The NFL has a big problem

Jetster

These primetime matchups have been horrific. The players are running the asylum. Cam with his stupid screaming & shimmying after making a play, wasn't this the same guy that turtled in his Super Bowl chance? The vast amount of horrible teams is mind numbing, flags are continuosly slowing the game down, I mean the Jets game had a holding call on the 1st play of the game. 

Meanwhile the New England Patriots are streaking again & somehow acquire Martellus Bennett who feigns an injury, gets released, and slides right in to a Super Bowl squad & plays on SNF? 

I know personally a lot of people who have turned away from the NFL, in fact I believe that fantasy football has become more important to the NFLs future than the actual games themselves which are really hard to watch. And why watch a game if you can just watch red zone? Goodell & these fat cat owners have finally ruined the game. More than half the league doesn't have a competent coach, let alone a competent QB.

Week after week I watch Todd Bowles standing with his arms crossed like a wooden Indian statue, but when I'm watching WINNING teams like the Pats, Eagles, Chiefs, Rams, I see their coaches completely involved on the sideline, looking at photos, making actual notes, talking to the coaching staff, barking at the refs, letting their team know they have not been embalmed. 

With Todd Bowles announcing that the Jets are sticking with McCown, it solidifies my belief that Bowles & Macc are losers that need to go for the crime of passing on Deshaun Watson. If you have no faith in the 2 guys behind Mr. 6-28 Josh McCown passing on Watson is an unforgivable offense for a team needing a franchise QB in forever. First year ever that I will boycott the Jets. I can't support the kind of stupidity this organization shows year after year. Not only do I hope the Jets lose the next 4, I hope they get embarrassed! That seems to be the only thing that catches this owners attention! Those close 4th quarter losses just embolden this franchise into having us believe that we're just about to turn the corner. The NFL & this team are a joke & I hope Brady wins 5 more championships in a row to prove it! Love to see a 45 year old Brady take the Lombardi from Goodell, while viewership is at its lowest EVER with Patriot nation & the runner up losers the only ones who witnessed that crap.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fans wanted the celebrating.  That's why its there.  This is not a problem.  And Cam has been doing this his whole career.

The NFL being skewed for the teams with power is nothing new.  The Patriots are Cheaters, it's proven fact and nobody gives a **** because Craft pulls the strings.  This sh*t has been going on for years and it's all good and the fans still tune in.  

The problem the NFL has is that games have become incredibly boring and the product is terrible.  Flat out, the product sucks, the games are boring and slow and there are zero surprises in the NFL.  Do you know what the only "upset" was in the NFL last week?  The Bucs over the Jets.  And anyone that knows the New York Jets, saw this loss coming from a mile away (except Pac).  It really wasn't an upset at all.  Therefore, there is nothing thrilling about the NFL.  Maybe come playoff time you get an exciting match up or upset but 95% of the time in the NFL, the favorite wins.  And that's why college Football is 1000000x more interesting and exciting.  Every week means something and it's pure chaos.  The biggest problem the NFL has, is the college game especially now with the playoffs, is 10000000x more entertaining.  As soon as the "fans" that the NFL has been desperately trying to attract realize how much better the college game is, the sooner the NFL has to worry.

I've always maintained the NFL was king...but that's changed.  Between all the bull sh*t that surrounds the league, the terrible on field play, the lack of upsets...they just can't make the claim anymore IMO.  And I'm saying this during one of the worst stretches that I've seen from Florida Football in my life.

Nothing lasts forever.  

The NFL has been on top for a couple decades.  Things have changed a lot in that time.  Interest in sports in general is declining.  Personally, I think there is a lot the NFL could do to make the product better, and I would be very happy to see that happen, but I don't think it would have much impact on viewership.  There are just a lot of different options for your dollar and for your hour and the more casual fans are turning to other things.

Personally, I am fine with that.  NFL ratings are still higher than most things.  Its still on TV.  I am still able to watch.  I would be fine with it becoming a niche sport again.  

7 minutes ago, baamf said:

Have to agree.  This past weekend I watched 3 full college games and only about 3/4 of the Jets snorefest.  This coming from a guy who was a Jets season ticket holder for 27 years and once lived for the NFL.  No more...

