The NFL has a big problem

Jetster

12 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I never said it was better.  I think it is, I don't really care for college football at all, but the conversation was regarding a declining viewership.  The fact is that it may be declining, but its still getting far better ratings.

Sure.  Pro sports always cast a wider net and the NFL has done a great job of getting the casual viewer to want to follow more closely.  I think Fantasy helps in the dept for sure.  

It's only a 16 games season and this country loves Football, the NFL will always have that going for them when it comes to viewership. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its basically an 8 team league. The idea and talking point about parity is a joke. Officiating is crooked. Rules are made and changed and interpreted to always favor the haves, and further decrease the chances for the have nots, the Teams with zero prestige or gravitas in the league. 

Organizations are allowed to cheat without real ramifications. The integrity of the game js broken. Prestige teams with powerful owners and QBs considered "important for the league" are allowed to circumvent the cap. These problems are decades old.

Now add the fact that the league is run by a tone deaf moron who is as clumsy as he is stupid.  And then, throw in some epidemic woman beating, DUIs, gun charges, a couple of murders, and general stupidity. 

The cherry on top? Honestly? Real talk? Teams that now literally have one white guy as a starter, if that. Guys like Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, the prolific dreadlocks sticking out of half the helmets in the league. People want to root for guys they can relate to. And for a large % of the fanbases, that's going away. It was always OK to despise the showboating douchebags in the league (Gastineau) but what happens when the entire league culture is a bunch of showboating douchebags shimming, dancing, crotch grabbing, simulated *******, and pounding their chests while screaming after every inconsequential play of every game? And now those guys have further alienated themselves with protests in the form of an offensive display of kneeling during the presentation of colors and playing the Star Spangled Banner. 

Its all just a formula for failure. Its become a boring game played by unlikeable assholes for teams owned by greedy douchebags with no consistent enforcement of rules.

Why would anyone sane really care any more?

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Its basically an 8 team league. The idea and talking point about parity is a joke. Officiating is crooked. Rules are made and changed and interpreted to always favor the haves, and further decrease the chances for the have nots, the Teams with zero prestige or gravitas in the league. 

Organizations are allowed to cheat without real ramifications. The integrity of the game js broken. Prestige teams with powerful owners and QBs considered "important for the league" are allowed to circumvent the cap. These problems are decades old.

Now add the fact that the league is run by a tone deaf moron who is as clumsy as he is stupid.  And then, throw in some epidemic woman beating, DUIs, gun charges, a couple of murders, and general stupidity. 

The cherry on top? Honestly? Real talk? Teams that now literally have one white guy as a starter, if that. Guys like Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, the prolific dreadlocks sticking out of half the helmets in the league. People want to root for guys they can relate to. And for a large % of the fanbases, that's going away. It was always OK to despise the showboating douchebags in the league (Gastineau) but what happens when the entire league culture is a bunch of showboating douchebags shimming, dancing, crotch grabbing, simulated *******, and pounding their chests while screaming after every inconsequential play of every game? And now those guys have further alienated themselves with protests in the form of an offensive display of kneeling during the presentation of colors and playing the Star Spangled Banner. 

Its all just a formula for failure. Its become a boring game played by unlikeable assholes for teams owned by greedy douchebags with no consistent enforcement of rules.

Why would anyone sane really care any more?

Image result for Joe Namath fur coat

True story.

i watch zero NFL now unless it's just happens to be on in the background.

I do still watch Jets games but can't say I really care about it too much.

I try to still watch some college football but nothing close to what I used to

fantasy football is a nice distraction from real things so although I don't play I get why people do. It's also the only reason the NFL is still relevant imo 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

O yeah, been watching more college ball than ever and it’s by far and away a superior product. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Everything everyone else has said is true as far as I’m concerned. Yet for me I find myself disliking more players than I actually like or root for. Not just Jet players but all the players in the league. The emphasis is on branding themselves and making money. That in its self is fine I realize this is how they make their living but very few of them play up to the imaginary persona they created through social media.

OBJ is a fruit loop head case that made that spectacular one handed  catch that launched him as the face of the NFL. Now he had numerous embarrassing game antics and the pre playoff shirtless sausage party boat picture is the last thing that team actually did as a team other than lose miserably. 

