Interesting Francessa points

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macc needs a home run draft-that is 5 or more good players-in the 2018 draft, plus smart FA signings (including his own), to get this team competitive for the playoffs in 2018.  I give that less than 50/50.

Although I think Adams and Maye are a net positive, I am not a fan of the 3,4 and 5 round picks.  Scrap heap finds are nice, but they have been mostly one year contracts.  Hitting on draft picks gives a team 4 years of cheap, motivated labor.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Someone says something positive (and correct) about the Jets and the usual suspects rush in to denounce it...   don't worry.  everyone is wrong but you guys. 

So, today Francesca is good and all smart-like.  And correct?  It's a horoscope.  Name the team that isn't a few key pieces away from great in the same way the Jets are?

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Most of you will probably disagree with this but I'll post it anyway.

- Said that he has heard from people that they compare the Jets defense at this stage to what Seattle's defense was when they were just getting started. That the potential for a fantastic defense is there.

- Said that safeties are now VERY important in the way modern defenses are played, and that the Jets got two studs.

- Said that he sees an infrastructure in place that can grow into a solid team. That the franchise is in a good place.

- Said they needed to find a QB otherwise they're going nowhere. That Hackenberg was a wasted pick but a lot of GMs have "blind spots" for guys.

It's not surprising how remarkably contradictory the two bold statements are.

Glad we have you to keep us abreast of what Francessa and every idiot on Twiter thinks.

Seattle's defense, at any stage of their ascension into relevancy, would have never let Fitz beat them. They would have feasted on him.

We, as usual, have some guys that whet the palette of fans. The rest is sh*t that gets built up via fan hyperbole. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

This is gonna be a fun thread to bump:

- during FA when we're blowing our load on aging Vets.

- during the draft when we can't draft a top tier QB prospect.

- when we inevitably trade for Alex Smith because we missed out on the aforementioned QBs.

- when we're having a disastrous season next year and it turns out that we *gasp* do not actually have a core similar to Seattle's, pre-Russell Wilson.

- when Macc and Bowles are fired.

- when we hire the Financial Advisor to John Lynch to be our GM because no one good wants the job.

- when we hire Hue Jackson to be our Head Coach because no one good wants the job.

- 3 years into their tenures when we're in the same exact situation as right now and you Sunshine Farters are telling us that losing Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye to FA and being forced to trade a disgruntled Leo Williams, all of who got tired of losing and were not taking discounts to help us shed some CAP space, was actually a good thing and we're literally a QB, Pass Rusher, CB, and OL away from creating a dynasty only surpassed by the Ancient Greeks and Romans.

#TheFutureIsBright

These posts work better when at least one of the "points" is at least a little realistic.

33 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, today Francesca is good and all smart-like.  And correct?  It's a horoscope.  Name the team that isn't a few key pieces away from great in the same way the Jets are?

Name the team that doesn't need an upgrade at at least 3 of the 5 position groups that everyone always whines about.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

These posts work better when at least one of the "points" is at least a little realistic.

Right.  

The scenarios where we get a Franchise QB, Bowles becomes the modern day Parcells, Macc's picks make him look like Ozzie Newsome, and we build a dynasty around our Seattle-esque core are the most realistic ones.

My points that basically rehash the last 10-20 years of Jets football are the unrealistic ones.

#JeddupBabby

PFF isn't the best gauge, but they at least try to be objective.

Amongst our young cornerstone players (Jenkins, Lee, Williams, ASJ, Maye/Adams, Powell, Anderson) there is a two way tie for best.  Leonard Williams and ASJ are both ranked as the 25th best player at their position in the league.

Frankly, that's not very good.  That means they're amongst the worst starting caliber players at their positions.  Maye and Adams are Rookies and they're both showing mid 2nd safety levels (in the 30s and 40s).

Anderson is an average 2 in the 40s (and imo overrated).  Lee is way at the bottom of the rankings, there are backup lbers that are ranked higher. 

(I wouldn't call DD young, but he is ranked as the 16th best lb, which is very good).

We have really no long term solution at RB, OL, OLB, likely multiple spots on the DL, QB, we need a true young WR1 and a young CB1.  And yea, we probably aren't set at ILB either.