Its an anomaly.  The TV ratings disagree with you.  NFL ratings may be declining but they are still getting far more viewers than college football.

Everything everyone else has said is true as far as I’m concerned. Yet for me I find myself disliking more players than I actually like or root for. Not just Jet players but all the players in the league. The emphasis is on branding themselves and making money. That in its self is fine I realize this is how they make their living but very few of them play up to the imaginary persona they created through social media.

OBJ is a fruit loop head case that made that spectacular one handed  catch that launched him as the face of the NFL. Now he had numerous embarrassing game antics and the pre playoff shirtless sausage party boat picture is the last thing that team actually did as a team other than lose miserably. 

Can Newton was cute with his Superman schtick and had a trip to the Superbowl and he flat out quit on that fumble . Mrs Crusher has watched football with me for twenty years and that’s the  first thing she really ever noticed.  Looked at the kids and said ,” You ever quit like that on your team like that and you will never play another  sport!”

The NFL making believe it’s a sport when it’s actually a reality TV show with the most contrived and unlikeable cast ever. 

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

The fans wanted the celebrating.  That's why its there.  This is not a problem.  And Cam has been doing this his whole career.

The NFL being skewed for the teams with power is nothing new.  The Patriots are Cheaters, it's proven fact and nobody gives a **** because Craft pulls the strings.  This sh*t has been going on for years and it's all good and the fans still tune in.  

The problem the NFL has is that games have become incredibly boring and the product is terrible.  Flat out, the product sucks, the games are boring and slow and there are zero surprises in the NFL.  Do you know what the only "upset" was in the NFL last week?  The Bucs over the Jets.  And anyone that knows the New York Jets, saw this loss coming from a mile away (except Pac).  It really wasn't an upset at all.  Therefore, there is nothing thrilling about the NFL.  Maybe come playoff time you get an exciting match up or upset but 95% of the time in the NFL, the favorite wins.  And that's why college Football is 1000000x more interesting and exciting.  Every week means something and it's pure chaos.  The biggest problem the NFL has, is the college game especially now with the playoffs, is 10000000x more entertaining.  As soon as the "fans" that the NFL has been desperately trying to attract realize how much better the college game is, the sooner the NFL has to worry.

I've always maintained the NFL was king...but that's changed.  Between all the bull sh*t that surrounds the league, the terrible on field play, the lack of upsets...they just can't make the claim anymore IMO.  And I'm saying this during one of the worst stretches that I've seen from Florida Football in my life.

Yep.  I've never cared about college football before, but I find myself enjoying the weekly craziness the college game provides, even at the casual level.

It's a problem when the pro league lags behind the college ranks.  The NBA isn't great but it has some interesting star power at least, and casual college fans don't care about the college game until the NCAA Tournament anyways. 

But in football, the college regular season is huge, with every big game seemingly like a playoff atmosphere.  and the 4-game playoff tends to live up to the hype.  Last year's national title game was the best I've ever seen, even better than the Vince Young/Matt Leinart/Reggie Bush Texas-USC game. 

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

- NFL needs a develomental league.

- NFL needs to get more off season practice time in the new CBA.

- No more Thursday night games.

For a long time, I've thought that the CFL should be the NFL's "second division".  Then, like in all countries which have great soccer leagues, you incorporate relegation.  Two or three of the worst NFL teams go down to the second division (CFL), while a similar number of teams from the second division go up to the NFL.   Never happen.  But  sounds interesting.

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For a long time, I've thought that the CFL should be the NFL's "second division".  Then, like in all countries which have great soccer leagues, you incorporate relegation.  Two or three of the worst NFL teams go down to the second division (CFL), while a similar number of teams from the second division go up to the NFL.   Never happen.  But  sounds interesting.

Relegation wouldn't work, but I'd like the idea of the CFL being bought out by the NFL as the NFL's "minor league", except the NFL would find a way to f*ck that up too.

