

Again hoping with their 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, and the cap space that they find 5 or 6 impact players. But it's just hoping. I don't think 5-6 impact players is asking too much. But I get it, you're not happy with the regime's past and so hope is lost for you. 

Same with Giant fans. I'm sure they are hoping a regime change, top pick, dump the quitters, Odell comes back 100% and resigns turns it around for them.

8 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Same with Giant fans. I'm sure they are hoping a regime change, top pick, dump the quitters, Odell comes back 100% and resigns turns it around for them.

I'd rather be in the Giants' situation, however.  They'll clean house of a lot of the overpriced veterans and go young.  But they'll have a top 5 pick with which to do that, and can nicely transition from 2-time Super Bowl champ Eli Manning to a Rosen or Darnold.

I don't expect Odell ever comes back 100 %, however.  The type of injury he suffered will destroy the explosiveness that made him special.  He'll be a very good WR because of his hands, but he'll need to change the way he plays the game. 

The Giants have a track record of success under their ownership, across multiple regimes.  We don't.  And that speaks to ownership. Unfortunately, you can't fire the owner(s).

47 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

man maybe I am too optimistic. You don't like any of the players on this roster? 

Like =/= Impact

We have a small handful of players that are good pieces for the future, but no one who is (or seems capable of) stepping up and being a force that other teams will struggle to account for.

21 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Yes. Completely agree. They should not have signed McCown. But if you listen to Mac's interviews this past week, it sounds like they had no intention of tanking. I think Mac and Bowles both felt they needed to win to secure their jobs.

No don’t think so. I believe Woody has told Mac his job is safe and can now decide on Bowles fate. Mac, for all his inexperience and failed drafts, has a debonair, intellectual approach that’s appealing to the general public.  That alone should give him 2-3 more years. A new coach, finally getting a bonafide   FA/prospect QB, and hopefully he grows into the job. At this point, we’re stuck with him for awhile. Personally, i’d Fire Mac and Bowles on Black Monday, thank them for their great service, hard work and present them with coupons to Starbucks.

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We have some nice players.  But no elite players.  That comes from 3 years of drafts by a GM making relatively "safe" picks. 

Forget elite.  We don't have anyone who you'd call "very good."  The Leonard Williams hype has died down, and he's a good young player, but definitely not special, and he won't be taking over games.  The safeties are okay, but they do and always will, play safety.  So, anything short of elite (which Adams simply doesn't have the althleticism to be), and they're not impact players.

1 minute ago, BigO said:

No don’t think so. I believe Woody has told Mac his job is safe and can now decide on Bowles fate. Mac, for all his inexperience and failed drafts, has a debonair, intellectual approach that’s appealing to the general public.  That alone should give him 2-3 more years. A new coach, finally getting a bonafide   FA/prospect QB, and hopefully he grows into the job. At this point, we’re stuck with him for awhile. Personally, i’d Fire Mac and Bowles on Black Monday, thank them for their great service, hard work and present them with coupons to Starbucks.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Forget elite.  We don't have anyone who you'd call "very good."  The Leonard Williams hype has died down, and he's a good young player, but definitely not special, and he won't be taking over games.  The safeties are okay, but they do and always will, play safety.  So, anything short of elite (which Adams simply doesn't have the althleticism to be), and they're not impact players.

We seem to avoid drafting impact players like the plague. Non-pass-rushing lineman and secondary is where we draft. We need a complete philosophy overhaul. Parcells philosophies really don't work anymore but Woody kept drafting the same type of head coach over and over and over. Will the new Johnson learn from his brother's mistakes?

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

We seem to avoid drafting impact players like the plague. Non-pass-rushing lineman and secondary is where we draft. We need a complete philosophy overhaul. Parcells philosophies really don't work anymore but Woody kept drafting the same type of head coach over and over and over. Will the new Johnson learn from his brother's mistakes?

No he’ll probably switch the product line from Q tips to tampons. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Every time the Jets draft a DB in round 1 what does Brady think in his head? “Wow it’s gonna be fun looking at the back of that guy’s jersey while he is chasing my receiver down the field to the end zone”

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Every time the Jets draft a DB in round 1 what does Brady think in his head? “Wow it’s gonna be fun looking at the back of that guy’s jersey while he is chasing my receiver down the field to the end zone”

Drafting a CB in the first round can make sense, but he needs to be Top 10 in the NFL to truly be worth it, and unless he is a once in a 25 year man coverage guy like Revis, a ballhawk. Unless you get a generational talent like Ed Reed or Polamalu AND a guy that is a ballhawk Safety is NEVER worh a first round pick, and yes that includes Adams.

First round should be in order QB>>OT>= Outside Pass Rusher>  Pass Rushing Defensive lineman>=Elite WR>ballhawk CB> RB>= TE and every once in a while a OG, ILB or C.

First round picks should be picks that either score points, or cause turnovers on defense (sacks are essentially a turnover)

Run stopping DL, Safeties, small/slot receivers, third down running backs, zone CBs, ILBs, and players with injury concerns should never be taken in first round.

Amazingly, almost all our recent first round picks have been from this second category.

A teams #1 needs: QB, Left tackle, pass rusher, #1WR, and RB to be successful in most cases. With our drafting, we amazingly have ZERO of these.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There's no way that Woody is going to let his brother make any major front office decisions. He's just a figurehead.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

AND... watching the JETS, Bills and FINS stack their defense with Defensive line men, 1st rounders and Free agents.   What have we accomplished?  NOTHING. Brady is still the best QB to play since maybe forever and we and the other AFC East teams have wasted picks, ignored our offense and simply at BEST have stayed the same.  Think about it..  The PATS have drafted 2-3 QBs and traded them away that are probably better than any Jets QB in the last 10 years.

Archived