Bath Fitter BUYER BEWARE

joewilly12

A neighbor needed a quick fix for an old bathroom house was built in 1965 so he had the contractors come in and he didn't like what they told him total gut job takes weeks so he hired the Bath Fitter they came in and covered everything up with a new tub, fiberglass walls looked nice........weeks later floor feels mushy so he hires a floor guy who finds the floor soaked and loaded with mold which went under the tub/shower so the guy removed the tub and under the tub was more rot and mold along with the walls being totally shot...needless to say they are living in local hotel while the contractor guts the bathroom and redoes the plumbing, electric,insulation,studs,floor joists, sheetrock,tile you name it. I looked at it and told him gut the place its the only way you know its done right, he decided to hire the Bath Fitter. 

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

How does putting a mold over the tub cause water under the original tub? 

We need answers 

There was a water leak all along they had tile falling off in the tub area bath fitter pulled off the loose tile on the water soaked walls  and glued the fiberglass walls to it.  

They make a moisture meter they should have tested the integrity of the walls. 

Larz do you work for bath fitter? 

not true at all. for the price bath fitters gets you a huge improvement on a budget. If the tub was working fine before, just outdated, it doesnt take much to put nice new walls and a tub in to cover everything up. I think what happened is the drain connection got screwed up. water probably soaked under the new drain, entered the old tub that now has a drain removed, and seeped under the old tub on to the wood floor. Its not rocket science. Thats about the only thing that could go wrong. so since its all covered, you dont know its leaking until mold smell starts

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

not true at all. for the price bath fitters gets you a huge improvement on a budget. If the tub was working fine before, just outdated, it doesnt take much to put nice new walls and a tub in to cover everything up. I think what happened is the drain connection got screwed up. water probably soaked under the new drain, entered the old tub that now has a drain removed, and seeped under the old tub on to the wood floor. Its not rocket science. Thats about the only thing that could go wrong. so since its all covered, you dont know its leaking until mold smell starts

Here in the northeast (and many parts of the USA) almost all homes are stick built and most 20+ year old bathrooms will have some degree of moisture damage to subfloor, floor joists, moldy and damp sheetrock and insulation behind the wall tile (esp if there is a window sill) and mold beneath the tub and often times termite infestation. Termites love damp wood. I am not pullng this from thin air. My experience spans 35 years.

In Florida where most homes are predominantly CBS (concrete block stucco) with concrete slab floors this is not a problem so long as the plumbing (supply and waste) is sound

So yeah I would agree in Fla it most often be a reasonable approach but def not all parts of the country.

32 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Fair enough but even up north just because its old doesnt mean its leaky. Im sure a lot of places are bone dry. 

But i get your point

Yes agree.  A reasonably well maintained home usually doesnt get to the poor state I had described but OTOH so many homeowners are clueless as to whats happening inside ceilings, walls and floors despite the obvious signs of problems it still amazes me. 

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What the hell is bath fitters?

Bath fitters is a lower cost alternative to bathtub / shower area renovation.

It covers the existing tub, tiled walls and shower areas with "custom made & fitted" polycarbonate covers essentially leaving the existing bathtub and surrounding walls in place but hidden.  Depending on level of service paid for faucets, valve bodies, drains etc may also be changed.

Sometimes but not always it is like putting lipstick on a pig and only serves to hide underlying problems letting them worsen.

25 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Bath fitters is a lower cost alternative to bathtub / shower area renovation.

It covers the existing tub, tiled walls and shower areas with "custom made & fitted" polycarbonate covers essentially leaving the existing bathtub and surrounding walls in place but hidden.  Depending on level of service paid for faucets, valve bodies, drains etc may also be changed.

Sometimes but not always it is like putting lipstick on a pig and only serves to hide underlying problems letting them worsen.

Interesting. Lucky for me my family just hoses my fat ass off in the yard.