So basically other than safety, we have talent problems almost everywhere.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

It makes me laugh in the modern NFL. Only a few postions really matter, the rest are fillers. We need a QB!!!!! The rest you can plug in. Draft a fooking QB and not in the 4th or 2nd. Go sell the fooking farm get one!!!!  I don't care if we don't have a 1st round pick for years if we get a real QB!

This

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Safeties are more important than they once were, however if you do not have a good rest of the roster teams will just schema round them.  Our young safeties have to be near lock down in coverage and make plays to be considered studs.

Re our soon to be all world defense, we need at least one top end CB we have to get a really good pass rusher.

The team as it is now has:

- No starting QB

- A bad oline that require a minimum of LT and C

- Mediocre RBS

- One 'threat' Wr and not much else.

- No pass rushing OLB

- Badly in need of a starting CB

- Unbelievably might even need a Dlineman if we dump mo wilk as we should

If we go to the lengths we are going to have to go to get the franchise QB by trading up kiss goodbye high picks for about two years at least.

This team has filled in some holes in some positions but is a long ways away from contending.

If we had a FQB these problems (other than probably OL) would almost seem irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well, clearly we need to draft two more safeties int he 1st and 2nd next year, and reup Bowles and Macc for 10 years because they are all clearly so vital.:rolleyes:

Francessa is a dipsh*t and a Giants guy, always has been, he's not suddenly right because he says something vaguely nice about the Jets.

Francesa has been hammering the Giants lately btw.  I think he was upset at the Jet organization during the Rex era but lately he's been complimentary of the team.

1 minute ago, Jolot said:

I kindve scrolled through the thread a little quick, but something just hit me ...was Demario Davis compared to Bobby Wagner on page 1? Asking for a friend . 

Not sure of the answer to your question but is there any chance you can get me a toe?  Asking for a friend.

46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's not surprising how remarkably contradictory the two bold statements are.

Glad we have you to keep us abreast of what Francessa and every idiot on Twiter thinks.

I thought the same thing.  Needing a QB is pretty much the same as being a world away from being a legit contender.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Safeties are more important than they once were, however if you do not have a good rest of the roster teams will just schema round them.  Our young safeties have to be near lock down in coverage and make plays to be considered studs.

Re our soon to be all world defense, we need at least one top end CB we have to get a really good pass rusher.

The team as it is now has:

- No starting QB

- A bad oline that require a minimum of LT and C

- Mediocre RBS

- One 'threat' Wr and not much else.

- No pass rushing OLB

- Badly in need of a starting CB

- Unbelievably might even need a Dlineman if we dump mo wilk as we should

If we go to the lengths we are going to have to go to get the franchise QB by trading up kiss goodbye high picks for about two years at least.

This team has filled in some holes in some positions but is a long ways away from contending.

What about Quincy Enunwa and Santonio Kearse?

If we trade away a lot of our draft resources over this and next year to get the QB, we will have to use the 80-90M in cap space starting this year to definitely at least fill several Oline positions, which many teams have done over the last few years since rookies are hard to start there esepcially at LT and C, and the past draft or two has not been greate for olineman. With the rest of the available cap space we will have to try to upgrade somewhat at WR, CB, etc. Pass rushers don't grow on trees so who knows how to address that position. This route I have stated is better than using almost half of this cap space for Cousins or Smith at QB. We all know deep down coming on our O and then not having much money left to get weapons for them and Olineman won't work and will be like the Neil O. QB deal we went through. The only way it could work is with the draft picks we save to not trade up for a QB we would have to hit on every one of them at WR, RB, 2 Olineman, CB, Edge Rusher, etc. That is just too much to ask.

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Most of you will probably disagree with this but I'll post it anyway.

- Said that he has heard from people that they compare the Jets defense at this stage to what Seattle's defense was when they were just getting started. That the potential for a fantastic defense is there.

- Said that safeties are now VERY important in the way modern defenses are played, and that the Jets got two studs.

- Said that he sees an infrastructure in place that can grow into a solid team. That the franchise is in a good place.

