Does Giants loss help/hurt us?

Freemanm

Can't believe the Giants are in worse shape than us right now. With the Jets, a 4-6 record might have even exceeded expectations, given the roster. With the Giants, 1-8 at this point can hardly be considered acceptable. Their coach is very much on the chopping block, I mean, read this quote:

McAdoo, asked how he can continue motivating this team, said: “They’re pro football players. They need to be self-motivated. Everybody gets a paycheck this week. And we need to go out and play that way.”

Anyway, I'm sorry to say, our guys fought hard yesterday (at least on defense), but it would really suck to see the Giants get Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold. We need to keep losing (in a dignified, "we-played-hard-but-came-up-a-little-bit-short" kind of way. So I am happy with yesterday. Here's to hoping that the Giants can salvage something and get four more wins this year.

Actually what McAdoo said is true ... but only if you go back 25 years

This is their job. Attitude and effort should follow accordingly. Anyone who does not agree can be welcome to use the exit door, if not bodily taken there and thrown out. No exceptions.

However, that is not the case in this day and age of unearned entitlement. The people of the generation that plays now were rarely brought up with those values. Their supervisor, which is what the coach is, needs to understand how to manage these people and it is certainly not easy. No business can be successful unless your managers realize this. They actually give courses in dealing with this. 

Not anything good or bad but it does show how McAdoo does not belong managing in 2017

just my $0.02

BTW: It won't suck if the Giants get one of these QB's and they turn out to be Tony Eason or Rick Mirer

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

tell that to the Giants fans who don t sound to happy. In fact only one of them brought the situation after an hour

i feel so sorry for them with 2 Super Bowls last ten years and Sam Darnold on the way

If only they could know the glory of our 6-10 youth movement 

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

This is their job. Attitude and effort should follow accordingly. Anyone who does not agree can be welcome to use the exit door, if not bodily taken there and thrown out. No exceptions.

However, that is not the case in this day and age of unearned entitlement. The people of the generation that plays now were rarely brought up with those values. Their supervisor, which is what the coach is, needs to understand how to manage these people and it is certainly not easy. No business can be successful unless your managers realize this. They actually give courses in dealing with this. 

Not anything good or bad but it does show how McAdoo does not belong managing in 2017

just my $0.02

BTW: It won't suck if the Giants get one of these QB's and they turn out to be Tony Eason or Rick Mirer

Ray Handley had this same attitude as a head coach. 

Media reaction that I have heard:

Giants loss: An embarrassement beyond belief. Tear it etc.

Jets loss: Played bad, disappointing, but and I quote "the fact that there was a season is a success"

Just dont get the disconnect. And it can't be answered by saying that everybody in the media is an idiot because the odds are against that

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Media reaction that I have heard:

Giants loss: An embarrassement beyond belief. Tear it etc.

Jets loss: Played bad, disappointing, but and I quote "the fact that there was a season is a success"

Just dont get the disconnect. And it can't be answered by saying that everybody in the media is an idiot because the odds are against that

That's it right there. The dissapointment for fans is simple. They wanted a Giant type season where the Jets get a top two pick and Bowles is fired. That's it. 

An OK season means a top 15 pick and Bowles is retained and that makes these fans so angry or maybe whiny.

But a Giant season means players quit, air it out to the media, no players develop even the young ones, and Darnold or Allen have the whole franchise on their shoulders as saviors

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

just my $0.02

sounds like mcadoo is a little out of touch.  like you say maybe 25 years ago but today's players need to be motivated and that's the coach's job.  this season is all on him.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

SO why aren;t they happy? I'm listening to the radio, Nobody's happy.

Perhaps because they are entitled pricks? That think they own the town, and should Win the Super Bowl every year..

I swap with the Giants in a heat beat to get a chance to pick second in the draft next year. 

Eli to Rosen or Darnold. Packers Farve to Rogers.

Jets, Fitzpatrick to McCown, then to another chump. 

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Not that the Jets or their fans are smart enough to learn anything from it, but this year’s Giants are an object lesson in the pitfalls of building a team through free agency.

Hey speekk four yoursef there skippy. I'm schmaatt.

