Goodell on thin ice (finally)

Philc1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

They may need to get him out. Players don't trust him, and the new CBA talks are going to very tense as it is. Owners may need a new voice before that. 

i think the dollar signs are hurting him big time now

3 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

I would love this. Look at Adam Silve (NBA commish) and look at Goodell. One is a great guy always on the side of fans and players. The other is a pompous ass. He also let Pats get away cheap with Deflategate and Spygate. 

Silver is also terrible and the nba’s popularity is going down (regular season ratings down 6% last year).  Silver is a puppet of David Stern and over his head

KP and the Knicks might be able to bail him

out tho

Just now, Philc1 said:

I agree, very bad publicity, but when you think how much $ he has put in the owners pockets over his years, you can somewhat justify it. Not saying I agree with it, but that you could make a case, that's all. I think the biggest problem as I said  earlier, is just the hatred for him from the players. That will not go away.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree, very bad publicity, but when you think how much $ he has put in the owners pockets over his years, you can somewhat justify it. Not saying I agree with it, but that you could make a case, that's all. I think the biggest problem as I said  earlier, is just the hatred for him from the players. That will not go away.

Goodell loves to take credit for the nfl doing well in the 00’s but he had little to do with it.  Fantasy Football helped the sport’s popularity plus the game sold itself

But now the cord cutters are killing ratings plus you have all these clowns who think they deserve a Bronze Star for boycotting because of Colin Crapernick and owners are moving teams out of markets that sell out games like Oakland and San Diego just cuz owners are greedy

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly can't think of one good thing Goodell has done. He thought he was David Stern with these London and Mexico games. He's a tool. Get him out asap. 

Goodell maximized the owners profits which in turn maximized the players contracts but he did it all at the expense of the game. So in the long run he will be remembered as a bad commish. I really hope he's gone soon.

Well he did what any good corp executive does, made the company a tons of money with a view on short term gain, after a bit of success he felt all success was due to him and ruled like he owned the place and now the league is going downwards, in large part due to some of his earlier moves.

57 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

I would love this. Look at Adam Silve (NBA commish) and look at Goodell. One is a great guy always on the side of fans and players. The other is a pompous ass. He also let Pats get away cheap with Deflategate and Spygate. 

Lets not forget that after the OTL report came out about brady* circumventing the salary cap and getting paid through his trainer's company (or whatever the hell the story is), it was immediately squashed and we have heard nothing about it since. Not even a single follow up.

1 hour ago, Fibonacci said:

Silver is always on the side of the fans?  what has silver done for the fans? 

you know Goodell suspended Brady for 4 games over nothing, right?

56 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Goodell loves to take credit for the nfl doing well in the 00’s but he had little to do with it.  Fantasy Football helped the sport’s popularity plus the game sold itself

But now the cord cutters are killing ratings plus you have all these clowns who think they deserve a Bronze Star for boycotting because of Colin Crapernick and owners are moving teams out of markets that sell out games like Oakland and San Diego just cuz owners are greedy

I think Goodell deserves some credit for that and I think he was doing a good job until the Ray Rice fiasco and ever since he's been struggling making the right decisions.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Silver is always on the side of the fans?  what has silver done for the fans? 

you know Goodell suspended Brady for 4 games over nothing, right?

For me, he tried to cut down on back to back games to take away the excuse for teams to rest star players. He also tried to legalize gambling. He is also liked by players and overall a great guy.

So Brady was suspended for nothing. You sure you are nyjunc? You sound like a Patjunc?

3 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

For me, he tried to cut down on back to back games to take away the excuse for teams to rest star players. He also tried to legalize gambling. He is also liked by players and overall a great guy.

So Brady was suspended for nothing. You sure you are nyjunc? You sound like a Patjunc?

yes he did do that this year but that issue should not have come up, forever they have played 82 and teams didn't rest players.  why do these pampered players need to rest all the time now? he should have taken care of that immediately but he does deserve credit for addressing it even though it lengthens an already too long reg season.

he also ok'd ads on uniforms so teams will eventually look like European soccer teams.

the players like him b/c he is a push over, he will support anything they want whether real or not.  He's a local guy not far from me, I don't know him.  he seems like a nice guy but who knows?  I think he's doing a decent job taking over for a legendary commissioner but time will tell.

I'd love to see Brady suspended for 16 games but he did nothing wrong.  Nothing was proven, every QB likes the feel of the ball a little different and it was sour grapes by a whiny Colts team who got crushed.  2 weeks later against an all time great D in the SB w/ the world watching he led his team back from 10 pts down in the 4th qtr and added another SB win last year.  The ball was never a real issue and the game's greatest QB was suspended for it for no reason.