- Said they needed to find a QB otherwise they're going nowhere. That Hackenberg was a wasted pick but a lot of GMs have "blind spots" for guys.

He's right

3 hours ago, Pac said:

Someone says something positive (and correct) about the Jets and the usual suspects rush in to denounce it...   don't worry.  everyone is wrong but you guys. 

Thats right. Now STFU. LOL J/K but you have to see it from both sides. The skill players suck. S-U-C-K. RB is a mess. No bonafide #1 WR. Kearse is fine but he is a borderline 2 and Anderson is a deep threat who is too small to go over the middle. Enuwa showed some promise but had a very bad injury and need's to prove he can even come back from it. Jenkins has looked good but is a FA. Yeah I know the OL sucks but that is another hole that need's to be filled at multiple positions. You keep talking all this cap space bullsh*t but if they go out and sign Counsins thats 30 mil right off the top. Add in one or two premium OL and a CB plus bringing back Jenkins and those "studly" defensive players and all of a sudden that cap space is disappearing. Plus they have to sign draft pics that's not even addressing the non existent pass rush and you see all that cap space go bye bye. Optimism is a good thing but ignoring this teams flaws because of some minimal improvement on defense is a recipe for disaster.

Oh and Francessa is a pompous Giant shill who has no business even commenting on the Jets.

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, Jolot said:

So he said we are only a franchise QB away from being a pretty good team , nice work Mike . 

He's got 6 hours a day to fill for another month. He's gonna spew a great deal of down home nonsensical gibberish until then. 

1 hour ago, Jolot said:

I kindve scrolled through the thread a little quick, but something just hit me ...was Demario Davis compared to Bobby Wagner on page 1? Asking for a friend . 

tl;dr version: Francesa’s driver told him that the Jets drafted two safeties last May and Francesa remembered that Seattle also has two safeties, then squeezed a few segments out of elaborating upon this obvious, though amazing, parallel. UnitedWhoFans, whilst cloistered in a compound out near Red Bank, was fooling with his ham radio looking for mentions of “the Jets” and stumbled upon the 660 MHZ signal just in time and then fired up the old TRS-80 to share with us the good news.

19 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Thats right. Now STFU. LOL J/K but you have to see it from both sides. The skill players suck. S-U-C-K. RB is a mess. No bonafide #1 WR. Kearse is fine but he is a borderline 2 and Anderson is a deep threat who is too small to go over the middle. Enuwa showed some promise but had a very bad injury and need's to prove he can even come back from it. Jenkins has looked good but is a FA. Yeah I know the OL sucks but that is another hole that need's to be filled at multiple positions. You keep talking all this cap space bullsh*t but if they go out and sign Counsins thats 30 mil right off the top. Add in one or two premium OL and a CB plus bringing back Jenkins and those "studly" defensive players and all of a sudden that cap space is disappearing. Plus they have to sign draft pics that's not even addressing the non existent pass rush and you see all that cap space go bye bye. Optimism is a good thing but ignoring this teams flaws because of some minimal improvement on defense is a recipe for disaster.

Just because I let people try to portray me as a pollyannish homer doesn't mean it's true.  All I've been really been saying is McCown is the best QB on the roster, we have young talent, and the team chemistry is vastly improved.  What's so crazy about that?

I happen to believe the future is indeed bright because we are improving the character of the team while adding talented players.  It's far from a finished product but I see Macc working and approve of what he's trying to do.

He tried to trade up for Wentz and it didn't work out.  The only egregious error during his tenure was missing on Dak but so did everyone else 3 times over.

Cousins isn't getting 30 Million a year but I don't necessarily want the Jets to be the team to give him 25 Mil a year either.  I think the plan is to target 3 QB's in the draft and do whatever they can to get one.  Hopefully that QB displays enough in training camp to name him the starter with McCown and Hack as your 2 and 3.

From what I've read there is good RB depth in the draft and the 90 Mil can be used to shore up all the areas of the team that need attention.

I'm looking very much forward to what happens come March and April.  No reason we can't be contenders next year with a little luck.  I trust Macc to get it done.

Archived