Bowles Sees no Need to Play Young QB’s

JetNation

IMG_2042.jpg

Jets fans may be hoping to see one of the team’s two young quarterbacks this season, but head coachTodd Bowles sees no need for such a move according to Brian Costello of the New York Post.

Sitting at 4-6, the Jets won’t be making the playoffs this season and many fans like the idea of being able to see either Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg before the team looks to add at least one new QB this offseason.

Unfortunately for Jets fans, the only person whose opinion that matters is that of Bowles, and it appears his plan is to get a much longer look at 38-year old Josh McCown.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
szkuwoYbyL0

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But could he envision a scenario during the final six games in which Petty or Hackenberg plays? 

"I'm not coming up with a scenario right now," he said. "We're going to play the games, and we're going to try to win each one. Josh will be our quarterback, and then we'll go from there." 

Hackenberg, a second-round draft pick in 2016, still hasn't played in a regular season game. The Jets gave him every opportunity to win the starting job in training camp, but he fell well short. He is now the Jets' No. 3 quarterback, behind Petty -- the pecking order all season. 

McCown surely doesn't have a long-term future with the Jets, who are expected to sign or draft a quarterback next year, since it looks like Hackenberg isn't going to pan out. 

McCown actually hasn't played that poorly in 2017. He has 14 touchdown passes (his career high), eight interceptions, and a 93.7 quarterback rating that ranks 13th in the NFL. Not bad for a 38-year-old journeyman. He is also completing a career-best 69 percent of his passes. So McCown hasn't really done anything, performance-wise, to lose his job. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

More importantly is do you trust 1 of the top 5 college QB's being coached by this moron, I don't. 

Nope. I don't think Bowles knows what the heck he is doing. Mac needs to get Lil Chris Johnson to agree to move on from him. 

This is on both Mac and Bowles.  HC refuses to play young QBs, then WTF are they on the roster for?  Cut them both and bring in more.  Basically Bowles is saying that’s petry and Hack can’t even compete with a JAG whose ceiling is going 4-6 with a team that is no where near as good as their record.  

And when we don’t make the playoffs and aren’t picking in the top 10, we can all ask the question, how much better off are we from having played McCown over Petty?  The answer is we are no better.

Good times.   

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

This is on both Mac and Bowles.  HC refuses to play young QBs, then WTF are they on the roster for?  Cut them both and bring in more.  Basically Bowles is saying that’s petry and Hack can’t even compete with a JAG whose ceiling is going 4-6 with a team that is no where near as good as their record.  

And when we don’t make the playoffs and aren’t picking in the top 10, we can all ask the question, how much better off are we from having played McCown over Petty?  The answer is we are no better.

Good times.   

We will have a top 10 pick what the hell are you talking about?

It’s a terminal offense, imo. Bowles is hurting the franchise and burning resources all in the name of chasing a few meaningless wins, and he’s doing it for the third season in a row. If Maccagnan doesn’t wise up, he’s going to be on the street and Bowles will be right behind him.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a terminal offense, imo. Bowles is hurting the franchise and burning resources all in the name of chasing a few meaningless wins, and he’s doing it for the third season in a row. If Maccagnan doesn’t wise up, he’s going to be on the street and Bowles will be right behind him.

We need the billboard and banners guys ASAP 

PUBLIC HUMILIATION 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Lets get the banners and the billboards going......ive had enough of this egotistical hard headed clueless moron.

forget about bowles for a minute.. we both agree the guy's a self serving dope, who absolutely needs to be fired.. the end..

what's mind numbing to me, is the organization continues to let him get away with this horse ****!!

& yes, i know in jet bizarro world, the HC doesn't answer to the GM.. that said, if you're maccagnan, how could you be dumb enough to give what's his face an old JAG QB in FA?? anyone being intellectually honest knew mccown was going to be this dopes guy a nanosecond after he was signed..

you can't make this **** up..

Just now, jetgreen13 said:

forget about bowles for a minute.. we both agree the guy's a self serving dope, who absolutely needs to be fired.. the end..

what's mind numbing to me, is the organization continues to let him get away with this horse ****!!

& yes, i know in jet bizarro world, the HC doesn't answer to the GM.. that said, if you're maccagnan, how could you be dumb enough to give what's his face an old JAG QB in FA?? anyone being intellectually honest knew mccown was going to be this dopes guy a nanosecond after he was signed..