The NBA "G" League is a decent system.  They have a separate draft of G-League players who aren't quite at the NBA level, or at least not yet.  They could do something similar in the NFL.  Fill that league up with undrafted free agents and/or have a separate draft.  Teams wouldn't have to cut so many players in the offseason, they could designate a bunch of them to the minor league. 

This would be essential for QB's and offensive linemen, in particular.  So many colleges use non-pro systems, the minor league would be useful to show them the pro system and see if their raw talent can cut it. 

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

The NFL being skewed for the teams with power is nothing new.    

there are zero surprises in the NFL.    Therefore, there is nothing thrilling about the NFL.  Maybe come playoff time you get an exciting match up or upset but 95% of the time in the NFL, the favorite wins.  

this, and the perception that the refs (and by extension, the league itself) helps certain teams win.  how many times do we sit watching jet games when the jets are actually winning, just waiting for the refs to screw us?  was anyone really surprised when they took away ASJ's td vs. NE?  that's what's ruining the league, the reality that 8 teams with real good qbs are also favored by the refs, and you have millions of YOUNGER fans around the country unwilling to put up with the bs while older fans stick around hoping the league will change.

Your right, the games are horrible. Just think about that sh*tshow we witnessed on Sunday. Josh McCown vs Ryan Fitzpatrick? That alone is all you need to know about the desperate straights the NFL is in today. Look at the lack of interest in the LA teams. That Rams team would be selling out MetLife every Sunday, that's for damn sure.

Every game they turn to you see empty seats. Do you know HOW I know the NFL is worried? The networks are not happy with ANY loss of viewership & it will get worse once half the league are out of the playoff race. The other thing I noticed, the BLATENT attempt to heal the divide between Patriotic fans sick of the anthem bullsh*t & the corny suck up commercials the NFL is running along with the USA coaches jackets ect. 

Think about the team we root for, for the moment. Our owner is in England as Ambassador so he just hands the keys over to his brother, lol. Here ya go Chris. What the f*ck does Chris Johnson know about this team other than his silver spooned brother owns them? 

Namath made the NY Jets a household name, I was 8 years old, I fell in love with them. They were cool, he was cool. The city loved them. Almost 49 years later, here we are watching a f*cking 38 year old has been with a 6-28 record in his last 34 games & we're actually spending hard earned money for it! Holy sh*t, it's just mind boggling to me just how inept this franchise is. But I've got a great idea, lets fire Bowles & hire another neophyte DC to stumble around for another 3/4 years picking safeties over a franchise QB fully knowing & admitting his 2nd & 3rd young QBs are utter garbage. You just can't make this sh*t up when it comes to this team & the idiots chosen to run it over & over! 

24 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Everything everyone else has said is true as far as I’m concerned. Yet for me I find myself disliking more players than I actually like or root for. Not just Jet players but all the players in the league. The emphasis is on branding themselves and making money. That in its self is fine I realize this is how they make their living but very few of them play up to the imaginary persona they created through social media.

OBJ is a fruit loop head case that made that spectacular one handed  catch that launched him as the face of the NFL. Now he had numerous embarrassing game antics and the pre playoff shirtless sausage party boat picture is the last thing that team actually did as a team other than lose miserably. 

Can Newton was cute with his Superman schtick and had a trip to the Superbowl and he flat out quit on that fumble . Mrs Crusher has watched football with me for twenty years and that’s the  first thing she really ever noticed.  Looked at the kids and said ,” You ever quit like that on your team like that and you will never play another  sport!”

The NFL making believe it’s a sport when it’s actually a reality TV show with the most contrived and unlikeable cast ever. 

Well said. 

MNF isn't the marquee night anymore, that's Sunday Night where the 2nd half of the year they have flex scheduling but things change quick in this league from year to year so we will always get crappy prime time games assuming teams will be good again when that rarely happens outside of a few teams.  The real question is who in the heck decided to give Miami back to back prime time games? 

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Its an anomaly.  The TV ratings disagree with you.  NFL ratings may be declining but they are still getting far more viewers than college football.

That doesn't mean its better.  