The leak was over years loose tiles bad grout in the shower area the water got behind the tiles I guess. The homeowner noticed the floor being soft 3 days after the bath fitter did the install after he decided to inspect the tile floor and wanted to replace it everything underneath the tile was wet moldy and rotten as were the walls behind the bath fitter. These guys only lick and stick new stuff over everything and anything. Needless to say he is contemplating a lawsuit but knowing him he wont and will just spend money fixing and using this as a life lesson learned. 

On 11/13/2017 at 6:20 PM, joewilly12 said:

There was a water leak all along they had tile falling off in the tub area bath fitter pulled off the loose tile on the water soaked walls  and glued the fiberglass walls to it.  

Bathfitters is probably a franchize.   Homeowner is partiallyat at fault here....  this type of leak , tiles falling, should have gotten a contractor in for an opinion before simply covering the problem.  The leak , as you explain it, was not caused by bathfitters correct?

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Bathfitters is probably a franchize.   Homeowner is partiallyat at fault here....  this type of leak , tiles falling, should have gotten a contractor in for an opinion before simply covering the problem.  The leak , as you explain it, was not caused by bathfitters correct?

Never said it was caused by Bath Fitters they should have recognized a more serious problem and notified the homeowner instead of covering it up. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Never said it was caused by Bath Fitters they should have recognized a more serious problem and notified the homeowner instead of covering it up. 

They're not plumbers, they're beauticians. Be like suing the guy at the car wash for not warning you that your transmission is going. Sounds like they did exactly what the homeowner asked them to do. 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

They're not plumbers, they're beauticians. Be like suing the guy at the car wash for not warning you that your transmission is going. Sounds like they did exactly what the homeowner asked them to do. 

Nope false, they called them to re-new the bath tub shower area tiles were falling off the wall. They covered water damaged/soaked walls and put an acrylic bathtub over a cast iron tub. They used a lot of glue. They had to have known the walls were damaged for a reason they said nothing. The contractor on the job now is gutting the entire bathroom and he was going to try and re-use the bath fitter products last I heard. 

8 hours ago, slats said:

Precisely. When someone is quoted 15-20K for a true bathroom remodel and then Bathfitters quote comes in at 65% less well.........

People are hoping for something magical and too often wind up with a cheap parlor trick

10 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Precisely. When someone is quoted 15-20K for a true bathroom remodel and then Bathfitters quote comes in at 65% less well.........

People are hoping for something magical and too often wind up with a cheap parlor trick

I agree 110% and thats why I made this post. 

When we rehabbed our bathroom, had no idea what we might find, but knew there was leaking. Guy who owned the house before us was a NYC Sanit man who literally took stuff out of the garbage and added to the house himself. And what we found was behind walls he had used old newspaper rather than insulation, which wasn't all that unusual. But more bizarre under the tub, apparently not trusting his own plumbing ability, he built a catch  bucket under the drain. He did not do any kind of math to consider drainage and evaporation, and there was damage. But remarkably no mold. Contractor was amazed.   

Bath fitters sounds like a really bad way to get a mold problem going in your bathroom. 

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

When we rehabbed our bathroom, had no idea what we might find, but knew there was leaking. Guy who owned the house before us was a NYC Sanit man who literally took stuff out of the garbage and added to the house himself. And what we found was behind walls he had used old newspaper rather than insulation, which wasn't all that unusual. But more bizarre under the tub, apparently not trusting his own plumbing ability, he built a catch  bucket under the drain. He did not do any kind of math to consider drainage and evaporation, and there was damage. But remarkably no mold. Contractor was amazed.   

Bath fitters sounds like a really bad way to get a mold problem going in your bathroom. 

That sounds like a disaster. My moms neighbor was doing a bathroom renovation project and found the previous homeowner used garden hose to get water supply to the 2nd floor added bathroom, he added the bathroom with no permits. 

On 11/13/2017 at 6:20 PM, joewilly12 said:

No, I have common sense.  Any  company you hire has aces and fools 

Sometimes you get the fool

Doesn't mean there is something wrong with the product or company 

• 1 month later...

Archived