Macc and Bowles both need to go as far as I'm concerned its DUMB and DUMBER. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The fact that the GM cannot intervene here and demand that Bowles play Petty and/or Hackenberg is maddening and just highlights the dysfunction that exists in this organization and why it will continue to spin its wheels and go nowhere year after year. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

PUBLIC HUMILIATION 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am using this as profile pic from now on. @Lupz27 has this as his..... i just slightly changed green ... This dude, Bowles what a joke.

It would be funny if the entire board switched this to their profile pic.

imageproxy.php.jpg

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

PUBLIC HUMILIATION 

I would be surprised if any fans does the billboards and banners. And I bet they would be mocked and ridiculed if they did. Just me opinion but this is nothing close to the Idzik reign.

There is no reason to play Petty.  He won't be on the roster in a few months.  I'm hoping that once we are mathematically eliminated Hack is the guy they play.  He at least has a chance to be on the team long term.

In the meantime the pitchfork crew will have to either wait for 9 losses or 3 bad games in a row before any changes will be made.  In other words - nothing has changed.

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

I would be surprised if any fans does the billboards and banners. And I bet they would be mocked and ridiculed if they did. Just me opinion but this is nothing close to the Idzik reign.

Its not?  You're right we are playoff bound and we have a franchise QB. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do you say that they arent as good as their record? Their point differential suggests otherwise

We are playing the easiest part of our schedule that included two games against arguably the worst offense in the league in the Dolphins, we’ve played the Browns, and judging on recent games, the Bills and Bucs are absolutely terrible.  Let’s compare our team with teams with 3 or 4 wins?  We are not better than most of them.

7 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

If management and owners are saying start Petty or Hack and Bowles disobeys then wouldn' bowles be fired at the end of the year and you can get your wish? 

5 hours ago, Pcola said:

Good times.   

THIS 1000%

Why the heck do the Jets have guys on the team whom they don't believe have a future with the team!!!!

This is utter madness especially when we could have gotten something for Petty via a trade!!!  Are we kidding here!!

And furthermore if the Jets felt this way after last season, then why the hell not draft a QB with the 6th pick!!!

I love Petty but if the Jets have determined he is dead weight then for God's Sake get rid of him and bring in someone you do believe in!!!

Good Grief!!

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe he thinks they aren’t good enough to play. If so, why play them.

What a total CF. None of our three QBs belong on the roster, and each for an entirely different reason. The way this regime has handled the position is nothing short of malpractice, and in six weeks we're going to hand them a top-10 pick, a billion dollars in cap space, and a fix-it-or-get-fired mandate. Jet the **** up, bitches.

Well the good news is this most likely will get him fired. Don't worry when they get their asses handed to them over the next part of the schedule it will finally show just bad Bowles is. I am simply amazed that this man still thinks he can do something to save his job. Sure they weren't expected to do much but they are not improving each week they are taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. The D looked okay but lets not forget that Tampa had sh*tzpatrick behind the Center and was missing their #1 WR. All those missed sacks and penalties still added up to a loss and I bet if they had that certain #1 WR playing it would have been worse. Not playing Petty or to a lesser extent Hack makes no sense at this time of the season. None at all. Unless Bowles actually thinks they can play with The Chiefs and New Orleans. LOL that would mean he is worse than dumb he is downright delusional. Time to go Toddy. Don't let that door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What a total CF. None of our three QBs belong on the roster, and each for an entirely different reason. The way this regime has handled the position is nothing short of malpractice, and in six weeks we're going to hand them a top-10 pick, a billion dollars in cap space, and a fix-it-or-get-fired mandate. Jet the **** up, bitches.

Welcome to the Jets. 

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Maybe he thinks they aren’t good enough to play. If so, why play them.

Which implies that Bowles is throwing Maccagnan directly under the bus here, which may be his intent. If that’s the case, it’ll be in Macc’s interest to get his resume up on Monster.com before the end of the season. However, the more likely scenario is that Bowles is a clown who simply wants a veteran QB to help him and his band of safeties win games 20-17, which is anathema to competing for a championship in the NFL. Bowles runs the team exactly how a position coach runs a team, with little regard for any position other than the one he knows how to coach.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

If you think this is bad, wait until they spend the offseason begging Kirk Cousins to take $200 million, only to get rebuffed and subsequently fleeced by Sam Bradford.

Archived