What's like the #1 show in America?  The Big Bang Theory?  No offense to those who like, its a total piece of sh*t. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

What's like the #1 show in America?  The Big Bang Theory?  No offense to those who like, its a total piece of sh*t. 

1 minute ago, Ken Shroy said:

Agreed. That is crap that I wouldn't waste my time on.

It's a shell of it's former self.  But in its heyday, TBBT was a well written and acted show.  Tons of laughs.

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  I've never cared about college football before, but I find myself enjoying the weekly craziness the college game provides, even at the casual level.

It's a problem when the pro league lags behind the college ranks.  The NBA isn't great but it has some interesting star power at least, and casual college fans don't care about the college game until the NCAA Tournament anyways. 

But in football, the college regular season is huge, with every big game seemingly like a playoff atmosphere.  and the 4-game playoff tends to live up to the hype.  Last year's national title game was the best I've ever seen, even better than the Vince Young/Matt Leinart/Reggie Bush Texas-USC game. 

Agreed.  And then there's the looming expanded playoffs which is just going to water down the entire regular season even more and just make everything worse. 

I prefer college ball to NBA because it's IMO a better representation of the way the game should be played.  The BBall snob in me.  I know others feel differently because of talent but I prefer more fundamental approach to the game then 1 pass and shoot and zero effort on D.

Interestingly enough, I prefer NFL ball to college Football for much of the same reason.  I literally can't stand Big 12 Football.  It's awful.  I'd rather watch Arena League.  That said, you can't deny the excitement of the big match ups, even in the leagues I don't really respect.  The drama of each game, the drama of the conference champs and now the drama of the playoffs.  It's just great.  And while the NCAA is a disgusting corrupt corporate beast much like the NFL, you don't have deal with the 90% of the bullsh*t that comes along with it which takes away from the game day experience.  NCAA is much more celebratory of their upstanding college athletes/heart warming stories whereas the NFL prefers too focus on the more dramatic controversial headlines.  It all adds up and while the way the game is played might be more my style, the overall product isn't close right now IMO...and I've always been the complete opposite. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

this, and the perception that the refs (and by extension, the league itself) helps certain teams win.  how many times do we sit watching jet games when the jets are actually winning, just waiting for the refs to screw us?  was anyone really surprised when they took away ASJ's td vs. NE?  that's what's ruining the league, the reality that 8 teams with real good qbs are also favored by the refs, and you have millions of YOUNGER fans around the country unwilling to put up with the bs while older fans stick around hoping the league will change.

Yep.  The refs dictate way too much.  The league is revolved too much around one position.  The favoritism is real and evident. 

And in a bit of a defense to the Refs, the rules are ambiguous and loosely interpreted.  So each guy might see something differently.  They're also constantly second guessed, including replay on almost everything.  So part of me feels bad for the guys.  They can't win.  And the game is so sloppy now with the CBA changes that players are just not really dialed in till midseason, or so it seems and they can't help but throw the flag. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

The NFL & this team are a joke & I hope Brady wins 5 more championships in a row to prove it! Love to see a 45 year old Brady take the Lombardi from Goodell, while viewership is at its lowest EVER with Patriot nation & the runner up losers the only ones who witnessed that crap.

GTFO.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yep.  The refs dictate way too much.  The league is revolved too much around one position.  The favoritism is real and evident. 

And in a bit of a defense to the Refs, the rules are ambiguous and loosely interpreted.  So each guy might see something differently.  They're also constantly second guessed, including replay on almost everything.  So part of me feels bad for the guys.  They can't win.  And the game is so sloppy now with the CBA changes that players are just not really dialed in till midseason, or so it seems and they can't help but throw the flag. 

the rules suck, they were changed to enhance scoring to increase viewership, but what's happened is that teams with good qb have a much bigger advantage over teams that don't.  i find myself too often waiting to celebrate good plays, like the maye INT they took back for bogus contact.  