6 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Can't believe the Giants are in worse shape than us right now. With the Jets, a 4-6 record might have even exceeded expectations, given the roster. With the Giants, 1-8 at this point can hardly be considered acceptable. Their coach is very much on the chopping block, I mean, read this quote:

McAdoo, asked how he can continue motivating this team, said: “They’re pro football players. They need to be self-motivated. Everybody gets a paycheck this week. And we need to go out and play that way.”

Anyway, I'm sorry to say, our guys fought hard yesterday (at least on defense), but it would really suck to see the Giants get Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold. We need to keep losing (in a dignified, "we-played-hard-but-came-up-a-little-bit-short" kind of way. So I am happy with yesterday. Here's to hoping that the Giants can salvage something and get four more wins this year.

It's too late for that.  If we lose our next 6 games, we'd end up 4-12.  I don't see how we can possibly get a top 2 pick with 4 wins.

Cleveland is winless through 9 games and we beat them head-to-head already.  They'd have to win 5 of their final 7 games to pass us.  Not happening.

The Giants are a 1-8 trainwreck who just lost to SF.  They'd have to win 3 of their final 7 to tie us at 4 wins (and I'm not sure who wins that tie-breaker).

SF is 1-9 with their only win being over the NYG.  We'd need them to win 3 of their final 6 to tie us at 4 wins (and again, not sure who'd win that tie-breaker).

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Perhaps because they are entitled pricks? That think they own the town, and should Win the Super Bowl every year..

I swap with the Giants in a heat beat to get a chance to pick second in the draft next year. 

You're 110% right, but I promise you, you are wasting keystrokes and bandwidth here.

Does Giants loss help/hurt us?

I would say hurts us badly.  The Giants just leap-frogged the 49ers in draft position.  That means both teams currently picking at the top of this draft (Cleveland and NYG) need QBs.  If that holds, then there's no trading up for Darnold.  If SF were picking #1 or #2 they had already traded for Jimmy G so they'd probably be happy to trade the pick.

Then again, it all depends on whether or not Darnold/Rosen end up being FQBs.  For all we know they could both be the next Ryan Leaf.  But since we won't be in position to draft either one of them then I'm guessing they'll be just fine.

56 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's too late for that.  If we lose our next 6 games, we'd end up 4-12.  I don't see how we can possibly get a top 2 pick with 4 wins.

Cleveland is winless through 9 games and we beat them head-to-head already.  They'd have to win 5 of their final 7 games to pass us.  Not happening.

The Giants are a 1-8 trainwreck who just lost to SF.  They'd have to win 3 of their final 7 to tie us at 4 wins (and I'm not sure who wins that tie-breaker).

SF is 1-9 with their only win being over the NYG.  We'd need them to win 3 of their final 6 to tie us at 4 wins (and again, not sure who'd win that tie-breaker).

image.png

image.png

Head to head has no bearing when it comes to draft position. If teams have the same record, the tie breaker is strength of schedule

Browns - .506

49ers - .527

Giants - .500

Jets - .489

All 3 teams have a higher SOS than the Jets, so if they were to hypothetically end up with the same record as us, we'd leapfrog them in the standings due to that

2 hours ago, King P said:

Head to head has no bearing when it comes to draft position. If teams have the same record, the tie breaker is strength of schedule

Browns - .506

49ers - .527

Giants - .500

Jets - .489

All 3 teams have a higher SOS than the Jets, so if they were to hypothetically end up with the same record as us, we'd leapfrog them in the standings due to that

Didn't realize that.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

So lets see....... last time the Giants were in this spot, they drafted their franchise QB and went on to 2 SB victories.  You tell me who it helps

uh no, they have been in this situation multiple times recently and they TRADED UP to get Eli in 2004 and won BOTH SBs b/c ,of GREAT DEFENSE not b/c of the QB.  the QB played well but when you only have to score 17 and 19 pts to win SBs you aren't winning b/c of the QB and your offense.  counting this year the Giants will have missed the playoffs 7 times in the last 9 seasons in what has been a pretty weak division overall. 

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

And to top it all off, we will draft another defensive player whenever we pick in round 1 and reach for another QB in the 2nd round again.  Book it.

Unfortunately those meaningless 4 wins will cost us Darnold while the NFL’s worst GM and Head Coach get to skate another year

Yuck

18 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Patriots: Bledsoe to Brady

Colts: Peyton to Luck to now another top QB probably

Archived