Bowles Sees no Need to Play Young QB’s

JetNation

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

This situation again shows why this organization needs a president at the top who understands analytics and positional value and has final say to tell an idiot like Bowles he is playing the young QB. Clearly Maccagnan has no say over him, because a GM wants to see his picks play sooner rather than later. Alas since Parcells left, we have, spare Mangini(who might have succeeded given more time, but what ever) ,  hired the same defense first seat of the pants guy every god damn time and watched it blow up like this. How can you watch you house burn down over and over and then keep playing with matches and gasoline? 

Think midseason firing of a head coach is a bad idea. Let's say Morton takes over and wins 3 or 4 games on dead cat bounce adrenalin. it would give him a leg up that really ins't based in fact, and potentially preclude a better option. But right now,today,  Bowles needs to be fired. 

Yet, it was mccagnan, and not bowles, who signed mccown before the draft.  Mccagnan didn't have to do this, he could have let bowles choose between his drafted qbs and bowles would have had no choice.

the reality is that before the draft, mccagnan knew that 1) he didn't like the qbs in the draft enough to draft one at #6, and 2) the qbs he drafted weren't good enough to be starters.  So he signs mccown, full well knowing bowles will play him.  This allows mccags to hide while bowles gets all the heat about why the young qbs aren't playing.  Bowles is just doing his job.   Mccagnan could have drafted Watson and let his 3 drafted qbs compete, with no mccown, fitz or any qb over 25.  

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Why couldn't Petty and/or Hack improve with playing time?  Both guys are physically better.  Reps are needed if the mental part has a chance to catch up.

They're losing anyway!!!

Plus you can't study your own film if none exists

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Which implies that Bowles is throwing Maccagnan directly under the bus here, which may be his intent. If that’s the case, it’ll be in Macc’s interest to get his resume up on Monster.com before the end of the season. However, the more likely scenario is that Bowles is a clown who simply wants a veteran QB to help him and his band of safeties win games 20-17, which is anathema to competing for a championship in the NFL. Bowles runs the team exactly how a position coach runs a team, with little regard for any position other than the one he knows how to coach.

My God, Petty is a 4th round pick. Let’s not overblow the situation. Lol

Which implies that Bowles is throwing Maccagnan directly under the bus here, which may be his intent. If that’s the case, it’ll be in Macc’s interest to get his resume up on Monster.com before the end of the season. However, the more likely scenario is that Bowles is a clown who simply wants a veteran QB to help him and his band of safeties win games 20-17, which is anathema to competing for a championship in the NFL. Bowles runs the team exactly how a position coach runs a team, with little regard for any position other than the one he knows how to coach.
Bowles is a moron

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Bugg said:

This situation again shows why this organization needs a president at the top who understands analytics and positional value and has final say to tell an idiot like Bowles he is playing the young QB. Clearly Maccagnan has no say over him, because a GM wants to see his picks play sooner rather than later. Alas since Parcells left, we have, spare Mangini(who might have succeeded given more time, but what ever) ,  hired the same defense first seat of the pants guy every god damn time and watched it blow up like this. How can you watch you house burn down over and over and then keep playing with matches and gasoline? 

Think midseason firing of a head coach is a bad idea. Let's say Morton takes over and wins 3 or 4 games on dead cat bounce adrenalin. it would give him a leg up that really ins't based in fact, and potentially preclude a better option. But right now,today,  Bowles needs to be fired. 

Since we're not in position to draft a FQB, we're probably not going to get a premium coach here.  I'd happily take my chances on round 2 of Mangini. 

Just now, mkajet01 said:

If you don't play petty how can he show if he's getting better? Bowles needs to go away

I might be in the small minority here but I think it's either Hackenburg or bust.  I'm not a believer in Petty, though I'd certainly rather see him than McCown.

It's ridiculous Hack can't get on the active roster in year 2.  I thought they should've given him snaps in the week 17 game last year but they were afraid to even do that.  I was absolutely certain this year he'd be a part of the team (certainly that he'd be on the active roster!) but I was wrong.  I remember when he was drafted there was talk that he needed at least 1 year and possibly 2 years of sitting and learning.  But generally you expect that you'd see something positive by year 2.  If he's still that much of a project then I don't see why the Jets don't cut him.  I have to believe they still have hopes for him.  Personally I'd at least like to see him play a little this year to see if maybe he can surprise everyone.  McCown and 6-10 is an absolute waste of a season. 