i've been watching football for 40 years, i'm invested, but my son isn't.  he would rather do 5 things on computers/phones/games, etc, and check in on his fantasy team, rather than live and die with one team like so many of us here have done all our lives.  the nfl does not see that the habits of the younger fans are way different than ours, there are so many more options out there than just the nfl, and that lots of fans really are sick of seeing the same teams win and their hometown teams lose.  it wears you down, it creates an undercurrent of pessimism about the league, and then we see these owners fighting with the commissioner and it just makes me wonder why i care about who the hell the jets draft in the 3rd round when he's not going to see the field and nothing is ever going to make a difference unless you somehow get a real good qb who is very marketable which should in theory lead to more favorable refereeing.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Your right, the games are horrible. Just think about that sh*tshow we witnessed on Sunday. Josh McCown vs Ryan Fitzpatrick? That alone is all you need to know about the desperate straights the NFL is in today.

I think you are confusing problems.  McCown and Fitzpatrick are guys that should only be starting because of injuries.  If it weren't for coaching incompetence neither would have started a game other than as an injury replacement in five years.  Many of the rules we are bitching about, like Concrete Charlie, are designed so that the QB can where his tutu back there and not worry about getting injured.

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the rules suck, they were changed to enhance scoring to increase viewership, but what's happened is that teams with good qb have a much bigger advantage over teams that don't.  i find myself too often waiting to celebrate good plays, like the maye INT they took back for bogus contact.  

i've been watching football for 40 years, i'm invested, but my son isn't.  he would rather do 5 things on computers/phones/games, etc, and check in on his fantasy team, rather than live and die with one team like so many of us here have done all our lives.  the nfl does not see that the habits of the younger fans are way different than ours, there are so many more options out there than just the nfl, and that lots of fans really are sick of seeing the same teams win and their hometown teams lose.  it wears you down, it creates an undercurrent of pessimism about the league, and then we see these owners fighting with the commissioner and it just makes me wonder why i care about who the hell the jets draft in the 3rd round when he's not going to see the field and nothing is ever going to make a difference unless you somehow get a real good qb who is very marketable which should in theory lead to more favorable refereeing.

Problem is the younger guys who would be the NFL's target market have many more entertainment options.Now A lot of them play fantasy, but that doesn't translate into watching one team nor buying tickets nor watching games.

And as to we old folks, no desire at all to go to an NFL game to get hit off the head with the cash register and pay top dollar for that ...privilege.Have friends who had tickets variously for the Giants, Jets and Eagles. Either every person dumped them already or are are dumping them. And that's before you get to the typical white guy segment that is unhappy about the Kaepernick stuff. 

And as many have said , tired of watching a play to hear "flag is down". Holding and PI look completely arbitrary, and block in the back flags on special teams plays get thrown out of habit.   

One more thing;tired of IDIOT NFL people badmouthing NCAA football for run and shoot/hurry up offenses. NOBODY watches football to see ANOTHER FREAKING DRAW PLAY. Might want to incorporate something good about NCAA offenses and stop whining about how they don't play pro style offense. This pretending that there's something holy and sacred about watching the likes of  Rex Ryan and them Todd Bowles give us crap run/run/3rd and 8 4 yard pass offense year after year but the NCAA is at fault because they aren't doing things right is crap. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  And then there's the looming expanded playoffs which is just going to water down the entire regular season even more and just make everything worse. 

I prefer college ball to NBA because it's IMO a better representation of the way the game should be played.  The BBall snob in me.  I know others feel differently because of talent but I prefer more fundamental approach to the game then 1 pass and shoot and zero effort on D.

Interestingly enough, I prefer NFL ball to college Football for much of the same reason.  I literally can't stand Big 12 Football.  It's awful.  I'd rather watch Arena League.  That said, you can't deny the excitement of the big match ups, even in the leagues I don't really respect.  The drama of each game, the drama of the conference champs and now the drama of the playoffs.  It's just great.  And while the NCAA is a disgusting corrupt corporate beast much like the NFL, you don't have deal with the 90% of the bullsh*t that comes along with it which takes away from the game day experience.  NCAA is much more celebratory of their upstanding college athletes/heart warming stories whereas the NFL prefers too focus on the more dramatic controversial headlines.  It all adds up and while the way the game is played might be more my style, the overall product isn't close right now IMO...and I've always been the complete opposite. 