Can Newton was cute with his Superman schtick and had a trip to the Superbowl and he flat out quit on that fumble . Mrs Crusher has watched football with me for twenty years and that’s the  first thing she really ever noticed.  Looked at the kids and said ,” You ever quit like that on your team like that and you will never play another  sport!”

The NFL making believe it’s a sport when it’s actually a reality TV show with the most contrived and unlikeable cast ever. 

I'd love to see pre- CBA players. Who  practiced in pads all week, go against the soft coddled players of today.

Fun to watch Reggie White, Bruce Smith, LT and the like, just destroy them. Then running off crying for momma.

Can someone name me some teams that are actually exciting to watch? Seriously, someone help me out. 

Eagles - They are actually one of those teams that are fun to watch. Young QB that had gotten so much better. 

Patriots - Simply because I hate them and love to root against them. 

Packers - Rodgers is hurt. Almost unbearable to watch. 

Saints, Seahawks, Panthers, ALLLLLL boring. 

Rams - Pretty exciting. Young team that has gotten so much better.

AFC South - Trash. 

AFC WEST - I only enjoy watching KC and Oakland. 

North - only the Steelers worth watching. 

26 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The NFL is absolutely horrible to watch. I watched 10 minutes of the game night and I had to turn it off. 

It's literally unwatchable for me. No joke. Even the Jets games I actually watch. 

I almost feel bad for people who still take it seriously. It's like borderline WWF but without the funny characters.

College football is just way better. The NFL product sucks now. Games are boring.  I used to never miss a game but now I'll just watch the Jets (which is bad enough). Once the Jets get a QB and start winning I'm sure I'll be back into it more but until then I'll spend my Sunday night watching something else. Won't even get into Monday Night which has been pathetic for years. You have issues if you are excited to watch Panthers v Jay Cutler

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It's literally unwatchable for me. No joke. Even the Jets games I actually watch. 

I almost feel bad for people who still take it seriously. It's like borderline WWF but without the funny characters.

Agreed....  was out shopping and watched a tatted, lumberjack kind of guy, (im sure a good guy) walk into a sportsbar with a Black and gold hard hat, Rothesberger jersey on ready to plop down in the bar for 4 hours.

I used to do that...  no more.  I watched a bit og the NE game.  Saw the bad calls, bad coaching by Bowles etc.    I no longer go out of my way to watch the NFL. If its on..ill watch but Ive been reading a LOT more, working on hobbies etc.

Do NOT miss the NFL.

53 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Can someone name me some teams that are actually exciting to watch? Seriously, someone help me out. 

Eagles - They are actually one of those teams that are fun to watch. Young QB that had gotten so much better. 

Patriots - Simply because I hate them and love to root against them. 

Packers - Rodgers is hurt. Almost unbearable to watch. 

Saints, Seahawks, Panthers, ALLLLLL boring. 

Rams - Pretty exciting. Young team that has gotten so much better.

AFC South - Trash. 

AFC WEST - I only enjoy watching KC and Oakland. 

North - only the Steelers worth watching. 

Pretty good synopsis. Can't argue with it. Well, maybe the Saints being boring.....

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Image result for Joe Namath fur coat

Yup. And he was hated by the NFL, and aside from New York City, most of America. And the NFL allowed Defensive players to destroy Joe. 

But Joe also always acted like a Pro on Game Day (even when hung over), and aside from the Bachelors III nonsense, remind me about a time Joe was a problem? He liked having sex with Ann Margaret, not tuning her up in an elevator...

Otherwise a solid point. 

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The difference between my comments regarding the Jets are yours are huge. I don't think EVERY draft pick is a BUST like you. I'm sure your POSITIVE that every QB in the upcoming draft will be a BUST.

5 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yup. And he was hated by the NFL, and aside from New York City, most of America. And the NFL allowed Defensive players to destroy Joe. 

But Joe also always acted like a Pro on Game Day (even when hung over), and aside from the Bachelors III nonsense, remind me about a time Joe was a problem? He liked having sex with Ann Margaret, not tuning her up in an elevator...

Otherwise a solid point. 

So just imagine this period. Joe was loved by the fans in NY but obviously loathed in redneck places, old school NFL cities like Greenbay, Chicago, Philly, Baltimore. But there was a huge difference, you could kill the QB back then, so there is no doubt in my mind that Raiders fans hoped their dirty defense would rough Joe up and they did which was a great dynamic and the NFL played that up with NFL films on John Facendas booming voice.