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Exactly. Complicit means agreement

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

...two things..

"exactly" what?? i very clearly stated, i have no idea what is being said, or not said behind closed doors between bowles & ownership.. now if you do, please share.. i'm sure the board would greatly appreciate the intel.. 

& yeah, me no what cumplisat mean.....

Bowles thinks that by playing JM and wining another game or just being competitive that he saves his job. This isn't some rookie being competitive but losing. This is about an old QB who, like Fitz has absolutely no chance to be any better than what we all see. A journeyman QB who is a solid backup. Problem is they are at the end of the road; so what was the point again?

This is a big mistake by Bowles and Co. We have all seen this act before.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I might be in the small minority here but I think it's either Hackenburg or bust.  I'm not a believer in Petty, though I'd certainly rather see him than McCown.

It's ridiculous Hack can't get on the active roster in year 2.  I thought they should've given him snaps in the week 17 game last year but they were afraid to even do that.  I was absolutely certain this year he'd be a part of the team (certainly that he'd be on the active roster!) but I was wrong.  I remember when he was drafted there was talk that he needed at least 1 year and possibly 2 years of sitting and learning.  But generally you expect that you'd see something positive by year 2.  If he's still that much of a project then I don't see why the Jets don't cut him.  I have to believe they still have hopes for him.  Personally I'd at least like to see him play a little this year to see if maybe he can surprise everyone.  McCown and 6-10 is an absolute waste of a season. 

Petty Deserves the opportunity @ least he has shown flashes...  hack has shown Zero.

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can't agree with you because Hack is so bad they don't even dress him. 

To be honest petty is way better then hack, even though jets drafted hack 2nd Rd, he was projected 5th or 6th Rd pick. Petty had great college career! Hacks career in college mediocre!

34 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

My God, Petty is a 4th round pick. Let’s not overblow the situation. Lol

& mccown is a 38 year old JAG on a one year deal..

petty obviously can't play, because he was picked in the middle of the draft?? that's why bowles, ****ing the kid over is OK with you?? 

6 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

& mccown is a 38 year old JAG on a one year deal..

petty obviously can't play, because he was picked in the middle of the draft?? that's why bowles, ****ing the kid over is OK with you?? 

Look I think Petty should play also.  I just don't think it's the major issue some are making it.  The Jets MUST bring in a real solution for the QB position next season.  No more stopgaps. As for Petty, it would be nice to see him play, but it appears the organization is not to high on him.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Indy shelved Luck for the year.  SF traded for Jimmy G but aren't playing him.  Meanwhile the Jets are looking at 6-10 and not even giving the young QBs a look. 

The Jets' motto may as well be "Whatever It Takes!"  (to have maximum uncertainty at the most important position heading into the offseason)

Right, but what do the radio hosts of SF & Indianapolis think?  I heard that Mike Francessa was upset today and so was some idiot Giants fan when talking with his, equally delusional, Jets fan friend.  

Those opinions are where the InfoWars are won.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What a total CF. None of our three QBs belong on the roster, and each for an entirely different reason. The way this regime has handled the position is nothing short of malpractice, and in six weeks we're going to hand them a top-10 pick, a billion dollars in cap space, and a fix-it-or-get-fired mandate. Jet the **** up, bitches.

You will get a first round offensive lineman. You will get a second round defensive player or two. You will get a UDFA QB that they take in the 3rd, 4th or 5th. No way they make that mistake in the second again.

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Most fan bases of bad teams love the backup QB. Jet fans are on another level. 

The starter is a 38-year old JAG leading a 4-6 team.  The backups are 26 and 22 respectively, with 4th and 2nd round picks used on them.  It doesn't matter how much they suck; it's more than reasonable to demand that at least one of the younger guys see the field.  

But yeah, let's keep sending McCown out there in a non-playoff season.  That accomplishes a lot.  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe playing Petty or Hack would be throwing MACC under the bus more?  At least now a bunch of half-wits can fantasize that they both aren't trash.

It's gonna be a looooong bye week.

Don't worry and hold your horses everyone,  few more losses and all of our wishes will come true. Petty and Hackenburg will play don't think they won't play. I personally don't think that either one is the solution, but they'll get their try outs once more.

Losing fixes everything.

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

It's gonna be a looooong bye week.

Don't worry and hold your horses everyone,  few more losses and all of wishes will come true. Petty and Hackenburg will play don't think they won't play.