Where corruption goes, bad play tends to follow.  The bubble tends to burst.  Hence some of the sh*t going on in the NFL and big-time NCAA sports.

A sport I actually enjoy a lot now is College Baseball.  It's a non-revenue sport, so the NCAA's dirty hands have mostly left it alone.  UNCW has a great program, for which I'm the PA Announcer, and their coach, Mark Scalf, has been the Head Coach for 26 years, is underpaid, but has made the program a perennial Regional team. 

And it's not just the Seahawks I watch.  I'll find myself watching SEC Baseball games when they're on TV.  That league is incredible.  LSU draws more fans to their games than some MLB teams on the regular. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I never said it was better.  I think it is, I don't really care for college football at all, but the conversation was regarding a declining viewership.  The fact is that it may be declining, but its still getting far better ratings.

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I am glad Jerry is holding up Goodells new contract.  Goodell sucks.  Only positive I see now in the NFL.

He’s only doing it because of Zeke’s suspension 

Goodell has been an inept ass clown for over a decade prior 

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where corruption goes, bad play tends to follow.  The bubble tends to burst.  Hence some of the sh*t going on in the NFL and big-time NCAA sports.

A sport I actually enjoy a lot now is College Baseball.  It's a non-revenue sport, so the NCAA's dirty hands have mostly left it alone.  UNCW has a great program, for which I'm the PA Announcer, and their coach, Mark Scalf, has been the Head Coach for 26 years, is underpaid, but has made the program a perennial Regional team. 

And it's not just the Seahawks I watch.  I'll find myself watching SEC Baseball games when they're on TV.  That league is incredible.  LSU draws more fans to their games than some MLB teams on the regular. 

Agreed.  Though it's very challenging to watch if you're team isn't good.  Wont lie, I didn't pay attention till Sullivan made the Gators annual contenders.  Now, Im not saying I know follow them the way I do Football and Bball but if they're on, I watch and I usually go to a couple games a year in Gville. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

These primetime matchups have been horrific. The players are running the asylum. Cam with his stupid screaming & shimmying after making a play, wasn't this the same guy that turtled in his Super Bowl chance? The vast amount of horrible teams is mind numbing, flags are continuosly slowing the game down, I mean the Jets game had a holding call on the 1st play of the game. 

Meanwhile the New England Patriots are streaking again & somehow acquire Martellus Bennett who feigns an injury, gets released, and slides right in to a Super Bowl squad & plays on SNF? 

I know personally a lot of people who have turned away from the NFL, in fact I believe that fantasy football has become more important to the NFLs future than the actual games themselves which are really hard to watch. And why watch a game if you can just watch red zone? Goodell & these fat cat owners have finally ruined the game. More than half the league doesn't have a competent coach, let alone a competent QB.

Week after week I watch Todd Bowles standing with his arms crossed like a wooden Indian statue, but when I'm watching WINNING teams like the Pats, Eagles, Chiefs, Rams, I see their coaches completely involved on the sideline, looking at photos, making actual notes, talking to the coaching staff, barking at the refs, letting their team know they have not been embalmed. 

With Todd Bowles announcing that the Jets are sticking with McCown, it solidifies my belief that Bowles & Macc are losers that need to go for the crime of passing on Deshaun Watson. If you have no faith in the 2 guys behind Mr. 6-28 Josh McCown passing on Watson is an unforgivable offense for a team needing a franchise QB in forever. First year ever that I will boycott the Jets. I can't support the kind of stupidity this organization shows year after year. Not only do I hope the Jets lose the next 4, I hope they get embarrassed! That seems to be the only thing that catches this owners attention! Those close 4th quarter losses just embolden this franchise into having us believe that we're just about to turn the corner. The NFL & this team are a joke & I hope Brady wins 5 more championships in a row to prove it! Love to see a 45 year old Brady take the Lombardi from Goodell, while viewership is at its lowest EVER with Patriot nation & the runner up losers the only ones who witnessed that crap.

On 9/2/2017 at 10:38 AM, Jetster said:

You are truly one of the worst most miserable Jet fans I've ever encountered.

Archived