Goodell on thin ice (finally)

Philc1

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Exactly, Goodell was in the right place at the right time vs being some great money maker...

Like all of the "superstar" players today, they coasted down a mountain that was built by those before them and could not even find a way to pay medical for the old guard - most of the real stars of this game died poor or have made more in the broadcast booth...

His shortsightedness killed the NFL Europe development league without a replacement, then allowed the new CBA to reduce practice time - skill level in the NFL is at an all time low 

He resisted then eventually cashed in on fantasy football

Created the No Fun League - and recently tried to fix it with these stupid end zone skits

Increased penalties in the name of player safety, and on the subject will we ever know the truth about concussion gate...

The NFL network, Thursday night football, Regular season games in London and Mexico City - really?

I agree that a new commish (owners puppet) will not make everything better but maybe we can find someone who realizes the continuity of the game and quality of play is why they make money - this is not a Broadway show... 

Do you know what I liken this to? Very similar to Bill Clintons time in the Whitehouse. He just happened to be president when literally the greatest thing since the Railroad came along, INTERNET COMPANIES. Do you know how much money was invested in internet start ups during that period? Offices were popping up all over the place, I was working in Boston & everyweek another start up opened their doors. Wow, did you see how Bill Clinton balanced the budget? GTFOOH! That was free enterprise run amok,lol. Clinton was standing there while thousands of companies were created overnight.

That's Roger Goodell. The NFL has gotten worse under his watch but interest in fantasy football has exploded! I went to a Sunday Night Jet game years ago vs the Pats, so first my buddy & I went to Brooklyn Brewery, then had a late lunch at Peter Lugars & every young person in that place was checking their fantasy scores, even young chicks, it was hilarious. Goodell is just a lucky f*cker in the right place, at the right time, and even though he's done his best to f*ck this game up, he's still getting paid crazy money. Some people just really do step right in sh*t that turns into GOLD.

The situation with Goodell is that he really deserves very little of the credit, but the NFL is also hardly going to have some miraculous turn around if/when he leaves.  The absurdity of what he's asking for is enough reason to replace him, given that he's done absolutely nothing to deserve that.  The NFL was already on a meteoric rise when he took over, and that simply continued on, with very little impact, neither positive nor negative, from him.  It's now on a downward trend for a very long list of reasons, and there are no innocent parties involved in the NFL for that, be it owners, players, or anyone in between.  Goodell has mostly been a stooge in his time in the position, and could be replaced by just about anyone at a fraction of the cost with little noticeable difference.

Ultimately, his position is to be the fall-guy for the NFL, and with the league on the downward trend and his laughably ridiculous demands coming at the same time, he's all but begging them to blame everything on him now, and find a new guy that could help with some short term PR, before that guy starts getting blamed for all of the other crap that happens.

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's kind of hilarious watching the owners and fans pray for the downfall of Goodell, as though there is just some great savior who is going to step in and right all of the wrongs from Tagliabue and Goodell. As if there is no way in hell anything could be worse. Clearly none of you watch The Wire or Game of Thrones, because this is the point in the story right before Marlo takes over as kingpin, or Cersei gets the throne.

Cersei is a sexy dirty naked b*tch though !

I think most here fall for too much crap from ESPN and Fox sports. If you listen to then Goodell is the devil and the players are all angels.  Does he deserve 40 mill, hell no but do players deserve what they are getting, its a very large honey pot and he is the pinata.  Lets remember that he works for the owners and does what they say.  Most decisions are based on profitability (Greed) and do most owners give 2 sh*ts about the fans?  The sports networks only care about stirring up controversy to improve their ratings, I mean did you really care about ray rice and that he only got 2 games before ESPN got all the women stirred up about domestic violence?    As for the players most could not care about goodell. There are maybe 20 players that do and they are union reps or guys who get into trouble.  For the record, he would not have gone after Brady if the rest of the owners, including Jerry Jones, wanted him to purse it diligently.   It was never about the damm ball it was Brady sitting there before the super bowl with the dumb smug smile on his face lying through his teeth that he knew nothing and could not tell the difference if the ball was soft and made the nfl look like assholes.  If he is fired we just get a Jerry puppet and then the league will really suck. 

10 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The situation with Goodell is that he really deserves very little of the credit, but the NFL is also hardly going to have some miraculous turn around if/when he leaves.  The absurdity of what he's asking for is enough reason to replace him, given that he's done absolutely nothing to deserve that.  The NFL was already on a meteoric rise when he took over, and that simply continued on, with very little impact, neither positive nor negative, from him.  It's now on a downward trend for a very long list of reasons, and there are no innocent parties involved in the NFL for that, be it owners, players, or anyone in between.  Goodell has mostly been a stooge in his time in the position, and could be replaced by just about anyone at a fraction of the cost with little noticeable difference.

