An Introduction and Jet's Scheme Question

Dink and Drunk

I personally am not a fan of the 3-4 as you have to find specific players who are harder to find then typical 4-3 players and it calls for bigger ILBs which in todays passing league, struggle in coverage.  The steelers continue to be used as an example of a good 3-4 defense but the truth is they havent been able to develop LBs in a long time (aside from Watt who is great) and havent won as much as they should have with their elite offense.

What kills me about Bowles is that due to injuries in Arizona he wound up playing a 4-2-5 defense (media called it a "3 safety defense") and has been either unwilling or unable to play that defense here.

I think our best opportunity to improve the defense going forward is to re-sign Ealy and allow him to simply "rush" as much as possible.  We keep Mo and either play him as one DE with Mclendon and Leo as the DTs or ideally find a DE and play Mo and Leo as "4-3 DTs".  That 4 man line can both play the run and rush the passer, while allowing Leo and Mo to use their athletic ability to get into the backfield.

Lee and DD can be the "LBs" and we can utilize Adams as a hybrid playing in the slot and near the line where he excels making plays behind the LOS.  This would also free us up to play a "cover" type safety with Maye to help whoever our weaker CB is and let maye roam a bit to make plays on the ball.  

IMO this not only puts players like Mo and Leo into the best position to play to their abilities to simply beat their guy into the backfield rather then worrying about gap responsibility, but it can free up Lee and Adams to be interchangeable as blitzers which Adams is great at and Lee has the speed to be good at.  This also gets 5 DBs on the field to help mask any deficiencies we may have at CB in underneath coverage.

1 hour ago, Dink and Drunk said:

@PCP63  was describing a TCU scheme where the DL was two-gapping in a base 4-2, and also described how a 3rd hybrid safety sometimes help in run support. If it is possible in a 4-2, it seems just as possible if you replace that hybrid safety with an athletic OLB and call it a 4-3. Perhaps this is a over simplification.  

Yup, many teams do exactly that. They use 4-3 personnel. Just like Rex Ryan would use 4-3 personnel when he'd bring out the 46. His father, on the other hand, didn't use 4-3 personnel.

If interested in learning more, here's a fantastic resource dump on the 4-2-5:

https://coachhoover.blogspot.com/2011/12/4-2-5.html

While not exactly the same, the odd stack (3-3-5) is also a 6-man box, and many (including me) use it with split field coverage. There's not as much info out there, but there are some great resources that expand on some of the TCU-style coverages. The common ones are 2-read, robber, squats/halves/"cover 2" (names can be deceiving!), solo, and special. Odd stack gets fun with all of the blitzes and confusion it can cause for OL. Obviously, that advantage is severely mitigated when applied to the NFL, where almost all players are smart, athletic freaks, but you can get some fantastic blitzing from the odd stack. It is very susceptible to power, though, if you don't break the stacks of the LBs over the DL.

Special is the preferred coverage vs. trips sets. Allows you to double the backside split end, while remaining in your 2-read coverage to the trips side. Against 2 x 2 sets, 2-read is preferred, as it allows you to double the #1 receiver if the slot heads towards the flat (you vacate the strong side flat in most "quarters" coverages).

Welcome, and appreciate a good football discussion, welcome change from the usual material here.

I don't know enough myself to contribute my own independent thoughts, but I will provide this link to a good recent article on Jets offensive scheme, and how Mortion successfully incorporated elements of air raid or run n' shoot.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-new-york-jets-offense

Before coming to the Jets, Morton had spent two years as the New Orleans Saints' wide receiver coach, and it's very apparent that Sean Payton had a huge influence on Morton. New Orleans' passing attack is essentially an adaptation of the air raid and run 'n' shoot principles that Mike Leach, June Jones, and other coaches prolifically used at the collegiate level. The entire passing offense comes together as a nice blend of traditional NFL-style West Coast concepts with air raid and run 'n' shoot plays sprinkled in. Today, the focus will be placed on the collegiate side of the Jets offense

20 minutes ago, jpoppy717 said:

Welcome, and appreciate a good football discussion, welcome change from the usual material here.

I don't know enough myself to contribute my own independent thoughts, but I will provide this link to a good recent article on Jets offensive scheme, and how Mortion successfully incorporated elements of air raid or run n' shoot.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-new-york-jets-offense

Excellent find, great article.  Morton and Bates can really help take a college QB like Mayfield or even Luke Falk (plays in air raid now) and shorten their learning curve to get them on the field in 2018.

Archived