Losses fixes everything.

Actually I'm going to enjoy the bye week without being aggravated this Sunday watching NFL football. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Let's see how the Jets play these next 6 games.  

You have a head coach that is not a personal embarrassment, who the players like, and who has shown glimpses of competence.  Most of his losses are attributable to a bad roster.  

He does not see the point in "trying out" QBs who he believes are no better than the 38 year old starter.  I have to say, that based on what I saw in the preseason and some of McCown's better moments this year, that is not a crazy notion.  Playing Petty and Hack have other strategic benefits that I support, but Bowles may not see them in his position.  He wants to win, and he sees McCown giving him the best shot at winning.  We can't argue that is a crazy proposition-we don't like it because it does not advance the cause that most of us want-a team that makes the Playoffs or better in the 2010s.  We are willing to write this year off, but Bowles is not.  

But in the end the Johnson's have to determine if they can upgrade Bowles with a coach that would put up with the same system that Bowles does.  I think they determine that they cannot.  I think the biggest improvement they can provide to the team is to either give both Bowles and Macc a new boss or upgrade Mac.  If you had a GM providing Bowles with better players, including a QB or two better than McCown, I think you would see Bowles coach better.  

Once you improve the culture and the roster, you put yourself in a better position to replace Bowles.

No offense but the time for "glimpses of competence" has past. At least it should have. We are what 3 years in? The same mistakes made in game, the lack of discipline(penalties), the complete inability to change or make adjustments to the game plan, the terrible sideline presence, and little or no improvement from week to week. Not to mention that Bowles has input on who is drafted and who plays. Believe me I have no love for Macchole and think BOTH need to go and while both are too blame Bowles is simply not ready or not cut out to be a head coach. It is clearer every week that Bowles is over matched on the field. When was the last time you have seen him work the ref's on the field? NEVER. I could go on and on but the simple fact remains  that the team takes its cue's from the guy in charge and Bowles' lackluster on field presence is hurting this team.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The starter is a 38-year old JAG leading a 4-6 team.  The backups are 26 and 22 respectively, with 4th and 2nd round picks used on them.  It doesn't matter how much they suck; it's more than reasonable to demand that at least one of the younger guys see the field.  

But yeah, let's keep sending McCown out there in a non-playoff season.  That accomplishes a lot.  

Beyond imbecilic  .. also putting in the seasoned guy might get another win or 2 and ability to move down some additional draft slots. Genius stuff going on here. 

2 minutes ago, NJ said:

Beyond imbecilic  .. also putting in the seasoned guy might get another win or 2 and ability to move down some additional draft slots. Genius stuff going on here. 

So you have completely evaluated Petty and Hackenberg and are comfortable from what you've seen out of them? 

Ironically the rest of the NFL has already evaluated our last 2 starting QB's and had no success with them but the Jets felt differently. 

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Anyone notice that Army is 8-2 and headed to a Bowl game

So why not just run the triple option flexbone offense with Bilal Powell in the Ahmad Bradshaw's role? Solves all your McCown-Petty-Hack arguments as NONE of then get to play

It makes no sense but neither does any other option this team has at this time 

image_handler.aspx.jpeg

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a terminal offense, imo. Bowles is hurting the franchise and burning resources all in the name of chasing a few meaningless wins, and he’s doing it for the third season in a row. If Maccagnan doesn’t wise up, he’s going to be on the street and Bowles will be right behind him.

Problem is, what kind of power does Mac have to do anything about it IF its true that Bowles reports directly to Woody, rather than answering to the GM?

IF this is true, which it has been stated many times here that it is, this was/is doomed from the start, and will be again unless Woody relinquishes control to his GM>

16 minutes ago, NJ said:

Its not about genius stuff.  Players and coaches who actually play the sport play to win. End of story.

Armchair GM's and athletes 'tank' for better draft positions in hopes that 'next' year is the one.

19 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its not about genius stuff.  Players and coaches who actually play the sport play to win. End of story.

Armchair GM's and athletes 'tank' for better draft positions in hopes that 'next' year is the one.

Newsflash - you can play the game to win with a QB you've invested a relatively high draft pick on to prove out what you may want to do next in your personnel strategy. That player may not give you the absolute best chance to win the game that means nothing - but unfortunately for your "Gipper" mentality - the ability to potentially make your team stronger is set up to favor teams with worse records. As it should be. End of real story. 

Archived