Ultimately, his position is to be the fall-guy for the NFL, and with the league on the downward trend and his laughably ridiculous demands coming at the same time, he's all but begging them to blame everything on him now, and find a new guy that could help with some short term PR, before that guy starts getting blamed for all of the other crap that happens.

It's almost as if he's realized he can walk away now and be fine, and thus is making ridiculous demands just to see if the owners would be stupid enough to do it. 

And he almost got away with that.  Despite being over a year away from his contract expiring, the compensation committee was practically rushing to hand him everything before Jones got involved.  

If they refuse, he'll just say "Cool, have fun dealing with this mess!"

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's almost as if he's realized he can walk away now and be fine, and thus is making ridiculous demands just to see if the owners would be stupid enough to do it. 

And he almost got away with that.  Despite being over a year away from his contract expiring, the compensation committee was practically rushing to hand him everything before Jones got involved.  

If they refuse, he'll just say "Cool, have fun dealing with this mess!"

Just like every other scum sucking political lawyer 

22 hours ago, nyjunc said:

International games

Thursday Night football

Night playoff games

making Sun Night the premier night game and still getting a billion dollars for crappy Mon night slate from espn.

flex scheduling

no games missed to labor disputes

embracing fantasy football

NFL network

RedZone channel

he has overseen all of this growth.  Right now he is in a tough spot w/ the war on football w/ concussions, former players claiming they didn't know it was dangerous and suing the league(this is why the player safety rules are in place), the Europeanization of the US which is bashing "manly" sports like football and pumping up weak sports like soccer, the protests which he should have taken care of immediately but didn't want to piss off all the players.  The last few years have been very difficult, he hasn't done a great job in recent years but he's been in a no win situation often.

No one cares about the international games and Direct TV developed Redzone which btw is now eating into Sunday afternoon game ratings

I wonder what “embracing fantasy” means.  The leagues are administered by  private third party websites and fans

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No one cares about the international games and Direct TV developed Redzone which btw is now eating into Sunday afternoon game ratings

I wonder what “embracing fantasy” means.  The leagues are administered by  private third party websites and fans

of course football fans don't care but it has grown the game in worldwide popularity and in revenue so the owners and those that have a financial stake in the game love it.

Embracing fantasy means they have dedicated shows, they show fantasy stats at games.  Fantasy has been around a long time, it's really only been in the last decade that the NFL has really acknowledged it and embraced it and that was under the leadership of Goodell.

13 hours ago, Greensince69 said:

I think most here fall for too much crap from ESPN and Fox sports. If you listen to then Goodell is the devil and the players are all angels.  Does he deserve 40 mill, hell no but do players deserve what they are getting, its a very large honey pot and he is the pinata.  Lets remember that he works for the owners and does what they say.  Most decisions are based on profitability (Greed) and do most owners give 2 sh*ts about the fans?  The sports networks only care about stirring up controversy to improve their ratings, I mean did you really care about ray rice and that he only got 2 games before ESPN got all the women stirred up about domestic violence?    As for the players most could not care about goodell. There are maybe 20 players that do and they are union reps or guys who get into trouble.  For the record, he would not have gone after Brady if the rest of the owners, including Jerry Jones, wanted him to purse it diligently.   It was never about the damm ball it was Brady sitting there before the super bowl with the dumb smug smile on his face lying through his teeth that he knew nothing and could not tell the difference if the ball was soft and made the nfl look like assholes.  If he is fired we just get a Jerry puppet and then the league will really suck. 

I partially agree here but disagree on his worth.  I think you are worth financially whatever someone is willing to pay you and the owners wouldn't pay him that insane amount if he wasn't doing what they want.  Jerry is just upset b/c he went after one of his most important players but the one thing about him is he isn't afraid to suspend the most popular and best players. 

11 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I partially agree here but disagree on his worth.  I think you are worth financially whatever someone is willing to pay you and the owners wouldn't pay him that insane amount if he wasn't doing what they want.  Jerry is just upset b/c he went after one of his most important players but the one thing about him is he isn't afraid to suspend the most popular and best players. 

Not the first time he busted Brady ... Godell bent over and let Robert Kraft pound his p**p chute instead of doling out the punishment to cheaters that was deserved

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

of course football fans don't care but it has grown the game in worldwide popularity and in revenue so the owners and those that have a financial stake in the game love it.

Embracing fantasy means they have dedicated shows, they show fantasy stats at games.  Fantasy has been around a long time, it's really only been in the last decade that the NFL has really acknowledged it and embraced it and that was under the leadership of Goodell.