Goodell is great at making money. Give him a dime he will turn it into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

That being said he is a PR disaster. 

CTE

Spygate

Bountygate

Deflategate

Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, Elliott, and of course the National Anthem protests all have been handled horribly.

The players hate him, the fans hate him, the owners are starting to split over him.

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I honestly can't think of one good thing Goodell has done. He thought he was David Stern with these London and Mexico games. He's a tool. Get him out asap. 

He has made the owners more money. That is it, but that is all that matters to the owners.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

the guy wants north of 40million plus unlimited use of a private jet plus unlimited medical care for his kids for their lifetimes.  unbelievable.  heck i'll bet sperm edwards would take the job for half that.

based on how the viewership is declining and the players are controlling too much on top of the owners getting all sorts of tax perks it's time for goodell to move on.

They should whack Goodell just to get a new set of ideas in there. That said, the decline of the league can be traced directly to Jerry Jones and Bob Kraft taking the reins after Wellington Mara and Dan Rooney died. Those two ****boys have been squeezing the players and fans for every nickel and now they’re paying the price. The rumor that they’ll force Jones out if he files suit against the league gives one hope that the Arthur Blanks and John Maras recognize where the real problems with the league lie.

It's kind of hilarious watching the owners and fans pray for the downfall of Goodell, as though there is just some great savior who is going to step in and right all of the wrongs from Tagliabue and Goodell. As if there is no way in hell anything could be worse. Clearly none of you watch The Wire or Game of Thrones, because this is the point in the story right before Marlo takes over as kingpin, or Cersei gets the throne.

14 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Lets not forget that after the OTL report came out about brady* circumventing the salary cap and getting paid through his trainer's company (or whatever the hell the story is), it was immediately squashed and we have heard nothing about it since. Not even a single follow up.

Yes he sells protein shakes to the Pats, with his TB12 company for only $38,000 per serving :-)

Goodell has to be one of the worst commissioners in the history of modern sports.  He’s botched almost every imaginable major situation making a mockery of the NFL name and everyone hates him other than five owners who might be insane.

The whole thing is surreal.

11 hours ago, nico002 said:

Name one thing Goodell has don’t to grow the popularity of the game.

he hit the lottery coming in as technology and the internet peaked and make fantasy and the nfl cool again m.

Exactly, Goodell was in the right place at the right time vs being some great money maker...

Like all of the "superstar" players today, they coasted down a mountain that was built by those before them and could not even find a way to pay medical for the old guard - most of the real stars of this game died poor or have made more in the broadcast booth...

His shortsightedness killed the NFL Europe development league without a replacement, then allowed the new CBA to reduce practice time - skill level in the NFL is at an all time low 

He resisted then eventually cashed in on fantasy football

Created the No Fun League - and recently tried to fix it with these stupid end zone skits

Increased penalties in the name of player safety, and on the subject will we ever know the truth about concussion gate...

The NFL network, Thursday night football, Regular season games in London and Mexico City - really?

I agree that a new commish (owners puppet) will not make everything better but maybe we can find someone who realizes the continuity of the game and quality of play is why they make money - this is not a Broadway show... 

12 hours ago, nico002 said:

Name one thing Goodell has don’t to grow the popularity of the game.

he hit the lottery coming in as technology and the internet peaked and make fantasy and the nfl cool again m.

International games

Thursday Night football

Night playoff games

making Sun Night the premier night game and still getting a billion dollars for crappy Mon night slate from espn.

flex scheduling

no games missed to labor disputes

embracing fantasy football

NFL network

RedZone channel

he has overseen all of this growth.  Right now he is in a tough spot w/ the war on football w/ concussions, former players claiming they didn't know it was dangerous and suing the league(this is why the player safety rules are in place), the Europeanization of the US which is bashing "manly" sports like football and pumping up weak sports like soccer, the protests which he should have taken care of immediately but didn't want to piss off all the players.  The last few years have been very difficult, he hasn't done a great job in recent years but he's been in a no win situation often.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's kind of hilarious watching the owners and fans pray for the downfall of Goodell, as though there is just some great savior who is going to step in and right all of the wrongs from Tagliabue and Goodell. As if there is no way in hell anything could be worse. Clearly none of you watch The Wire or Game of Thrones, because this is the point in the story right before Marlo takes over as kingpin, or Cersei gets the throne.

Goodell is no Avon Barksdale. YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

Archived