What we get today is to sit down to a game of Jets vs Patriots, where they've already put in a rule because Brady once got hurt & the face of the NFL was out for the year. Every time we play them, fans exclaim how bad they want Brady annihilated, only to see every hit on him a roughing the passer, his oline holding all game long without 1 call, numerous 3rd & longs tossed up for the eventual PI that will follow giving the Pats a free 36 yards on 3rd & 15, and the obligatory Announcer saying, "hmm don't see it, tough call". Its like clockwork & was on full display just a few weeks ago. If Brady played in Namaths day someone would have taken his head off if he ran, but we got to see him actually go out & lead block, only to have our pussy defense literally RUN AROUND him as to not hurt the face of the NFL. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed....  was out shopping and watched a tatted, lumberjack kind of guy, (im sure a good guy) walk into a sportsbar with a Black and gold hard hat, Rothesberger jersey on ready to plop down in the bar for 4 hours.

Do NOT miss the NFL.

That was me, as recently as 2015, granted with a green and white Jets Fire Helmet I made and a Klecko jersey...... Then I just started losing interest in the NFL. Patriots again. Jets a laughingstock again. Players I simply dont like. An incompetent organization, a pathetic owner. Already decided to forgo going to a live game NEXT season. Had I gone to a game this year, it would have been Tampa. LOL. Be out around $1,000 just to be pissed off? No thanks. 

Jets dont get my attention again until they show they consistently get it. Might be never. Glad none of our guys jumped on the attention bandwagon and disrespected our flag though, so we've got that goi g for us.

But going to a sports bar for 3+ hours? Buying jerseys for guys who will be on another team in 3-4 years? Going to games and spending hundreds of dollars for 4 hours of frustration? Yeah no thanks.

36 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So just imagine this period. Joe was loved by the fans in NY but obviously loathed in redneck places, old school NFL cities like Greenbay, Chicago, Philly, Baltimore. But there was a huge difference, you could kill the QB back then, so there is no doubt in my mind that Raiders fans hoped their dirty defense would rough Joe up and they did which was a great dynamic and the NFL played that up with NFL films on John Facendas booming voice.

What we get today is to sit down to a game of Jets vs Patriots, where they've already put in a rule because Brady once got hurt & the face of the NFL was out for the year. Every time we play them, fans exclaim how bad they want Brady annihilated, only to see every hit on him a roughing the passer, his oline holding all game long without 1 call, numerous 3rd & longs tossed up for the eventual PI that will follow giving the Pats a free 36 yards on 3rd & 15, and the obligatory Announcer saying, "hmm don't see it, tough call". Its like clockwork & was on full display just a few weeks ago. If Brady played in Namaths day someone would have taken his head off if he ran, but we got to see him actually go out & lead block, only to have our pussy defense literally RUN AROUND him as to not hurt the face of the NFL. 

Yep. And Namath, being the tough guy badass he was, took it like a man, got up, dusted himself off, put his kneecap back in place, and threw the next one for a 75 yard TD off a 7 step drop. Without a dance, cock grab, or primal scream.

Which is why its hillarious when ignorant tools today try to disparage Namath as a HOFer. All they know is the dink and dunk sh*t started by Bill Walsh and perfected by the biggest pussy to ever play the game...

Because that was FOOTBALL. Not this Arena, WWE horsesh*t we're subjected to now, played by a bunch of Man-boys.

44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

players today hit harder and get hit harder than ever before.  They just cut out the dirty stuff or else players would be getting killed out there.  Oh and they also have tried to make it safer b/c of those same old players suing the NFL. 

Brady is 6'4" 225ish, Namath was 6'2" 200ish.  Brady has taken care of himself and isn't out drinking and smoking in bars every night.  Brady would have been just fine in that era especially against much smaller, less athletic players.

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yep. And Namath, being the tough guy badass he was, took it like a man, got up, dusted himself off, put his kneecap back in place, and threw the next one for a 75 yard TD off a 7 step drop. Without a dance, cock grab, or primal scream.

Which is why its hillarious when ignorant tools today try to disparage Namath as a HOFer. All they know is the dink and dunk sh*t started by Bill Walsh and perfected by the biggest pussy to ever play the game...