NFL games were being broadcast on SKY in Europe long  before Roger Goodell.  The Super Bowl in the 90’s was broadcast in 150 different countries

You struggle to elaborate on the “embracing fantasy” statement.  Most of the fantasy shows are on ESPN and Fox Sports.  NFL network has fantasy stuff but that’s because as a network it’s starved of programming 

54 minutes ago, ljr said:

Not the first time he busted Brady ... Godell bent over and let Robert Kraft pound his p**p chute instead of doling out the punishment to cheaters that was deserved

Only reason Goodell even attempted to punish the Cheaters for deglategate was the other 31 owners and the media called him out.  If not for that nothing would have happened 

10 hours ago, ljr said:

what other times was Brady busted for anything? they busted the Pats multiple times which is why I believe they handed this sentence down but not Brady and what Brady was doing was inconsequential.

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

NFL games were being broadcast on SKY in Europe long  before Roger Goodell.  The Super Bowl in the 90’s was broadcast in 150 different countries

You struggle to elaborate on the “embracing fantasy” statement.  Most of the fantasy shows are on ESPN and Fox Sports.  NFL network has fantasy stuff but that’s because as a network it’s starved of programming 

awesome but they still grew the game globally under Goodell.

do you watch NFL network?  they have fantasy stats scrolling all the time, RZ focuses on fantasy and it's more than just that.  they give fantasy stats in the Stadiums which they never did before Goodell.  was it his idea? I have no clue but it was done under him, a lot of great things(for the owners) have been done under Goodell which is why he is popular w/ owners not named Jerry Jones and Jerry loved him before the Zeke stuff.

DERAILMENT ALERT: Typical Boston sports fans...all celebrating the celtics gift wrapped win last night as if it was not completely biased in favor of the Boston team. Just like the cheating pats which Goodell did not punished properly for spygate (the bigger and more consequential pats* cheating scandal).

Anyway, carry on.

32 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what other times was Brady busted for anything? they busted the Pats multiple times which is why I believe they handed this sentence down but not Brady and what Brady was doing was inconsequential.

do you watch NFL network?  they have fantasy stats scrolling all the time, RZ focuses on fantasy and it's more than just that.  they give fantasy stats in the Stadiums which they never did before Goodell.  was it his idea? I have no clue but it was done under him, a lot of great things(for the owners) have been done under Goodell which is why he is popular w/ owners not named Jerry Jones and Jerry loved him before the Zeke stuff.

You love to make these broad generic statements that have no statistical basis in reality.  “Embracing fantasy” “grew the game globally”  how about this one? “Sucked Bob Kraft’s c0ck until it became inconvenient”?

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You love to make these broad generic statements that have no statistical basis in reality.  “Embracing fantasy” “grew the game globally”  how about this one? “Sucked Bob Kraft’s c0ck until it became inconvenient”?

just b/c you dislike the guy doesn't mean there's no basis in reality.  in the old days the NFL stay away from anything gambling related, fantasy football is gambling and again they have embraced it in the last decade or so.

Bob Kraft is THE best owner in the sport if not in all of sports and yet Goodell had the guts to go after his team and the greatest QB to ever play the game and di so w/ no real evidence.  It never became inconvenient, the easy thing would have been to ignore deflategate as it was actually nothing.

39 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

DERAILMENT ALERT: Typical Boston sports fans...all celebrating the celtics gift wrapped win last night as if it was not completely biased in favor of the Boston team. Just like the cheating pats which Goodell did not punished properly for spygate (the bigger and more consequential pats* cheating scandal).

Anyway, carry on.

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You keep telling us you're a jets fan. Why in everything holy would you have anything to say to that when it has nothing to do with you, the jets, or unc*? Especially responding like a typical masshole fan would.

I liked it better when you pretended to ignore me after I put you in your place.

On 11/14/2017 at 3:40 PM, Kleckineau said:

Notice all the NFL military friendly ads and the CS wearing camo clothing lately?

Goodell is trying to reverse the neg PR trend. 

download.jpg

Even cheerleaders

You mean same as every Veteran's/Armistice Day for ages?

On 11/15/2017 at 10:46 PM, Rangers9 said:

He's asking for $49 million a year and perks including lifetime access to a personal jet. And permission to suspend star players esp guys on the Cowboys?.

He was making at least $44M for years.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:00 AM, Hitman Harris said:

Just like every other scum sucking political lawyer 

Blow me!  :)

5 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You keep telling us you're a jets fan. Why in everything holy would you have anything to say to that when it has nothing to do with you, the jets, or unc*? Especially responding like a typical masshole fan would.

I liked it better when you pretended to ignore me after I put you in your place.

YOU put ME in my place?

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Archived