Because that was FOOTBALL. Not this Arena, WWE horsesh*t we're subjected to now, played by a bunch of Man-boys.

except it was more than likely he dusted himself off and threw an INT the next play as he threw 47 more INTs than TDs in his career.  Namath was tough, all NFL QBs are tough but QBs today get hit harder by bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players than ever before.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

except it was more than likely he dusted himself off and threw an INT the next play as he threw 47 more INTs than TDs in his career.  Namath was tough, all NFL QBs are tough but QBs today get hit harder by bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players than ever before.

I haven't seen that hard of a hit on a QB this year? Most get hurt by getting lifted & driven into the ground like Rogers. The game is completely pussified.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

players today hit harder and get hit harder than ever before.  They just cut out the dirty stuff or else players would be getting killed out there.  Oh and they also have tried to make it safer b/c of those same old players suing the NFL. 

Brady is 6'4" 225ish, Namath was 6'2" 200ish.  Brady has taken care of himself and isn't out drinking and smoking in bars every night.  Brady would have been just fine in that era especially against much smaller, less athletic players.

Yah. Okay. You bet....

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

LOL. Just.....lol.

The NFL is rigged by the corporate execs and executed by the crooked arse refs. 

Period. 

I have watched a total of almost one game this year... The Cheats game, where the refs clearly blatantly rigged it in front of our very eyes. I have not watched a moment this year before and I will no longer watch any at all until I am watching clips of Brady get clobbered. They are the Barry Bonds and are pure frauds. Period. 

I am also very happy I watched on a stream and denied them their advertising they wanted to brainwash me with. 

I hope they fail TBH. I'm not a fan of pro wrestling and I'm not a fan of this garbage. And I am not alone, make no mistake about it. 

It is cheating and rigged games... and now political propaganda. PERIOD. 

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

it is now a pussy "game" and I'm not gonna watch it. I don't give the slightest fvck to watch their dancing with the stars bullshlt 

12 hours ago, nyjunc said:

LOL Bro,,,, WHAT??? Who are you kidding?! 

Biggest pussy to ever perform in any kind of "sports exhibition" There are figure skaters tougher than that pussy 

punk would not have lasted past his first contract back in the day, that statement is straight delusional lol

15 hours ago, Jetster said:

I haven't seen that hard of a hit on a QB this year? Most get hurt by getting lifted & driven into the ground like Rogers. The game is completely pussified.

there are always hard hits on QBs, happens all the time.  It's easy to call the game pussified while watching on TV.  What you don't realize is how much bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic players are today.  what looks like a routine hit would have killed a man 30 years ago.

13 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

LOL. Just.....lol.

That is what I did when I read your post.

4 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

LOL Bro,,,, WHAT??? Who are you kidding?! 

Biggest pussy to ever perform in any kind of "sports exhibition" There are figure skaters tougher than that pussy 

punk would not have lasted past his first contract back in the day, that statement is straight delusional lol

you just don't have a clue  if you think an NFL QB is a pussy. 

what a pussy! and this hit was by a "little guy"

320 lb man coming down on Brady

just a love tap from Calvin Pace.

t_brady_110116_300.jpg

There are a million examples, the funny thing is I have heard people say Joe Montana was better b/c the game was tougher back then and people forget that in the 80s there was the "in the grasp" rule where the play was whistled dead if a defender wrapped up a QB.  Eli's play SB XLII never happens in the 80s b/c the play is blown dead but yeah players today are pussies and they were much tougher back then:rolleyes:

How far back you gonna go to find examples of Brady being hit? Lol. Dude threw 50 times in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl & didn't get touched. But that's because he has the greatest offensive line ever created, lmao! Get your head out of your azz, the NFL was getting 1 million a minute or more for advertising during the Super Bowl. Down 28-3 in a blowout, those officials were told, keep the flags in your pockets.

To have a comeback that tremendous, just two holding calls on 3rd down in that entire half could have changed the outcome but even though Brady dropped back like 62 times I believe his line was called for holding once in the 1st half. Every player who has ever played in the NFL says holding could be called on every play. Hell, the Jets are usually called for holding in almost every opening series like the 1st play of the game Sunday. 

Archived